Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
razmus has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
1/24 Scale Models

Searched for a previous thread and the only thing that came up was something dead from 2011.

Since I moved to Spain and don't have room for 1/1 cars at my house (living in the city), I got into scale modeling. Starts off as a cheap hobby, but gets expensive as you get more into it hahah. Here is one I recently finished, an Aoshima S15. Hope you like it!

Anyone build them as well?

razmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
pignose.007

Trader Rating: (0)
pignose.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey, that's pretty awesome work! I build them as well. I'm working on a MK4 Supra right now. I'll take some pictures when I get home.
pignose.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
MikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MikeisNissan
Aaaawesome.

因果関係の流れ
MikeisNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I can appreciate the level of detail
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
This is cool! integrate this type of detail into RC!
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
where are you ordering them from??? I would like to find a 180sx
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

chato de shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
where are you ordering them from??? I would like to find a 180sx
I think your best bet would be to start on ebay for 180sx 1/24 scale models. Try Aoshima, Fujimi or Tamiya as the brands. I've been buying my kits from ebay for a little over 3 years. Prices seem cheaper to buy from Hong Kong or Japan then going to a local hobby shop and buying from there. Kits I used to buy in the early 2000's cost me about $25 and today these kind of kits can run $50+. On ebay I can still manage to find something for $20. Add shipping fees which can probably run $8 to $15 and you're still saving. Also, it'll be easier finding s-chassis kits online then driving/calling around in your city. Hobby shops in the U.S. tend to carry more U.S. brand kits such as Revell and Trumpeter and these companies tend to focus on making American muscle kits. Japan model companies tend to make more Japan cars. That, and also s-chassis are old. I don't know if they still produce these kits (at least the S14) so it'll be that much harder finding it in the U.S.

Last edited by chato de shamrock; 05-07-2015 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: added more info
chato de shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Glad people like it! Here are some others I did, Red or Dead!

Tamiya Loctite R34

Some progress on a Revell ITR

Shitty lightning in all the pictures. Ill have to take some new ones
Old 05-07-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

As chato states, best place to start is ebay. The hobby stores in Asia have a lot of stock and waaay better options than what the stores in the US offer. Ive got a few kits waiting to be built and I cant help but keep buying more and more
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #10
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

I finished this one last month. I've dropped several models before so I've gotten the hang of doing that, but this was my first time using cambered tires from one of Aoshima's VIP Kiwami kits. I spent somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks working on the camber, making sure the model wasn't lob sided, all 4 tires rest on the table and the camber look at least closely the same all around. Once I was done working on the chassis I swore I would never use Aoshima's cambered tires regardless of how nice they look. Well, I just received an order of their 18" meister wheels with cambered tires last week.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

I really LOVE their new tire set up. Hated the super high profile on nice wheels. Makes any model look better. What other models do you have?
BTW, eightyone81 just released Equips. We dont have to buy entire kits just for the wheels anymore hahaha
Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #12
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

I took the tires from eightyone81's BBS mesh wheels to use on the Skyline and the lip from the mesh for the rear. I test fit things over and over and I liked how it looked, but now I'm not too convinced with the front. Maybe I should have popped it out a tiny bit more or gone with a stretched look?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah, Id def say go with a slight lip. Obviously not as big as the rears, but its throws it off for sure. When I block half the car with my hand, it looks like 2 different models. The front looks very mild while the rear is aggressive. Are you painting the front fender flare as well?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #14
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Pardon my photo skills, they aren't the best. At the time I bought a decent $200 camera with the intention to take pictures of my models and to just have one for family moments, parties etc. I never got around to photographing the models. In fact I rarely used it cause when I leave the house I'm not used to remembering to pack the camera. Then after a few years I started to use it and it crapped out on me within a year. These are all taken with my Galaxy S3.

These were finished before the Skyline and S14. In all i've probably made 15-20 models. Mostly tuners and 5 low riders. I actually got started doing this when I was a teen into lowrider bikes. Picked up a lowrider bicycle magazine and saw the models. Started with a few Impalas and a 79 Monte Carlo. As i got into it and owned my first car (95 Integra) I saw the Integra models and sorta started the tuner cars from there. Currently doing a 66 Impala, Rocket Bunny FRS and another S14

Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #15
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Def get some better pics! By the looks, they look awesome. Love the chrome trim on the VIP cars as well as the curtains!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmus View Post
Yeah, Id def say go with a slight lip. Obviously not as big as the rears, but its throws it off for sure. When I block half the car with my hand, it looks like 2 different models. The front looks very mild while the rear is aggressive. Are you painting the front fender flare as well?
No. This kit is supposed to only have the rear fender flares painted. That's actually what I was aiming for. Something like the one briefly used on the Fast and Furious Rio movie. The space I have up front is smaller then the back. Since the eightyone81 stretch tires come staggered I'd have to use another set of rears on the front to give it the aggressive look all around. I have to play with it cause I might have little to no space to fit those tires. And I used plastic screws to hold the wheels. They allowed me to pull the rear tires out to get that flush look cause the stock parts that hold the wheels on were far too short.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Thats a tough choice. What if you give a little more lip in the front and a little less in the rear to compensate? Just looks super aggressive in the rear and normal in the front.

