Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #631
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Yardjass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
These people with Kouki’s crack me up. They truly believe these cars will be worth something one day. I hope I’m wrong, but I highly doubt a humdrum, anorexic, unmolested KA car will ever be worth real coin.
These cars have peaked, except for a few isolated situations featuring unicorn examples combined with finding the right buyer. The FRS/BRZ and their continued downward depreciation will soon collide and squeeze S-chassis prices down lower in the lightweight sports coupe market. The only way this doesn't happen is if they actually cancel the Toyoburu and they start going up in value like the S2000 did. I don't see that happening though.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #632
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Complete Opposite

I wanted a R32 GTR for years.

Now I can have one, and I kinda just don't care.

Also. Amusing how even an imported Supra is $5-25k more then a GTR.

God damn N/A cars are $25-30k and Turbos are $40k+.

#GTOLife [emoji23][emoji1787]
In my humble opinion, the S-Chassis factor will play a big part.

...but the Supra is newer than the R32 and, let's face it, assembled better.

I think the S-Chassis factor will make a difference. It's all about hype for these kids and when they can get that hype at the cost of a new FRS they'll be all over it. Then we can watch the final SChassis variant be born here and systematically executed across our country.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #633
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
These cars have peaked, except for a few isolated situations featuring unicorn examples combined with finding the right buyer. The FRS/BRZ and their continued downward depreciation will soon collide and squeeze S-chassis prices down lower in the lightweight sports coupe market. The only way this doesn't happen is if they actually cancel the Toyoburu and they start going up in value like the S2000 did. I don't see that happening though.
I still disagree. I don't think the SChassis prices will go down simply to compete with the FRS/BRZ. If people are looking for S13s/S14s by the time the ZN6 sinks that low I'm sure they'll be willing to pay.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #634
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I still disagree. I don't think the SChassis prices will go down simply to compete with the FRS/BRZ. If people are looking for S13s/S14s by the time the ZN6 sinks that low I'm sure they'll be willing to pay.
I think the S13/S14 will eventually disappear and be a foot note. They are destined to be the next Datsun 510.

Everyone loved them, everyone still loves them. No one is going to shell out $30k for one.

S13/14 is also doomed because there is a zero reproduction market. I could. Litterly build a Fox Body from scratch with new parts.

Can you even get a Dash or a steal fender for a S14?

A 240sx is and will always be the car you bought because you could not afford the one you wanted.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #635
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMO the S-chassis market will be very complex in the future. I think clean 180sx and Silvia examples with the right configurations will demand higher $$, which I think in turn will bump up the USDM market. I don't see them ever being E30 M3 status but I see them doing better than the Datsun 510 market, but not by much.

Quote:
A 240sx is and will always be the car you bought because you could not afford the one you wanted.
Fuck that. I've had much nicer cars and keep coming back to them.

Quote:
Yeah. It would be a hollow victory.

Farzam - Don't align yourself with Corbic. He'll have you driving a Mustang or a uNdErApPrECiAtEd JdM LeGeNd in no time.

Corbic -
I mean i've had 2 R32 which are pLaYeD oUt AnD oVeRdOnE...but i'd probably never own a Mustang. Although there are some models and certain years I have respect for
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #636
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
key sign that you never "got it"
Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #637
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Everyone loved them, everyone still loves them. No one is going to shell out $30k for one.
I don't think anyone expects $30k. I'd expect just under that for a low mileage, all-optional-pars, no repair history S15 Spec R.

Quote:
S13/14 is also doomed because there is a zero reproduction market. I could. Litterly build a Fox Body from scratch with new parts.
*literally.

Quote:
Can you even get a Dash or a steal fender for a S14?
No and No. Steel fenders only.

Quote:
This may be true for you, but it's not for the rest of us. deolio said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
I mean i've had 2 R32 which are pLaYeD oUt AnD oVeRdOnE...but i'd probably never own a Mustang. Although there are some models and certain years I have respect for
I was making fun of his world-ender Japanese GEEDEEOHHH.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #638
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
key sign that you never "got it"
Owned one for 12 years. What's to "get".
Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #639
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I don't think anyone expects $30k. I'd expect just under that for a low mileage, all-optional-pars, no repair history S15 Spec R.

*literally.

No and No. Steel fenders only.

This may be true for you, but it's not for the rest of us. deolio said it best.

I was making fun of his world-ender Japanese GEEDEEOHHH.
"Rest of you" won't be raising paddles at the Barret Jackson any time soon.

The entire novelty of the car pisses away when it's a rusted hunk of shit and is going to cost $30k to restore. That's the problem.

This is your typical 240sx today -

And there are just not thousands of guys willing to put $20k, $30k... $50k into them too get back to here...

We've been talking about this for a decade now and all that's happen is the cars have gotten shitter but the price ceiling hasn't moved and inch.

Why pay $25k for a 240 when you can get a Gaaaadeemmmm Supra, GTR, Corvete, Evo, STI, brand new FRZ86, S2K, FD, M3... Et el.

Then again you guys pay $600 for cup holders. Gotta drink that coolaid from something.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #640
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
30K isn't bad for a restoration...i know i don't personally feel that a 240 is worth that either but while i was doing it with my dad we were doing packards and Studebakers for 100-200k..they were also rusted out and in terrible shape when they started out
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #641
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
30K isn't bad for a restoration...i know i don't personally feel that a 240 is worth that either but while i was doing it with my dad we were doing packards and Studebakers for 100-200k..they were also rusted out and in terrible shape when they started out
I was assuming your doing the labor yourself, but yeah throw a few thousand hours of labor and hunting for original parts with premium prices etc. and full resto jobs are easily six figures.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #642
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Complete Opposite

I wanted a R32 GTR for years.

Now I can have one, and I kinda just don't care.
agreed sir! about the ONLY car i want to import is an S15 silvia. i use to dream of the day when i could own a GTR... now, no fucks given

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #643
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Question for those who have driven an S15..is it a rattle box like the s13 and s14? It looks like it wouldn't be, but it is pretty much an updated s14.

I wanted a supra, but I saw the prices and decided to get an IS300 and make a supra out of that which will cost me less than 20k total. A TT 6spd is and will be the hemi 'cuda of Japan.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #644
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
corbic, are your parents by chance cousins? did they like mustangs too?

sTeaL fEnDeRsssSSs
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #645
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
read the last six pages.

I feel like i'm home...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #646
Yardjass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Yardjass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
You have to look at what you can get for that money though. You can damn near get a C6Z for that now. You can get a brand new FRZ86 and a turbo kit for that, or get a used one and go crazy with mods. This forum being concentrated with enthusiasts, has a lot more people who might be down to do something like that. For most of the car community, there is zero chance of spending 10 grand on a 30 year old economy sports coupe, let alone 30 grand.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #647
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
corbic, are your parents by chance cousins? did they like mustangs too?

sTeaL fEnDeRsssSSs
No, but I heard your mom is your sister.

GTFO of this thread junior.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #648
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
wow, at least you managed to spell everything correct in your reply (as well as the Portland thread); good job corbic!
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #649
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
wow, at least you managed to spell everything correct in your reply (as well as the Portland thread); good job corbic!
Makes grammer insult, with shit grammer. Good work junior.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #650
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:

1. "Rest of you" won't be raising paddles at the Barret Jackson any time soon.

2. We've been talking about this for a decade now and all that's happen is the cars have gotten shitter but the price ceiling hasn't moved and inch.
1. This goes without saying because we're into shitty Nissans...but that doesn't mean some of us don't have the money to do so. What's the logic here? You have this strong need to paint everyone that likes SChassis cars as broke. I'm not rich, Corbic, but Im definitely not broke. I could buy the infamous $600 cupholder right now. There's a difference between being broke and being a fucking moron that buys the aforementioned product lol.

2. If you're going to tell me the prices haven't gone up in the last decade you need to hop in your Mustang and mow down a crowd or something to get your head on straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Question for those who have driven an S15..is it a rattle box like the s13 and s14? It looks like it wouldn't be, but it is pretty much an updated s14.

