Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #13021
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
250 w 93 octane gas only. 227 w 91 octane. interestingly around only 18 states now have 93. good thing its awd with all the torque but a shame no manual. would like to see how this compares to the gti. tempted to say veloster n too, but I almost forgot these are 'upscale' cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._S...tane_Standards
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #13022
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
How the hell is it Nissan pioneered the CVT and have the most issues with it? Every other automaker seems to be doing fine with their versions of it.
CVTs usually suck - it's a difficult mechanical thing to pull off in such a way that it doesn't suck.

Famous garbage for well over a decade, basically every model designed after 2000. Badly thought out, bad build quality, bad goals (sell throwaway soccer practice machines), bad materials.

It's not just transmissions, they've gotten in with a bad crowd there (jatco) but that's just because they're birds of a feather. They've got plenty of engines with a lifespan about equal to their transmissions, plenty of terrible ideas and corners cut in suspension, interior, computers and wiring, and then trying to seal all these systems against any mechanical repair - it's not just a box of broken, it's a WELDED SHUT box of broken.

They've been working on short term money and ephemeral "market gains", and burnt everything. They can't because they don't want to. The car you want to buy isn't the car they want to sell.

If their heart's not in it, there's nothing you can do but leave or get kicked more - it's just like any abusive relationship with a narcissist whole sold you a false bill of goods. They'll do it as long as you let them.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #13023
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
250 w 93 octane gas only. 227 w 91 octane. interestingly around only 18 states now have 93. good thing its awd with all the torque but a shame no manual. would like to see how this compares to the gti. tempted to say veloster n too, but I almost forgot these are 'upscale' cars.

Yeah we have across the whole state here. I haven?t put non premium in a car forever. A manual would have cemented it for me.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #13024
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post

That's a not very meaningful scattering of notes of people's impressions, as far as I can tell.

For example, it implies that texas doesn't have much 93, which may be true as a percentage of stations, but they say that only 91 is available in el paso, and I'm sure 93 is, you just need to know if you're going to need it.

So I'm not sure it's that bleak in the other states, either. Maybe the dakotas or wyoming or something, but just finding a gas station there would probably be relief enough.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #13025
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I caved and bought a manual BRZ last week. If you haven't driven one yet you owe it to yourself to find one. It'd be nice if it had a turbo but that hasn't made a dent in my enjoyment.

Someone built what we've been asking for for fucking years and it's great, we should be talking about that more. It'd be nice if it was an IDx NISMO but Nissan has been full of shit for 15 years or more. Hell, we should be hyping a fourth gen Urge right now instead of squeezing out some interest in what's likely to be another over priced under performing Z.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 AM   #13026
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
I caved and bought a manual BRZ last week. If you haven't driven one yet you owe it to yourself to find one. It'd be nice if it had a turbo but that hasn't made a dent in my enjoyment.

Someone built what we've been asking for for fucking years and it's great, we should be talking about that more. It'd be nice if it was an IDx NISMO but Nissan has been full of shit for 15 years or more. Hell, we should be hyping a fourth gen Urge right now instead of squeezing out some interest in what's likely to be another over priced under performing Z.
Nice work on the BRZ buy. I?ve always wanted to drive one.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #13027
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Quote:

Nice. I was always curious on how the BRZ is. I've driven a bone stock FRS and know that it's factory tuned to be a bit more tail-happy compared to the BRZ being not so much, which is what I'd prefer.

Bashing the FRS/GT86/BRZ is nitpicking. I'm just grateful an automaker has let a small RWD car be built at all nowadays.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #13028
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
as soon as they're available in the $4-5k range for high mileage/blown motor condition, i'm getting one. . . . . .

and stuffing an SR in it.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #13029
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
as soon as they're available in the $4-5k range for high mileage/blown motor condition, i'm getting one. . . . . .

and stuffing an SR in it.
K24 bruh. SR is an overpriced junk motor these days.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #13030
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Driven a BRZ & FR-S, really not a car worth financing if you already have an S-chassis. Handling excuses are just that... it NEEDs power.

As said above... 6k with swap or F.I [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #13031
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

i got a 2019 86 at the end of march and Its been awesome. lots of fun right out of the box.

People will always complain about things. Like you, I think its great that something like this exists among all the CUVs being pushed out these days.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #13032
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
K24, the new LS.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #13033
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
K24, the new LS.
the ls for dudes who like good sounds

but for real, eagerly awaiting the day when bhg zn6's start flooding craigslist. a turbo beams swap would be a cheap-ish option. turbo k24 would be ideal though hahaha
Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #13034
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
You'd be a fool to SR swap this chassis. This engine feels so satisfying to drive and its got power on par with most oem SR20DETs.

We've all become jaded with HP numbers and expectations without realistic context. Seriously, go drive one of these or an Ecoboost Mustang. I'm not ditching the old S13 but I've got no illusions about it being a daily driver anymore. It needs an overhaul across the board before it even competes.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #13035
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
k-series is a great option, I just happen to already have enough spare sr20 shit lying around that it won't take much to piece together a complete swap.

k-series i'd have to start from scratch.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #13036
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
I absolutely LOVED my BRZ. Excellent road manners, great to autoX even in stock form. I did minor upgrades, like sway bars, tires, and other stuff and had no issue with the stock power.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #13037
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I keep seeing everyone touting K series and there's still almost no K series s-chassis being actually driven... What two or three now? Togue factory and Hertrech's hatch.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #13038
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
brz's a great a choice. a couple years from now, you may not even get cars like that. the hakone green for the 86 is a great color. have no issue with engine either, if the torque dip issue is problem enough there are aftermarket solutions.

thank you for supporting manufacturers who still make fun cars like this and saving the manuals. that being said also curious to see how the '21 models will look like.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #13039
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
I supported Toyota by buying a Tacoma. Not gonna be in the Market for a 2door coupe anytime soon, but still keeping hope for the future of compact sport coupes. Come ooooon turbo gt86/brz twinz. (Or manual Q50/60...whatever they're called.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #13040
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Yeah if the the next gens are turbo and 250ish hp there’s a very good chance I get one. That just sounds like the perfect package.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #13041
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

From what I'm seeing in my research these cars are damn near bolt on for turbo swaps and easy to tune. The only issue is the high compression ratio if you're looking for big power.

To turbo a KA you're upgrading the entire fuel system, some kind of spark upgrade(probably could on plug), turbo manifold, relocate battery to be able to route intercooler piping, get an oil block and run lines to the turbo, figure out a coolant loop... It keeps going and going. Yeah, sourcing all those parts and figuring shit out is part of the fun, but at some point you want to just drive the car.

I'm seeing kits like to the AVO that are literally bolt on including a tune, and the shit looks near OEM. It's really blowing my mind.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #13042
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
You'd be a fool to SR swap this chassis. This engine feels so satisfying to drive and its got power on par with most oem SR20DETs.

We've all become jaded with HP numbers and expectations without realistic context. Seriously, go drive one of these or an Ecoboost Mustang. I'm not ditching the old S13 but I've got no illusions about it being a daily driver anymore. It needs an overhaul across the board before it even competes.

People shit on it but I drove an auto Ecoboost Mustang as a rental and it was honestly a blast to drive. Would make a great DD if I?m being honest.

Was very quick 0-80mph. The nose was light and the car had pretty good turn in.

If Ford would put that engine in a smaller non mustang coupe it would be a killer car instead of the ?shoulda bought a v8 it is now?.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #13043
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

mustang isn't a bad car, but somehow between the vague steering, softer suspension and larger dimensions I find it feels like a heavier car than it actually is. had a 12 boss and always found it resembled more like an old man's grand tourer. More fun on the freeway and track event but too large and not quite as responsive as I'd like for a fun daily.

i imagine the gt350 to be great and it's still hard to hide that wheelbase and dimensions to make a fantastic daily driver. often wondered if the c7 corvette would make a good daily.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #13044
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

So yeah, what do we all think of the Bronco?

Honestly this kinda thing isn?t for me. Wranglers have never even slightly appealed to me. Yeah the Raptor is dope and so is the ZR2 but I don?t think I?d ever actually buy one.

But I gotta be real here...this thing is fucking rad. I don?t know shit about actually off reading, but from a design aspect and over all package this thing is a straight up winner. If it?s getting me to want one I think they have a real winner on their hands.

Even the base one in black looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #13045
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
All white oj model would be the best option
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #13046
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
IMO, Ford has done a fantastic job with the Bronco. Purely looking at the styling, features and specs, this will be a huge seller. Probably two-three years down the road, they will most likely have a "Raptor" edition.

I also think the Bronco Sport is a good vehicle as well. It fills a niche market for people that want a compact crossover with boxy styling, some rugged capabilities and not break the bank.

Slightly off-topic: GM dropped the ball big time. They should have seized the moment and come out with a proper body-on-frame "Blazer" SUV to compete in this market.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #13047
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
So yeah, what do we all think of the Bronco?

Honestly this kinda thing isn?t for me. Wranglers have never even slightly appealed to me. Yeah the Raptor is dope and so is the ZR2 but I don?t think I?d ever actually buy one.

But I gotta be real here...this thing is fucking rad. I don?t know shit about actually off reading, but from a design aspect and over all package this thing is a straight up winner. If it?s getting me to want one I think they have a real winner on their hands.
My sentiment exactly. I really dig it, and I really don't like FORDs. The styling, powertrain, and removable panels got me. However I'm not yet sold on the interior.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #13048
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
Slightly off-topic: GM dropped the ball big time. They should have seized the moment and come out with a proper body-on-frame "Blazer" SUV to compete in this market.
Totally agree. I did this photochop back in 2017. This thing would have been tits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #13049
olah.inc
Zilvia Member

olah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enougholah.inc will become famous soon enough
X

olah.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #13050
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
i think BestCar nailed the front end in that rendering... but the rear end is anyones guess right now

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote