Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #91
alexkosheck
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
alexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choicesalexkosheck has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Just Had My KA Dynoed
Intake
Header
Ecu
Pulley
Stock cams and Exhaust
138hp/155q

I'm going to put back in my Jwt cams, and run again.

I'm also looking at running advanced ignition timing up to 23 degrees, coolant bypass, Iridum plugs to keep the temps down from the increased timing. anything else you guys can recommend?

Oh yeah, its Auto.
What ECU are you running?

Cuz I'm on almost the same setup as you (no pulley but 5spd). I want more power, but I want to maintain daily driver, so I was wondering what other bolt-ons/minor mods that I can put on (NOT EXHAUST, I don't want heat from the cops) to increase power a bit.
alexkosheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #92
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkosheck View Post
What ECU are you running?

Cuz I'm on almost the same setup as you (no pulley but 5spd). I want more power, but I want to maintain daily driver, so I was wondering what other bolt-ons/minor mods that I can put on (NOT EXHAUST, I don't want heat from the cops) to increase power a bit.
I'll tell you this, The dyno Proves what I said all along, stock cams blow Hard core on these cars. Even With Cams, I'd Estimate I'd be in the High 140's, low 150's (and thats with better weather, advandced Ignition timing, Proper gapped plugs) But the ehaust Would Offer Really nice gains on top of all I have. If You don't want to be Hounded By the cops, a 2.5 Catback is quieter, and Will offer similar gains.

I'm hoping With everything above, Plus a 3.0 Catback, I'll touch the 160whp mark. Which is just enough for me.

Btw, for those who asked.
The ECU and Cams (not on this motor yet) Are JWT for the record.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #93
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
For the Record, why didn't the fag who Neg Repped Me leave his Name. Idiot. I chose to mod my car for me, and not for you.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #94
swayray
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
swayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I'll tell you this, The dyno Proves what I said all along, stock cams blow Hard core on these cars. Even With Cams, I'd Estimate I'd be in the High 140's, low 150's (and thats with better weather, advandced Ignition timing, Proper gapped plugs) But the ehaust Would Offer Really nice gains on top of all I have. If You don't want to be Hounded By the cops, a 2.5 Catback is quieter, and Will offer similar gains.

I'm hoping With everything above, Plus a 3.0 Catback, I'll touch the 160whp mark. Which is just enough for me.

Btw, for those who asked.
The ECU and Cams (not on this motor yet) Are JWT for the record.
what kind of dyno was that on?

because on a dyno pack a 92 ka24de w/ just an injen intake w/ extension, hotshot headers, hi-flow cat... nvidia catback (no resonator) jwt ecu managed to make 146 whp...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #95
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayray View Post
what kind of dyno was that on?

because on a dyno pack a 92 ka24de w/ just an injen intake w/ extension, hotshot headers, hi-flow cat... nvidia catback (no resonator) jwt ecu managed to make 146 whp...

Doesn't the Dynopack Rate at the Hubs, and Not the wheels?
Anyhow, Like I said, Completely Stock Cat, and 1.75" Exhaust, and Automatic Trans. Not to mention the Rediculous heavy 50lb Wheel and tire combo (Sentra SE-R wheels).
Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #96
swayray
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
swayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
oh yeah.. i mean rear hub hp... i think its 15 hp more since there's no drag from the wheels...

wow... auto + stock cat/exhaust... that's pretty good!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #97
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

I'm hoping for 155whp After cams and exhaust
Old 07-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #98
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
there needs to be more updating on this thread,

as of right now im rebuilding a sohc with a hybridka cam spec of
Intake 270 duration, .443" Lift
Exhaust 272 duration, .448" Lift
with springs and stainless steel stock sized valves
with head work.

if anyone has swapped out pistons please post up some info, id like to know what kind of numbers you got with what ever pistons u used... keep in mind that im using nissan oem pistons. so no aftermarket performance ones please

ill post results when im done.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #99
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
I guess theres some kind of plenum thing in the intake manifold on the Ka-E that if you take out ads a few horses, but I dont actually know what it is, and I cant find anything anywhere about it and what it does. Only thing i found is that it slows the air down, but that doesnt make sense. Maybe i suck at searching. But if anyone knows what im talking about, id like to know. Even if it does add power i probably wont take it out, but its just bugging me i dont know.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #100
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
what it is, is a secondary throttle . alot of cars have it mid way thru the intake manifold.. but on the sohc its mainly at the edge of the flange where its bolted down next to the head... takes a few minutes to take out... once u have the manifold off the head..just unscrew the plates off the rod, then slide the rod out... i highly suggest jb welding the holes and sanding it smooth... reason for this is for no vacuum leak...
Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #101
2_fast_240
Zilvia Member

2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore
And its acually on all s13s, not just sohc. Just to clarify.
2_fast_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:40 AM   #102
2_fast_240
Zilvia Member

2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_fast_240 View Post
And its acually on all s13s, not just sohc. Just to clarify.
Whoever neg reped me on this is a douche bag. Saying "you wasted your post". WTF. This is suppose to be information about the KA from what I understand. The two posts above made it sound like the only KA's with the butterflys were SOHC. Just trying to help people out. But, who cares right. This can be deleted now for all I care, just wanted to put that out there.
2_fast_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #103
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Best way to tell if your cat Flows like shit? I'm putting my cams back in, in a few weeks, and then I'm going to head back to the dyno, and un-bolt the exhuast, and run Open header. (if they will allow it) Hopefully, I put down so respectable numbers.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #104
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
ok heres my situation...i dont wanna deal with turbo or super charger (ATM)

and im ripping out my s14 KA from my 90 chassis (runs and sounds like shit) and dropping in another (much better less milage ) s14 KA in there...

wut to do with the S14KA i ripped out...im really considering building it for N/A powah!!

once its out im cleaning up the rear of the mani (i.e. emissions B.S.) and since its already running cruddy (Compressions low... cant figure out why) i wanna rebuild it for some fun

ima have aroung 900-1k worth of funds for this
i wanna get bang for buck basically

but im very limited in my knowledge of cars in general (no matter how many times i read books about them) that i need some serious help here

car already has a single piece drive shaft and KAAZ 2 way dropped in...which i did notice a nice change in response and Exedy stage 1 clutch and 2.5'' pipping wiht high flow cat,

so im wondering once i rip this fucken thing apart...what the best route to take to gain some ponies on this thing...ive been debating wether to do the s13 cams and some new lifters and springs on its ( probly some aftermarket ones if the price is worth the gain) rebuild...

any suggestions id love to hear...

i wouldnt mind doing the iTb's set up....but i live in the heart of L.A. ... nuff said on that
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #105
bntmoore

bntmoore is an unknown quantity at this point
if i was you i would just save up for a full sr20det swap, cuz after you rebuild your old ka your not gonna have too much $$ left to do any worth while upgrades. just pic up a sr and slowly build that until your ready to swap again.
bntmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #106
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitexsound View Post
for those serious ppl, a friend of mine has a gt3 motor up for sale... if anyone is serious please pm me. CR 13:1.. i believe its setup for a v band style belt.. so either your going to have to fab up ur own pulley or youd have to by one... the motor is setup for dry sump already... this is all thru WOM from a friend...

what the hell are u posting that here for......

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
drifting.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #107
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
Im beginning to think a lot of people on this forum are illiterate...does anyone read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff240sx View Post
I'll do this but once.

DO NOT POST QUESTION IN THIS THREAD
DO NOT BS IN THIS THREAD

Seriously. I deleted 7/12 posts here because they were worthless. Cut the shit out, or I'm going to lock and unstick this.
-Jeff
theres like 3pages of questions here
eastcoastS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 AM   #108
Shiggz180

Shiggz180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Shiggz180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
ok heres my situation...i dont wanna deal with turbo or super charger (ATM)

and im ripping out my s14 KA from my 90 chassis (runs and sounds like shit) and dropping in another (much better less milage ) s14 KA in there...

wut to do with the S14KA i ripped out...im really considering building it for N/A powah!!

once its out im cleaning up the rear of the mani (i.e. emissions B.S.) and since its already running cruddy (Compressions low... cant figure out why) i wanna rebuild it for some fun

ima have aroung 900-1k worth of funds for this
i wanna get bang for buck basically

but im very limited in my knowledge of cars in general (no matter how many times i read books about them) that i need some serious help here

car already has a single piece drive shaft and KAAZ 2 way dropped in...which i did notice a nice change in response and Exedy stage 1 clutch and 2.5'' pipping wiht high flow cat,

so im wondering once i rip this fucken thing apart...what the best route to take to gain some ponies on this thing...ive been debating wether to do the s13 cams and some new lifters and springs on its ( probly some aftermarket ones if the price is worth the gain) rebuild...

any suggestions id love to hear...

i wouldnt mind doing the iTb's set up....but i live in the heart of L.A. ... nuff said on that
you could do ITB's but it takes alot of fabrication and theyll probably run you at least $1000 not to mention the ecu mods for the it, if your lookin for a NA build for under $1000 id go with Brian Crower stage 3 cams (or stage 2 depending if its gonna be ur daily or weekend warrior) new BC springs and JWT ecu that should run about $1360 but the ECU should give you pretty good gains
Shiggz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #109
sav180
Leaky Injector

sav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choices
efi specailist make custom ecu's for about 305 for all motor setup n turbo..im thinking about picking one up in a week or to.

Product Information
This upgrade is for 1991-1994 KA24DE running all motor setup. This will be a custom tune specific to different cams, high compression pistons, and headwork. The fuel and timing maps are remapped and optimize for all motor KA24DE. Speed limit is removed and the rev limit is raised. Intake, header, and exhaust are recommended for this setup.
Price: $305.00

sounds pretty good so im gonna give them a try n see how much better they are than jwt
sav180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #110
sav180
Leaky Injector

sav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choicessav180 has made poor choices
Shiggz180 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1618941", true);

quote:
you could do ITB's but it takes alot of fabrication and theyll probably run you at least $1000 not to mention the ecu mods for the it, if your lookin for a NA build for under $1000 id go with Brian Crower stage 3 cams (or stage 2 depending if its gonna be ur daily or weekend warrior) new BC springs and JWT ecu that should run about $1360 but the ECU should give you pretty good gains

try n spend a extra 400 n get some 11.0.1 high comp pistons from JE should give you some good power gains on top of that.im runnin those on my set up now.im just tryin to find a good intake manifold.thinking about getting a

alot of guy from the ka-t.org are runnin those.so hopefully one of us N/A ka hopefulls will put out some good #'s and get more people to do the N/A setup on the ka and kill off the haters ..

Last edited by sav180; 11-13-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: messed up
Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #111
sav180
Leaky Injector

you should check out pdm they got a 240sx thats pushing out almost 200hp on stock internals and dyno chart to prove it...

"ECU tune with cold air intake, header, exhaust and running 104 octane we found 177 RWHP and 182 ft/lbs Torque.
All these numbers were found on the engine with stock internals and 250 000kms on the engine already.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #112
Shiggz180

Shiggz180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Shiggz180
try n spend a extra 400 n get some 11.0.1 high comp pistons from JE should give you some good power gains on top of that.im runnin those on my set up now.im just tryin to find a good intake manifold.thinking about getting a

alot of guy from the ka-t.org are runnin those.so hopefully one of us N/A ka hopefulls will put out some good #'s and get more people to do the N/A setup on the ka and kill off the haters ..[/quote]

o man hey what kinda power gains did you get with the JE 11:1 pistons cause i was thinking about getting those but i need to find some one to bore out the engine cause they only come oversized right? most impressive intake plenum, ive been looking for a good intake manifold but couldnt find one but this one looks pretty good. that ecu sounds good, do you have a link?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #113
sav180
Leaky Injector

EFI Specialist (Powered by CubeCart)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #114
sav180
Leaky Injector

thats for the ecu..i didnt get a chance 2 dyno it yet
Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #115
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Can we get a mod to clean this shit up? and also:

Lets have a discussion on the formula for finding the right cam duration.
Is it better to have higher lift duration on the intake or exhaust side? Why?

I've heard preaching of the 240/248 but I've also heard the 248/232 is better.

Lets shed some light.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #116
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav180 View Post
try n spend a extra 400 n get some 11.0.1 high comp pistons from JE should give you some good power gains on top of that
How would the Wiseco 90.5mm(Disp. = 2470) bore 10.5:1 C/R Pistons hold up to the JE 89.5mm(Disp. 2415) 11.0:1 C/R Pistons?
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #117
sav180
Leaky Injector

hmm i would say it depends on other parts u have and the tuning
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #118
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
Can we get a mod to clean this shit up? and also:

Lets have a discussion on the formula for finding the right cam duration.
Is it better to have higher lift duration on the intake or exhaust side? Why?

I've heard preaching of the 240/248 but I've also heard the 248/232 is better.

Lets shed some light.
longer duration less lift, high compression..... doesnt leave alot of room for high lift cams.... plus the head design is pretty tight...as in clearance.... just get a stock cam and have elgin in santa rosa,ca or schneiders in so cal.... make some custom grinds and see what happens...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #119
twistedlanes

twistedlanes is an unknown quantity at this point
For you guys running itb setups...do you have filters on the or run them open like that?
twistedlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #120
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Most run open
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote