Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #61
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
pilot bushing needs to be made as far as i know. some one might be selling them though. as far as the trans and drive shaft, if you stick with the ka, no mods required. although i read about the throw out bearing falling off the sleeve due to over extension, i think if the ka trans bell housing gets machined so that the same thickness of the adapter can be removes, it might fix the issue. not sure though.
Oh alright. I'll try to findout about the bearing issue.

I have done a bit of searching on google and ebay and local classifieds for a toyota 3v or 5v flywheel but I had no luck. What engine/car/truck do these some in?

I appreciate the help
Jake
Jifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #62
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
toyota trucks from 93 till 05 maybe. 3v is 3.0 and 5v is 3.4 dohc v6
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #63
Jifter
Leaky Injector

oh alright thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #64
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Alright I have been searching for the flywheel and I think I found what I need. Can anyone confirm its the flywheel I will need? Its for a 4runner 3.4l.

XTR Racing HD Flywheel Toyota 4Runner SUV T100 Tacoma Tundra Pickup Truck 3 4L | eBay
Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Anyone know if thats the flywheel I need for the swap?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #66
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bump! Msglength
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #67
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
here is my flywheel setup

3sgt Flywheel.
I than had the machinest notch the center and used the stock LS400 Center bolt plate thing as a pressure plate so all the bolts would have even pressure.
Used 7mge ARP Flywheel bolts as they are longer.

Clutch Disc is from a 300zx and the pressure plate is from a 3sgt
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #68
StryfeS13
It's Always Broken.

Trader Rating: (14)
StryfeS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Wow that starter looks like a PAIN to change...

Anyone have any speedometer view acceleration vids of their 1UZ swap?

Trying to get a "feel" for it's power..
Gotta love Zilvia.
StryfeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #69
Panda-Eats-240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Panda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nicePanda-Eats-240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bump

Any updates?
I've got a nearly complete 1UZ swap on the way for my hatch. Pretty cool to see multiple people doing 1UZ swaps all at the same time on different forums, becoming more popular.
Panda-Eats-240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #70
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
I almost have mine all ready to go in! I got a '91 1uz mated to KA trans. Welded motor mounts setting it almost two inches further back into the bay. I also have the oil pan bunged so I can turbo it later on.

All that's left is to make a 1 piece DS and wiring work. That's about it!

Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #71
Tank240sxT

Tank240sxT is an unknown quantity at this point
Any additional updates on this. I'm working to put together the money for this swap and I'm hoping someone can tell me how they feel about this swap in their 240. I had (lol) a KA-T and I'm looking at this swap rather than going with a built KA and getting the parts back together to go back to having a KA-T.

I'm looking for driving impression based on the power. I think that I would like to go with the 97 or newer motor because of the power rating. My original goal with my 240 build was 300 whp. This would not be that from right off but might be good enough. Oh yeah is anyone hooking up the A/C Atlanta is way to hot not to have it.
Tank240sxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #72
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Unless you're savvy with standalone ecu's I would stray away from the vvti model 1uz. It may make more power off the bat, but the ignition system for those models are a pain in the ass to deal with (very similar to a vq35 swap). I haven't finished my swap yet, but a buddy of mine should be done with his within the next few days, and I'll be able to give some information as far as driving impression goes.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
Tank240sxT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
Unless you're savvy with standalone ecu's I would stray away from the vvti model 1uz. It may make more power off the bat, but the ignition system for those models are a pain in the ass to deal with (very similar to a vq35 swap). I haven't finished my swap yet, but a buddy of mine should be done with his within the next few days, and I'll be able to give some information as far as driving impression goes.
Cool let me know what you think. I have an opportunity to get this swap turn key for $2500 with working A/C. I could likely do this myself but the wife would prefer if I spend that time with her rather than trying to do motor work. She is cool about me doing suspension, cosmetic and stereo stuff but not motor work. I messed up one time and it cost me big. The 1uz may not be big power but most of the time an SR motor set will cost you that much and that is a stock motor. For the money this seems much better. When I think about it the power potential is much higher with this setup. And with this not being a drift car this should be fast and fun.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #74
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
The way I look at it, you've got as much power as a t25 sr20 tuned with 12lbs of boost and bolt ons.