I wanted a supra, but I saw the prices and decided to get an IS300 and make a supra out of that which will cost me less than 20k total. A TT 6spd is and will be the hemi 'cuda of Japan.

YES. I always joke that you have to give credit where credit is due: Nissan is consistent....ly shitty with the rattles lol. I had a SpecS (NA SR20DE) as a daily and it is 100% just another rattlebox.

That being said, the SpecR is triple the price for a clean example. They already go for $15k+ depending on condition and mileage but a super low-mileage SpecS goes for around $5k. I understand the SpecR has added bracing but you can buy all of that stuff for the SpecS.

I've been talking about this a lot lately: is the SpecR THE car to splurge on? Or would you rather spend 1/3 of the price on an unfuckedwith SpecS and have the rest left over to build?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #651
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Makes grammer insult, with shit grammer. Good work junior.
What is "grammer" ?
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #652
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Quote:
YES. I always joke that you have to give credit where credit is due: Nissan is consistent....ly shitty with the rattles lol. I had a SpecS (NA SR20DE) as a daily and it is 100% just another rattlebox.

That being said, the SpecR is triple the price for a clean example. They already go for $15k+ depending on condition and mileage but a super low-mileage SpecS goes for around $5k. I understand the SpecR has added bracing but you can buy all of that stuff for the SpecS.

I've been talking about this a lot lately: is the SpecR THE car to splurge on? Or would you rather spend 1/3 of the price on an unfuckedwith SpecS and have the rest left over to build?

Interesting. And sad lol. I was hoping Nissan added some better interior materials or at least some better sound deadening.

I'd go for the Spec R. There's something very special about a factory-assembled car even if you do great work modifying cars.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #653
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31andrew View Post
What is "grammer" ?
It's whatever swiftkey auto correct says it is.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #654
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
I don’t really get why so many people are hung up on this “s-chassis are rattle boxes” thing. I’ve driven a few S13s that had solid-mounted-everything and bare interiors, and those cars were certainly rattle boxes. But that wasn’t Nissan’s doing, it was their own. My ex had a bone-stock (minus catback) ‘91 coupe, and it had no annoying rattle issues. My coupe has JGS rubber engine and trans mounts, poly subframe bushings, and solid arms in the rear, no headliner, half a carpet... it was fine. Not as quiet as the ex’s stock car, but still far better than several others I’ve driven. The only time I ever had rattle issues was with a cheap short shifter, which I fixed after about a week, or whenever I had an exhaust setup that hit the body or the subframe.

These aren’t luxury cars. Fix your janky shit, lower your expectations, and if need be, invest in some proper sound deadening.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #655
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
I don’t really get why so many people are hung up on this “s-chassis are rattle boxes” thing. I’ve driven a few S13s that had solid-mounted-everything and bare interiors, and those cars were certainly rattle boxes. But that wasn’t Nissan’s doing, it was their own. My ex had a bone-stock (minus catback) ‘91 coupe, and it had no annoying rattle issues. My coupe has JGS rubber engine and trans mounts, poly subframe bushings, and solid arms in the rear, no headliner, half a carpet... it was fine. Not as quiet as the ex’s stock car, but still far better than several others I’ve driven. The only time I ever had rattle issues was with a cheap short shifter, which I fixed after about a week, or whenever I had an exhaust setup that hit the body or the subframe.

These aren’t luxury cars. Fix your janky shit, lower your expectations, and if need be, invest in some proper sound deadening.
We probably have different definitions on what "fine" is. My s14 is is fine for the weekends and short trips. Its not too loud and has full untouched interior, but I just can't drive it everyday. The vibrations, exhaust and road noise just get tiresome.

I daily an IS300 with over 200k and it's very smooth and quiet. I know its not a good comparison, but it just shows the vast differences in build quality between the two cars.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #656
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:

To be clear, it OBVIOUSLY isn't a deal breaker but the cars are noisy as all fuck.

'93 240SX: Garage kept, all seals are good, only had coilovers/RUCA and 16" wheels. Still loud.

