Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
Smashyourglass

Trader Rating: (0)
Smashyourglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cam lobe wear

Hey all new to the SR game just bought a decently built project car and just got the engine out. I am noticing some strange wear on the hks camshafts, it doesn?t appear to be wearing evenly and a lot of the coating appears to be missing. it?s not scarred very heavily but it?s definitely not as smooth in some areas as others as I?m sure you can see in the pictures. is this going to be in oiling issue from the squirter?s, an oil change frequency issue, or all of the above? In your opinion how bad is the rest of the engine going to look from this and are these cams at all salvageable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smashyourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Closer detailed pictures would help here,

Pull the camshaft and see the condition of the rocker arms...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
check if that rocker shim is still present...you can also check oil flow with cranking while valve cover is off
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
So the hardened coating is gone on cylinder 1 and 3 intake side

Check shim/clearances. Those cams are borderline useless
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Smashyourglass

Yea it?s not looking ideal. I pulled the pan off to find the oil pickup screen was broken off the tube. Must have sucked s**t up and clogged a squirter. I?m praying that?s not the only place that was starved. Wishful thinking I know. Will know more once I pull it apart more tonight. Anybody got some hks 264 stage three cams? Lol
Hopefully the rockers aren?t toast. Not very hopeful on that

Old 06-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
PS remove the shitty ass rocker stoppers. Anyone who says they built an engine and put those in have no fucking clue what they are doing. That's a good way to destroy pistons and valves vs just losing a rocker or shim

Those cams are whipped. I will also be checking the cam caps and bearings. If you had no pickup or broken screen, low oil pressure to the head will cause this issue as well. Or with no screen, a bunch of FOD just whipped the cams and various other bearings throughout the engine

Full tear down.....
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
That motor ran with no oil pressure.... its fucked...needs a 100% dissasembly. No if ands or buts....
Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Smashyourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
That motor ran with no oil pressure.... its fucked...needs a 100% dissasembly. No if ands or buts....

I was pulling apart for a full teardown anyways so it?s not any extra work. The cost however is much more extra than I was hoping. The pickup was still on, just the screen was broken off of it. I mean, if it had no oil pressure wouldn?t we think all lobes would appear like this, not so localized? Correct me if I?m out to lunch.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
S14rebuild
BANNED

Take a sample of the oil send it out or analysis...ull get your answer on motor condition/health and that will point u in the right direction.

I see at minimum full rebuild and possiable new head depending on the cam cap wear marks..
Old 06-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
This is why if I went to do a rebuild, I would Only rebuild an engine that was healthy and been running for 100-200k miles.

If it ran fine, stock, and you rebuild before it has any issues, the chance of success is very high as long as you keep up with the corrections TSB bullshit (pickup oil tube issue is an old one) and avoid the machine shop and machine work.

If it ever ran into mechanical issues, lack of oil pressure for example, or odd wear, I would suspect that no matter what I do, it will always have that issue.
Now, that might not be true. However it saves me a LOT of headache and time trying to make the mistake of learning whether it is true or not.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
Smashyourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
This is why if I went to do a rebuild, I would Only rebuild an engine that was healthy and been running for 100-200k miles.

If it ran fine, stock, and you rebuild before it has any issues, the chance of success is very high as long as you keep up with the corrections TSB bullshit (pickup oil tube issue is an old one) and avoid the machine shop and machine work.

If it ever ran into mechanical issues, lack of oil pressure for example, or odd wear, I would suspect that no matter what I do, it will always have that issue.
Now, that might not be true. However it saves me a LOT of headache and time trying to make the mistake of learning whether it is true or not.

That?s fair, it was a good deal for me so I expected to inherit some issues. Lots of expensive parts installed, only 75k miles on the body. Engine swapped from an s13 so mileage unknown. Hks cams- now roasted lol, dual valve spring set forged internals, upgraded sway bars GReddy full turbo kit. List goes on. Picked it up for 4K from a buddy who needed cash with a kid On the way, took it on as a project car as the shitty pigtailed maf fried the chipped ecu. Was hoping harness issues were the extent of my problems but I?m not afraid to do things properly. If I have to source another motor I?ll source another motor. Not new to rebuilds but I always reach out to the communities that frequent these builds as I?m unfamiliar with common issues surrounding engines I?ve never built myself. I appreciate your input

Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #12
Smashyourglass

Update

Got the cams out, looking pretty good considering. Although I only had about 3 mins to look it over before baby woke up so will head out later tonight and continue to assess the damage in the bottom end. Let me know what ya think

Old 06-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Nothing appears to be damaged (cam journals), however you’re valve lash was incorrect on cylinders. That is why you see uneven wear on the cams. I would mic the cam journals and see if there is a large discrepancy between the worn area and non. It “may” be salvageable.

Just ensure the shin heights are correct side to side on the rockers(individual ones).
Old 06-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
Smashyourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Nothing appears to be damaged (cam journals), however you?re valve lash was incorrect on cylinders. That is why you see uneven wear on the cams. I would mic the cam journals and see if there is a large discrepancy between the worn area and non. It ?may? be salvageable.

Just ensure the shin heights are correct side to side on the rockers(individual ones).

I appreciate the insight. I will have the head and block st the machine shop next week for a hot tank and see if they can salvage the cams. But I will definitely be on the lookout for this now as I don?t need this happening. It looks like I will need intake new rockers tho, they?re pretty grooved

Old 06-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #15
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
People have gotten away with polishing them. You’d need thicker shims to accommodate any “machining”. Personally, I’d replace them with new ones and have the dual guide conversion done. Less chance of rockers kicking off at high RPM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
Smashyourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
People have gotten away with polishing them. You?d need thicker shims to accommodate any ?machining?. Personally, I?d replace them with new ones and have the dual guide conversion done. Less chance of rockers kicking off at high RPM.

I was just reading about that conversion, what?s the deal with that, seems simple enough however isn?t there a benefit in being able to adjust the valve lash?

Old 06-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashyourglass View Post
I was just reading about that conversion, what?s the deal with that, seems simple enough however isn?t there a benefit in being able to adjust the valve lash?

You can still set valve lash with dual guide shims if you order the additional guides in the right thickness or machine them to suit.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote