Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
rbpowerds14
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (5)
rbpowerds14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
s14 s13 rear calipers and ebrake on s14?

ok well on my 97 s14 i just bought the rear calipers were replaced with s13 calipers(dont ask me why) well since the e-brake connection is diffrent the s14 e-brake cables wont work.

can i just simply swap out the s14 ebrake cables with s13 ones?
will that solve the problem?

or is there no choice and i have toget s14 rear calipers?

thanks
rbpowerds14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Katsumbhong
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Katsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her selfKatsumbhong is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpowerds14 View Post
ok well on my 97 s14 i just bought the rear calipers were replaced with s13 calipers(dont ask me why) well since the e-brake connection is diffrent the s14 e-brake cables wont work.

can i just simply swap out the s14 ebrake cables with s13 ones?
will that solve the problem?

or is there no choice and i have toget s14 rear calipers?

thanks
Never swapped between calipers, I had a 180sx, and AFAIK the rear calipers and rotors on the S13 J/Q/K, 180sx, and S14 Q/K are the same here in Japan. When I swapped over to 5-lug I used R32 Rear Hubs, S14 K (SE/LE) Rotors and my S13 calipers.

Can you load up some pics about the cable not working with the caliper? AFAIK I thought all the S13/S14/180sx rear brakes were exactly the same except for them being either 4 or 5-lug
Katsumbhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
rbpowerds14

i have no pics at the moment ill try to take some and upload them
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
As far as I know it SHOULD just drop right in. I have not heard of the s-14's having different e-brake cables than the s-13's. Post up some pics so that we can see what you are talking about. You should be able to swap the e-brake levers on the calipers from your s-14 ones to your s-13 ones. It will probably be quite a bitch since they are spring laoded, but it would be better to do IMO than swapping the cables.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The cables are not the same, nor is the lever on the caliper, which you've found out. The pad carrier is the same for all Schassis, but the rest of it differs. You can adapt the S14 caliper hardware to the S13 caliper, but you're better off getting the correct calipers since you'd need them anyway to get the levers/springs/etc. Plus I'd be weary of used calipers anyway, older ones off an S13 will probably seize up a lot sooner than newer, lesser mileage S14 ones. A pair of rebuilt ones won't run more than $100.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
rbpowerds14

well i know for a fact that the connections for the ebrake is diffrent.

the s14 cable on the end has like a 0. it hooks on to the e-brake lever on the caliper. the s13 cable on the end has a nob(like a throttle cable)

i have the s13 cables, i just wanted to know if they were the same lenght to use them on my s14 with s13 rear calipers. just dont wanna start the job and find out it cant be done.

this is what the s13 calipers look like(see where the ebrake cable slide through and then locks into)

i cant find a pick of s14 one but it has a little hook on the end

im looking for s14 caliper pic now
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
rbpowerds14

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
The cables are not the same, nor is the lever on the caliper, which you've found out. The pad carrier is the same for all Schassis, but the rest of it differs. You can adapt the S14 caliper hardware to the S13 caliper, but you're better off getting the correct calipers since you'd need them anyway to get the levers/springs/etc. Plus I'd be weary of used calipers anyway, older ones off an S13 will probably seize up a lot sooner than newer, lesser mileage S14 ones. A pair of rebuilt ones won't run more than $100.
thank you for the info. yea i can get a set of s14 calipers for 85 buxs. i was just seeing, since i ALREADY have s13 ebrake cables and on my s14 at the moment are s13 calipers, if its just a simple swap of ebrake cables.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
rbpowerds14

ok i found the pics!!

1-s13 rear caliper(notice the e-brake connection)

2-(on the left) is a s14 rear caliper(notice the "hook" e-brake connection)

now all i want to know is---- on my s14 with rear s13 calipers, can i just simply swap out the s14 ebrake cable with a s13 ones and it will work? thats all.
thank you!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #9
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For your setup, yes
That being all... depends on a few things, you might even have to adjust the ebrake handle. Whooa! Get the fsm for that part.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The S14 rear calipers actually have bigger pistons than the S13 calipers.

Says so in the FSM, and I confirmed this by having both sets in my possession.

And yes, I was trying to put S14 rear calipers onto my S13 for an upgrade, only to find out that the ebrake brackets are different between the S13 and S14.

Upon inspection the 2 cables have different ends where it hooks onto the caliper.

Those pics are decent, but if you want a side by side comparison I can take some pics later on today.

I have not checked to see if the S14 ebrake cables are longer than the S13 ones or not yet, but seriously, if I were you, I'd get some S14 calipers instead of S13 ones because of the bigger piston size alone, not to mention it's a drop in replacement without hassle...
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote