Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #61
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak27 View Post
If everything goes as planned I am hoping to have it on a dyno by the end of next week. Also, are you speaking of the stock cast manifold that they are attaching the wastegate to? If so do you know the process they are using to attach? I just welded one up for an rb motor, and used a stainless tube on the top of the mani. It was my first time working with cast but it seemed to work well. I do know that cast isnt the easiest to attach a disssimilar metal to, and if not done with the right material can can lead to cracks. I used 99ni rod to weld it up. Just looking for more info on working with these materials, thanks.
I personally do not know the rod or settings Jay uses with that stuff, I end up helping afterhours with installations and mock up stuff. He's the welder, and while I should know more (as it's in my personality) it's usually so hectic that I don't have time to ask the questions as we're getting cars in and out, or setting up equipment)

I can ask him though, and send you a PM.

Also, anxiously awaiting your dyno work. Did you previously dyno the car with a 2871?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #62
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Compressor map

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/release...366-1_comp.jpg

"New GTX2863R dual ball bearing turbo with ultra high flow compressor wheel featuring Garrett 11-Blade technology. Turbine Housing is sold separately and is the same as one used on GT2871R using 53.86mm 76 trim turbine wheel "

They are calling it a 2863 on the 2867 page, which makes me think fail cut and paste job. Also, here, "http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release110101-1.html" it says "GTX2876R 55 Trim" and points to this map, "2867" which is apparently another fail identification.

the gt2876r compressor is this turbo:

And if so... the old gt2876 offers slightly more power potential than the 2867 according to the map, about 10 horsepower more for what its worth. Doesnt the 2871r tap around 45lb/min?
All of these turbos appear to flow within about 30-50 horsepower of each other. But that says nothing about boost characteristics... real world results are about more than just peak power potential.
->in for a dyno
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #63
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
And if so... the old gt2876 offers slightly more power potential than the 2867 according to the map, about 10 horsepower more for what its worth. Doesnt the 2871r tap around 45lb/min?
All of these turbos appear to flow within about 30-50 horsepower of each other. But that says nothing about boost characteristics... real world results are about more than just peak power potential.
->in for a dyno

It seems though most of the math/research/questions I've asked and gone over, that this turbo will produce more power at the same boost, but at the same time also offer a higher boost ability than the current 2871r.

As it stands, I would go as far as to say that on a pump gas car, that 425ish whp is achievable at 22ish psi of boost on our engines (or an efficient 2.0) at the maximum with the current 2871r platform, before it starts entering the land of simply blowing hot air with quickly diminishing efficiency.

The 2867 however seems to change that, as I think it would support 450ish at 25-26 psi, while still being efficient and not becoming a air torch.

With that all considered the 2867 also has a smaller/better deisnged wheel, which 'on paper' points to quicker spool, but more importantly faster off throttle response (which is more important to me being a track guy). It seems that it will match the 28RS in that department, which is awesome, as there is ZERO doubt from my own experience that the 28RS rips up into boost much quicker than the 2871r, despite the 'over rpm' graphs being similar.

Now the 2863 is more of a 'hot rodded' 28RS, I think guys should see 375 on that turbo, however it does seem to run out of some oomph in terms of airflow.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #64
inis

Trader Rating: (0)
inis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Where the heck did you pull this outta your ass from? The GTX2876 will NOT bolt into a GT2871R.... The housings are not interchangeable cause the compressor wheel is different. Already checked with someone from Garrett....
way to introduce yourself.

inis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #65
Nismo_sam
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Nismo_sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Patiently waiting for update....

Ok not really, I really can't wait to see what this thing can do!
Nismo_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #66
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
DO you think there would be enough room to fit a MVS, if the 44mm end was cut from the turbine housing and a 38mm flange was added. maybe even moving the flange closer to the housing! You stated that there was a little over 4" to the strut tower and the MVS(38) is 3.7" if i remember right. then the only other thing would be the top banjo fitting.
Maybe little hammer massaging to the tower could give a little room.

