Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:00 AM   #61
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jyttah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for another update.
I had a single day where i went to look at the car. This time i had to do something different.

My friend who are creating the oilpan for me, asked me if i can figure out how much space there is for a intake and exhaust manifold as he would like to design these. So i had to figure out how to get these measurements. The car is 360km away from him, so its not possible for him to go and do the measurements himself.

After a LOT of research, i found a solution. My friend is a technical designer among other things, so if i could create the enginebay digitally, he can work with that. So the solution is a 3D scanner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B86oz2unQtz/

So now he can create everyting without even getting his hands dirty :P
Next stop, is to 3D scan the CA18DET engine.

I also had an extra instrumentcluster. Here i thought about adding the Defi Advance ZD into. But after a lot of playing around, its not possible due to the 2 buttons on it.
Instead i wanted to create a Carbon face to make it a bit more exclusive. The face will be made of only 2 layers of carbonfiber cloth - wich means its only around 0.4mm thick! Perfect for this application.

My mechanic took the valves out of the head, and they look pretty good. No need to change anything here

Last but not least, I have to do some fiberglass work, so we can get the car ready for paint.
The rear valances have to be extended around 2-11mm to follow the OEM lines and the right overfender had to be shortened 2mm in the end.
Nothing a bit of fiberglass cant handle :P

Jyttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #62
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Was that scanned with an xbox Kinnect? Ive had some success with that in the past. keep us posted with the CAD screenshots.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #63
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Was that scanned with an xbox Kinnect? Ive had some success with that in the past. keep us posted with the CAD screenshots.
Yes. it was made with the Kinect sensor
Im planning to do some 3d scanning of multiple parts for the car so i have them for future use
Old 02-28-2020, 03:44 AM   #64
Jens

Jens is an unknown quantity at this point
Awsome build Topic man! Personally I'm not a big fan of the widebody. But with the attention to detail its pretty cool man! Keep up the good work.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #65
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
Awsome build Topic man! Personally I'm not a big fan of the widebody. But with the attention to detail its pretty cool man! Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I didnt like the widebody at first, but after ive been looking at it for quote some time, i actually like it as it makes the car look lower and more aggressive
Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #66
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I guess the devil is in the details.
I have a spare instrument cluster, so i wanted to install my Defi Advance ZD instead of the rpm. But after some looking around, i noticed its not possible as i couldnt access the bottoms. So i wanted to do something else.

Ive previous been working with carbonfiber, i figured it could be cool to have inside the instrument cluster.

I started with a small piece of carbon i had laying around. As its only 2 layers of carbon cloth, its very thin. but its perfect for this application because we dont need any strength.

I cut it down and sanded it so it would fit inside the instrumentcluster.

And remember, ALWAYS use a mask when cutting or sanding carbon fiber.

After all the cutting and sanding it was washed to remove the dust. Then its time for some epoxy. Here i can give it some extra color/glitter. and it gives me the possibility to wetsand it so it gets extremely glossy.

I also painted the surrounding plastic as previous owner painted it purple, so i found some mat black that fits the whole theme.
Together with the carbon, it looks really good and clean.

It all went pretty well, so i decided to make some more.

Next stop is to cut out for all the gauges.
This part sounds easy, but as the piece is very thin, and the holes are small an narrow, it makes it very difficult - Please excuse the rough cuts, I still havent sanded all the edges yet.

I have these cutouts leftover that i dont know what to use them for. Does anyone have any idea?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #67
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

So... Im sure that im not the only one going crazy in this lockdown.
I was supposed to start in an aviation-related company just before all this happend, so it has been postponed to an unknown date.
This is giving me WAY to much time on my hands.
Its good but its also bad!

So i went to look at a another S13.
The car is without danish tax as its been importet from UK about 10 years ago.
It since have been sitting in a barn, so we can call this a barnfind

The engine was build by JAPengines.co.uk and afaik it have Wiseco pistons and some other goodies.
The car itself have very little rust, but somebody thought it would be funny to airbrush the whole freaking car!!! On top of that, it have some very 2000's bodykit that i have no idea what is
To top it off, the price for this car is... and hold on! 3100euros or 3300USD...

Im still thinking about buying it and get it back together. All parts for the car is there, complete interior with S14 leatherseats and so on...

Would you buy it?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #68
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I would buy it exclusively for that amazing dragon airbrush artwork, m8. Sensational.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #69
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
I would buy it exclusively for that amazing dragon airbrush artwork, m8. Sensational.
Well... Thats exactly what i did!! Gotta get some of the Dragonpower!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #70
Jens

Jens is an unknown quantity at this point
You now got to save the dragon man!
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #71
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

So i think its pretty long time ago i last updated this thread.

And the answer is: Yes i bought the dragon S13. Build thread is here: https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=673779

Anyway. Ive have a few pictures of the rear fenders being re-welded as i wasnt happy with the first try.
And my friend is also in the middle of cleaning and making the head nice an pretty.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #72
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Im sorry! I havent updated this thread in a long time.
The main reasons are that the car is located 3 hours drive away from me, and i have another car that takes a lot of my time. Mainly because its a lot closer to me than this one.
But luckily ill get this car home soon.

