Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (12)
magermeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
s14 S14 RHD conversion question (gauge cluster)

Was wondering if anyone knows how to run the usdm cluster? Its going to be my daily. Please no negativity in the thread. Would like to talk to a few people that have completed the conversion themselves. I'm doing a fully functional swap, no cutting of the firewall, drilled out all the spot welds. Legit RHD build. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Follow me and my RHD conversion on Instagram @magermeisters14

Last edited by magermeister; 04-23-2015 at 02:01 PM..
magermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
zenki-s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
zenki-s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have not done the conversion. But unless someone has a write up explaining the whole process your best bet would be to look at wiring diagrams. It could be something to where you need to rewire the harness or it could be something which will be plug and play. Either way, unless you have the RHD harness you will more than likely need to extend parts of the harness.

good luck! If you go though the hassle dont be afraid to share your information to help others.
zenki-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki-s13 View Post
I have not done the conversion. But unless someone has a write up explaining the whole process your best bet would be to look at wiring diagrams. It could be something to where you need to rewire the harness or it could be something which will be plug and play. Either way, unless you have the RHD harness you will more than likely need to extend parts of the harness.

good luck! If you go though the hassle dont be afraid to share your information to help others.
I'm actually going to pick up a GoPro tomorrow and film the rest of my conversion and get it up on YouTube so I can provide as much help as possible. I have all the full RHD harnesses. The plugs are different on the back of the clusters. I need to find the dash diagram and see if cutting the JDM plugs and wiring the USDM plugs would be possible. I do want to engage, share, and collect info on this as there's no great walk through that I have yet to find in 7 months of searching.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
zenki-s13
Leaky Injector

zenki-s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be awesome!
zenki-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki-s13 View Post
That would be awesome!
I'll keep you posted my friend. If you have Instagram follow me and the build man. Anyone is welcome to
@magermeisters14
Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by magermeister View Post
I'm actually going to pick up a GoPro tomorrow and film the rest of my conversion and get it up on YouTube so I can provide as much help as possible. I have all the full RHD harnesses. The plugs are different on the back of the clusters. I need to find the dash diagram and see if cutting the JDM plugs and wiring the USDM plugs would be possible. I do want to engage, share, and collect info on this as there's no great walk through that I have yet to find in 7 months of searching.

DO NOT CUT ANY HARNESSES!!!! Do it right; de-pin and re-pin the harnesses.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
what... isn't this the same thing like doing a sr20 swap? Why would you need to depin anything? Just move the wiring inside the car
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
DO NOT CUT ANY HARNESSES!!!! Do it right; de-pin and re-pin the harnesses.
I didn't literally mean cut actually. I'm going way to in depth on this conversion and doing it 100% right to be cutting anything. What I'm saying is on the back of the clusters the plugs are differently shaped so I'm not exactly sure what or how I'm going to go about it just yet. I met a fella yesterday that's in the process of doing his s14 as well. If anyone has some English wiring diagrams they wouldn't mind sharing, that would be awesome and greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
what... isn't this the same thing like doing a sr20 swap? Why would you need to depin anything? Just move the wiring inside the car
Not quite. To my knowledge you can't just flip the usdm dash harness over and make it work. I have all the s14 Silvia wiring harnesses so most of everything is just installing and pulling up after I do the firewall swap and paint.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
using the dash harness you will have to cut and lengthen many parts to it.

I just sourced a jdm dash harness and chassis harness, everything is plug and play. The only thing you would have to repin is the rear harness into the SMJ, to match the dash harness. If you go that route, I have an entire diagram madeout for s14 zenki usdm to jdm rear.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
using the dash harness you will have to cut and lengthen many parts to it.

I just sourced a jdm dash harness and chassis harness, everything is plug and play. The only thing you would have to repin is the rear harness into the SMJ, to match the dash harness. If you go that route, I have an entire diagram madeout for s14 zenki usdm to jdm rear.
That would be sweet if you could send that my way man. I actually found your build months ago and it re-inspired me to for see my dream. I read and gained a good deal of knowledge from your write up. I was hoping to see the rest of the photos during your build but most of them are not loading and haven't loaded o the page for months. Any knowledge you car to share man will GREATLY appreciated as this has been a dream of mine for 11 years now and will be my daily so I want it reliable of course. I seen so many people cutting firewalls and I just knew there had to be a better way.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
magermeister
Zilvia Member

So can anyone help me out..? Asked this question too long ago to not have a fully detailed answer. PLEASE HELP ME OUT
Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Ok....... this is my RHD kouki build
https://instagram.com/sushihadmelike/
Its ALL oem harnesses uncut etc. No cut firewall.

I have 3 clusters, 2 USDM one JDM, I was curious one day to see if my USDM cluster just plugs and play and hey guess what? It did.

I plugged my zenki cluster, kouki cluster, and jdm kouki cluster and they all work perfectly fine. So why do your plugs not work? I don't know maybe you have the wrong harness?

The only noticeable difference was the MPH were 4 miles higher than what I was going (tested it with GPS on my phone).
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
magermeister
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan2nr22 View Post
Ok....... this is my RHD kouki build
https://instagram.com/sushihadmelike/
Its ALL oem harnesses uncut etc. No cut firewall.

I have 3 clusters, 2 USDM one JDM, I was curious one day to see if my USDM cluster just plugs and play and hey guess what? It did.

I plugged my zenki cluster, kouki cluster, and jdm kouki cluster and they all work perfectly fine. So why do your plugs not work? I don't know maybe you have the wrong harness?

The only noticeable difference was the MPH were 4 miles higher than what I was going (tested it with GPS on my phone).
Thanks Sushihadmelike I just want to be 100% before I purchase a kouki cluster for it. I read up that you can get the mph adjusted to be 99% by some things on the back of the cluster
Old 01-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #15
PotholeEnthusiast
Leaky Injector

PotholeEnthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird because I had a JDM whiteface cluster that read in KMH and it plugged into my USDM harness (LHD) fine and worked without issue.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #16
milesbizzell
Leaky Injector

milesbizzell is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to milesbizzell
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotholeEnthusiast View Post
Weird because I had a JDM whiteface cluster that read in KMH and it plugged into my USDM harness (LHD) fine and worked without issue.

everyone does know that the plugs on the usdm 95 and 96 Zenki and the usdm 97 and 98 are different right?

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and I can't remember which one has 3 big plugs and which has 4, but I do know they are different.. that's as much as I can help from here..lol
milesbizzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
98greenkouki

Trader Rating: (1)
98greenkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
was just about to say that. had a jdm kouki cluster in usdm car at one time, now a kouki euro spec one. all plug in with no problems, kouki and zenki are in fact different

Last edited by 98greenkouki; 01-22-2016 at 03:03 PM..
98greenkouki is offline   Reply With Quote