I really just don't like how clustered the 90 looks, if it could come off the housing like it was intended it would look cleaner!
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #67
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
DO you think there would be enough room to fit a MVS, if the 44mm end was cut from the turbine housing and a 38mm flange was added. maybe even moving the flange closer to the housing! You stated that there was a little over 4" to the strut tower and the MVS(38) is 3.7" if i remember right. then the only other thing would be the top banjo fitting.
Maybe little hammer massaging to the tower could give a little room.

I really just don't like how clustered the 90 looks, if it could come off the housing like it was intended it would look cleaner!
It will still be a major PITA and need to get clocked or something. I wouldn't use a 2 bolt hard flange there either, due to constraints and fab ability of a dump pipe.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #68
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
There's a couple of cars around here that have had that housing installed, but have had 90 degree elbows mounted on the v-band and some other wastegate mounted on the end of the 90, then custom fabbed dump tubes. I rode in one built S15 with this configuration and it was impressive, which drove me to go the same route.

My car will be done in the next few days and I will be posting pictures of my EWG housing installation, since there are very few posted online.
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #69
boostfreak27

boostfreak27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for the lack of an update. My car is now at G-Dimension waiting to get tunned. So hopefully tomorrow I can give a update with power numbers!!!!
boostfreak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #70
Boosted_gli

Boosted_gli is an unknown quantity at this point
i have been watching this page and i don't even own any of the cars on this sight. I have a jetta 1.8t and the shop its at is in the process of installing one of these turbos. Hope to see decent numbers!
Boosted_gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #71
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_gli View Post
i have been watching this page and i don't even own any of the cars on this sight. I have a jetta 1.8t and the shop its at is in the process of installing one of these turbos. Hope to see decent numbers!
Just remember the 1.8t is going to obviously require more boost and be slightly laggier than the SR 2.0, but it's a decent reference. I know 28RS 1.8t cars are really fun, so the 2867 should be good!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #72
Boosted_gli

Boosted_gli is an unknown quantity at this point
i had a GT3071r on before and blew the turbo. With the 3071r i saw 28psi around 4300rpm.. With some water/meth and good tuning i think some decent numbers will come from my car as well.
Boosted_gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #73
boostfreak27

So I'm having an idle issue with my car. If I set the power fc to around 68% for the injectors the car idles fine. But when I run them at 50%, as they should be run, the car dies out. They are 740s so I'm sure they are supposed to be run at 50%. Not sure whats going on but hopefully i can figure it out soon.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #74
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak27 View Post
So I'm having an idle issue with my car. If I set the power fc to around 68% for the injectors the car idles fine. But when I run them at 50%, as they should be run, the car dies out. They are 740s so I'm sure they are supposed to be run at 50%. Not sure whats going on but hopefully i can figure it out soon.
Injector lag time?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #75
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Could also be your fuel pump going. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Also, I've tuned Haltech but I'm not too familiar with power FC's so when you say 50%/68% what exactly is that in reference to?

And thanks for starting this thread. I'm very excited to see what this turbo can do.
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #76
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
get that ish dynoed, i'm pretty sure it will turn up some good numbers.. here is a GTX3582 i'm throwing on the RB.. ) cant wait to hear this bitch rip..
hybrid_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #77
boostfreak27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Could also be your fuel pump going. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Also, I've tuned Haltech but I'm not too familiar with power FC's so when you say 50%/68% what exactly is that in reference to?

And thanks for starting this thread. I'm very excited to see what this turbo can do.
No i do not have a fuel pressure gauge on it. The %numbers are the INJ Corretion settings on the power f/c . Thenumber is found by dividing the stock size inj by the new inj size. I believe the inj latency correction is set to -0.04.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #78
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Ah so 370/740 = .5, makes sense.

Can you adjust that number with rpm? Something that you could set it at 68% for idle rpm and 50% at redline with it being linear in between?

I still think it might be the pump if it's not just a power fc issue. You do have an upgraded pump of some sort, right? And is it relatively new?

