Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
second chance two-tone

Hey there Zilvia, so two years ago while I was working for a go-kart shop that was basically on a mountain top I'd take different routes to work every couple days. One day I spotted this two-tone coupe sitting under a tree. With it covered in green moss and passing by so fast I thought it was a green two-tone originally! It wasn't posted for sale and initially the owner wasn't willing to sell it. It had been off the road for 5 years since reverse no longer worked. After a couple months of stopping by randomly I made him an offer and he accepted. I could have gotten it for less but after selling the pop up front, engine and trans I had $350 in the car. So I'm happy with the deal. I'm currently a full time student who pays for this with livery designs, cutting decals and vinyl wrapping (Shorty's Designs). So progress has been slow and within my own means. I'm an OCD perfectionist so I'm doing my best to rebuild this car to a clean better than showroom state with my own style thrown in. Thanks for checking it out!

A quick power wash cleaned up the mess some.

Started to strip out the disgusting and moldy interior.

I picked up a white hatch for it's black interior bits, manual mirrors/windows and 5-speed. I decided to wrap the interior panels I'm sure it's not everyone's taste but I like it.

When I get some more free time I'll post up the remaining pics from fixing one of the dumber things I've seen done to a car in an attempt to fix a problem. New front tubs, dropping the suspension pieces and wheels.

Last edited by snorkelcoupe; 06-26-2017 at 03:39 PM..
snorkelcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
idlebad
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
idlebad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In for updates! I'm ready to see where this headed! [emoji869]
idlebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebad View Post
In for updates! I'm ready to see where this headed! [emoji869]
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
What happens when you snap off the bolt inside the frame rail's 'weldnut' for the tension rod bracket?
1st try a screw.
2nd realize that doesn't work well.
3rd torch out the weldnut and the side of the frame rail to install a bolt and nut.

The results are in . . .

I cut an access hole, ordered the proper size nut and made a flat plate for my roommate to tig weld. The nut and bolt were loose resulting in the driver-side tension rod bracket and lower arm mounts to be mutilated from the amount of movement. The nut and bolt worked their way through the frame completely till it was basically just a bolt hanging from the tension rod bracket. I cut out the cancer on the lower side and welded in a fresh piece.

It's not beautiful but it'll do the job, I still need to clean the welds up on the outer plate of the frame rail. The welder I was using was not the best and kept having grounding and feed issues.

I pulled the single slammer out with the help of my buddy Matt, to sell to the local short track racers.

So the battery tray area had some rust.. so cut it out right?

I'll be back again to post more saved pictures, thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Great start... keeping pop up front or going silvia
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgarage View Post
Great start... keeping pop up front or going silvia
Thanks, I'm going silvia front, I still need lights, oem hood and oem fenders.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
looking good keep it up
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
good job this should be interesting.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_nice View Post
looking good keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
good job this should be interesting.
Thank you both, the support keeps me motivated!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

I pulled the rear sub-frame out and went to work cleaning surface rust and replacing the worn out bushings. I used the ES sub-frame bushing kit and cut them down 0.4 to help raise the sub-frame a little bit. This will be a more street oriented car so that was the deciding factor to no go with solid bushings. I may have gotten carried away two-tone painting my knuckles and RLCAs, thanks to Josh for helping plate them. I need to pick up adjustable arms for the rear but I installed the stock ones to test fit the wheels I've got for the car and get it back on the ground to prep for paint. The underside still needs another power washing (will be the 3rd time).

Old 07-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
midship_runabout

midship_runabout is an unknown quantity at this point
What a save. Great work so far!
midship_runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I cringed at first when you cut out the front tubs, but you're redeeming yourself lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #13
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midship_runabout View Post
What a save. Great work so far!
Thank you, I'm doing what I can for the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I cringed at first when you cut out the front tubs, but you're redeeming yourself lol.
Haha at least I wasn't cutting off the quarters! The decision to cut them out was based on how far gone the passenger side was. I could have just fixed the whole rusted area but decided to just go a step further. They still need some work before the bay is ready for paint.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
CHiNo4ReaL
Leaky Injector

CHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura about
Doing a great job!
CHiNo4ReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
fallen_51

fallen_51 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is coming along nice !
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiNo4ReaL View Post
Doing a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen_51 View Post
This is coming along nice !
Thanks for the support!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #17
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Christmas 2015 I came back home to find my dad put a ton of time into polishing the valve cover as a present. Too stoked on it, he's the man.

I can't deal with the rustycrusty even if these parts aren't normally seen there was still tons of rusty dust coming off them. I just knocked off the rust the best I could and shot them with some rust prevention paint.

I machined a new steering column bushing just because I had free material for it.

The whole bay harness laid out and labeled so it can be condensed and tucked.

If you've ever lost a penny I found it . .

So last summer I pulled the trigger on some wheels. I think they were in Tokyo Xtreme racer Drift . . .? Pretty sure that's where I fell for them. I also saw this add a few months before seeing these for sale.

They're 15x7.5 -2, not sure if I want to rebuild them or not. I also happened across these for a unbelievable deal, listed as "yokohama wheels." Also featured is the ugliest corner on my car . . . I can't wait to strip the paint and bondo off of it.

Thanks for looking out, NISR20MO.

Last edited by snorkelcoupe; 08-11-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
[F]rea[K]listic

[F]rea[K]listic is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't believe you found this sitting under a tree and that it still is in such a good nick!
Nice work, like where you are going with it!
[F]rea[K]listic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #19
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Dude buys hot fire tail lights and doesn't even post about it. the disrespect.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

The aero should be arriving in the next week. It'll be a good time for a small update.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
This is a good thread. I like the attention to detail. And that valve cover looks pretty sweet!

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:45 AM   #22
FKNGRSY
Leaky Injector

FKNGRSY is an unknown quantity at this point
That valve cover is dope! Good work so far.
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #23
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
This is a good thread. I like the attention to detail. And that valve cover looks pretty sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNGRSY View Post
That valve cover is dope! Good work so far.
Thank you! I hope to continue to have decent contributions to the site.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #24
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Around last Julyr my friends and I rolled the car outside to start blocking the car and marked out all the dents as well. The poor car is littered with them.

A reminder of how disgusting and dirty this car was when I found it.

The donor car I got the trans from had a little mishap and the timing chain guides wedged up with the timing chain. Resulting in oil being all over the place not to mention years of the normal grime. So my friend and I got to cleaning.

August rolled around and I found a deal on a Silvia front I couldn't pass up. The front included OEM metal fenders. They had a ridiculous thin layer of plastidip sprayed on them. I ended up spraying a couple coats of plastidip in order to remove the original layer. It worked pretty well except for on the top halves of the fenders. WD40 did the trick to remove what was left over.

These trips and the bumper are for sale btw!! Check the VA FS posts.

One of our kittens helping out.

Quick test fit of the Advan Onis on the front. Ft. our bipolar tabby. Also the reason I keep the roof covered... the cats love sitting up there.

September, I picked up a Bride Artis 1.2 as well for a good price. The bottom of it still needs to be re-glassed.

Stripped it all down to clean the fabric and add new foam.

I just need to get a headpad for it and it'll be good to go...

I was able to meet Koguchi at the Quickstyle event and we exchanged stickers. I cut him a Koguchi Power sticker I had drawn up for a work project. It's awesome he posted a picture of it on his IG account!

My friend Josh decided to ruin my bay harness with me..

Cleaned up what I guess is the OEM doughnut.

We did a quick test fit of the dash to line up the fuse boxes with the glove box and see how much space was available.

Replaced the upper control arms on my dad's truck and test fitted the wheels he should be running! 15x10 AR blades.

Cleaned up the steering firewall boot with a repaint and new seal. Also painted the steering shaft while I was at it.

So in October I ordered the aero for my car through Mastermind NA. They were super helpful and professional. The parts finally arrived last Wednesday.

TBO front bumper and their rear spoiler. Neither one was fitted properly for the pictures. Just simple mock up. Also the first time I've had the Onis on the car front and rear.

I'm really motivated to move forward and finish up the work that needs to be done. Maybe this will be updated in another 6 months..
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #25
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
man this thing is gonna be good!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #26
codyzsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
codyzsilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ahhhh, so you were the one that posted the TBO stuff on 757 Nissan! Awesome work man, loving it so far!
codyzsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #27
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Going to be good!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #28
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
this is perfect
Old 02-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
ANVIL
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ANVIL can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Nice work! What skirts are those?
ANVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I have a two tone that was sitting in someones barn for 6 years, cool to see a similar find. Love the direction you're going, looking great so far!
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote