Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
ka707de

Trader Rating: (0)
ka707de is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA KA is being a B**** to smog!!!

I have a 91 240 coupe with a KA24DE and a 3" down pipe. I am trying to get it smogged but it is marked a "gross polluter" because of the nox emissions. Also the EGR is throwing a check engine light. I replaced the broken vacuum tube I found but its still there. It is very difficult to look in at the EGR because the person before me replaced the wiring harness but left the old one still kindof hooked in... I have no idea why they would do that but... oh well.

If anyone can tell me if the EGR light specifically means nox emissions would be off, that would be great.

Another option would be if someone could point me in the right direction towards someone who could help me with passing smog... that would be great too. I live in the bay area and any help would be very much appreciated!!!
ka707de is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
jdm213
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
jdm213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
well first off look at your exhaust and you wont pass visual if you have the check engine light cuz thats an automatic fail
jdm213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
ka707de

I know I wont pass with the check engine light on. I was just asking if fixing the EGR will fix the nox emissions. it will pass visual but I just need to figure out how to fix the emissions or get it smogged someplace that wont care about any of that..
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
best bet would be to check the codes your ecu is throwing. check vacuum hoses and if you're nox is in the thousands you might want to get another catalytic converter.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
klits562
Zilvia Member

klits562 is an unknown quantity at this point
IIRC the egr is suppose to reduce NOX but at freeway speeds. Did the smog place tell you how high your NOX was and at wat speed?
If the EGR is throwing a code you need to check it see if its working. If its working fine then you need to clean it and any lines that go from exhaust->EGR->intake. Same thing happend to my brothers lancer.
klits562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
Your EGR or "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" Valve opens to let exhaust flow back into the intake, which reduces your combustion temperature and hence your NOx production amount.

Yeah, you're going to want the EGR Valve to work in order to reduce NOx.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
ka707de

It has a brand new cat so thats not the problem, the check engine light is on because it threw the EGR code and the knock sensor code (irrelevant), and would the EGR not functioning at all cause high nox emissions? or does it do nothing in low rpms and just kick in at high rpms.. I was pretty sure it was the EGR, but I just wanted someone to confirm my thoughts.

also does anyone have some good pictures of how the EGR is fully set up?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
klits562
Zilvia Member

klits562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka707de View Post
It has a brand new cat so thats not the problem, the check engine light is on because it threw the EGR code and the knock sensor code (irrelevant), and would the EGR not functioning at all cause high nox emissions? or does it do nothing in low rpms and just kick in at high rpms.. I was pretty sure it was the EGR, but I just wanted someone to confirm my thoughts.

also does anyone have some good pictures of how the EGR is fully set up?
The EGR opens under vacuum at higher speeds which is why i asked you; your nox numbers and at what mph. This will help us help you and let you know if its your EGR or not.

Also if you dont know what the EGR looks like just go on Autozone and find look at the pic its easy to find and it bolts onto the back of your intake manifold.
klits562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
modulation
Zilvia Member

modulation is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have a 91 240 coupe with a KA24DE and a 3" down pipe. I am trying to get it smogged but it is marked a "gross polluter" because of the nox emissions. Also the EGR is throwing a check engine light. I replaced the broken vacuum tube I found but its still there. It is very difficult to look in at the EGR because the person before me replaced the wiring harness but left the old one still kindof hooked in... I have no idea why they would do that but... oh well.

If anyone can tell me if the EGR light specifically means nox emissions would be off, that would be great.

Another option would be if someone could point me in the right direction towards someone who could help me with passing smog... that would be great too. I live in the bay area and any help would be very much appreciated!!!
Make sure you have NO exhaust leaks. Really high NOX would point to an exhaust leak Pre-cat. That was my problem.
modulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
ka707de

exaust line is all solid, no leaks. i know what the egr looks like i was asking if anyone had pictures because i want to see how the vacuum hoses hook up and where all the other stuff is hooked up in the back of the engine because its really jenky from the person before messing with it..

the nox readings were 2002 at 15 mph and 1802 at 25
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
modulation
Zilvia Member

Quote:
exaust line is all solid, no leaks. i know what the egr looks like i was asking if anyone had pictures because i want to see how the vacuum hoses hook up and where all the other stuff is hooked up in the back of the engine because its really jenky from the person before messing with it..

the nox readings were 2002 at 15 mph and 1802 at 25
Dude you have an exhaust leak some where.
The only thing that would cause NOX numbers that high is that air is getting in before the cat. This causes the CAT to burn ultra-efficient and raises the temp of the air high enough to cause NOx.

I bet your Co2 and other hydrocarbon numbers are really really low.

Double check your header gasket, and your gasket between your header and your cat.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Rabboni
Zilvia Member

Rabboni is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want your nox emissions to go down you will definitely have to fix your egr. if you fix your egr, your nox emissions should go down enough for you to pass.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
lift up your egr diaphram manually while the car is running, does the engine begin to die? Rev your engine while placing your hand on the diaphram, does it go up? I have a similar problem where my egr makes the egine die but doesnt raise when the car is revved for some reason.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
ka707de

So i found out through diagrams (that i had been to lazy to look up) that the guy before me thought to disable the egr by breaking off the egr sensor module... i dont know why he didnt just unplug it but its gone and i have to go get a new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulation View Post
Dude you have an exhaust leak some where.
The only thing that would cause NOX numbers that high is that air is getting in before the cat. This causes the CAT to burn ultra-efficient and raises the temp of the air high enough to cause NOx.

I bet your Co2 and other hydrocarbon numbers are really really low.

Double check your header gasket, and your gasket between your header and your cat.
well my CO2 measured a 14.73 and 13.9 and the hc was 36 and 34. still possible for exhaust leak or too high?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
modulation
Zilvia Member

Quote:
So i found out through diagrams (that i had been to lazy to look up) that the guy before me thought to disable the egr by breaking off the egr sensor module... i dont know why he didnt just unplug it but its gone and i have to go get a new one..

well my CO2 measured a 14.73 and 13.9 and the hc was 36 and 34. still possible for exhaust leak or too high?
What are the max again? Like 100 or something?
Is it possible the EGR tube is letting air into the exhuast?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
ka707de

it is very possible since there are open ended vacuum tubes around the egr because that peice is gone. i got the sensor at pick n pull today and will be installing it tomorrow. But once that piece is in, if it turns the check engine code for the egr off, then it should pass smog right?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
can u just pay a little extra and get it smogged? you know " LEGIT"
godrifttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
ka707de

I've asked around but noone knows of any near me that will do that.. so until then i am gunna continue trying to fix whats wrong. pm me if you know one