Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
BeardflubY

Trader Rating: (0)
BeardflubY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BeardflubY Send a message via Yahoo to BeardflubY
tipping

I got bitched at from a bartender because i didn't tip. I only bought 2 beers and got them at the bar (had to grab beer myself) all she had to do was pour the beer and hand it to me.. Do you guys tip bartenders? Also a pint was 8$
BeardflubY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
Well, I usually tip because those jobs have lower pay, and a large part of their income is from tips. But, it depends on the service as well.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
G-Sep

Trader Rating: (1)
G-Sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Usually $1 per drink ordered is what I tip.
G-Sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I usually do $1-3 a drink. I’ve barely gonna out anymore since my dad owns a beer store and the whole barhopping scene is dead with my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
It's common courtesy to tip $1 per drink. If it's a labor intensive drink, I'll tip more, depending on complexity. If I'm trying to get hooked up throughout the night, I'll tip $20 on a drink.

When it comes to food, I'll tip 18%. Dine in, or take out.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
DonBarrigas

DonBarrigas is an unknown quantity at this point
Can only afford a dollar or two per drink. But have to tip something.
DonBarrigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #7
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
should have left at least a dollar lol
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
If u can't afford to tip you can't afford to go out
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Ok so the wife an I had a disagreement
So we oredered Applebee’s car side to go
(You call to order an they bring it an take payment at your car)
So I tipped them the 15% an she said you don’t tip them
I think so because they still prepare it
An the convince of not having to leave the car

What do u guys think?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
If eating in, I tip, 15-20% depending on if they can keep my sweet tea full.
If I order it online or call, and all they do is bring it to my car, no tip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Ok so the wife an I had a disagreement
So we oredered Applebee’s car side to go
(You call to order an they bring it an take payment at your car)
So I tipped them the 15% an she said you don’t tip them
I think so because they still prepare it
An the convince of not having to leave the car

What do u guys think?
You're right, you should tip. Those tips are still spread among the waitstaff.

I don't go to bars often, but when I do its generally somewhere boujee-ish on a date or something, so I follow the same rules I follow at restaurants:

$3 minimum for tips, if I spend $6 they get a 50% tip, $9 33.3% tip, $12 25% tip and so on.

Over $12 it is dependent on service, for great service I'll do 30%, something less I might go 18-20% at worst.

To be honest, in my adult life I've only had a bad server once. I'm always nice to the hosts/servers and they're always nice back.

I think tipping is an archaic thing and servers should be paid a livable wage, that said, so long as they are not and I can afford to eat out I'm going to tip well.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #12
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Xaser is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If you payment is too low, study or get a better job

My tipping is direct to kindness or service if i have to wait, repeat the order, the tips going down.

If you give me a nice service, in time, get the order.. the tips going up.

A few night ago, im ask a regular coke with lime, and some cheddar/bacon fries they giveme pepsi and even cold and forgot the fries, i dont tipping at all.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I always tips bartenders and waitstaff. Don't they make like $2.30/hr or something without our tips? The service has to be exceptionally bad for me to consider not tipping. I usually do 18%, but it'll go down some if there is little to no effort on their part.

But I do admit, I never tip on takeout because no service is being provided. You guys gave me something to think about. Do those tips go to the cooks or something? How much do cooks get paid?
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
this.

OP should grab a 6 pack at 7-11 for 10 bucks and stay home if this is such an issue.

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #15
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Pay your employees. Needing to be tipped is fucking demeaning. I don't need charity or extra.
Fair pay for honest work.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
j-z
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
j-z has a spectacular aura aboutj-z has a spectacular aura aboutj-z has a spectacular aura aboutj-z has a spectacular aura aboutj-z has a spectacular aura aboutj-z has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
Pay your employees. Needing to be tipped is fucking demeaning. I don't need charity or extra.
Fair pay for honest work.
It's called courtesy. My brother has worked as a server in a handful of restaurants. Have you guys ever seen the movie called 'waiting'? That shit's real. Do you go back to the same restaurant you left a no tip or unfair tip at?

That's like not tipping the valet guy who nicely parked your car, and ran back to get the next party in. Surely you tip this guy.

That's how these people make %50-%80 of their income. You say get a better job? Some people enjoy serving others and seeing a smile on their face. Have a good day.
j-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-z View Post
It's called courtesy. My brother has worked as a server in a handful of restaurants. Have you guys ever seen the movie called 'waiting'? That shit's real. Do you go back to the same restaurant you left a no tip or unfair tip at?

That's like not tipping the valet guy who nicely parked your car, and ran back to get the next party in. Surely you tip this guy.

That's how these people make %50-%80 of their income. You say get a better job? Some people enjoy serving others and seeing a smile on their face. Have a good day.
actually Waiting is what made me think about the cooks, and how they deserve getting tips or atleast a portion. they are the ones in front of fire, fryers and sharp objects.

who's standing up for them?

Old 01-31-2019, 04:33 AM   #18
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
I always tip at least 20% unless someone sucks at their job. I had a good breakfast at Waffle House a couple mo tha ago, my bill was like $8, I left a $20.

Hourly wage for service workers is nothing. They live off of those tips. Don’t be a cheap asshole.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #19
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
actually Waiting is what made me think about the cooks, and how they deserve getting tips or atleast a portion. they are the ones in front of fire, fryers and sharp objects.

who's standing up for them?
Last restaurant I cooked in was a really upscale steakhouse. The wait staff all tip shared and we'd get 10%/ea on top of our $20ish/hr. It really put some skin in the game for us because the better we did, the better they did. Walked out the door many Fri/Sat nights with a Benny in my pocket. Only place that happened and one of the few places I've seen it.

I tip 15% standard; more if they actually do a good job. I've only stiffed 2 people in my life because one decided to hang out with his bros in a booth most of the time vs taking care of his tables. Other one happened last weekend and she literally forgot to put our order in after sitting there for 45min. Then it was rushed and looked just as bad as it tasted. I flipped a $20 for the drinks and told the manager I wasn't paying for shit. Half of it was his fault for not recognizing that one of his tables wasn't flipping after over an hour. I have a lot of patience but I grew up in the industry so I tend to be a little harsher critic.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 01-31-2019 at 11:14 AM..
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #20
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
I always tip at least 15-20% unless the service was bad and then I still only tip about 10% only if I feel like it wasn't out of them just being a horrible waiter/waitress/bartender/etc. Sometimes it's just busy and not really their fault.

I did leave a tip for $1.00 with little sad faces in the zeros at Olive Garden once. She deserved it though.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #21
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Why not raise prices and put up no tipping signs? Pay everyone what they're worth. 20% more per menu item is nothing.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
a lot of restaurants in ca and ny already have no tipping policy. that, the bill already ads tip / service charge of 18%-20%. sometimes an additional 3% for health insurance.

Im totally against this. Most of the time I tip 20% anyways. Sometimes more. Sometimes no tip or less than 20% is entirely justified for those servers who arent doing their part well. of course, I believe its important not to blame the server for the kitchen’s faults, like bad food. mandatory tips just enables poor service. terrible idea at least for customers.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #23
galaxy convoy

galaxy convoy is an unknown quantity at this point
I worked at a car dealership that offers a complimentary valet service, we pick up customers car from their home or work when they need service, give them a loaner car and then return their car back to them. 1 out of 10 customers only give tips
galaxy convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #24
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
a lot of restaurants in ca and ny already have no tipping policy. that, the bill already ads tip / service charge of 18%-20%. sometimes an additional 3% for health insurance.

Im totally against this. Most of the time I tip 20% anyways. Sometimes more. Sometimes no tip or less than 20% is entirely justified for those servers who arent doing their part well. of course, I believe its important not to blame the server for the kitchen’s faults, like bad food. mandatory tips just enables poor service. terrible idea at least for customers.
No one tips in the UK.

I have never had bad service there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy convoy View Post
I worked at a car dealership that offers a complimentary valet service, we pick up customers car from their home or work when they need service, give them a loaner car and then return their car back to them. 1 out of 10 customers only give tips
I wouldn't tip that job, just like I wouldn't tip the enterprise guy who picks me up.

You're not working for $2.17 an hour.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #25
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Why would it enable bad service? Further, how would that bad service be on the server rather than the management?

People are demanding society bend to their habits rather than critically analyzing the practices and moving forward with the best possible solutions. It's fucking stupid. We all acknowledge that servers need paid better and with more stability, and I and many others are asking to pay that price. Fucking charge me so service providers and do their jobs.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #26
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
I tip per performance while eating. If they are shitty they get a shitty tip, still a tip though.(how busy they are plays a factor) For drinks usually $1 per drink but I always get bottled beer.

I've heard of bartenders getting $2-$4 an hour. I've also dated one and she could bring home over $400 on a good night. That was for about 5 hours of work.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #27
galaxy convoy

galaxy convoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
No one tips in the UK.

I have never had bad service there.

I wouldn't tip that job, just like I wouldn't tip the enterprise guy who picks me up.

You're not working for $2.17 an hour.
So youre saying you tip base on how much the person make not how good the service? And picking a customer car is way different than someone picking you up and give you a ride
galaxy convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #28
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hmm, it's not been my experience that there's no tipping in England. I can't speak for the rest of the Uk, as I've never visited.

I've not been anywhere outside of london, but I do recall there being times where I did tip and did have conversations with servers about tipping. I try to ask what social expectations are when I travel. I've not had people refuse extra tip on top of service charge, and I've done that in places where the hospitality was something I found exceptionally good.

You also get instances where a mandatory service charge is already added. Whether you consider that tip or not is up to you. I think it counts as tip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Etiquette.html
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #29
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Hmm, it's not been my experience that there's no tipping in England. I can't speak for the rest of the Uk, as I've never visited.

I've not been anywhere outside of london, but I do recall there being times where I did tip and did have conversations with servers about tipping. I try to ask what social expectations are when I travel. I've not had people refuse extra tip on top of service charge, and I've done that in places where the hospitality was something I found exceptionally good.

You also get instances where a mandatory service charge is already added. Whether you consider that tip or not is up to you. I think it counts as tip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Etiquette.html
Interesting. Yeah not at a single place I went in the UK was a tip even an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy convoy View Post
So youre saying you tip base on how much the person make not how good the service? And picking a customer car is way different than someone picking you up and give you a ride
Dude you don't work a job in the service industry. You literally pick up people's cars & take them back. That is a much easier job than working as a waitress/bartender/etc.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #30
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post

Dude you don't work a job in the service industry. You literally pick up people's cars & take them back. That is a much easier job than working as a waitress/bartender/etc.
you clearly never worked as a Valet.