Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
Skinny5racing

Trader Rating: (0)
Skinny5racing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2JZ-GTE VVTi S13 build

What's up everyone! So, this will be a lengthy post/thread as I post updates on my build.

First off, yes, I did do the generic 2jznoshit swap. I've ran SR's and JZ's for almost 6 years now and know them better than RB's but also have plenty of spare JZ/SR's.

This is going to be a competition drift car. Currently in Japan and getting ready to move to Vegas to compete. I have a 350hp SR S13 and looking to bump up, so figured JZ would be the better choice.

Well, here's what I've got going on so far, most of it is sitting in my spare room waiting for corona to chill so I can move my new chassis over to the garage and start slapping stuff together:

-JDM Aristo 2jzgte VVTi motor freshly overhauled
stock internals, new stock head gasket, ACL Race bearings, ARP headstuds,
-BC 272/272 cams
-Haltech Elite 2000
-Wiring Specialties Adapter Harness
-Haltech IC7 display
-Supra store intake manifold
-FID 1000cc injectors
-Tomei FPR
-Supra store t4 turbo manifold
-TurboSmart HyperGate45 EWG
-Borg Warner S362sxe .88 a/r
-Xcessive engine mounts
-Collins A340 CD009 adapter plate
-Collins Adapter CD009 to 2jz S13 transmission cross member
-GKtech relocated shifter
-Clutch Masters 850 twin disc clutch
-BNR32 differential/axles with Nismo 2 way LSD
-Summit fuel cell w/ DW 5.5L triple pump surge tank
-Chase bays power steering line kit
-Chase bays fuel line kit

Few things left to go are suspension, angle kit, roll cage, aero and fire suppression system. Will be posting updates soon, the car will be getting moved this weekend and I can tear into the engine bay to paint prep!
Skinny5racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I approved the post. Please update with some pictures of the parts/progress or this will most likely get deleted.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Skinny5racing

Thanks for the approval! I was trying to upload pics earlier but ran into some error codes. Just setup a photobucket account and got the pics loaded.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 07-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Whats up with s13 in the background? Lol

Nice build
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Skinny5racing

This will be my “grassroots” drift car once I’m in Vegas. It’s a SR20DET running a GTX2871r, pretty simple car, I use it for practice. I’m currently putting together a rebuilt S15 motor to swap into it. Bored up 86.5mm with JE pistons, hks 256/256 cams, Garrett GTX2871r, 740cc injectors and that’s about it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Skinny5racing; 07-20-2020 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Skinny5racing

Quick update: The new turbo housing came in for the S362SXE I’ll be running. Decided to g with a T4 open entry .88, will be seeing how the response is before I make any changes. Still waiting on the cams to finish the motor and will be picking up the shell tonight to begin gutting it.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Skinny5racing

Rolled the car into the garage and began tearing the interior apart. Got my buddy working on the tube front end and mocking things up. Plan this weekend is to prep the bay and chassis for full stitch welding. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Looking good man. Cant wait to see the outcome of it.
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Skinny5racing

Well guys, more parts are rolling in. Received the 6 gallon Radium fuel cell, will be running triple DW200’s, installed my BC stage 3 cams, waiting on two shins for the intake side to finish that and my FIA required fire suppression kit came as well. Gonna focus on stitch welding the engine bay this week and trying to get the 2j and cd009 paired up and dropped in to check fitment.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Skinny5racing

[IMG][/IMG]Well guys, more parts are rolling in. Installed the BC Stage 3 cams, waiting on 2 shims to get the valve lash correct. Radium 6 gallon fuel cell arrived, running 3 DW200’s in that. FIA required/approved Sparco fire suppression kit also arrived. Focusing on stitch welding the engine bay this week. I’d like to have the 2JZ hooked onto the CD009 and dropped in for fitment checks this weekend.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
Skinny5racing

Well, I made the move to Las Vegas but had to ditch the original Silvia plan. What I ended up doing was using my parts car 180sx and throwing most the easy stuff on prior to export. Received the car a couple weeks ago and began stripping it down to pickup where I left off. Working on getting my tools/garage capability back up to start welding but below I’ve listed what I did to this 180sx in preparation.

Kazama +35mm front lower control arms
Kazama tie rods
Kazama tension rods
Custom knuckles
R33 Brake calipers/rotors
New bearings
N Style/GKtech adapter brake lines
Custom steering rack
GTR rear diff 4.1 Final Kaaz 2 way LSD
Final Konnexion coilovers 12kg front 8kg rear with 4kg helper spring
S15 Kazama Promode SS +75mm body kit fitted with one off conversion side skirts

So far the bay has been stripped of the bulk, seams stripped and the radiator supports with tubs removed. Chairslayers removable lower rad support is on the way.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #12
Skinny5racing

Last edited by Skinny5racing; 03-05-2021 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Fixing image links
Old 03-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I can't see the images on the last two posts. You might want to use a different image hosting service because photobucket has pretty aggressive limits on how many images you can host because they want you to pay for their service.

Personally I use imgur.com.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 AM   #14
Skinny5racing

Thanks for the heads up on that! I didn?t verify the pics uploaded, got them loaded this time.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #15
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I dig it! That aero works surprisingly well on an S13.5!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
Skinny5racing

Thanks bud, I wanted to do something as far as the aero goes that's never been done before. Partnered up with Kazama Auto to make it happen as well as most of the suspension. I need to raise the wheel arches on the rear fender, they are sitting way too low. If you look at the pics, it looks slammed but the coilovers are actually maxed out as high as they'll go.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
RedSled
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How did you get the valve so clean , looks vapor blasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny5racing View Post
Thanks for the approval! I was trying to upload pics earlier but ran into some error codes. Just setup a photobucket account and got the pics loaded.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #18
Skinny5racing

All the components were soaked in carb cleaner to remove the bulk of the sludge. After washing that off, I used the drill method and polished each valve with sand paper up to 1000 grit then re-cut/seated them.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #19
95RedM

95RedM is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if you ditched everything or just the chassis. I’m new to 240s but in the miata community the DW200 is known for failing within a year.
95RedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #20
Skinny5racing

Sup guys, so I started to make some forward progress. After stripping the 180sx down, I found a ton of rust in crucial structure points and was afraid they would pass Formula Drift tech and basic structural integrity. So I decided to reshell to another S13 I scooped up in SoCal that was already caged.

I setup shop in my driveway and stripped any remaining seam sealer from the engine bay and wheel wells. Wheel wells were a point of interest as it’s been my experience with 13’s that they frequently crack on the inside by the frame rail/strut tower

After it was all stitched up, I did some sanding, threw down some primer and then hit it with some metallic gunmetal and clear coat.

Got the front suspension swapped over from the 180sx as well as the Tilton pedals and the custom steering column shaft.

I mocked up the front aero and then decided to drop the 2JZ in to verify the engine/transmission would fit before I packed up my welder. Originally I had purchased a Collins Adapter unit for my cd009 to a340 bellhousing conversion but this didn’t work with the Clutch Masters setup I had for the T56 slave cylinder/hydraulic throw out bearing. Luckily when I purchased the clutch it came with the Auto Sports Engineering adapter which I easily swapped out to get things working.

That’s what I accomplished this past weekend. I’m going to do some research on rear mount radiator setups in a hatch. I didn’t like the clearance I had up front with the mishimoto rad with slim fans. I’ve already decided to convert to an electric power steering pump as well and relocate the alternator where the AC compressor was.