'96 180SX: Possibly garage kept. It has coilovers/RUCA and 17" wheels. I replaced the door seals but I still need to get on the door strikers and those little washers for the door hinges. Besides the fact that I keep the backseat down and have an exhaust, the car makes a fuck ton of noise. Most of it comes from the front end.

'89 Silvia: Possibly garage kept. It has coilovers/RUCA and 16" wheels. Probably needs the door strikers/washers as well. Still makes noise.

All of this was to show that the cars don't have to be 'jank' to make noise man, it's just how they are. I don't think anyone is 'hung up on the fact' but we're grumpy old assholes.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #657
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
We probably have different definitions on what "fine" is.
Probably. I daily drove it for 8 years and 150k+ miles before retiring it with well over 300k miles. I regularly drove 4-5 hours one way for work, and made several 1500 mile runs between East TX and CA in it. It was fiiiiine. No earplugs needed, I could even drive without the stereo on, and my passengers had no trouble sleeping. Sure, summers without a/c sucked, but that’s my only complaint. Well, that, and the leaky sunroof. It really ruined sunroof cars for me.

Quote:
I daily an IS300 with over 200k and it's very smooth and quiet. I know its not a good comparison, but it just shows the vast differences in build quality between the two cars.
My current daily is a ‘96 Ranger. It’s got all sorts of awful squeaks and rattles. If it didn’t have a stereo, I wouldn’t have my sanity. I’ve never been spoiled by daily driving a well made, newish car. I suppose I’m comparing my decent 240 to other examples of the same car, and other vehicles of that era, while you’re comparing them to better, newer cars that aren’t 80s/90s economy sports cars. It’s funny, now that I think about it, the last person who told me my car was loud in the cabin daily drives a 2nd gen GS400. If I daily drove a Lexus, I might be inclined to agree with you. Perspective is everything.

Quote:
To be clear, it OBVIOUSLY isn't a deal breaker but the cars are noisy as all fuck.

[words]

All of this was to show that the cars don't have to be 'jank' to make noise man, it's just how they are. I don't think anyone is 'hung up on the fact' but we're grumpy old assholes.
I wasn’t speaking specifically to anyone here. It’s a topic I’ve seen brought up elsewhere recently, as well. I saw it mentioned here and it got me thinking.

It’s entirely possible that I’m seeing things through some slightly rose colored glasses, as it’s been sitting for nearly 5 years and I miss driving it in a big way.
But as far as I can recall, squeaks and rattles were never much of an issue for me in that car. I mean, it was quite rough and noisy on my road, but I live on a pretty fucked up farm road that isn’t really low car friendly. And brick roads were a nightmarish scene of “holy shit is my car falling apart?” But on normal roads or the highway, it was perfectly tolerable.
Squeaks and rattles were certainly a problem in some other s13s I drove, fastbacks especially. Some of those were track/drift cars, others were salvage title shit box street cars. Mine wasn’t the nicest s-chassis around, far from it, but in terms of comfort, it really was heaps better than many others I’ve been around. It’s those other sort of cars I’ve always assumed give the 240 it’s rep as a rattlebox. I just assumed anyone who felt that way hadn’t driven a nice example of one. But, per the two of you, I guess that’s not necessarily the case.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #658
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Probably. I daily drove it for 8 years and 150k+ miles before retiring it with well over 300k miles. I regularly drove 4-5 hours one way for work, and made several 1500 mile runs between East TX and CA in it. It was fiiiiine. No earplugs needed, I could even drive without the stereo on, and my passengers had no trouble sleeping. Sure, summers without a/c sucked, but that’s my only complaint. Well, that, and the leaky sunroof. It really ruined sunroof cars for me.

My current daily is a ‘96 Ranger. It’s got all sorts of awful squeaks and rattles. If it didn’t have a stereo, I wouldn’t have my sanity. I’ve never been spoiled by daily driving a well made, newish car. I suppose I’m comparing my decent 240 to other examples of the same car, and other vehicles of that era, while you’re comparing them to better, newer cars that aren’t 80s/90s economy sports cars. It’s funny, now that I think about it, the last person who told me my car was loud in the cabin daily drives a 2nd gen GS400. If I daily drove a Lexus, I might be inclined to agree with you. Perspective is everything.

