Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #91
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #92
number80
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
number80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These setups are so simple but yet so efficient.

Slightly off topic but what clutch do you guys run with these 350-400 hp setups? I'm interested in a smooth and not so harsh engagement one that can handle that much hp/torque.
number80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #93
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Wow this is such an old thread and overdiscussed. The clutch I have and love is dxdracingclutches.com. The engagement is like stock and will hold 450-500 horse.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #94
number80
Leaky Injector

number80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-knownnumber80 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Ooops I did a search and didn't see the date. However an over discuss thead is a good thread IMO.
number80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #95
((sr)) kelly
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute((sr)) kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
im getting my car tuned next thursday... ill post the numbers

sr20det
2871r .86
hks step 2 264 cams
hks dual rated springs
nismo 740cc
greddy fmic
apexi pfc
hks evc6
255 lph
z32 maf
apexi SS filter
3.3 inch catback
3 inch outlet and dp
Greddy intake mani
Vibrant tubular exhaust mani
no a/c
ARP studs
apexi metal HG
Z32 fuel filter

hoping to hit 400 whp with 20 psi, and bumping the rev limiter to 8k
((sr)) kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #96
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'll never understand the fascination with high octane fuel. 350 DOES NOT require big fuel.

350 may not require 100 octane or higher fuel...but for those of us who live in arizona and nevada where it reaches 125+deg in direct sunlight in the summertime...that 100 octane is REAL important in a proper tune out here

every cali tuned car ive seen come to vegas always has either A) cooling issues or B) fuel delivery problems that only occur when they arrive here

i can understand back east where the level of octane at the pump can reach 94...but for us west coast people that live in extreme heat with HORRIBLE ambient air temps outside and lack of oxygen...and we can only get 91 at the pump...100 octane is one major reason our motors dont go explodey when reaching higher HP numbers and using em in the summer

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #97
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

DrifterProdigy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DrifterProdigy85
Yea i did 353whp on 93 octane pretty easily. Also clutch i use is a Exedy Stage II. Its a little harsh on engagement but very drivable. ACT Extreme Street/Strip would probably be pretty nice.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #98
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
350 may not require 100 octane or higher fuel...but for those of us who live in arizona and nevada where it reaches 125+deg in direct sunlight in the summertime...that 100 octane is REAL important in a proper tune out here

every cali tuned car ive seen come to vegas always has either A) cooling issues or B) fuel delivery problems that only occur when they arrive here

i can understand back east where the level of octane at the pump can reach 94...but for us west coast people that live in extreme heat with HORRIBLE ambient air temps outside and lack of oxygen...and we can only get 91 at the pump...100 octane is one major reason our motors dont go explodey when reaching higher HP numbers and using em in the summer
Good point! I certainly never considered this at all.

I'm certainly not comparing the east coast to your area (I've been in the dead of Summer in Death Valley, White Sands/Bliss, Hood, and Iraq, so I've got a good idea of dry heat), but you're also looking at an area where I live that does see mid to high 90s/100 in the summer, but also at obnoxious humidity levels. However, even with us having 93 (94 is getting harder and harder to find), the majority of us with decent power either:
-Don't boost around during the heat of day, and wait till night
or
-Have water injection.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't understand why more and more people don't have water injection...SOOOO much cheaper than race gas...

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #99
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Who wants my .86? Im going 30r
Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #100
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
can't believe this thread is still going on lol. I guess I'll update on my car. I got the sc61, BC 272 cams, 810cc injectors, new tune, ect put on. Had problems with it for about a month (thought it was the tune). turns out that megan FPR's are inaccurate as hell. It was running lean at 60psi of FP. put my stock fp back on and ran perfect afr's. Still had some slight problems with the way it was running. driving home from a friends, car dies and wont start back up. Turns out one of the comp cam valve springs broke on me, bent a valve and dinged a piston. So now I'm looking to fully build my block and 600hp

Also turns out that BC cams require cam gears due to being degreed wrong or whatever causing low compression numbers. I only had 90psi of compression across the 4. My friend had the same problem, bought cam gears, degreed the cams and got all his compression back. So a heads up guys using BC cams!!!!
s13envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #101
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looking for some insight as to what to expect with my setup.

