Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
aled is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
1.5JZ S14 Build

Hello again,

I am here again to share with you all my 1.5JZ Build into my S14. I previously shared my original 1JZ swap into the S14. I decided to make this specific thread about this swap for future reference of other members.

At any rate, to get everyone up to speed as to where I am now, here is the link for the original 1JZ swap: http://zilvia.net/f/chat/376821-s14-1jz-build.html

With the JZ swap becoming more and more prevalent into the S-Chassis such combination of the 2JZ and the 1JZ are inevitable. Originally, the notion that the 1JZ Head flowed better than the 2JZ head, thus many people decided to combine the two: 1JZ Head, 2JZ Bottom End...

However, the 1JZ Head, which was flow tested, actually flows ~20cfm less than the 2JZ Head. The only other difference is in that of air velocities, with the 1JZ Head at a higher velocity.

1JZ: 2.5 Liter
2JZ: 3.0 Liter

Bore of the engines is exactly the same. The 2JZ gains the extra displacement through a slightly longer stroke, thus making the block slightly taller.

For those of you who did not read my 1JZ build thread; My engine developed rod bearing clearance issues due to detonation. I explored just rebuilding the 1J, however, I would have spent quite a bit of finances on new 1J pistons/rods, irregardless of detonation damage.

My final choice was to purchase a Used 2JZGTE, pull the head off the 2J and put my 1J head on there and party. This option allows me to re-cooperate the money spent on the engine by re-selling the 2J Head, Intake, Turbos, ECU, Wiring Harness, AC Compressor, Water Pump, Cams, Etc. This option seemed the quickest way to have my S14 driving again and the most economical.

Other big factors include:
- 1J Head has HKS 264 cams
- Converted wiring harness into my S14 adapted to 1JZ
- Single Turbo setup/Fuel Rail/Injectors

The documentation:

After running my finger through the 1J's oil. X__X
#1 Cylinder Rod Cap removed.
1J Ready to be removed.

Wiring harness removed, ready to be torn down.
2J Shows up.
Very clean engine, was previously mated to an automatic transmission.
Hahahahah
Friend who was apart of the engine shipping asked me after I received my engine if I got my "surprise." I was confused; a few days later I go to clean up the shrink wrap the engine was covered with when I discovered this Flesh Light. Thanks Mike Pollard xD. Hahaha.
2J Head/Turbos removed.
I will forever be amazed at how people convert these engines to a single turbo setup with the engine still in the car.
1J Head, the cams must be removed for head removal. Plenty of documentation is available through the FSM on how to go about this. Very straight-forward.
Detonation damage on the pistons is hardly noticeable. This is a good sign as I plan on building this engine on the side when time/funds permit.
I will be switching the water pipe that snakes around the engine to the 2J Block.

Garage with all the JZ love.

I will continue to update this thread. I will now switch my focus to the 2J and preparing it for maintenance parts and the 1J Head/Single turbo conversion.

- Gates Timing Belt
- New 2J Timing Belt idler pulley
- Front/Rear Main Seals
- Timing Belt Guide
- ARP Head Studs
- OEM Toyota 2JZ Head Gasket
- OEM Toyota 2JZ Oil Pump
- I will transfer the 2J Water pump, timing belt tensioner, and alternator, water pump, and power steering pullies over to the 2J.

That's all for now,
Alex
aled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Nice

Message length
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
dongoesby
Zilvia Addict

dongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of light
subscribed!!
dongoesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
dongoesby
Zilvia Addict

dongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of lightdongoesby is a glorious beacon of light
Phew just read through your previous 1jz thread. awesome build and very informative!

However, here is the question of weight distribution I'm sure a lot of people like to know (if you haven't answer else where already). I'm sure based on your great experience in drifting and in mechanical, you would be a perfect person to ask.

1) How would you compare the weight difference between the SR and 1JZ?

2) Does it get in your way of drifting (nose heavier maybe?)?

3) There is the Driftwork S15 had its 2JZ moved backward and reconstructed its firewall. Do you foresee the necessity of doing this for the ideal weight distribution?
dongoesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice build. Hope the new setup survives all of the fun.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
DrftKingIII
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
DrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Can I have the fleshlight?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so have you christened the fleshlight yet?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
looks like this will be a fun next step for your car, subscribed for more progress keep up the good work
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongoesby View Post
Phew just read through your previous 1jz thread. awesome build and very informative!

However, here is the question of weight distribution I'm sure a lot of people like to know (if you haven't answer else where already). I'm sure based on your great experience in drifting and in mechanical, you would be a perfect person to ask.

3) There is the Driftwork S15 had its 2JZ moved backward and reconstructed its firewall. Do you foresee the necessity of doing this for the ideal weight distribution?
Thank you for the compliments.
As far as weight goes, I've only ever weighed the car with the SR, Myself, Cage: 2550 (around that). The mount kit I use actually bolts to the engine about 3-4 inches back from the center of the engine. However, the R154 is pretty heavy compared to the SR/KA 5-Speeds, so that helps. I also noticed the car sits about a 1/4'' lower in the front with the JZ, interesting.

Right off the bat though, the JZ is a cast iron block, with two more cylinders, the weight differences I'd imagine are about 100-200 lbs. total added?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
7evil
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool project!
Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Update.

I have been making A LOT of progress on the engine(s).

Off came the 2J Head. I am very pleased with the condition of the engine. Cross-hatches are still very much present; the fact that this engine came from an automatic car is reassuring.

Merry Christmas.
Back to work on the car. XD

ARP head studs installed.
Per ARP's instructions these are hand tightened only into the block.

OEM Toyota Head Gasket.
OEM Head gasket is a great part and extremely well designed from Toyota for Boost.

And the 1J head/Exhaust manifold on the 2J Bottom end.
Torque Sequence can be found in the TFSM. Head bolts are torqued to 3 sequences to a total of 80 ft. lbs.
1st Sequence: 35 ft. lbs.
2nd Sequence: 90 degrees from previous position
3rd Sequence: 75-80 ft. lbs.

This is the power steering pump support bracket we made. I had previously used it on the 1J and have transferred it over to this engine as well.

The JZ motors used two mounting points from the AC compressor to aid in the rigidity of the power steering pump. Since removing the compressor, the 1J specifically had a wobbly pump; this was a simple/easy fix.

Shot of the JZ/S-Chassis Motor Brackets/Avid Motor Mounts. Also shows the -10AN Oil Return for the turbo as well as the AN Feed. The rear oil feed is blocked off since I am using a single turbo.

Tonight/Tomorrow I will have the cams mounted and torqued to spec. I will also set the timing per the FSM's specifications. The cam torque will be rather time consuming as they require a torque to ~20 Ft. Lbs, then loosened, then re-torquing, a matter of 4 times...

Tomorrow I will have someone modify my upper water neck. This is another point of modification one runs into with the 1.5JZ. The 1J water neck, I had previously modified is too short to bolt to the head/fit in the water pump. Whereas the 2J water neck is still factory in it's sharp 90 degree turn it takes to plumb the water line in front of the upper timing cover.

I plan on modifying the 2J water neck to meet the upper radiator port on the passenger side of the car.

That's all for now!

- Alex
Old 12-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
dubbs.
Leaky Injector

dubbs. is an unknown quantity at this point
Well done, homie!
dubbs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
still a newb but in assuming jz swap easier cheaper then rb?
tapdeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
if you need anyone to tig weld the water neck, i can do it for like 30 bucks.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
h815 240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
h815 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Where did you get those motor mounts?

and if I recall correctly doesn't ARP recommend the torque while using there grease be 95 ft/lbs?
h815 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by h815 240sx View Post

and if I recall correctly doesn't ARP recommend the torque while using there grease be 95 ft/lbs?
Just judging by the massive amounts of research, trial, and error that he has gone through, I'm pretty sure he is spot on when it comes to the torque specs.... and I'm pretty sure he specified that he went with the AVID mount kit.

Hey OP,

Love the build keep it coming. And that has to be one of the most epic Christmas trees I have ever seen xD
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #17
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdeznutz View Post
still a newb but in assuming jz swap easier cheaper then rb?
Debatable.
I lined everything out in the previous thread on one of the last pages; maybe page 4 or 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
if you need anyone to tig weld the water neck, i can do it for like 30 bucks.
I appreciate the offer. I will keep this option in mind. I usually have a local guy do my welding, but I'm not sure if he's working this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h815 240sx View Post

Touge Factory; I get a majority of my parts from them.

I followed the torque requirements directly off the ARP sheet found in the head stud box.

Final torque specification of 80 ft. lbs in three sequences. To re-assure myself, I double checked on SupraMania/SupraForums for the exact torque specification. The best method to achieve these specifications were as I posted:

1st: 35 ft. lbs.
2nd: 90 degrees advanced from the previous position (~55 ft. lbs.)
3rd: 75-80 ft. lbs.

I did use the ARP grease provided on the threads, washers, and nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
Just judging by the massive amounts of research, trial, and error that he has gone through, I'm pretty sure he is spot on when it comes to the torque specs.... and I'm pretty sure he specified that he went with the AVID mount kit.

Hey OP,

Love the build keep it coming. And that has to be one of the most epic Christmas trees I have ever seen xD
That is correct they are Avid motor mounts. I paid, $120? I can't remember. Great mounts; Yes, they are solid, the air vents rattle at 60 mph, but I never cared, but were not annoying or disruptive at idle.

