Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Well it seems one should just skip M11 then, as M11 time serts are larger in diameter than M12x1.25 threads, and I know that 1/2in studs are really close to too big for the block and you can start running into wall thickness issues depending on core shift.

Good call on the washers, I've never put them in a KA head but we use them in the 4G63 platform.
I wouldn't necessarily say so, m12s would require machining done to the head to be able to torque the fastener, unless someone create some sort of custom nut to allow use of smaller socket. Not needed with m11s, and with l19/ca625, you'll still get comparable clamping loads which probably sufficient for 95% of builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Holy shit. Man, development for the KA lately has been so cool to see. Thanks for explaining, guys. Who do we owe thanks for these headstub/timesert discoveries for the KA? Did this come from Tomei or some KA-T community diehard?
The idea of using a bigger headstud in KA has kicked around for awhile. Dsport had wrote an article about using timeserts for a bigger stud in KAs, but i'm sure they probably got the idea from somewhere else as well, they just brought it to light. Duncan351 documented the use of insert washers with the KA.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/how-to...of-any-engine/

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php
Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this thread is cool; sub'd. glad to see it staying civil. love the geeking out over small stuff like headstud size.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #33
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess i could do up some pros and cons on Ka24de, since we're talking about it.

Pros:
-original equipped engine, so no dot/carb/epa/etc. fussiness
-iron block durability
-good low/midrange tq due to long stroke and displacement
-decent rod/stroke ratio even with larger displacement
-simple shim over bucket valvetrain
-240 KA blocks utilizes a one piece main cap girdle design and piston squirters
-Factory forged crank and rods
-Aftermarket support has gotten better in the last 10 years

Cons:
-original engine, so high mileage engines will probably need a refresh/rebuild in most cases
-iron block is heavy
-Distributor ignition
-Factory cams are bad in any application except maybe economy
-long stroke = reaches critical piston speeds quicker
-Half counterweighted crank
-Cast pistons, low hp capacity
-aftermarket support still isn't anywhere near sr20, evo, etc.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #34
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
What about 4G63?

Pros:
Massive aftermarket support
Factory internals good for 400wtq
Legendary iron block durability
Great oil pump
hydraulic lifter head that's good for short bursts to 10,000rpm+
Mivec (Evo 9) for a broad power band
Bellhousing adapters available for a variety of transmissions

Cons:
No swap kit, so everything is custom fabricated
Cooling system needs to either be modified or coolant routed from back of head
Not a popular swap, so very little support for "swap problems"
Heavy
Reliability modifications necessary (Balance shaft delete)

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
May as well go 4B11T. Least it was made for inline installs.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #36
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
Cons:
Imma have to disagree on this, plenty dudes run stock intake, heads and cams making almost equal HP/TQ, in the KA groups we always recommend an intake and some generic 264 cams if you're trying to push more than 500 and want just a tad more flow up top.

What I do want to see since I havent seen any proper numbers or reviews is the tomei poncams for the KA, I wouldnt mind the less torque to save my stock trans for some more highend rev and more brap sounds.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #37
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
As much as I love the 4G, it seems overly complex to achieve the same results a properly sorted VET will get you sans the complexity of making mounts, trans adapter, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, coolant routing, etc etc. 4G iron block is soemwhat heavier than the a SR.

Non billet mains, etc should be good for just shy of 600WHP before block cracking issues on stock sleeves. At which point, a proper Plazaman girdle and billet mains and you are good for well over 800 WHP. Throw some sleeves in and you are at the cost of entry for custom trans adpater, mounts, etc just to get the 4G into a S chassis.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
The idea of using a bigger headstud in KA has kicked around for awhile. Dsport had wrote an article about using timeserts for a bigger stud in KAs, but i'm sure they probably got the idea from somewhere else as well, they just brought it to light. Duncan351 documented the use of insert washers with the KA.

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/how-to...of-any-engine/

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php
Thanks man. I haven't been to KA-T.org in years. Let me go see whats new over there...
Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #39
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Imma have to disagree on this, plenty dudes run stock intake, heads and cams making almost equal HP/TQ, in the KA groups we always recommend an intake and some generic 264 cams if you're trying to push more than 500 and want just a tad more flow up top.

What I do want to see since I havent seen any proper numbers or reviews is the tomei poncams for the KA, I wouldnt mind the less torque to save my stock trans for some more highend rev and more brap sounds.
The additional airflow from a turbo makes stock cams not seem as bad, but they're still terrible, minus maybe the dual 248 cams. Take a look at any stock Kade dyno, torque falls off really bad after 4-4.5k. Just about any engine platform is going to benefit from bigger cams, but with KAs just more so.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #40
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
May as well go 4B11T. Least it was made for inline installs.
Negative. There are no 4B11's in longitudinal applications. The genesis engine is 2-bolt main, different head, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post

The old addage of "cams shift power right" isn't always true nowadays. Cam profiles are much better, and you generally make more power everywhere with a mild set, except maybe under 3000rpm, which we all know is pointless anyway. A set of cams massively improves the KA's powerband. The only reason they make equal hp/tq is because they have a big torque hit with boost and then hp falls way off up top. Rally car powerbands aren't ideal lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
As much as I love the 4G, it seems overly complex to achieve the same results a properly sorted VET will get you sans the complexity of making mounts, trans adapter, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, coolant routing, etc etc. 4G iron block is soemwhat heavier than the a SR.