Also, as was said, it could just be different latency. Try setting the injector correction to 50% as expected and then adjusting the latency until you get a good idle and see how it runs then.

Here are some times for you to give you an idea of a normal range:
Power FC Injector settings - Get your car drivable to get it to your tuner - Hardtuned.net

Also, is your battery/alternator good? I ask because injector latency changes with voltage.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #79
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
injector latency should be around 800-900µs with these injectors, and is around 350-400 with stock ones. If it dies near idle it surely is that. I dont understand powerFC latency setting but i guess it could help.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #80
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
I received this turbo last week, I had 2 weeks to test it and return it. I haven't even removed my turbo yet! I'll call and ask for a couple more weeks, but i'm gonna repackage it for return. I was all hyped then it just slipped my mind. Is there anyone with a 4cyl running this turbo with dynograph and data, also coming from a gt2871r making the average power 370-410hp and 350-380tq Trying to be all scientific and shit!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #81
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
I received this turbo last week, I had 2 weeks to test it and return it. I haven't even removed my turbo yet! I'll call and ask for a couple more weeks, but i'm gonna repackage it for return. I was all hyped then it just slipped my mind. Is there anyone with a 4cyl running this turbo with dynograph and data, also coming from a gt2871r making the average power 370-410hp and 350-380tq Trying to be all scientific and shit!
I think boostfreak27 here is the closest we are to having a gt2871 to gtx2867 comparison although I'm not sure if he has a dyno from when he had his gt2871.
Any chance of you dynoing yours?

And people make 350-380tq on a gt2871? I thought it was more around 330-340tq. I'm mainly going off of codyace's which did 333tq.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #82
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Quote:
I think boostfreak27 here is the closest we are to having a gt2871 to gtx2867 comparison although I'm not sure if he has a dyno from when he had his gt2871.
Any chance of you dynoing yours?

And people make 350-380tq on a gt2871? I thought it was more around 330-340tq. I'm mainly going off of codyace's which did 333tq.
You actually made me look at my graph again, lol 357tq(peak)
I really don't want to get into my power vs that guys. I'm just interested in the data, and whether it'll be wise to upgrade from a certain turbo or bypass it all together. Kinda like the 2540r I hate that turbo!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #83
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Sweet number there man, that gives me a higher goal to shoot for when I finally get around to tuning my gt2871. I have the model with the bolt on intake rather than the 3" opening tho. If I'm not mistaken, that one has a little less power, right?

And yeah, I'm excited to get some hard numbers on this thing too. I may be looking at trading up if it puts on a solid showing.

boostfreak27: Still having idle issues after adjusting latency?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #84
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Sweet number there man, that gives me a higher goal to shoot for when I finally get around to tuning my gt2871. I have the model with the bolt on intake rather than the 3" opening tho. If I'm not mistaken, that one has a little less power, right?
That's why i'm trying to gather data. The gt2871r has so many flavors and i've only tried 3. The 1st. Was a.48 trim weak sauce. The 2nd was a .56 trim /w 3in intake. Great choice. And 3.my bastardize version. Actually i think obee might have had one of the earlier versions, and they kinda sucked.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Vibrant!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #85
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

what trims did they make the bolt on one in and how would I go about determining which mine is?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #86
cotbu
Post Whore!

I think it came standard on the older .48, but it's an option for them all. We're talking about the compressor housing, right?

1. Read your tag.
2. Measure your wheels
3. Dyno? Maybe...

Sent from my Highly Tuned Vibrant!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #87
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, compressor housing is what I'm talking about. I wasn't aware that they made the bolt on version for all trims, good to know.
I'll have to check the tag when I'm back home.

EDIT: I'm only seeing the bolt on one in 52 trim on Garrett's site

Last edited by LuckyX2; 02-27-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #88
boostfreak27

Haven't had time to check lag time on injectors yet. Hopefully tomorrow. My daily broke today so had to fix that haha. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #89
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

The suspense is killing me here! Oh well, sorry to hear about your daily and thanks for the update.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #90
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates anywhere on the net?