Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #31
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you know, I'm getting my SR smogged within the next few days, I'll get you the number read outs when I go down next week. I'd happily pay $300-400 for a certificate saying its a legal motor. Keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #32
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Static- if you could do that it would be immensly helpful.

If anyone else could to it would really aid in the process

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:06 PM   #33
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
okay just to answer you breifly and to the point. i would pay the $400-$500 to get my SR CARB certified and be completely legal. I dont have an SR just yet but when i do finally get it i want to have peace of mind.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #34
ni5mo240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
ni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Philthy not all cars come with EGR systems, so not all cars have to have it when you get smog check done, but unfortunately 240's came with it so it must be present in the visual inspection. SR's only have air injection and no egr, so when you try and go to smog it the tech looks for emission components that come on that car, he doesn't see egr, you fail visual, and ka's dont come turbo so when a tech sees the turbo in your SR you also fail for that, so you can't try and pass a sr for a ka, it's too ovbious.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #35
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Timtiminy- werd that exactly what I want this project to be about!

ni5mo- werd also, thats what this cert will hopefully cover, more details soon!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #36
ni5mo240
Zilvia Addict

ni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura about
tknbkthrsdy4anfg- tell your boss that SR's came factory in japan with air injection, evap (charcoal canister), a three way catalytic converter (wich reduces NOx), pcv system, and a turbocharger. That's all the emission components I can think of, I don't see why it wouldn't pass sniffer
Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #37
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
If it could be CARB EO'd, you'd still have to take it to get 'sniffed' for smog right? It wouldnt be like a "get out of smog free for life" card right? Even so, I'd be down for $400.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
drift-it
BANNED

drift-it is making his/her stupidity well-knowndrift-it is making his/her stupidity well-knowndrift-it is making his/her stupidity well-knowndrift-it is making his/her stupidity well-knowndrift-it is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to drift-it
I think what your trying to do is great, but in CA theres so many rules and regulations it's hard to be legit, if for some reason you can figure a way to make it 100% legal in CA no loop holes count me in.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #39
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
Carb sticker will at least make it so you don't have to pay your smog guy $250, you can pass a mildly modified car at a regular smog station for $50. Carb stickers will basically exempt you from the visual (to some degree)
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 PM   #40
pablo180
Zilvia Member

pablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of light
I'd happily pay $500+ to get the SR legalized.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #41
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
interesting. lemme know if any progess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #42
xrockoutx
Leaky Injector

xrockoutx has a spectacular aura aboutxrockoutx has a spectacular aura aboutxrockoutx has a spectacular aura aboutxrockoutx has a spectacular aura aboutxrockoutx has a spectacular aura aboutxrockoutx has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to xrockoutx
I'd pay the fee too, when i move to CA. I'll email you a copy of my smog print out.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #43
redsuns3838
Zilvia Addict

redsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to redsuns3838
I would happily pay 500 or more. But could it work for OBD II cars? Because Srs didnt come with OBDII so if you have an OBD II car its extremely hard to get it smogged..
Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #44
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Reduns- I thought S14 sr's were OBDII?
Jeff- yes you would still have to get sniffed.
Drift-it- Thats the plan

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #45
Hoobuttacrew

Hoobuttacrew is a well-known jackass
My question is a bit off topic but I was wondering if I do a vq35 swap into my 1991 240 will it pass smog? what will I need from the donor car to assure this? I know each car passes on its own but im curious as to a hybid between the two. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #46
ni5mo240
Zilvia Addict

you need all the emission equipment that came in the donor car
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #47
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
holy crap, get me certified. that would be so nice, having a street sr no worrying about ref tix. not having to worry about taking the car back to 160hp status... *sigh* only if~...

tknbkthrsdy4anfg - how plausible do you think this is? what have you found through your research, and what needs to be done?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #48
Hoobuttacrew

Hoobuttacrew is a well-known jackass
But the car would pass the visual inspection? Im really looking for a legal alternative to a jdm swap and the vq seems to be the way to go. I just wanna make sure I get everything right the first time. Im looking to pick up an entire car (salvaged) and use alot of the parts i.e. seats, brakes, powertrain and any needed electrical stuff to get it carb approved.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #49
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobuttacrew
But the car would pass the visual inspection? Im really looking for a legal alternative to a jdm swap and the vq seems to be the way to go. I just wanna make sure I get everything right the first time. Im looking to pick up an entire car (salvaged) and use alot of the parts i.e. seats, brakes, powertrain and any needed electrical stuff to get it carb approved.
Um... Start your own thread.

Everything you are thinking about has already been talked about. So you have a choice to search or start a new thread in chat. You decide.

Legalizing an sr? If this is more than a pipe dream than I'm down.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #50
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
heres how to not worry about sr legality: MOVE TO ALABAMA
Old 02-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #51
10-66kruk
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
10-66kruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
a legal sr hell ya sign me up. I am procrastinating just becuase i wanna do an sr swap. Thing is i don't even have a 240 im will sooon and if i can do a smog legal sr helll id pay the 500$'s sure. keep us posted
Old 02-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #52
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

UPDATE!:
"...FYI: As long as the car passes a certification test it could have 10 turbochargers, NOZ () and N0 egr or air pump. The visual test is done to assure the car has the same emission's equipment on it as it did in certified condition. We will be re-certifying the engine and car... Provided it passes the certification test... our under hood label will state what equipment is required."

Handed down from the boss himself!

So my question to you is who has numbers?? StaticX27 is going to give me numbers for a S14 sr in an S14. Anyone have S13 numbers blacktop or red?
If you do, and are willing, send your chassis year, engine model, mods and numbers to [email protected].

As far as I know, a seperate certificate will need to be issued for each SR. As in one for the S14 SR, and one for the black top and one for the red. But hopefully since all the research I have done shows that the black and redtop SR's are more or less the same one should cover both.

I hope this turns out not to be a pipe dream, but it sounds like interest is the limiting factor right now!

Big odom1- Cali > Alabama
Pablo- that FSAE is sick!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #53
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Everyone will be interested in it. The limiting factor is cost.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #54
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Well yea, people interested in paying that cost.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #55
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I would pay $500 or so to have it legal maybe a bit more. I can see people paying that easily if it goes through.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #56
redsuns3838
Zilvia Addict

redsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the roughredsuns3838 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to redsuns3838
i was told the SR does not use OBD II in japan. so no OBD II SRs. So for people with OBDII cars that makes it extra difficult to smog, and more costly. So i think legalization would be worth a great deal of money. Id be honest if I was keeping my 240, (and maybe I would if I could get it legalized) I would easily have paid more than 500 to not have to drive the car in fear 24/7. Hell my coilovers cost 3x that much. 500 is chump change compared to what you pay for under the table smogs and god forbid a ref ticket.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #57
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

okay, shouldn't make a difference.
Anyone know for sure?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #58
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Okay, so another step forward, since the SR20DE was certified in the US (yes I know it was non-turbo and FWD and they arent exactly the same engine) But its a start. However it looks like to be certified it will have to be in a certain configuration, tested and spec'd by us. Its not as esay as just posting better smog check numbers. The certification test isnt a matter of driving at two differnt speeds with the sniffer either. The exhaust system has to be sealed into a sampling bench and then a trace is followed simulating actual driving conditions. A cold start test is included followed by a hot soak and hot start. I will keep you all updated and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #59
rps13sr20det
Leaky Injector

rps13sr20det is making a name for him/her selfrps13sr20det is making a name for him/her self
sure is nice to live in canada! i can pollute as much as possible and NOTHING
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #60
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
yeah! pollution's cool!