Love the chassis though! How are you doing the chrome trims? foil? tape? paint?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I used to do models when i was young, but they would always get broken as I never had a dedicated place for them. And familiy members did not care about the time I put into them.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
Wow I love this thread, have yet to start my own collection, everytime I have money to buy a scale model I end up using it on my car 😒

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #20
TOPSECRETIS

Trader Rating: (0)
TOPSECRETIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This thread is awesome! I've seen a lot of these poping up for sale and the crazy detailed ones going for about $200. The most expensive one I saw was a sick Toyota 2000gt.
TOPSECRETIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #21
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

I thought I read a comment in which someone said they like these kits but don't have a place to work on them. Neither do I. I usually work on a hobby matt in the kitchen table after we've had dinner, the kitchen is clean and everyone gone. I'll work into the night sometimes and pick up all my mess and hide it when i'm not working. I wish I had my own work space, especially when it's like 3AM and I'm ready to go to bed.

Razmus, do you have any more photos you'd like to share? By the way, I use BMF for my chrome trim. I recently bought my first airbrush set-up and began trying Alclad paints but my chrome jobs need a lot of work. I tried the chrome sticker sheet that is included with the VIP kits but the paper is far too thick to cut with an exacto knife and even worse, doesn't contour on the model's curves and grooves.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #22
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Im glad I have a place to work, I wouldnt be able to do it if I couldnt leave everything in its place when Im done for the night. Just like the old garage though, I like to keep it cleaned and organized.

This is the one that actually got me into scale building. It was built by a cousin that passed away in a motorcycle accident. One day we went to look at all the other die cast cars that were still in his old room and I found this one, which my uncle let me have. I started searching up cars and soon enough I got hooked.

Its an older version Tamiya 787B with a bunch of extras. The detail is awesome but its a shame it wasnt covered when it was on the shelf. Years of dust and lots of broken/missing little pieces and the decals are definitely showing their age.

This was the first model I built. Aoshima Vertex S15 with work wheels. Pretty good for the first one, but now I see way more things I could do differently.

Second one I did, Aoshima SC300. I really wasnt motivated to do it, and it turned out like complete shit. I was about to throw it away and decided to do another paint job and wheels. Looks decent now, but still hate it hahah

Aoshima Vertex Chaser, fun car to and experimented with new paint which turned out awesome. Lots of dust in the pics but dont worry, it was cleaned before any spraying.

Currently working on a Revell ITR, Hasegawa EG, Aoshima Aristo. Hopefully the paint/decals come in soon!

I still have to work on my panit skills though. Too much orange peel and probably not enough clear. I wet sanded and polished the street S15 and it has decent paint, but I want better results. Not bad for being the 5th one though. I cant stop buying new models, wheels, and material. Its so addicting!!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Work in progress of the Hasegawa EG. DOnt mind the dust. Needs more detail to dash, more decals, more wheels, more cage, more time...

Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Felipe
Post Whore!

Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
What cement /glue you guys using?
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #25
Felipe
Post Whore!

Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
I remember few years ago... Like 10years lol I used to buy my stuff at this little shop in San Gabriel off main by Rick's dinner. They used to have water carbon fiber decals
Late Night Crew #1
Old 05-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
k0uki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (47)
k0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
How do you guys slam the cars? cut the struts? I'm currently building a FUJIMI S14 Kouki.
k0uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #27
Felipe
Post Whore!

I still have this to build
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150530_100130.jpg (222.9 KB, 17 views)
Late Night Crew #1
Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 AM   #28
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Works great 99% of the time. The water decals are pretty much available everywhere (online) these days. Definitely adds a lot of detail!

k0uki- Search up elpmodeling on youtube. He is currently doing a few videos on that build and demonstrates the best way to lower it, paint it, etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 AM   #29
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
What cement /glue you guys using?
STAY AWAY FROM THIS! It will heat the plastic as it cures and deform it.
http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/242/0...10-1-3ww-l.jpg

I use this for gluing small clear parts
http://www.gpmd.com/image/t/tesr1677.jpg

I use small drops of crazy glue to glue windshields. I make sure I apply it as far away from anywhere that's visible just in case the glue fogs the clear part. I use Zap-A-Gap (the green labeled bottle). I will sometimes use it to glue parts on the model.
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-374812012...lue-1oz-14.gif

My local hobby shop recommended this glue also from Zap for clear parts. It cures as fast as crazy glue without fogging clear parts. I tested it gluing two clear pieces of plastic (Revell plastic) and it fogged up where the parts attached together. Told my LHS and left them scratching their heads because they swore by it and has experience using it. Came back home and dropped a few drops on another clear piece of plastic (Aoshima model) and it did NOT fog. Left me scratching my head.
http://www.supergluecorp.com/files/i...22.preview.jpg

The glue I mainly use to put parts together are these two
http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/242/0...01-1-3ww-l.jpg
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-374812012...-cement-10.gif

I just began using the Tamiya extra thin cement and have been very happy with the results. It's thin enough to get in between the (seam?) two parts put together create and it doesn't leave any glue residue behind that will require sanding and smoothing off. Youtube has reviews on that stuff.

Last edited by chato de shamrock; 06-12-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Old 06-04-2015, 04:45 AM   #30
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0uki View Post
How do you guys slam the cars? cut the struts? I'm currently building a FUJIMI S14 Kouki.
I cut the shocks short. For the Fujimi S14 I had to chop off quite a bit. I'll take pictures and circle where i cut because typing what I did will just confuse you.