When i get it home, ill remove the rear subframe to rebuild it properly, and to move the 5lug conversion to the other S13 i have.
Then i have to clean the whole underside so i can give it some proper protection so it will last in Denmark. I also used the TypeX bodykit on the other S13 as its a RHD, and its a lot more fitting when im going to a TypeX look-a-like. So this means im on the lookout for an agressive kit for this car. Im 90% sure itll be some Originlabo Racing line. But time will tell

Anyway, this is just a small update. Ill be back with more when the car gets back.

Im thinking about doing some youtube videos on putting it back together. But are people interested in that?
Old 08-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #73
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

First thing first with this car is to remove the HSD coilovers with Aircups, as i wanted it in my other S13. So i installed a set of MaxPeedingRods coilovers instead. And ofc i just had to slam it

Theres 9cm difference in the 2 cars. And the "high" car have a 4cm lowering spring. So its pretty low and totally useless to drive around with. But it does look good!

I took a day out of my schedule to pick up all the parts for the car. Its a 270km/167mile trip. And to top it of, it was done with a trailer. This means i couldnt legally drive faster than 80km/h or 37mph. Thats very slow compared to the normal speed at 130+km/h or 80mph+
But i need the parts so i can continue with this car. I did not bring the engine or gearbox, as i need to put everything else in the car first.

When i arrived we put out all the parts to plan the loading of the trailer.
My friend was doubting if we could fit everything into the trailer, but after some planning, we got everything into the trailer.

The positive thing about growing up on a farm, is the skills you aquire with reversing tractors and trailers. So i did a nice parking in my workshop so it was easy to unload it.
The loading took 2 hours, and the unloading 30 mins But thats how it always is :P

Finally i also have the overfenders, so i had to install them for a small photoshoot with my friend. Its a tradition at this point

And the cars parked next to eachother

My friend moved the cars around to take some cool pictures.

When playing around with the fuel filler cap, the wire broke, so i ordered a new one. And as soon as it will arrive, we'll start putting the interior back together.
Hopefully we will complete the interior this weekend.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #74
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I started putting the interior back into the car as soon as possible as its taking up a LOT of space. I left the dash out, as i still need to access a lot of stuff under it.

And as there was some surface rust in the back of the car, i choose to remove the subframe and fuel tank. Also because theres no diff or axles in the subframe. So its easier to install everything when its out of the car. (And the pump for the Diff-cooler is impossible to install when the subframe is in place)
The subframe have been powdercoated a few years ago, so it just needed a quick clean.

I painted the diff and axles so theyre ready to go back into the car.

I also had to cut the dust cover to fit the bigger 300ZX Z32 brakes

As you can see under the car, theres was some surfacerust.
I went crazy with a steel brush to remove everything, treated the bare metal with BrunoX Epoxy and brushed on a layer of Tectyl BodySafe

The brakelines were old and nasty, so i made new ones for the back of the car

The Fueltank was a nightmare. The buttom was nice and clean, but the top was nasty and have a lot of surfacerust
I removed all loose rust and gave it epoxy, then Zinc and ended up with some black paint. Matt on the top, and shiny on the bottom. And also did install new and nice StP sound deadening to protect the fueltank from rubbing on the chassis

So fueltank is back in

And also the subframe

I still need to make fuel lines and brakelines from the front of the car. But that have to wait untill it gets painted
I did try to print a tool to straighten the fuel lines. and it actually works fine. The first version did break though :/

Old 09-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #75
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyttah View Post

I did try to print a tool to straighten the fuel lines. and it actually works fine. The first version did break though :/

this is too cool. It irks me so much when people make new lines from coils but never put the effort into getting them straight first.

good progress.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:29 AM   #76
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
this is too cool. It irks me so much when people make new lines from coils but never put the effort into getting them straight first.

good progress.
Thanks. And same here. It takes so little to make it look nice, and it saves a lot of tubing

On top of that, i had to print some new holders for fuel line and brake line as the original are rusted and ugly. So i did a quick testprint.
Its made so it the lines can click into place and utilize the OEM holes

Old 09-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #77
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Nice details with the fuel lines and such, but are you using copper? Make sure you coat those up in cosmoline or something!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #78
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Nice details with the fuel lines and such, but are you using copper? Make sure you coat those up in cosmoline or something!
Thanks. And yeah, im using copper lines. and i dont have any plans of coating them as its gonna be a summer only car. So it wont see water or snow.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #79
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

i guess its time to show the pictures my friend took of my 2 cars

More of his work can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/peterfalkphotofactory
Old 04-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #80
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Finally theres time for an update again.
Its been a while, but work, family and house is taking up a LOT of time.
Anyway. then i have a lot of time the next 2 weeks to work on the car.

Some time ago i had a friend by to do some welding on the framerail, as a previous owner thought it would be a good idea just to weld a piece of metal on top of rust.

I wanted to get the whole car painted by a professional. But there was months of waiting, so i desided to paint the enginebay myself, so i could continue installing stuff on the car.
It did take a LOT of time to get the bay ready for paint. But it was worth it.