Non billet mains, etc should be good for just shy of 600WHP before block cracking issues on stock sleeves. At which point, a proper Plazaman girdle and billet mains and you are good for well over 800 WHP. Throw some sleeves in and you are at the cost of entry for custom trans adpater, mounts, etc just to get the 4G into a S chassis.
Dang, I haven't been following the SR world for a while, guys are pushing 600+ on stock sleeves? That's awesome.

Yeah it's all pretty close. VE head is much better than a 4G63 flow wise. The dirt cheap engine and lack of expensive machining is really the only advantage if you're looking to push big power I guess.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #41
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Stock VQ35HR on 265's = reliable rocket ship.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #42
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
I guess i could do up some pros and cons on Ka24de, since we're talking about it.

Pros:
-original equipped engine, so no dot/carb/epa/etc. fussiness
-iron block durability
-good low/midrange tq due to long stroke and displacement
-decent rod/stroke ratio even with larger displacement
-simple shim over bucket valvetrain
-240 KA blocks utilizes a one piece main cap girdle design and piston squirters
-Factory forged crank and rods
-Aftermarket support has gotten better in the last 10 years

Cons:
-original engine, so high mileage engines will probably need a refresh/rebuild in most cases
-iron block is heavy
-Distributor ignition
-long stroke = reaches critical piston speeds quicker
-Half counterweighted crank
-Cast pistons, low hp capacity
-aftermarket support still isn't anywhere near sr20, evo, etc.
QTF gota say, this was well written, this kinda what I'm lookin for

its too easy because it comes in the 240
I want this but lets include other platforms, cars, etc... any car that you think is worthy RWD candidate... weight, style, parts, it all counts and if it isn't we will all point and laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
What about 4G63?

Pros:
Massive aftermarket support
Factory internals good for 400wtq
Legendary iron block durability
Great oil pump
hydraulic lifter head that's good for short bursts to 10,000rpm+
Mivec (Evo 9) for a broad power band
Bellhousing adapters available for a variety of transmissions

Cons:
No swap kit, so everything is custom fabricated
Cooling system needs to either be modified or coolant routed from back of head
Not a popular swap, so very little support for "swap problems"
Heavy
Reliability modifications necessary (Balance shaft delete)
This was well done , however it leaves me wanting to know much more.
What is 4g63 weight, we must compare it with sr20, and aluminum LS engine for sure. Also 3SGTE and similar 1.8L engines I am curious weight difference. Nothing quite like removing 100lbs from the nose of a RWD vehicle. There are not many FWD engines I would adapt to RWD but the 4G and similarly famous 1.8~range is applicable.
I am curious about the ignition, dwell, coils, typical gap, racer details. Oil control strats that work right out of the box, where do most people buy their 'built' 4g63, what piston alloy is typically selected, the list man we need the list

I'm curious about corolla-weight cars (2200-2800 ranges) using 1.6-2.2L engines RWD around 300-500hp... And slightly heavier options (2800-3400lbs) using slightly larger engines (2.5-3.5L) and of course an aluminum LS can go into anything easily so thats always a worthwhile comparison contrast unit.

The LS platform is sort of like a 'bare minimum' or how you say 'standard comparison' because there are so many statistics on them in all manner of weight range RWD platforms... so this is a chance to see how other platforms and engines stack up against them.

I'll come back eventually with some more SR vs LS in a 240 platform comparisons but I want to learn more about the other engines and cars... thank you those who contribute valuable experience there was more than just the above those were just highlights so far
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #43
zenkicpe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
zenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Surprised no one has listed the K24 yet.. I dont know many of the details off hand but there are a few swaps into S-chassis out there
zenkicpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #44
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Counteract is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkicpe View Post
Surprised no one has listed the K24 yet.. I dont know many of the details off hand but there are a few swaps into S-chassis out there
Funny, I was thinking about posting the same thing. K20s and K24s are awesome. In very basic terms, they're similar to an SR20VE engine, but a lot cheaper to acquire - installing may be a different story. K20s share their R/S ration with a 2JZ only they're obviously four cylinder.

They seem like stout little engines, main cons are the sump set up when converting to RWD, the inlet options when converting to RWD and also the transmission options.

I recently bought a K20A6 (9.5:1 CR) for £80 (~100USD) and sold the transmission for £70 (~85USD) - they can be picked up cheap.
Counteract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #45
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
^^ Apparently Touge Factory is working on a "bolt-in" K-swap kit for the S-Chassis... It's going to keep the stock subframe and steering rack.

Hert did a video with them talking about it on his way to Final Bout.
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #46
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
If I can keep my A/C I'm sold
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #47
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
13b rotary
pros revs to the moon! lol 9k factory
smooth power delivery
small size
~300lbs with all accessories
self "cleaning"
fewer moving parts so less to worry about
best power delivery ratio
can just add more rotors to make more power
easy to rebuild

cons
high heat
seals develop carbon buildup quickly causing loss in compression and need for frequent rebuilds
poor economy compared to similar engine displacements
consumes oil due to oil injection system
launching can cause rotors to become inbalanced
factory ignition system tends to be weak
rebuild easily messed up with seals being primarily silicone

ej25
pros
self balancing
lots of power per displacement
efficient and compact design
design enables engine to be mounted lower and thereby lower center of gravity of vehicle
factory up to 400hp reliably
easy to work on
easy to maintain
easy to rebuild

cons
high heat
head gaskets blow as apparent regular maintenance (normally due to overheating)
poor economy compared to other 4 cylinders
parts are a little pricier
factory exhaust also causes heat buildup contributing to burnt valves
factory pistons can crush ringlands without changing factory configurations (boost, fuel, timing etc)
bulky horizontally due to tall heads on either side
lots of electronics that fail, especially emissions devices
poor economy with modifications, scaling far worse than other 4 cylinders eg: 565 injectors ~23mpg mixed on my sti, 1300 injectors ~16mpg mixed driving (i know can get smaller injector and prob would do better lol)
factory tune contributes to engine failure
factory oiling system prone to issues

both just thoughts i had regarding a blown rotory i just swapped out for a guy and my current sti!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #48
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Mercedes- Benz M270/m274 found in the Infiniti Q60. Pro it can handle 400hp in the 2018 or newer versions.

Cons it only comes awd or fwd.

I was told there is a rwd version in Germany, but couldn't find it.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #49
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
^^ Apparently Touge Factory is working on a "bolt-in" K-swap kit for the S-Chassis... It's going to keep the stock subframe and steering rack.

Hert did a video with them talking about it on his way to Final Bout.
There is whole video from Speed Academy on how its done and the oil pan looks horrible.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
There is whole video from Speed Academy on how its done and the oil pan looks horrible.
??? What does that Speed Academy K-Swap series have to do with the full "drop-in" kit Touge Factory is working on?
Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #51
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Only problem with the k swap is the height of the engine. I know Speed academy had to space their subframe down and was hoping TF would find a workaround but i talked to them and they had to space it down as well. They said it was only 7mm but till kinda annoying
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #52
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #53
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv_zenki View Post
Only problem with the k swap is the height of the engine. I know Speed academy had to space their subframe down and was hoping TF would find a workaround but i talked to them and they had to space it down as well. They said it was only 7mm but till kinda annoying
I believe the solution is a modified oil pump pickup. I have an S2000 pump for my application, I have just seen how TF plan to do it but I plan to do it another way again.

Once I have developed this I will look into a tubular (read thinner) subframe to help drop the motor even lower.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #54
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv_zenki View Post
Is dropping the front subframe by that much a pretty big negative?
Old 08-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #55
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
Is dropping the front subframe by that much a pretty big negative?
It will affect your geometry a lot, especially when you go as extreme as they did. As much as I love what Speed Academy did, sometimes their techniques left a lot to be desired...

Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #56
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post

ej25
pros
self balancing
lots of power per displacement
efficient and compact design
design enables engine to be mounted lower and thereby lower center of gravity of vehicle
factory up to 400hp reliably
easy to work on
easy to maintain
easy to rebuild

cons
high heat
head gaskets blow as apparent regular maintenance (normally due to overheating)
poor economy compared to other 4 cylinders
parts are a little pricier
factory exhaust also causes heat buildup contributing to burnt valves
factory pistons can crush ringlands without changing factory configurations (boost, fuel, timing etc)
bulky horizontally due to tall heads on either side
lots of electronics that fail, especially emissions devices
poor economy with modifications, scaling far worse than other 4 cylinders eg: 565 injectors ~23mpg mixed on my sti, 1300 injectors ~16mpg mixed driving (i know can get smaller injector and prob would do better lol)
factory tune contributes to engine failure
factory oiling system prone to issues

both just thoughts i had regarding a blown rotory i just swapped out for a guy and my current sti!

These two things do not correlate.

Also EJ25 in an s-chassis? That is something I've never seen/read/heard of
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #57
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I hate to eliminate them but the V6 and split 4-cylinder designs do not apply in this thread at all in any shape or form for a variety of reasons, mostly due to inherent complexity vs superior alternatives.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #58
Counteract
Leaky Injector

https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....-Sil80-Project

4G63 swapped 200SX S13. Seems like a really interesting build, more for the technical stuff like the wiring and how the owner has engineered the shifting geekery on page 9/10
Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #59
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
There's a guy here that swapped a BEAMS 3sge from an Altezza into an s chassis. Seems like a great alternative to the SR and the exhaust side is on the same side to make plumbing for fuel and exhaust easier. The closed deck iron block and the Yamaha-built high flowing dual vvti cylinder head make for a stout NA or boosted engine. They also come with a 6 speed trans and are less than $1500 for a motorset.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #60
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
hexa garage made motor mounts that allow for a vq35hr to fit under a stock hood. Might work for the vq37 too but im not sure. Not a bad route for easy and reliable 300-330hp.
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote