Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #23011
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just put oil in it and start the damn thing. Check oil pressure at idle when warmed up.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #23012
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I appreciate your feedback.

Measuring it with a torque wrench yielded these results.

With the conditions described above, and the longblock connected to the alternator, clutch fan, power steering ( AC compressor not installed), my initial torque to get it moving was about 25 ft-lb. Once moving, I had it rotating at 10 ft-lb and then it would jump to about 20 ft-lb. I'll try it again later just to make sure its not binding up or catching on something.

I'm thinking that i most likely scraped the fan shroud with my torque wrench.
None of that means jack shit, because of all the things you described that are still connected. Lots of things affect this, like oil weight, temp, condition and tension of belts (including timing), valves and cams and springs and rings and.... everything.

They don't have this spec for this engine, and if they do it doesn't matter, what are you worried about happening in it?

Obviously the motor turns over fine, go start it. If you're worried, disconnect the coil pack(s), and crank it until the oil light goes out, which indicates the bearings are pressurized and there isn't even metal to metal contact in the engine. Then reconnect and start it.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #23013
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Will a 30" diameter tire fit in the rear of a 95 240sx

I see some 265/60/18 tires and I just wonder
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #23014
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
ugh sorry post
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #23015
vasponger

vasponger is on the path to ruinvasponger is on the path to ruin
'95 sunroof question.. its not off track or leaking or broken trim

my sunroof loves to open, tilt and slide, but it doesnt like to close half the time. I bought a used switch. First try it worked. Couple days later, wouldnt close. Manually close with the allen, then a couple minutes later the switch works. Ive used a paperclip to close it before thinking it was the switch, but that wasnt working today either.
How can i tell if its a wiring/power problem or would it be the motor.

My door locks seem weak as well if thats related.
vasponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #23016
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasponger View Post
'95 sunroof question.. its not off track or leaking or broken trim

my sunroof loves to open, tilt and slide, but it doesnt like to close half the time. I bought a used switch. First try it worked. Couple days later, wouldnt close. Manually close with the allen, then a couple minutes later the switch works. Ive used a paperclip to close it before thinking it was the switch, but that wasnt working today either.
How can i tell if its a wiring/power problem or would it be the motor.

My door locks seem weak as well if thats related.
take a power probe. connect to the power wire that goes to the motor. turn the key to accessory and push the switch. it you have 12v at the wire, but the motor aint working, then the motor is bad. (assuming that the ground wire is also good)

if you do NOT have 12v when you press the button, use the power probe to feed 12v to the motor, and see if it operates properly, then troubleshoot the switch/button

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #23017
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
File this under "Questions I think I know the answers to but asking on FB or making new threads would be a bad idea"

Assembling the rotating assembly. Reused the cylinder 4 rod bearing and looking back on it, I want to replace it. Cylinders are honed and new rings are gapped, head and oil pan are still off. Is it kosher to pop the piston back out and reuse the rings just to change the rod bearings?

I know I can put the piston at BDC and change rod bearings without it leaving the block but it just has me curious. I'm generally overcautious with internals (was pretty drunk when negligently installing a scored bearing in a bad mood - hence this post) and not sure if the rings are conformed or anything after sitting in the block for a while.
Thursday7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #23018
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
File this under "Questions I think I know the answers to but asking on FB or making new threads would be a bad idea"

Assembling the rotating assembly. Reused the cylinder 4 rod bearing and looking back on it, I want to replace it. Cylinders are honed and new rings are gapped, head and oil pan are still off. Is it kosher to pop the piston back out and reuse the rings just to change the rod bearings?

I know I can put the piston at BDC and change rod bearings without it leaving the block but it just has me curious. I'm generally overcautious with internals (was pretty drunk when negligently installing a scored bearing in a bad mood - hence this post) and not sure if the rings are conformed or anything after sitting in the block for a while.
if the head is still off, it should be cake. i highly recommend using a tool like this (you must order the right size tool for your bore size)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...IaArizEALw_wcB

Quote:
Old 01-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #23019
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
if the head is still off, it should be cake. i highly recommend using a tool like this (you must order the right size tool for your bore size)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...IaArizEALw_wcB
Not sure if you read my question right, but that happens to me a lot as I digress and get wordy.

To keep it short, I have that tool and already assembled the rotating assembly. Im wondering if its ok to disassemble it and reuse the rings and not rehone because I drunkenly decided to reuse a rod bearing and now regret it.
Thursday7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #23020
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Not sure if you read my question right, but that happens to me a lot as I digress and get wordy.

To keep it short, I have that tool and already assembled the rotating assembly. Im wondering if its ok to disassemble it and reuse the rings and not rehone because I drunkenly decided to reuse a rod bearing and now regret it.
Should be no problem at all
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:39 AM   #23021
Presto
Leaky Injector

Presto is an unknown quantity at this point
S13 Ka24e charcoal canister was deleted by previous owner

Can I just cap the vent/evap line from the gas tank and use an s14 gas cap?

This would be deleting the check valve completely, capping the evap hose, and substituting the s14 gas cap as a two way for pressure release and vacuum

Last edited by Presto; 01-31-2020 at 03:35 AM..
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:43 AM   #23022
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
U can delete the line all thevway back to the tank nnbut a breather on the line.....
Old 01-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #23023
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone here have experience with the gktech Bolt-on/slip-on rack spacer combo on an S13?

I have an s13 with s14 knuckles and I'm wondering if I will run out of adjustment threads for the tie rod ends if I have to cut the rods. I'm only about to start drifting, would 2 slip on spacers be better?
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #23024
vasponger

vasponger is on the path to ruinvasponger is on the path to ruin
My speedo stopped working while on the highway. If I push the trip reset button and hold it in it works. Speedo borked?
vasponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #23025
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Any tips on repairing cracked OEM Navan sideskirts near where it meets the fender in the rear?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #23026
S14rebuild
BANNED

Amazon, plastic weld kit.... take ur time melt the peices properly. Just some bumper plasitc filler, 80grit, 180, 320, 500, primer, paint color, clear...done
Old 02-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #23027
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Anyone here have experience with the gktech Bolt-on/slip-on rack spacer combo on an S13?

I have an s13 with s14 knuckles and I'm wondering if I will run out of adjustment threads for the tie rod ends if I have to cut the rods. I'm only about to start drifting, would 2 slip on spacers be better?
ONE slip on spacer only. I think you would not have enough thread available if you stacked 2 of them.

FYI the pbm inner tie rods have the spacer built in. They also come in multiple lengths so you can just order the size you need

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ring/ITRS.html

Quote:
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #23028
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
ONE slip on spacer only. I think you would not have enough thread available if you stacked 2 of them.

FYI the pbm inner tie rods have the spacer built in. They also come in multiple lengths so you can just order the size you need

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ring/ITRS.html
By 2 slip ons I meant 1 per side. As opposed to 1 slip on/1 bolt on.

Thanks
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #23029
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

Bolt on rack spacer goes on passenger side, slip-on on the driver side. Don't combine the two it's pointless (ie slip on rack spacers on to of bolt ons).

You shouldn't run out of threads, i've done it on multiple cars. Just make sure err on the side of too long first instead of cutting them too short the first time then you need new tie rods.

Quote:
By 2 slip ons I meant 1 per side. As opposed to 1 slip on/1 bolt on.
There's no reason to do this. The rack won't physically travel far enough to use more than the prescribed combination. (Bolt on passenger side/slip on driver side)
If you cycle the rack to lock each direction with nothing bolted to it you will see that the additional travel available is exactly the thickness of those spacers. The passenger side travels further into the rack housing thus the "longer" bolt on spacer is used on that side.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #23030
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
U can delete the line all thevway back to the tank nnbut a breather on the line.....
Does that expose the gas tank to the atmosphere and moisture where rust can happen
Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #23031
Presto
Leaky Injector

Would a fuel filler neck from sr20det s13 fit a ka24e s13?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #23032
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
ummmm.

so this "sr20det s13".

is it an imported JDM silvia or 180sx?

or is it a usdm s13 that has a sr20det swapped into it?

Quote:
Old 02-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #23033
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Does that expose the gas tank to the atmosphere and moisture where rust can happen
A fuel filler neck isnt sealed 100% shut either... it allows atmosphere and moisture in aswell
Old 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #23034
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
An s13 is an s13.......... weither its usdm, jdm, Australian, etc..

Hatches are the same

Coupes are the same
Old 02-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #23035
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
An s13 is an s13.......... weither its usdm, jdm, Australian, etc..

Hatches are the same

Coupes are the same
Ohhhh alright, also if I remove small rust with a wire brush do I need to coat the metal with anything after or is it just like once I brush off the rust I’m good to leave the shiny metal?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #23036
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Ohhhh alright, also if I remove small rust with a wire brush do I need to coat the metal with anything after or is it just like once I brush off the rust I’m good to leave the shiny metal?
just pee on it. . . .

seriously you have to ask this question?

yes. you should coat (primer and paint) any exposed metal, or it will corrode.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #23037
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
just pee on it. . . .

seriously you have to ask this question?

yes. you should coat (primer and paint) any exposed metal, or it will corrode.
What’s wrong with you people hating on newbies so annoying thx anyways
Old 02-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #23038
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
What’s wrong with you people hating on newbies so annoying thx anyways
1: you've been here a year
2: gasoline goes in the gas tank, not in your mouth
3: rust is a thing that exists

Quote:
Old 02-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #23039
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
1: you've been here a year
2: gasoline goes in the gas tank, not in your mouth
3: rust is a thing that exists
I’ve been here a year but I’ve never touched car paint, can I just spray rustoleum primer on it
Old 02-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #23040
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
ummmm.

so this "sr20det s13".

is it an imported JDM silvia or 180sx?

or is it a usdm s13 that has a sr20det swapped into it?
It’s off of a Japanese 180sx for my 240sx coupe but “s14 rebuild” is right all the s13 chassis same thing