I bought a used carbon spoiler from a friend, but i didnt like the legs. So i desided to 3Dprint some new ones as a test. The feet are still to high for my likings, but at least i have a template to adjust at a later time. And then get a friend to laser-cut it in stainless steel

I also picked up a min pignose frontbumper with lip. I think it would give the car a very cool look.

My dog wanted to be in this post. Dont judge!

Another friend also helped me put together the engine. We still need a few bolts, a gasket and a few other things - But damn, it looks good!

Old 01-09-2023, 03:03 AM   #81
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Snilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really nice
Would be interested to see this story continue
Snilssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:48 AM   #82
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snilssson View Post
Would be interested to see this story continue
As you wish :P

The last half year has been a lot of ups and downs. Wife and i bought a house, both got new cars, we moved and renovated the house, Covid hit both of us and so on... But we are back on track with this S13. I expect to have it driving for the summer 2023

Anyway. Lets fill up this thread with pictures!

Engine is back into the car.

Engine is making low compression on cylinder 4. Engine has to get out of the car

A quick picture underneath

Desided to remove the head only as i expected the valves to not seal properly.

Then i figured i might as well remove the engineblock as it makes installing it easier. Also because i figured i might as well check the pistonrings

And guess what, they were installed incorrect. Finally i see progress. Time to install everything again.

Also got new valve stem seals

And the engine was back in the car

After my wife bought a 2021 Model 3 Tesla, i wanted to exchange my Chevrolet Cruze from 2011. So i found a Mazda CX-5 2.2 Diesel from 2017 in Soul Red - the only right color for a Mazda.

Went to testdrive it and bought it the day after

Old 01-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #83
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

And part 2 of the huge update.

The engine was still low on compression, so i had to take it apart again. My mechanic told me it could be the hydraulic lifters that needs a good clean. So i took it all apart again.

And once again i have to put the engine back together.

Went to do yet another compression test, and this is the result:
Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

So yeah, car is going to a workshop soon so they can fix it. Im not gonna touch the engine anymore.

And my wife, dog and I went across europe (1600km each way) for christmas. and ofc, we took my Mazda CX-5. And guess what... With my luck we got a check engine light. got the errorcode read out at a Mazda dealership, and they told us it was an exhaust sensor that was bad - typical issue on these engines. but safe to drive home.
Well... when we drove home from vacation, 400km after we left, engine lost power. And this was the 31 of december at 5pm. no power so we rolled it 1200km home with a topspeed on 120km downhill. We got home, called the dealership and told them the problems and now the car is at their place. They also told me the intake is full of soot and it has to be cleaned. Luckily i have 6 months of warranty
Old 01-17-2023, 07:21 AM   #84
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
I hope you have more luck with the engine in the mazda then the one in the s13. i heard that the mazda diesel engines have problems sometimes with the DPF regeneration. if your oil level is above the normal hight then it is a DPF regeneration problem. you can find a lot of it on google.
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:45 AM   #85
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Snilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really nice
That is some really bad luck, hope both cars get fixed without much issue in the future.

How is the fitment on the Kouki kit by the way?
Old 01-18-2023, 08:31 AM   #86
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Mazda seems to have a reoccurring issue with their diesels getting choked up with soot and byproducts. I’d make sure they thoroughly inspect the entire system and clean what is necessary.

I love the idea of diesel motors, but these failures and the repair costs will keep me on the petrol train.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:14 AM   #87
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

I just wanted to give a quick update as I don't think I showed the brake calipers after they got painted

You might be thinking its a boring color. But in the sun its pretty cool

And I went to pickup the Mazda this Friday.
We drove a whole 47km, and then this happened.

I've been told by multiple people that the Mazda Diesel have problems with short trips - and also that the soot will clog the oil pickup and this will be an very expensive repair. So I'm actually thinking about reversing the purchase and buying a Toyota Avensis T270 wagon.

Quote:
That is some really bad luck, hope both cars get fixed without much issue in the future.

How is the fitment on the Kouki kit by the way?
The bodykit actually fits pretty good. Theres a bit of fiberglasswork to be done, but overall, its not bad.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #88
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Lets just bring a quick update on the shitshow that some people call my Nissan 200SX S13

First of. Finally got the TypeX bodykit for the second S13. Only waited almost half a year because of danish postal "service".
So ofc i started to mock the front up.

Just to clarify, I have done absolutely NO modifications so far to the front bumper. But a bit of sanding and its pretty good. I would give the fitment are a 8/10.

Also a quick picture of the painted rear brakecaliper

And lastly, i finally got the Mazda back. And tomorrow im putting it for sale.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:22 AM   #89
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Doesnt look too bad with the kit, where did you buy it from?
Also what are you replacing the Mazda with
Old 02-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #90
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Doesnt look too bad with the kit, where did you buy it from?
Also what are you replacing the Mazda with
Its from JDMbodyshop.pl. They have a shop on ebay. Both bodykits are from them. Just bought them a few years apart.

Also, yet another small update.

My painter came by to look on my other car. And ofc. he had some glitter in the car... #painter-stuff

I had to raise the car for the time to come...

Ill just leave it at this: