Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
Gunnar240sx

Trader Rating: (0)
Gunnar240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coilover recommendations

Hey guys,

So when I bought my tein street flex coilovers I basically had no idea what I was buying. I’ve had them for two years but they are just too harsh for daily driving. I commute 80miles mon-fri. What’s my best recourse here? Can I pick up some springs with a softer rate and be good from there? I can’t remember exactly but I’m currently somewhere.in the 10-12 range. I will say They feel amazing on a smooth rd.

Thanks

G
Gunnar240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Fortune auto. Tell them you want low spring rates and valving done to accommodate more for daily driving. I've ran megan, parts shop max, stance, and fortune auto (3x). F.A for sure makes more forgiving coilovers.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
racelands, cheap and life time warranty
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
powered by max...also lifetime warranty
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Abeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Fortune auto. Tell them you want low spring rates and valving done to accommodate more for daily driving. I've ran megan, parts shop max, stance, and fortune auto (3x). F.A for sure makes more forgiving coilovers.
I did that, and still got a harsh 7/6 setup. Their standard rear uprights are set up to have the rear of the car dumped, and I needed to preload the springs to get the ride height I wanted. I'm currently looking into a dual spring setup for initial plushness.

After all the talk on this forum about the ride quality of the F500's, it still doesn't match my buddies setup of flex coilovers with tender springs.
Abeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Ratpack_Chad
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Ratpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the roughRatpack_Chad is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get softer swift springs and add helpers
Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
7/6 is pretty soft for s-chassis
8/6 is the default for most 240 coils
you may need to order custom spring rates, or consider custom damping
Powertrix has a great line of coilovers plus they're in san diego so you get local support

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
7/6 is pretty soft for s-chassis
8/6 is the default for most 240 coils
you may need to order custom spring rates, or consider custom damping
Powertrix has a great line of coilovers plus they're in san diego so you get local support
Depends on your definition of soft. Stock is 2/2, lowering springs are 2 to 5.

You can't have OEM initial plushness when going up 3 times in stiffness. You also can't dial in plushness with the compression adjusters at that spring rate.

This is why I'm looking at a progressive spring rate with helper springs... have the rate ramp up with travel, so the suspension can absorb little hits while transitioning to harder spring rates at deeper travel.

OP: if you are at 12 or 10, try a 7/6 or 7/5 rate first... there shouldn't be any problems finding a used set from someone going stiffer.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
I did that, and still got a harsh 7/6 setup. Their standard rear uprights are set up to have the rear of the car dumped, and I needed to preload the springs to get the ride height I wanted. I'm currently looking into a dual spring setup for initial plushness.

After all the talk on this forum about the ride quality of the F500's, it still doesn't match my buddies setup of flex coilovers with tender springs.
My current setup Stance SS+ coilovers are 8/6 plus helper springs in the rear. They are not as forgiving as FA's have been for me in the past. I would personally go lower on the rates if daily driving was the cars only purpose. Tell them you do not need them to go super low and ask for helper springs up front and in the rear. I can imagine those riding super comfy.

You got to understand that a coilover system will never be as comfortable as a spring and shock combo.

Also if you have not replaced old bushings/ball joints, inner and outers etc you car will feel like ass. Which leads me to my next point if you did change them out but went with solid bushings rather than polyurethane parts be prepared to lose comfort. Same goes for suspension arms.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
My current setup Stance SS+ coilovers are 8/6 plus helper springs in the rear. They are not as forgiving as FA's have been for me in the past. I would personally go lower on the rates if daily driving was the cars only purpose. Tell them you do not need them to go super low and ask for helper springs up front and in the rear. I can imagine those riding super comfy.

You got to understand that a coilover system will never be as comfortable as a spring and shock combo.

Also if you have not replaced old bushings/ball joints, inner and outers etc you car will feel like ass. Which leads me to my next point if you did change them out but went with solid bushings rather than polyurethane parts be prepared to lose comfort. Same goes for suspension arms.
I went with SPC arms with rubber bushings everywhere for ride quality. No polyurethane in my car except for the steering rack. Rest of the bushings are good, balljoints are tight.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
...I'd start by posting in the right area.

Y'all should be ashamed. Without rules, Zilvia would turn into a total shitfest.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
DomChan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
DomChan is making a name for him/her selfDomChan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
10/8 Fortune Autos which I daily’d with a tucked 18” wheel setup on an s14. As comfortable as it gets!
DomChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
I run 8/4 feal 441
Old 04-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #14
Gunnar240sx

Gunnar240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the comments everyone. My car needs a lot of work. I think I ought to buy a different daily at this point so I can actually have time fix all the areas that are begging for attention. One weekend at a time I guess.
Gunnar240sx is offline   Reply With Quote