Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
dustin_rps13

Trader Rating: (0)
dustin_rps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR S13 SR20DE Won't Rev Past ~3500 RPM

First post to Zilvia, although I've used the forum itself a lot, but anyways...

I have a late model S13 SR20DE, that's right, DE, and it's bone stock besides the Wiring Specialties harness that I got for it. The motor is in a '86 200SX S12. I have an issue with the motor sounding like it's bouncing off rev limiter at roughly 3500 RPM, and at first, I thought it was a MAF issue, but after switching through 3 different MAF's, I'm starting to doubt that's the problem. I thought then maybe it was my TPS, I had a brand new OE one in the box, so I slapped it one there, adjusted it to correct voltage, and still the same issue. With it being a 'V6' SR ECU, I'm really not sure if these flash codes or not like the DET's do. There's not a crazy amount of info on the motors for me to dig into.

So, any input from you guys???
Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Taisan_Advan

Taisan_Advan is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same issue when i had KA24. I couldn't rev past like 3000-3500rpm and it would bounce off the limiter an shake violently. I replaced MAF and TPS and i had 0 success, but changing the knock sensor did the trick.
Taisan_Advan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should be able to pull codes off of the ECU just like the turbocharged variant.

http://www.se-r.net/engine/ecu_codes.html

The S14 FSM should cover pretty much anything mechanical on your engine. It's the same just no turbo.

as far as wiring goes for the chassis, https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...s12_manual.pdf should take care of it.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
dustin_rps13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
You should be able to pull codes off of the ECU just like the turbocharged variant.
That's the thing, this 'V6' DE ECU, doesn't have the option to turn a screw and read diagnostic codes right off of the flashing LED. And the S12 Chassis doesn't have a 'Check Engine' light on the dash at all 😂 now, the WS harness does have a Consult port on it, but don't you have to have a datascan tool and the program to read the codes that way?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up

Like this one?

https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detai...CU/PA19195938/

That's a tough one... maybe start troubleshooting basic issues.

knock sensor would be a good place to start like Taisan said. check the mini harness to it to make sure it isnt damaged.

check/adjust your TPS

good luck...
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #6
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
S13 SR20DE should have ECU #60 (Manual trans.) or #61 (Automatic trans.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
dustin_rps13

So I have Nissan Consult I on my laptop for this ECU, because it is the 'V6' one. Not the '60' or '61'. It did end up being a MAF issue that was going in and out intermittently, which is really odd. Never heard of that before, so I got a new MAF. But I'm afraid that didn't completely solve my issues. I can now rev past the 3500rom mark, but now the car is running completely lean. So I'm guessing maybe either unmetered air is getting in somewhere (which I still haven't been able to find a place where it could be leaking in from), or I may be having an IACV issue possibly.

If you guys have anymore input on that subject, let me know please