Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #31
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Beautiful car; would love an S15 but have to wait for the 25 year law to take effect on those.

That flywheel really only weighs a little under 19 LBS? Never would have guessed. Why not use the 350Z/Supra transmission instead?

Now, I must ask, what the heck is 'Iron Bru'? Is that like orange soda?
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chopaholic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Now, I must ask, what the heck is 'Iron Bru'? Is that like orange soda?
Irn Bru, is the drink of Scotland, not like Orange Soda, it has a lot more Scotland in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOc5MasCPU
Chopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #33
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

A small update as I have been doing quite a bit of travelling with work.

I re-fitted the engine into the car, again running into more issues, not only did I damage some of my fancy purple paint work but I found the gearbox tunnel in need of plenty more sledge hammer massaging.

After having it in and out a few times and getting very frustrated I decided to leave it out until I solve some of the clearance issues, pushing the engine to the side of the garage got me thinking how I was maybe losing my way with the colours of the car a little, there was currently a little too much going on and with the damage to the purple I thought it was now or never. So I got to work.

I laid this down at 23:30 last night using the spare paint from doing the car, looking much better and thankfully didn't cost £6k

Built the rest back onto it today as I needed to push the car back outside, when it came out into the light I felt really happy about it, much cleaner looking and I am not worried about colours for painting other bits in now.

The engine will be going back in for the final time soon (fingers crossed), I have just had some packages arrive with all my wiring to start making the custom wiring loom.

Got quite a heavy work schedule so the next update may take a few weeks.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #34
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Not quite as big an update as I would have hoped for, as I have been in France a bit for work and haven't had much time, I am also waiting on more parts arriving which can be frustrating as it holds me back quite a lot, the post system where I get stuff delivered to is horrific which doesn't help.

Anyway, the biggest killer of Holset turbo's is not having a large enough oil drain, I spent hours researching options and was very much put off with using AN12 fittings with just now restrictive they are, also I wanted something to be heat resistant that met up to the stock sump drain. I got myself some 5mm stainless steel and a length of 22mm stainless tube and set about making one from scratch. I ain't no decent welder, my hand isnt steady enough but I think it came out okay.

Now I have got most of the stuff modified and fitting correctly I whipped off both manifolds, oil filter, mounts and water system to give the engine a slight tidy up, it probably wouldn't be noticed in the car but when I was this deep with the engine on a tyre it would be silly not to.

Got the scrubbing brush out and gave it a clean down.

To try and keep the OEM kind of look I went for the black again, brushed on some engine enamel.

Gave the alternator, starter and water pump a very quick blast of silver before building it back up again.

Got myself a nice braided line for the turbo feed which is a proper good fit, just waiting on the block adapter to arrive now.

Excuse the rocker covers, I am still deciding what I am going to do with them paint wise to compliment the engine bay.

The next few weeks are probably going to be a write off due to working commitments, but hopefully that will give all my bits time to arrive.

Thanks for looking.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #35
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
very nice build! love the red on the s15! can you tell me where you got th scirocco radiator? i like the idea of that!
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #36
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar F View Post
very nice build! love the red on the s15! can you tell me where you got th scirocco radiator? i like the idea of that!
Cheers man, I just got it from eBay UK, although as seen in my latest post, it doesn't suit my needs unfortunately
Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #37
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

A quick update.

I finally received some bits I had been waiting on, drill bits, a 1/2NPT Tap, 1/2NPT > 10AN fittings and 10AN 90 degree fittings to name a few, all of this was in aid of coilpacks, you can't run coil on plug coilpacks in a 1jz/2jz with the stock cross over pipe, I decided I would bite the bullet and get working on a catch can setup, fairly easy on a 1JZ as the holes are already there, they just need opening up with the drill and tapped.

Of course, the old crossover pipe holes are now no good, I drilled the old fittings out and set about welding them up.

Now to make them look pretty

Fitted my Yaris coilpacks

And added the 1/2NPT fittings with the AN10 90's which look really smart.

The engine looks really great now with this colour scheme, makes it look VERY clean.

After a weird and wonderful once in a life time lay in on a Sunday I got up mid afternoon and set about doing this, it fitted much better this time after massaging the gearbox tunnel more, its still tight but a little more adjusting should see it perfect, of course, now I have it back in there is more issues, look how close that wastegate is to the brake booster!!!!

More issues means probably more waiting for parts unfortunately, in the mean time I will be trying to fabricate a gearbox bracket and also trying to work out some more of my stand-alone wiring, more to come :grinning:
Old 08-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #38
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

It has been a busy week for me, I set about making some form of gearbox mount to hold the rather large BMW gearbox up, I was a little worried about making it off centre so I done lots of measuring to make sure it was going to work. I ain't no perfect welder but with some 40mm wide 3mm thick box section it is hard to go wrong.

