Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
chipsahoy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
chipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
T28 internal wastegate problem? possible upgrades?

Okay I have a 93' Nissan 240sx with a Blacktop S13 Sr20det. when I did the swap back in February of this year, I noticed it was boosting way to high. Come to find out that the wastegate was back. So I got a new Garrett wastegate from Z1 motorsports for like $25 since it was on sale. as you can tell it has barely been over 2 months and it crapped out again. I was only running stock 7psi which is what the wastegate is factory set for.

so i took the vacuum line off the engine side and blew into it using my mouth, I could hear air coming from the wastegate like the diaphragm inside had ripped or something

Any help or suggestions would be great on possible upgrades or even the ebay ones.
chipsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Go external wastegate.

Also, the diaphrams aren't meant to see vacuum, so you want the hose going to a boost-only source "hotpipe".
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
chipsahoy
Leaky Injector

chipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymorechipsahoy is not welcome here anymore
wouldn't going external mean that i would have to change the turbo since it is made with a internal setup? okay I get a new wastegate tomorrow and put it on the hot pipe as its boost source. is it okay to have the BOV on a vacuum line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Go external wastegate.

Also, the diaphrams aren't meant to see vacuum, so you want the hose going to a boost-only source "hotpipe".
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
bov is vacuum/boost yeah. And you can weld the internal gate shut when doing external gate.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
chipsahoy
Leaky Injector

but don't I need some sort of flange for the external wastegate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
bov is vacuum/boost yeah. And you can weld the internal gate shut when doing external gate.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
For external, you'd have to have the manifold modified and a "screamer" pipe welded up. Your best option is to find an HKS adjustable wastegate and hook a boost only source to it. Your cheapest option is to purchase another Garrett wastegate and hook it to a boost only source.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have a Isis 3871r with the wastegate welded shut and a external and a spare stock manifold price 500+ shipping that a very good deal turbo has less then 300 miles internal w/g are booty
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Also, you don't HAVE to have a "screamer pipe" with external gate, you can merge it back into the exhaust...
Old 04-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13mikesr20 View Post
I have a Isis 3871r with the wastegate welded shut and a external and a spare stock manifold price 500+ shipping that a very good deal turbo has less then 300 miles internal w/g are booty
No offense, but this isn't a forsale thread or the correct location for you to hock your shit. Help the guy out or move on your way without selling him a knock off turbo setup.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
No offense, but this isn't a forsale thread or the correct location for you to hock your shit. Help the guy out or move on your way without selling him a knock off turbo setup.
Regardless its a different option of fixing his problem and it being a "different" turbo from Isis it has nothing but good reviews and. Dam good price I don't need it.

To fix your issue if I were in your shoes....

Buy a external wastegate and weld the wastegate shut on your t28 40-60 bucks depending if you know a welder or not

The run a external wastegate manifold or weld a vband flange on your stock exhaust Mani if you have one 60-100 $

Buy a external waste gate with a 12 pound spring possibly a 38mm v band setup 100-350 depends on manufacture

Run a screamer dump pipe or a recurulated atmo pipe 50-300 depending on length

Then tear shit up

Or buy a OEM Nissan actuator for 30-120 depending on condition and hope it lasts

Sorry if I was hawking some crap but it is a good clean setup with under 300 miles cause the motor locked up from a shitty previous owner once again much appologies zilvia
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
chipsahoy
Leaky Injector

I just went with another Garrett 7psi wastegate and ordered a manual boost controller. I'm gonna run my boost source off of my hot pipe vs the big vacuum line coming from the throttle body.