Stock S14 SR20DET (stock manifolds, stock head, stock block) (zenki)
GT2871r .64
Apexi Power FC w/ Commander
740cc Injectors
300zx maf
Apexi Power suction air filter with 3" intake piping
2.5" charge piping on a Vmount intercooler with 18x11x3 core size
Apexi AVCR set at 18 psi
3" turbo-back straight pipe
255 walbro

Think I can clear 350whp? I haven't seen too many people with 2871r on a s14 sr post up?

I know venom injectors aren't the greatest, but should I even consider running them temporarily until I can source some better ones?

-Jackson.Vaughn.Photography-
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #102
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post

Also turns out that BC cams require cam gears due to being degreed wrong or whatever causing low compression numbers. I only had 90psi of compression across the 4. My friend had the same problem, bought cam gears, degreed the cams and got all his compression back. So a heads up guys using BC cams!!!!

Are you seriouse? Is it only the 272's? This would explain a whole lot. How did you come to this conclusion??
How did this affect your A/F's before the gears?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #103
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Just swapped in a 2871R....no real engine mods, except for 740ccs, greddy divided turbo outlet, greddy rspl front mount, etc.

Made 305 ft-lbs and 318 hp at 17 psi.....tuned pretty conservatively by Jeff Evans in PA.....He said cams should add another 40-50 hp no problem. Power band feels great.

Like codyace has said, flooring in 1st and 2nd is almost useless...even from a dig in 2nd, flooring it results in traction problems, sometime in 3rd too!

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #104
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Just swapped in a 2871R....no real engine mods, except for 740ccs, greddy divided turbo outlet, greddy rspl front mount, etc.

Made 305 ft-lbs and 318 hp at 17 psi.....tuned pretty conservatively by Jeff Evans in PA.....He said cams should add another 40-50 hp no problem. Power band feels great.
What shop is Jeff Evans affiliated with? Also what engine management are you using?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #105
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Jeff Evans is owner of Evans Tuning.....word on the street is that he is one of the top tuners in the entire country....has tuned 1000's of cars, including FullRace shop car, president of Apex's car, etc.

I am running PFC D-Jetro....god it is so nice to not have a MAF....the response is so much better and the car runs way smoother

Daily driven
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #106
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (8)
Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brian W.
keep in mind his is on a DYNO DYNAMICS Dyno...

BC Stage 3 cams
stock head w/ ma-motorsports solid lash kit
20 psi
gt2871R .86
Greddy intake plenum
PFC Djet
Tomei 740cc

dont mind the spike, the boost controller wigged out on this run....
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #107
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

A lot of power, but seems lag-a-riffic to me.

Evans uses dynopack dyno..., where the hubs mount directly to these splined axles that spin inside this hydrauliclly load-changing device.

^ How does dyno dynamics numbers translate into other types?

Daily driven
Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #108
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Dyna-Packs are good dynos.

They can do most of the the things the Dyno Dynamics does without overheating with overheating

so in comparison they are not as good as an overall investment imo.

for tuning and power pulls it should be fine, but they overheat pretty easy.

We did 291 HP 280 Trq at 15.5 psi on Jordans car with a stock s14 long block.

what tires do you have that you are breaking loose that easy? do you have a clutch type LSD? should help a bit.

Take your dynodynamics number multiply it by 1.16 = usually equals Dyno Jet number.

Dyna-Packs are usually like 5% less than Dyno Dynamics depends on some other factors, including that the mass of the wheels is actually

removed from the equation.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #109
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
yeah my setup is a bit laggy. if i used smaller cams and stock intake plenum i could avoid that but i prefer the peaky powerband.

from what ive seen personally Dyno Dynamics read 13-15% lower than Dynojet #s.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #110
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Steve have stock VLSD which fails, I know

Also, have 245/40/17 Kumho MX all the way around, with a 220 treadwear rating.

I need to fine tune my AVC-R to make the boost come in smoother.

Either that, or lower the boost in 1st and 2nd.

On the highway, going 80, downshift into 4th, and she pulls like a bat out of hell

Daily driven
Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #111
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Yeah HP is fun huh, wait until that isnt enough.

It will be on most road courses.

but the addiction overall never goes away when messing around
Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #112
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
keep in mind his is on a DYNO DYNAMICS Dyno...

BC Stage 3 cams
stock head w/ ma-motorsports solid lash kit
20 psi
gt2871R .86
Greddy intake plenum
PFC Djet
Tomei 740cc

dont mind the spike, the boost controller wigged out on this run....
Did you have any problems with the Crower Stage 3 cams? That number seems a little low.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #113
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Did you have any problems with the Crower Stage 3 cams? That number seems a little low.

no problem with the cams and ive installed them in other motors too.

you really think that # is low?

it would be almost 440whp on a Dynojet.

and im running 93 octane pump gas.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #114
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
A lot of power, but seems lag-a-riffic to me.

Evans uses dynopack dyno..., where the hubs mount directly to these splined axles that spin inside this hydrauliclly load-changing device.

^ How does dyno dynamics numbers translate into other types?
Evans does great tunes. Hes a real good guy he tuned my brothers car that made 650whp on race gas. We also took my brothers car on a dyno dynamics and we got the same numbers on that dyno. He also can weld sick intercooler piping i hope that i will get tuned by him in the future.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #115
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

So according to Steve's calculation, to go from Dyna-pack to Dynojet numbers, you should multiply by ~1.21

hmmm...i like the sound of that!

Daily driven
Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #116
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Jeff Evans is owner of Evans Tuning.....word on the street is that he is one of the top tuners in the entire country....has tuned 1000's of cars, including FullRace shop car, president of Apex's car, etc.
www.evans-tuning.com

Jeff is incredibly talented at what he does, and is as honest as one can get with advice. He's not one to deal with BS, and is usually pretty reserved, that is unless you start picking his brain.

He is certainly one of our countries Top (if not the) Honda Tuners (and tuners in general).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Yeah HP is fun huh, wait until that isnt enough.

It will be on most road courses.

but the addiction overall never goes away when messing around
Haha, boost= crack and crack=kills

Quote:
So according to Steve's calculation, to go from Dyna-pack to Dynojet numbers, you should multiply by ~1.21

Don't get tooo caught up in the numbers game with these dynos. Get it to the strip and give us a trap speed Wait till you get some cams in there, you will be very very very happy (get JWT s3's heheh)

And 440 whp on that .86 Brian W? Seems a bit high to be estimating like that. Not doubting, just would love to see an actual number....with that said, are you guys the closest DynoDynamics to me (Poconos PA)....I may need to take a trip to satisfy Steve

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #117
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
evans has a pretty nice dynapack... My one friend got tuned with his ls-vtec 2.0L with a 3076r - made 420whp on 17psi-pump gas

hes mainly for hondas, but will tune almost anything. And his dynapack might read high - we took same exact car to a dynojet and it made 385. coulda been the weather or some other factor ???

hes always booked pretty solid or at least he was last summer.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #118
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Codyace....I was just playing on the numbers....again, the best measure is taking it to the drag strip, assuming equal driving skill

Daily driven
Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #119
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:

Naw, more like 1.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

And 440 whp on that .86 Brian W? Seems a bit high to be estimating like that. Not doubting, just would love to see an actual number....with that said, are you guys the closest DynoDynamics to me (Poconos PA)....I may need to take a trip to satisfy Steve
Yeah I would say more like 420 range

Whe I did 375 on the DD I did 419 on the DJ

Back to Back
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #120
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
evans has a pretty nice dynapack...
And a great shop. Very clean and professional. His Dad's T-Bird shop is awesome too!

Quote:
hes mainly for hondas, but will tune almost anything. And his dynapack might read high - we took same exact car to a dynojet and it made 385. coulda been the weather or some other factor ???
I've seen it read that way as well on some cars, and then damn near equal to D/J numbers on others...

Quote:
hes always booked pretty solid or at least he was last summer.
he's always booked a few weeks, sometimes months in advance. again, great tuner for anyone in the PA/NJ/DE/MD/NY area....