Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
miamiman323
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
miamiman323 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
s14 steering wheel hub kouki s14

I really didn't want it to come to this, but here I am, asking how the hell to mount a steering wheel in my 97 s14.

Now I know everyone is going to tell me s13 and s14 hubs are the same. Ive searched high and low all over the Internet and that seems to be what is said in every thread about the subject.

Problem is that an s13 hub doesn't fit my steering stem. I had my nardi in my s13 and always ran a $9 ebay hub for s13/s14. I kept the wheel and hub and when I tried to mount it in my 14 it wouldn't fit so I put my stock one back on and hit the forums.

Every single thread i've come across says they're the same so 2 more times, thinking I must have been being stupid, I tried to fit it again to no avail. So last week I bought a used hub made by "luisi" listed as an s14 hub on eBay and now it's here and just as before it is too small to fit over the splines.

I feel like an idiot now. I never in my life thought I would have this much trouble mounting a god dammed steering wheel. My stock wheel slides on and off smoothly with no problems so I don't think it could be a screwed up stem. It does have an airbag but I cant imagine its different. An s15 wheel with an airbag fit on my s13 without problem's so it just doesnt make sense to me.

sorry for this dumb thread.
miamiman323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Bullett
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Bullett is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Haven't had much help on a similar subject here either.. I did see a couple you tube videos on installation though. if it helps.
Bullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
From my exp when I installed a NRG hub the only difference was there were 2 pins on the hub that needed to be removed for it to work. Other than that it slipped on both a 90 s13 hatch and a 96 s14. Never used any of those ebay ones since this I like to avoid issues like your having.

I'm not running a NRG anymore since I have moved on to a Works Bell Splash hub that has the SRS bypass plug.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
miamiman323
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
From my exp when I installed a NRG hub the only difference was there were 2 pins on the hub that needed to be removed for it to work. Other than that it slipped on both a 90 s13 hatch and a 96 s14. Never used any of those ebay ones since this I like to avoid issues like your having.

I'm not running a NRG anymore since I have moved on to a Works Bell Splash hub that has the SRS bypass plug.
Mine has no pins on it and im not even trying to use the horn. I dont think its the hub thats the problem, ive used ebay hubs a number of times and this new luisi one isnt off brand. They fit on s13s perfect, just not on my s14. Maybe koukis had different steering stem or something.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Bullett
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

I'm currently looking into a WB hub setup for a Nardi wheel. Where can I source one of these and do they offer a QR that I WONT have to run an adapter with for an S14?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
miamiman323
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
I'm currently looking into a WB hub setup for a Nardi wheel. Where can I source one of these and do they offer a QR that I WONT have to run an adapter with for an S14?
Any WB or NRG hub will work with a nardi wheel. Any nrg/wb quick release should work with any of their hubs too. You really just gotta see how far out you want it to stick. If its a nardi deep corn then you probably want a short hub and one of the slimmer quick releases sobits not pressing against your chest.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Bullett
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman323 View Post
Any WB or NRG hub will work with a nardi wheel. Any nrg/wb quick release should work with any of their hubs too. You really just gotta see how far out you want it to stick. If its a nardi deep corn then you probably want a short hub and one of the slimmer quick releases sobits not pressing against your chest.
Right on, was a little concerned with the hor, ABS, and slim hub strength issues with NRG. I'LLC stop hijacking lol.