Except stock. Probably mid-low 14 second quarter mile and one of the most reliable motors out there. Early model 1uz's are stout as hell and there's even cars running 600hp on the stock internals.

Basically... CANT WAIT. If the idea I'm working on pans out for the headers... good lord will this be a cheap swap.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #75
Tank240sxT

I wish the early motors had a little more power. The local 240 guys are busting my chops about not doing the VH45 that is closer to the power level I'm after. Thing is the shop that I'm looking at to do the work for me is unfamiliar with the VH swap and therefore the cost will be higher for that swap. Still the 1uz seems like a good way to go. 90 degree V8 smooth which if I have done my research properly ends up giving you what is considered a perfectly balanced engine and in this case really strong internals.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #76
Tank240sxT

turtle m3th any update on your car? I will have the money to move forward with getting my car back on the road. I'm just trying to get a good feel for what I might be getting ready to have done to my car.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #77
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
My buddy is all done with his, but he's pussy footing it around for awhile. My car is far from being up and running, but I've made some serious progress on the motor over the past few days. I'll post some pics in the next few days.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #78
Tank240sxT

Quote:
My buddy is all done with his, but he's pussy footing it around for awhile. My car is far from being up and running, but I've made some serious progress on the motor over the past few days. I'll post some pics in the next few days.
What was your initial impression of your buddies car even though he is driving lightly. Hey it will be cool to see some pictures. A friend of mine is buying his rb25 clip the first of august. I want a v8. The shop I'm working with is looking into the possibility of wiring up an 1997 or higher 1uzfe. I would be a little happier with the power of the later motor because I don't want to turbo the motor. I really wish I understood more about wiring but I don't.

You know not knowing or understanding wiring leaves me thinking that we need to be able to supply power to the ECU and make it so that when we turn the key the car starts. We run the 1uzfe wiring harness to the motor just like it would be in the original car it came from and you would be up and running. Now I know that this would leave us without a working tach and speedometer but in the case of the 1997 and up motor the vvti should work. Like I said I'm over simplifying it and I don't know anything about wiring so I hope no one gets too offended by my noob comments. If anyone can explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #79
Tank240sxT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary660 View Post
Do you have bretts number? Just bought a plate off him but have a question with the flywheel.

Oakley Sunglasses

Contact Us
At Collins Performance Technologies
we pride ourselves on our customer service.
If you have any questions about our products, don't hesitate to contact us!

Phone Number: 803-SWAP-1UZ (803-792-7189)
Texting/MMS: 803-792-7189
Email: [email protected]
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #80
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Good luck dealing with that clown Brett Collins. He always has some bullshit excuse why he hasn't sent you your shit months after the projected date. It's always "i'm sorry, i'm really busy." Maybe don't try to run a fucking company then! Anyways, the 97 up security system is tide into the ecu. You need to have the key, ignition, and some other crap IIRC. There's a reason it isn't done often (yet).
Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #81
Tank240sxT

Quote:
Good luck dealing with that clown Brett Collins. He always has some bullshit excuse why he hasn't sent you your shit months after the projected date. It's always "i'm sorry, i'm really busy." Maybe don't try to run a fucking company then! Anyways, the 97 up security system is tide into the ecu. You need to have the key, ignition, and some other crap IIRC. There's a reason it isn't done often (yet).
Ok now it get it. It is just like my old 540i. On that car there was a separate module that linked it all together. When it went out the car would not start. Had to get that replaced and reprogrammed to the tune of $1k. That is one of the things I like about older cars not so much technology in them that a normal person can't work on them.

Thanks for the info. I still think I'm going to get the 1uz regardless. There is still room for a turbo setup with that motor and I think with a wimpy 7 lbs of boost I should be able to get into the 300 whp realm.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #82
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Just need to get a few more things from the junkyard and autozone, then she'll be ready to fire up! I won't be using any covers on my motor because I'm running an electric ps pump and don't need any of it. I made a tensioner for the alt, and that's pretty much all I needed. I also machined off the additional brackets that I didn't need on the water pump to give it a cleaner look. I'm trying to make the mounts for my fc sometime next week, then start working on wiring right after that.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #83
Tank240sxT

Quote:
Just need to get a few more things from the junkyard and autozone, then she'll be ready to fire up! I won't be using any covers on my motor because I'm running an electric ps pump and don't need any of it. I made a tensioner for the alt, and that's pretty much all I needed. I also machined off the additional brackets that I didn't need on the water pump to give it a cleaner look. I'm trying to make the mounts for my fc sometime next week, then start working on wiring right after that.

Looks sweet! I should be dropping my car off at the end of the month to get the work done. I will put together a little build thread and update it each week after stopping by to see the progress.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #84
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
so my original plan was to buy the brett collings ful kit, but then I decided I didn't want to spend so much money, pls I don't want such a heavy clutch since I will be daily driving. im still going to buy his adapter plate and mounts though. on his website the mounts say for an s13, but im guessing they will also work on an s14? and does anyone know someone that makes the other clutch and flywheel setup/sells it?
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #85
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

I'd go with a flywheel from sitemap toyotav8 toyota lexus manual transmission adaptors toyotav8 dude is super cool and doesn't bullshit you like Brett Collins. You can run whatever sr or ka clutch disk you want, and whatever 3sgte pressure plate you want with their flywheel. Brett just wants to sell you as much crap as possible, but not give you info on how to replace it in the future. He acts like it's custom, but it's not... oh yeah, and mounts are the same between the 13 and 14 chassis. I can sell you legit mounts that aren't out of square if you're interested.

Last edited by turtle m3th; 07-29-2013 at 08:51 AM..
turtle m3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #86
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'd go with a flywheel from sitemap toyotav8 toyota lexus manual transmission adaptors toyotav8 dude is super cool and doesn't bullshit you like Brett Collins. You can run whatever sr or ka clutch disk you want, and whatever 3sgte pressure plate you want with their flywheel. Brett just wants to sell you as much crap as possible, but not give you info on how to replace it in the future. He acts like it's custom, but it's not... oh yeah, and mounts are the same between the 13 and 14 chassis. I can sell you legit mounts that aren't out of square if you're interested.
One thing I think it odd, is NOBODY sells headers with their kits. Granted, I understand it's a tight fit, etc etc, but after spending a bunch of money on a mount kit, you still have to fab your own headers? I mean, if the LS guys can get sexy headers to fit, why can't the 1UZ guys get a long-tube header to fit cleanly and elegantly? Is it a size/space thing? Is the LS engine that much narrower than a 1uz? Is it because 1UZ's are poorman's V8 swaps?
MiamiZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #87
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

Quote:
so is this the flywheel you are recommending? Modified 3SGTE Flywheel

and pm me with info on the mounts please. brand, etc., and your price shipped to 42501.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #88
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiZ33 View Post
One thing I think it odd, is NOBODY sells headers with their kits. Granted, I understand it's a tight fit, etc etc, but after spending a bunch of money on a mount kit, you still have to fab your own headers? I mean, if the LS guys can get sexy headers to fit, why can't the 1UZ guys get a long-tube header to fit cleanly and elegantly? Is it a size/space thing? Is the LS engine that much narrower than a 1uz? Is it because 1UZ's are poorman's V8 swaps?

Im going to utilize a modified steering shaft from the concept8 5.0sbf swap kit in order to use the stock or 2uz headers. Will report back. . In 3 months.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #89
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
Im going to utilize a modified steering shaft from the concept8 5.0sbf swap kit in order to use the stock or 2uz headers. Will report back. . In 3 months.
Tell me more... I can't seem to find any info online about Concept-8 steering shafts..
MiamiZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #90
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

^^ same here. any other supporting proof that this will work? any links to where one can be obtained?