Started out by cutting some 3mm plate to match the gearbox face, with a shit angle grinder and not amazing cutting discs this was quite the challenge, was waiting for a snapped blade to smash me in the face.

Mocked up some box section to get the heights roughly right, if anyone has seen below an Sbody, one side sits 40mm higher than the other.

I forgot to take many pictures in between, but I eventually got to the stage of having it sitting right with some OEM BMW 1 series gearbox bushes, I threw some cheap black paint on it all.

Checked the angle, 89.40 degrees, very happy with that.

Got back to the bathroom to wash myself and being lost in working on the car all day hadn't even noticed I had burnt all my arm with the welder by wearing a t-shirt.

Added some length to the gear linkage and installed it, which meant I could actually feel what the shifter was like.

Done a test fit of the radiator, it looks fantastic but unfortunately it doesn't work with the setup as I want to keep the viscous fan, unsure what to do now, cut the slam panel and buy an SR20 radiator, or try and customise some form of swirl pot and change the angle the radiator points at.

In my last post we talked about an issue with the brake booster being mega close to the wastegate, lots of people told me about moving the wastegate and different ideas, unfortunately with the twin scroll setup it isn't quite that easy so I went for a different solution, the GKTech brake booster delete kit, also got a clutch cylinder adaptor kit too for goods measure. Great service from GKTech, ordered 6 days ago from OZ, delivered yesterday. The pictures show the bottle on the kit, but I will be using the remote reservoir option to mount the reservoir a little further into the corner.

And lastly, a few pictures of the car sitting in the garage looking pretty damn cool from a few feet away.

Off for a few weeks working so more when I come back.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #39
puz pounda

puz pounda is an unknown quantity at this point
loving the way it's coming out please keep us updated
puz pounda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #40
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
awesome project! keep up the good work!
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #41
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Such a proper build, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #42
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaholic View Post
Irn Bru, is the drink of Scotland, not like Orange Soda, it has a lot more Scotland in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOc5MasCPU
You could always sen some stateside to really see what you're talking about

Thing looks great being all red again. Is that AJ4 paint code or what?

Please keep updating!
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #43
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
You could always sen some stateside to really see what you're talking about

Thing looks great being all red again. Is that AJ4 paint code or what?

Please keep updating!
Thanks man.

The colour is actually Ferrari Rosso Corsa red.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #44
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

I have been neglecting this slightly, life once again getting in the way and stealing all my time. But I do have an update!!!

Leading on from above, heat is a massive thing when you have the turbo on the same side as the fluids, so in a battle to try and stop my brake/clutch fluid from boiling I have made a custom bottle which mounts in a position where the bonnet closes, maintaining some gravity so the fluid can still get to the cylinders. A bit shit not being able to see the level of fluid but should hopefully work a treat. My TIG work is still not as neat as I would like, but its welded and I am learning every time I work with any aluminium.

Next challenge, radiator, from previous posts you may have seen that my fancy under slam panel radiator was just not cutting it if I wanted to run the viscous fan (A must on JZ swapped Sbody) so I had to do the horrible horrible job of cutting a nice freshly painted slam panel to make some space, cutting up an S15 aint cool for anyone who is wondering. I still need to get some rubber edging to finish it and protect the radiator from the edges.

Going back to the stock water neck meant I needed to do a little bit of modification, the holset does not require a water feed, so the TIG was out again, cut the pipe off, made a little blank with 5mm aluminium and then welded the blank in.

This is the part I have been dreading, wiring, I can do it, but sometimes with lots of shit going on it gets confusing, so I have been taking my time, double and triple checking to make sure everything is in the right order. It still is not finished, but I have made the coilpack loom, pinned up the ECU plugs with all the wiring and will soon be starting to terminate all the brand new connectors to the engine. Been using the HPA videos online for some guidance, really love how some of the crimps and glue lined heat shrink have turned out.

Managed to grab these for a total steal on eBay, couldn't quite believe I was the only bidder on them. Wilwood Calipers, DB Conversion adapters, 330 discs and braided lines.

And last but not least, a shout out to the local Indian for pretty much keeping me alive every time I am in the workshop.

I have just ordered all my exhaust parts, new stainless steel filler rods and a few silly sensors needed to pretty much make everything work, more updates with this soon, more than likely continue the wiring and fit the brakes this weekend coming.

Cheers for looking.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:30 AM   #45
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Oh boy.... those photos are huge AF.

Hard to focus on the progress.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #46
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
Oh boy.... those photos are huge AF.

Hard to focus on the progress.
Damn, will re-size when I am on my PC. Weird they are only that size on Zilvia.