I wasn’t speaking specifically to anyone here. It’s a topic I’ve seen brought up elsewhere recently, as well. I saw it mentioned here and it got me thinking.

It’s entirely possible that I’m seeing things through some slightly rose colored glasses, as it’s been sitting for nearly 5 years and I miss driving it in a big way.
But as far as I can recall, squeaks and rattles were never much of an issue for me in that car. I mean, it was quite rough and noisy on my road, but I live on a pretty fucked up farm road that isn’t really low car friendly. And brick roads were a nightmarish scene of “holy shit is my car falling apart?” But on normal roads or the highway, it was perfectly tolerable.
Squeaks and rattles were certainly a problem in some other s13s I drove, fastbacks especially. Some of those were track/drift cars, others were salvage title shit box street cars. Mine wasn’t the nicest s-chassis around, far from it, but in terms of comfort, it really was heaps better than many others I’ve been around. It’s those other sort of cars I’ve always assumed give the 240 it’s rep as a rattlebox. I just assumed anyone who felt that way hadn’t driven a nice example of one. But, per the two of you, I guess that’s not necessarily the case.
Driving a lexus fucked me all up. The smoothness of the inline 6 and the interior of the lexus made the 240 seem like I was driving a JGTC GT500 car lmao
Old 02-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #659
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:

Well, that, and the leaky sunroof. It really ruined sunroof cars for me.

(More words.)
Yeah. It's not a complaint so much as an accepted 'comes-with-the-territory' fact. I was trying to say that a lot of the cars I buy have had a good life and they still make noise. The funny thing is that I can say with 100% honesty that I've NEVER had an issue with a leaky sunroof lol. Weird as fuck since it's considered the 'norm'...but same goes for loud ass rattles, I suppose.

I spent all day driving my Silvia. 1hr+ to Mooneyes, then another 45min+ to UpGarage. I took the low roads (more bumps) to avoid tolls. The car actually seems to make LESS noise now that it's planted on coilovers. Go figure. The wind noise still gets in but that's what we all get for having cool-guy frameless doors lol.

Quote:
Driving a lexus fucked me all up. The smoothness of the inline 6 and the interior of the lexus made the 240 seem like I was driving a JGTC GT500 car lmao
DUUUUDE. YES. LOL. A buddy of mine here had GS and when I would ride in it I'd find myself questioning my life choices hahahah. Before that, in the US, a close friend had a BMW and that shit felt like an airplane. If I parted out my SChassis cars then sold the stock cars for the 'going-rate' I could easily afford something like that...but I'm still stupid and still love pieces of shit.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #660
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yeah. It's not a complaint so much as an accepted 'comes-with-the-territory' fact. I was trying to say that a lot of the cars I buy have had a good life and they still make noise. The funny thing is that I can say with 100% honesty that I've NEVER had an issue with a leaky sunroof lol. Weird as fuck since it's considered the 'norm'...but same goes for loud ass rattles, I suppose.

I spent all day driving my Silvia. 1hr+ to Mooneyes, then another 45min+ to UpGarage. I took the low roads (more bumps) to avoid tolls. The car actually seems to make LESS noise now that it's planted on coilovers. Go figure. The wind noise still gets in but that's what we all get for having cool-guy frameless doors lol.

DUUUUDE. YES. LOL. A buddy of mine here had GS and when I would ride in it I'd find myself questioning my life choices hahahah. Before that, in the US, a close friend had a BMW and that shit felt like an airplane. If I parted out my SChassis cars then sold the stock cars for the 'going-rate' I could easily afford something like that...but I'm still stupid and still love pieces of shit.
I just keep wondering how different things would have been if I put all the money into the IS instead of the 240. The 240 is fun but it comes at the expense of comfort(lightweight ftw). We'll see how the IS is with about 500whp. Seems like it would be a dream, but who knows it may still feel like a pig. Maybe someone with some experience can chime in.