Hahaha thanks. That is at a friends house, I thought the same thing about that tree.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Cant wait to see it finished
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
DrftKingIII
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
DrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura aboutDrftKingIII has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
The fleshlight. Lemme haaaa dat.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Moves have been made.
Hoping to have this in tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #21
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
damn bro you move fast
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #22
91sil80
Zilvia Member

91sil80 is on the path to ruin91sil80 is on the path to ruin91sil80 is on the path to ruin
cooooooooool
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
so,....will this need a retune?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
so,....will this need a retune?
Absolutely, 1j head + 2j booty = retune. The 2jz has a longer stroke, bigger bore, and when mated with the 1jz head he is definitely going to have to re-tune it. Especially with this case since it has probably had head work done and an aftermarket turbo that will need to be dialed in to match the new powerband ( Never read your 1jz swap thread so I'm just assuming here )
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
N2HIFI
Leaky Injector

N2HIFI is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongoesby View Post

Imma jump in here real quick alled, I currently rock a Rb20 powered hatch and have to say that the difference in weight between the ka and my rb (which weighs less then a 1j with r154 but is still a pig of a motor) was noticable but NOT ina bad way at all..things i noticed immediatley after the swap

-No more plowing and much improved repnosiveness from the front end when initiating

honestly the additional weight over the wheels i really never noticed, car drives great does not feel nose heavy, dosnt plow one bit. then when you compare the power and sounds of a inline 6 over a 4cylinder you could careless about anything other then mashing the loud pedal. I also belive that with the right suspension set up you can over come any small issue like weight... im rocking PBM coils and my car responds so quick to steering input.

ok back on track
N2HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #26
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2HIFI View Post
Imma jump in here real quick alled, I currently rock a Rb20 powered hatch and have to say that the difference in weight between the ka and my rb (which weighs less then a 1j with r154 but is still a pig of a motor) was noticable but NOT ina bad way at all..things i noticed immediatley after the swap

-No more plowing and much improved repnosiveness from the front end when initiating

honestly the additional weight over the wheels i really never noticed, car drives great does not feel nose heavy, dosnt plow one bit. then when you compare the power and sounds of a inline 6 over a 4cylinder you could careless about anything other then mashing the loud pedal. I also belive that with the right suspension set up you can over come any small issue like weight... im rocking PBM coils and my car responds so quick to steering input.

ok back on track
It sounds like he's referring to drifting on a competitive level, in which case there would probably be a noticeable amount of understeer based on the weight and placement of the motor. I don't believe the weight of this swap would be the issue, but the placement of the motor and how far back/low it is mounted to attain proper weight distribution. /end thread jack
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
looking to see what kind of power your going to make.

I'm in the middle of a 2J swap myself.
JDM SPUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #28
desi_s14

desi_s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice. I just picked up a 1jz swap along with a 2jzge long block today. Thinking about building a 1.5jz as yours. nice impressive build. subscribed
desi_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #29
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
Absolutely, 1j head + 2j booty = retune. The 2jz has a longer stroke, bigger bore, and when mated with the 1jz head he is definitely going to have to re-tune it. Especially with this case since it has probably had head work done and an aftermarket turbo that will need to be dialed in to match the new powerband ( Never read your 1jz swap thread so I'm just assuming here )
Yes, I'll be having this re-tuned.

2J makes up the extra displacement through a longer stroke. The bore size is exactly the same, hence why the 1J head and 2J bottom end can mate properly.

The tune right now is for 93 Octane, GT35R, 680cc Injectors, HKS 264 cams, blah blah. The only difference between this 1.5JZ and the 1JZ tune is the bottom end. It will run and drive just fine with the current tune. I will not push my luck though.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #30
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Update Update!
It's been a long night, but I am a matter of hours away from a running 1.5JZ.

Instead of telling everyone what I completed, I'll just list whats left.

- Fill/Bleed Cooling System
- Install Exhaust, Intercooler Piping
- Torque Crank pulley bolt to 239 FT. Lbs <- should be fun XD
- Drain the rest of the gas out of the tank, re-fill with 100% 93 octane
- Install fuel rail/injectors/assemble fittings

That's about it, I'm sure I'm forgetting things...
Here are some pictures from tonight's extravaganza:

Upper water neck housing.
This is the 2J one. To use with a KA radiator (Griffin installed is for a KA), simply take a hack saw and saw off the curved portion of the water neck. This will also delete the water feed ports for the OEM Twins.

This is what we came up with for the dipstick.
2JZ Dipstick
Fuel line clamp bolted to the intake. I actually think it's more sturdy that stock.

So long for now. More updates as this gets closer to running/re-tune.

- Alex