Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #121
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have I ever told you guys I'm a dumbass? For some reason I just keep buying shit I don't need instead of finishing this damn car...

Got some boxes today, there was some cool stuff inside.

I found a set of 18x10 +25 RGII's, apparently they were "display" wheels that had tires, but never say the road. I couldn't resist, price was right and here I am with another set of wheels. Above the Pana's and all of the other wheels I've owned these are my all time favorite wheel, deep concave face and GOLD

Also got some stuff sorted with the engine, swapped the S14 water neck for an S13 one and threw a new coolant temp sensor in. Engine is officially ready to be dropped into the car!

Also bolted my trans up to check if I had the correct throwout sleeve, turn out I don't. The fork is sitting too far forward, not sure if its because of the Z33 fork or something else. I'm going to order the next size down and see if that get me where I need to be, not trying to pull the trans after it goes back in.

Lastly I got some wiring goodies, getting the E-Fans setup has been something I have been trying to work out for a bit. Got a recommendation from a friend and picked up some super nice sealed relays and fuse holders from ProWire US. Also got some Weather Pack connectors for my fans to clean things up. I'm completely new to the world of automotive wiring, but I am super excited to learn.

Engine is going into the car tomorrow
Old 04-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #122
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Engine is in the car This G25 looks so damn small when its all mocked up

Dropped the radiator back in to check fan clearance and it clears, but juuuust barely. Hopefully this won't cause any issues down the line.

Fuel lines up next, throwout sleeve is a few days out, but once that gets here it should be good to set back on the ground and address wiring!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #123
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Very nice work, my guy. Could you drop a line/info on the components you used to wire in your fans? Looks like you did a real nice job with that.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #124
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
Very nice work, my guy. Could you drop a line/info on the components you used to wire in your fans? Looks like you did a real nice job with that.
Sure, here are some links!

Fuse Holder

Sealed Relay Kit

Gave the car a spit shine and threw the front end back on, cannot describe how happy I am to see it looking like a car again! Hopefully the trans will go back in tomorrow and I am going to try and get tires mounted so I can set it down and see how the RG's fit.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #125
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Looks so good, keep it up man!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #126
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Worked some more things out over the last few days, its starting to get hot again so I need to get my shit together and wrap this up.

The engine harness came with wiring for the flex fuel sensor already added, but was missing wiring for oil pressure and fuel pressure and fan control. I'm completely new to wiring, I've cobbled some stuff together in the past, but nothing I'd be happy with running on this car.

So, I did my research, watched some videos and got to ordering stuff. Ended up with a few pairs of crimpers, 20awg TXL wire, ECU terminals, dual wall heat shrink, sleeve and DTM connectors. 4 way connector carries sensor 5v, sensor ground and signal from both fuel and oil pressure sensors. 2 way connector controls the fan relays, one terminal goes back to a 12v source and the other is pinned into a switched ground from the ECU. Took my time and what I ended up with turned out better than I expected!

Had some trouble finding a spot for the fuel filter, even though I have more room in the bay, the room isn't the most usable. Again something I've never done before, got some random sheet metal from the hardware store and got to work making templates out of cardboard. Filter got set behind the passenger strut tower, due to its overall length with fittings this was the best solution I could find for the time being. Boost solenoid got tucked away on the passenger side under the master cylinder.

Lastly, I got the PCV setup mostly sorted. Ended up ordering a Nuke Performance catch can, showed up in two days from Sweden Part is super quality, but again I couldn't find anywhere to put the damn thing. Settled on a spot under the nose panel and its actually perfect, entire setup is stealth and out of the way. -10an lines made up off the valve cover go over to the passenger side and under the headlight bucket, just need to get a -10an added to the intake tube to wrap everything up!

More to come soon!!
Old 04-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #127
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Damn... I'm all about this build. Seriously.

Been trying to convince my buddy to put an SR in his Z32 and get his Advan RGs coated gold too!

Very nice.
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #128
SidewaySSS

Trader Rating: (0)
SidewaySSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking great ��������
Does this mean there are some wheels for sale?
SidewaySSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #129
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinhed View Post
Damn... I'm all about this build. Seriously.

Been trying to convince my buddy to put an SR in his Z32 and get his Advan RGs coated gold too!

Very nice.
Thanks man! Keep pushing him, everyone I have talked to who has done the swap absolutely loves it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaySSS View Post
Looking great ��������
Does this mean there are some wheels for sale?
Haha, as much as I'd love to sell some wheels to recoup a bit of cash, I can't get rid of my Pana's. I think my plan is to hold onto them and re-lip for the S13 with overs.

Fuel lines in the bay are mostly complete now, missing a few fittings to finish the last line from FPR to flex fuel sensor. Filter placement seems good, was kind of concerned that it may look a bit awkward with lines ran.

Also drained my fuel tank, probably should have done it years ago... What came out ate all of the coating off of the tank

Last thing I need to do to sort the fuel system is to drop the pump in and run some fresh 5/16 line!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #130
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
FUUUUUUCK that's some fowl shit out of the tank good stuff man!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #131
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Nice work, man.
How old was the fuel that you drained from your tank?
I feel like I probably need to do that too...
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #132
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
FUUUUUUCK that's some fowl shit out of the tank good stuff man!
Got two 5 gallon buckets full of paint stripper now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
Nice work, man.
How old was the fuel that you drained from your tank?
I feel like I probably need to do that too...
I think it was around 3 years old, hurts to admit that because it dates when I took this thing apart
Old 04-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #133
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Did you use any sealant on the coolant pipe when you installed it? Or did you just do hammer time? I had some major leaking issues last time I reinstalled one (this was 2009-ish). I could never get it to seal. Would drip coolant as soon as it got warm.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #134
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Maybe I missed it but would the Altima fan conversion give you more clearance up front?

That would make me nervous considering the radiator mounts have rubber bushings and can flex a little...?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #135
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
Did you use any sealant on the coolant pipe when you installed it? Or did you just do hammer time? I had some major leaking issues last time I reinstalled one (this was 2009-ish). I could never get it to seal. Would drip coolant as soon as it got warm.
I just tapped it in, seemed to fit very snug, we'll see if it leaks once its running ahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97nismo View Post
Maybe I missed it but would the Altima fan conversion give you more clearance up front?

That would make me nervous considering the radiator mounts have rubber bushings and can flex a little...?
I doubt it, this setup isn't very thick overall, going to play with the radiator position a bit and see if I can move it forward to give me some more room. Hopefully I can get the clearance I need, if not, I'll just go back to the stock bracket.

Have a little update on the car, finally got the differential, axles and driveshaft back in and set the car back on the ground for the first time with an engine in it. Feels good to see if sitting on the ground again. Hopefully it will be off to fab this weekend to get a few things changed up.

Ended up selling my AEM V2 that I had for the car, was lacking some features I wanted and I didn't want to deal with trying to work around it. Picked up a Link G4X PnP for the car and got it installed into the factory Z32 ECU case. Huge thanks to @bardabe for getting me setup!

One of the main reasons I ditched the AEM was its inability to display critical information via the CAN stream. Since this car is mainly going to be a street car I wanted to keep the factory dash and run a few AEM X-Series CAN gauges to display oil pressure, fuel pressure, flex fuel etc. Picked up a nice din mount and love how clean and proper it looks with 3 matching gauges.

Not sure how much attention this will get for the next few months, its starting to get hellishly hot so it may go back to storage and sit for a bit even though its so close. Realistically shooting to have it tuned and ready to rock at the end of summer so I can enjoy it all winter long!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #136
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Car went for some more fab work and has been back for a bit, completely forgot to give an update because its so damn hot and I haven't touched it at all.

Intercooler piping was re-done, due to some changes in where the engine sits I the previous piping didn't fit properly. This piping also has all of the necessary fittings/nipples for IAVC, BOV and IAT. Also had a bracket made to set the PS reservoir between the BMC and clutch master, surprisingly there is not much room left in the bay with the SR. Engine bay is finally looking somewhat complete!

The exhaust also got modified a bit, chopped the downpipe about an inch to lift the entire exhaust up and the rear section was modified to help with clearance. Should let me go a bit lower without issue once I get the car all wrapped up, love the angled single exit look

Car got moved back to the barn for the final stretch of this project on the much needed new trailer I picked up. Can't wait for it to cool off a bit and finally get this thing on the road!

If I didn't already have enough projects, I decided to get my Great Grandpa's 92 F-150 with a 351cw back to a road worthy state so I could tow my junk around on the new trailer. Truck has been sitting for close to 20 years, but started right up with some fresh gas. Threw some maintenance parts at it, fresh tires/wheels and some leveling springs up front. Still needs some love to get past emissions, but it should be a great truck when its all buttoned up!

Old 07-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #137
EF_jaycee
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
EF_jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that obs is flawless
EF_jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #138
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Looking so good, great work!
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #139
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Looking fantastic! Do yourself a favor and get some of these for your braided hoses. Would really help to clean up the excellent work you are doing.

https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Separ.../dp/B079DNTPBH
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #140
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_jaycee View Post
that obs is flawless
I love it, its even cooler getting it running again and seeing all of my family reminisce over old memories with my Great Grandpa that I was never able to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
Looking so good, great work!
Thanks! Hopefully once it comes together it'll be everything I have wanted for the last 3+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
Looking fantastic! Do yourself a favor and get some of these for your braided hoses. Would really help to clean up the excellent work you are doing.

https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Separ.../dp/B079DNTPBH
Appreciate it! One day I hope to go on a venture with a Z32 chassis like you are doing with your Z31!

I for sure need some of those, the zip ties were meant to be temporary, but I never ended up ordering any separators
Old 07-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #141
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything about this is great. Hope to see it around later this year...?
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #142
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Brock who ended up fabricating your intercooler piping? I need to get some done as well.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #143
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmags91 View Post
Everything about this is great. Hope to see it around later this year...?
Thats the plan! For sure going to be driving it around town and probably take it out to the track a few times while I wrap my S13 up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Brock who ended up fabricating your intercooler piping? I need to get some done as well.
Nick at Wild Child did the intercooler piping, it came out really nice.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #144
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Car is off the trailer and with the weather cooling off I will be diving back into it soon.

Finally got a chance to throw the Jspec fascia and Stillen skirts on the car. The fascia completely changes the front of the car and the skirts flow well with it. Threw the RG's on one side and left the Pana's on the other, not 100% sure which set will stay on the car, but I think I am leaning toward the Pana's.

I also picked up a new oil pan for the car, since the Z32 comes factory with a rear sump pan, the front subframe needs to be notched to clear the SR oil pan. This isn't that big of a deal, but you get stuck with the stock SR pan which isn't great. I have wanted a rear sump pan since I started this swap and recently someone test fit a CXRacing SR Miata pan that clears the stock subframe with ease. I decided to pick one up and was really surprised that the pan its self is a quality piece.

The oil pickup on the other hand is far from adequate. Its strainer design is awful, it isn't braced to the girdle and it sits way too far forward in the sump*green tape is where the pickup sits*. The pickup is going to need to be re-made and when that is done I'm going to have some baffles added into the pan to make it a proper solution for my setup.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #145
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
strainer fix looks easy todo... setup lookn sweet!
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #146
BryanS14
Leaky Injector

BryanS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
The silver wheels look absolutely amazing on that car, they look like they mean business. The gold wheels look like what you throw on your N/A auto 300z in high school.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #147
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
I am leaning toward the Pana's.

Pana's 100%
Old 09-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #148
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
that catch can set up is fire!!!!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #149
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Looks like theres a convenient threaded hole on the main girdle just past where the pickup is to bolt a bracket to reinforce it to.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #150
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
strainer fix looks easy todo... setup lookn sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Looks like theres a convenient threaded hole on the main girdle just past where the pickup is to bolt a bracket to reinforce it to.
Should be pretty straight forward to re-make it, those extra holes will come in handy for sure when making sure its going to be stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS14 View Post
The silver wheels look absolutely amazing on that car, they look like they mean business. The gold wheels look like what you throw on your N/A auto 300z in high school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Pana's 100%
The Pana's do have that more grown up look, really love the lip too. Since these are known to crack, once they do I'll be able to re-build them a bit more aggressive to fit even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
that catch can set up is fire!!!!
Thanks, really happy with it overall! I got some hose separators that I threw on which really cleaned up the look in the engine bay. Still need another fitting added to the intake tube then It'll be complete.