Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
t3hranger

Trader Rating: (0)
t3hranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
auto to 5-speed help (wiring issues)

ok so i swapped my auto to a 5-speed along with an engine rebuild. the car will start and run but the power for the interior,seatbelts,lights and my speedometer and tach dont work half the time. now i dont have anything plugged into the manual tranny, and i questioning wether i have to buy a manual harness or do something else. also if i get the manual harness will it fit the automatic ECU
anything helpful is appreciated. i am out of ideas for it
t3hranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The interior lighting and seatbelts have nothing to do with the transmission or engine harness. The gauge cluster is powered by the same circuit for the reverse lights, but unless all the gauges are going out it's not related either.

You do not need an manual harness either.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
t3hranger

well my reverse lights dont work and the guage cluster goes crazy the speedo says all weird speeds and the tach wont work but they both work sometimes.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

s13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to s13rookie
Is it possibly a common ground that is bad somewhere?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
t3hranger

no everything is grounded and plugged in but i think i need to take the wiring and sensors off my auto tranny and wire them to the manual does that sound right? is so any help with that??
Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Hardwire the reverse lights, VSS plugs right in, there's nothing else needed.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
t3hranger

the vss? is that one of the plugs on the auto tranny
and what do i wire the reverse lights to??
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
vss=vehicle speed sensor

don't try to reinvent the wheel, it's already been written up (at-mt swap and hardwiring reverse lights).

i just completed the at to mt swap and everything is fine

you have a short somewhere in your gauge cluster probably, clean all contacts in the gauge cluster, check for frayed wires, check for shorts. sounds like your shit got wet cuz your seatbelts are acting up too....
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

tdawg88 can only hope to improve
What problems am I encountering if the damm thing wont crank? I did the manual swap, all seems well til I try to crank. It just wont go.

I jumped the top switch but still nothing. I get nothing going to the starter solenoid.
tdawg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

s13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant future
Did you remove/bypass the starter interupt switch? Its the switch that senses when the car is in park on the auto
Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

hmmmm I dont think so. What does this look like or located.

I turn the key and the car just blinks so to speak. No clicking from starter solenoid. ITs an annoying thing so yea. Thanks for the help so far though. you guys are great.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

I didnt see wether your car was an s13 or an s14. On the pic below it is circled on my s14

I checked on my other car, and the s13 doesnt have that switch, but probably uses one of the other plugs for the same purpose. Somebody else can probably point out which one
Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Well its an s14 and yes I COMPLETELY removed that sensor. I removed it out of the key cylinder under the dash. Was I not supposed to?

That shifter cable controls the key release.

HELP ME START THIS POC. lol
basically i used a s13 tranny and although it says use an s14 tranny i didnt read that until after I had installed it. Ummmm having made that stupid mistake, that cant be the reason why it dont crank no? Well any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

I unplugged the starter by mistake and cant find where to plug in a black wire that comes out of it. I figure its ground but has a male type that plugs into a female connector. Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

Haha, my fault, that is the key release. The switch is under the gear selector cover but i couldnt get a pic of it. its been a long week.......

The s13 trans is missing the sensor on the top of the bellhousing. I think its the crankshaft position sensor. Im noy sure if that woyld keep it from starting though....
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Ok so by any chance is it the plug that is behind the shifter plate? there is only one connector there. SO just curious basically opposite of the cable. So do I jump it or cut it cos for sure its not connected as of now. So what do I do?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
search...there is a writeup that details exactly how to wire an AT to MT swap..i followed the guide no problem. commonly guys who use convertables like to put MT tranny's in there and again, there is a detailed writup, it might be on nico, but i believe there is a thread on zilvia as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #17
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Well i followed the write up and that is why I am asking questions. I must have missed something badly: i.e. Needing an s14 tranny. I got it all installed now the wiring seemed very simple except for the CAS which I cant use because I used an s13 tranny.

That being said, can the CAS be annulled or bypassed? can the car work with an s13 tranny? ( I HAVE A S14 btw). Just want to know if there is anything that can be done. The swap is done, and a s14 manual tranny is hard to come by for some stupid reason.

Thanks lots for your imput.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Anyone know where this start up interrupt thing is at? I imagine its on the connector that used to plug up to the auto shifter. If so what lines do I jump together? Let me know asap please as I AM FED UP WITH THIS STUPID CAR
Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

Im not sure if starter-interupt is the correct name for it, but it is what allows the car (auto) to start in only "p" & "n". If that wasnt disabled/bypassed/looped, the auto ecu may be sensing the car is in gear and not allow it to start
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

s13rookie: Right on bro i was waiting for your reply as its been the only helpful info.

So where is this sensor at? I removed everything on the shifter etc but if its located on the shifter that means its connected to the plug located in front of the e-brake? Jump which wires? Could I just go with direct ignition i.e. push start type? Just bypass everything and go straight to the starter? Coz you know what? F**k the wiring man, this is just bs. Also F**k the CAS because that damm sensor does not appear in manual trannies. Or atleast not the s14 trannies I looked at today. So what is it?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #21
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

Unfortunately I havent done the swap myself yet, or id be better able to help you out. This is what you need to do i think, Taken from another thread:

"Ok in your engine compartment at the relay box by your battery you are going to find a relay that is you auto trans in park relay. This tells your car that it is in park and will allow you to start your engine. you are gonna take a wire and basically loop from one side of the relay plug wires to the other sidea and then tap it out to a ground. This will allow you to start your car with the manual trans swap. "
Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #22
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Hmmm thats on an s13 i think. I did that with my convertable. Now im doing this crappy swap on an s14.

Does anyone here know how to completely bypass the stock starter system? i.e. run a start button like an s2k. This is just to avoid dealing with more relays and sensors btw. Im totally anti all these things but im fed up with the car and I honestly just need it to start. Someone hook it up.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
tdawg88
Leaky Injector

Hey everyone I got the car running today WOOOHOOOO! damm that was some stress I was under.

Thanks for all the input. That stupid CAS is not needed at all. So just incase anyone is in doubt. S13 tranny will work no problem on s14 auto to manual swap.

Thanks all for your help and ideas.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #24
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg88 View Post
Hey everyone I got the car running today WOOOHOOOO! damm that was some stress I was under.

Thanks for all the input. That stupid CAS is not needed at all. So just incase anyone is in doubt. S13 tranny will work no problem on s14 auto to manual swap.

Thanks all for your help and ideas.
Ya, we've been saying that for 12 years.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #25
t3hranger

so just got back into an s13 again, and looked up my old posts on here. I cringe at my old posts. I have learned so much about these cars since then. I am pretty sure I can do the swap in my sleep now and have everything working.

I doubt anyone will see this, but wanted to say thanks for all the help and telling me to search.