Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #31
jbuckley
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
jbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of lightjbuckley is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
im really diggin the trunk ! good luck on the build
jbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
bo2o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
bo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfectionbo2o is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
so no ac or heat?

^^^click^^^
bo2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #33
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
What MIG welder are you guys using and what is your set-up? Power?
How are you performing the stitch welding on the chassis?

Build looks real promosing, should be fun to follow your progress.
Keep up the work fellas!
IIIXziuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #34
ByeByeSti
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
ByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn, those welds lookin real good, wish mine came out that clean
ByeByeSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
dxs080jpgex
Zilvia Addict

dxs080jpgex will become famous soon enoughdxs080jpgex will become famous soon enoughdxs080jpgex will become famous soon enoughdxs080jpgex will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to dxs080jpgex
thats not the final shape of the cage is it?
its awefully far from those a pillars
great build though
id love to find a coupe near me!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #36
sijia10358
Zilvia FREAK!

sijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfection
wow! this looks like a interesting build up!!! i wanna see the finished product!!!

[email protected]

TIRE CENTRAL "DONALD" 626-227-0150
DRIFT SPEED "QUOC" 562-342-9000
sijia10358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #37
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
holy stitch welds batman! I take it you're going for chassis strength, because it seems like half of those would do. Did you make sure you had some way to keep the chassis from flexing with the heat?

Cage and rear firewall look good.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #38
Tomkun-s13

Tomkun-s13 is making a name for him/her selfTomkun-s13 is making a name for him/her self
Good job on the build. You know you could just cut the end off the control arms and box them then add some heim joints. Not to much more work then what you've done.
Tomkun-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #39
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Okay cool man, if you could ask your buddy about the welding and what not that would be awesome. Just trying to get a general idea of how it was done.
IIIXziuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #40
mugendork
Zilvia Junkie

mugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond repute
just a thought, you said that your pipe bender was crushing the tubing? A cheap trick is to find a way to plug the ends, plumbing cap etc etc...plug one side, fill it completely with sand, then plug the other side, it should not collapse if done correctly...
mugendork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #41
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looks like a good project car for 500 bucks.
Off the top of my head:
FIBERGLASS DASH" Don't get overly exotic making one. Pre Fabbed flat panels are the way to go for good weight loss. I think my dash is 3lb's.

FUEL CELL: Not necessary right now until you start running race gas and need to control your weight (racing and TA anyway) But a good upgrade.

2 WAY DIFF: For drifting is fine. Not for racing or TA. For that you should stick with a Helical like a Quaife Helical LSD if you are serious about racing.

SWAY BAR: For drifting you want a good rigid setup front and back. For race and TA you want a rigid setup in the front, and softer setup (stock) in the rear.

WEIGHT REDUCTION: Plenty to be had starting with that sound deadening (30lb's) on that alone.

Good luck and keep us updated.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #42
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
nice...where in MA are you located?
eastcoastS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #43
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastS14 View Post
nice...where in MA are you located?
I'm in Sudbury, but the car is at my friends house near Philly.
noname7198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #44
RedtopTech
Zilvia Member

RedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud ofRedtopTech has much to be proud of
Any updates bud?
RedtopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #45
sac
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
looks like your off to a good start man.. That sucks the car is that far away.. I would hate not being able to go out and work on my car whenever.. stitch weldin looks good..
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #46
Landers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lovin this build! Car is coming out very nicely. Props!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #47
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I would have mounted the fuel cell lower, almost in the stock location, personally. I would have also made the rear firewall and trunk floor out of aluminum to save weight as the cage should brace the back of the car good enough to not need the extra rigidity of the welded in firewall and trunk pan. I would really like to see what kognition has to say about my opinions though. Good overall build thoguh!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #48
JesusFreakDrifter
Zilvia Addict

JesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud of
excellent, subscribed, hopefully this turns out well. this is why zilvia needs a build section
JesusFreakDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #49
sr20det drift
Leaky Injector

sr20det drift is on the path to ruinsr20det drift is on the path to ruin
SICK BRO, those are some nice ideas
sr20det drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #50
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
build

Ok, it has been a while since I last posted. Been busy building. As far as the welder I am using, mostly MILLER 135, mig, 75/25 argon/CO2, 110 power, .030 wire for most and .024 for the sheet. Also have a generic tig/plasma setup. Not using that much right now but will tig the stainless tubing. This is my first rollcage. I have definately learned a lot. I know that it is by no means perfect but I am happy with the overall result. The X-bars were very difficult. My cheap tubing notcher only goes to 45 degrees and the x-bars are around 60 degrees. That meant a lot of hand notching. By the end I was getting much better and faster. There have been several comments on the amount of stitch welding/chasis stifening we are doing, I just want to clarify. We are building this car on a very strict $10,000 budget with the overall goal of creating a competative car ( with the right driver, not me ). We do not want to have to rebuild this car anytime soon. With that in mind we are probably going overboard to create a chasis that will hopefully stand up to the abuse of regular track days and regular competition. Perhaps we are dreaming big but can you blame us. Thanks for all the support,
JKP
turboh224g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #51
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
wow man... this is gettin good.. its turning out really well.. good job man
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #52
cbcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

cbcustoms has a spectacular aura aboutcbcustoms has a spectacular aura aboutcbcustoms has a spectacular aura aboutcbcustoms has a spectacular aura aboutcbcustoms has a spectacular aura aboutcbcustoms has a spectacular aura about
Starting to look really good. What color are you doing on the exterior?

Last edited by cbcustoms; 04-06-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Added something
cbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #53
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
damn, nice build. looking forward to more updates.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #54
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Looking good so far.

Nice fab.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #55
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
i have so many ideas right now...

just out of shear curiosity... what is the total cost of your build to date? I already have the silvia front end so you dont need to include that.

i really want to just tear my car apart and do it right the first time, take my time with it, you know?
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #56
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
I've spent about $1500 just on the chassis. I'm not sure the total on the build, but it's under $10,000.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #57
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
under 10 grand is doable. Are you going sr20? Seeing as how im working my ass off and still going to school, I dont have the time to do an sr20 swap. The people at Adrenaline Motorsports in STL quoted me 4500 for an sr20 swap done in house, if i end up going through them. Ive heard good stuff, but i want to make sure they dont half ass it. And i'll prolly have a 10 grand budget, so yeah... Damn i wish i had the time!!
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #58
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

Fit the front bumper:

I know the front end looks pretty banged up, but it was only like $350. It's all repairable, and will look great once it's fixed and painted (or I'll hit a wall and completly trash it first)...

On to the V-mount:

Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #59
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
you are awesome.
g-via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #60
Signum Temporis
Leaky Injector

Signum Temporis is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to Signum Temporis
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-via View Post