Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB RB20DET block question(s)

So I am currently rebuilding an RB20DET and have come across what appears to be machining like cuts on the underside of the block where the crank rotates. At first I thought it could have been the crank rubbing but after further investigation I realized that (A) the metal on metal if starved of oil would appear to be far more violent and less controlled and (B) the type of finish indicates that it has been milled in. I also thought that the previous owner could have run an oversized crank (stroker) but I am still trying to check up on serial numbers of parts. Due to the possibility of it being stroked I also measured out the cylinders to see if it was bored out or anything and the measurements are coming to just about manufacturer spec.

You can see the machine marks I am talking about in the bottom left quadrant of the cylinder. The marks are all in the same position on all cylinders.

Also, the crank shows the same type of machinelike made marks which is leading me to believe that the crank was machined to be rebalanced. So if the crank is stock and just rebalanced why the machine marks on the block? I've looked at numerous RB threads specifically 20, obviously, and have not seen this or read anything about this.

With that said my question(s) are:
Why would this be done?
What kind of purpose would this serve in terms of performance or maintenance?

Other than skylineforums is there anywhere else I can look up serial numbers without having to contact Nissan and jump through hoops to get answers?

Any help is much appreciated. This is also my first post on zilvia so I couldn't decide on whether or not I wanted to put this in the build thread. It would be nice if im just a noob and there isn't anything wrong or the machine marks are something to be happy about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.jpg (513.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2255.jpg (493.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2250.jpg (524.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2256.jpg (515.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (522.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.jpg (517.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2260.jpg (517.6 KB, 6 views)
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
TSL
Leaky Injector

TSL is an unknown quantity at this point
Its for the oil squirters.
TSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks! I didn't really know what to search up when I googled it, but when I used oil squirters it came right up. thanks.
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote