Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
midnight_rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 AC expansion valve

what is needed to change the expansion valve in a 95 s14? what all needs to be removed?
midnight_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Witness
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Witness is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I was told all you do is drop your glove box and its in the condenser, me and a buddy just tore apart a 240 and i could not find that bitch!! just ended up making a mess and bending ac lines guess im stupid....

but i also have the same question as you, till then im fucked and have to deal with 106 degree weather with no ac.
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The expansion valve is located within the evaporator case. However, the S14 went through various changes with A/C components, some were not replaceable without swapping the entire core.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

ok. so does the whole dash need to be removed in order to replace or take out the evap assembly?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
i would guess yes
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just did the TEV on my 95 S14, you do not need to remove the dash but it does make it a bit easier. You have to remove the entire evap box from the inside of the car, disconnect the two lines at the firewall in the engine bay, drop the glove box and then just unbolt the evap box and pull it down/out. Once the box is out you just take it apart to reveal the TEV, make sure u get new orings and change them now while its out.

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

awesome. thats what i needed to know.

the problem im having is when i charge my AC system after a vaccum my manifold gauges read over 35psi which is overfill. seems like freon is getting stuck somewhere in the lines and starts to leak from the big fitting on the evap. could this be the exspansion valve getting stuck closed?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
What he said, drop the glovebox. Nothing else needs to be removed. It's literally a 2 minute job.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
RedSX240a97

Trader Rating: (0)
RedSX240a97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pics for 95/96 expansion valve/evaporator

For anyone still interested. In 95/96 S14 models you have to disconnect the high and low pressure lines inside the engine bay. Remove the glovebox.Then remove 4 bolts on the sides and under the evaporator case. If you pull down and out, the whole box should slide out from under the dash. Watch out for refrigerant oil, so tip the box down. The case is held together by ~6 smaller screws and some insulating tape. In my vehicle there was also some sticky insulation covering the expansion valve. Unfortunately, they glued the expansion valve connector to the evaporator's low pressure line so it was near impossible to remove. I ended up getting it off, but noticed a tiny crack in the otherside of the evaporator (I guess this was why my AC pressures were off). $69 on ebay and I've got another evap on the way (not many left out there) will add links to pics soon.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/yfswQK5

Last edited by RedSX240a97; 06-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Pics
RedSX240a97 is offline   Reply With Quote