Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Red Top 180

Trader Rating: (0)
Red Top 180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 sr20det vs s14 sr20de

Hey guys long story short I have 2 motors
One s13 redtop sr20det with a run bearing and no intake manifold and a s14 sr20de complete running motor. Basically trying to figure out what combination is best while reusing as many parts. I was thinking about putting the DET rods and pistons in the de motor, but have heard the DE heads don't flow as much and have smaller valves and stuff, is this true?
Red Top 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
google the casting numbers and theres a good post out there with the differences
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Use the rods, pistons and crank from the DET motor. Spend the coin to have it fixed/polished. The DET crank is forged from the factory and is 8CW vs 4CW of the NA. The DET head has sodium filled valves, which help mitigate heat better than the NA valves. As far as flow numbers, they are mostly identical. The NA will have higher lift, duration and smaller valve stems helping flow.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Weird I thought only the fwd de cranks had the 4cw configuration and thought all rwd cranks were 8cw.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Weird I thought only the fwd de cranks had the 4cw configuration and thought all rwd cranks were 8cw.
You may be right and I think you are. My brain naturally goes to 4CW for SR NA cranks. The VE’s come with 4CW from the factory as well.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

iirc the na crank is also factory knife edged, so a cheap upgrade...will the det manifold bolt to the na head tho?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You may be right and I think you are. My brain naturally goes to 4CW for SR NA cranks. The VE’s come with 4CW from the factory as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
iirc the na crank is also factory knife edged, so a cheap upgrade...will the det manifold bolt to the na head tho?
Yeah, only fwd sr20de's got the 4cw crankshaft. I don't believe it's really "knife edged" per say, but it is much lighter which would give it that quicker revving characteristic. Personally I wouldn't consider it an upgrade, per say. There are definitely strength differences between 4cw and 8cw, although there are fwd guys that have made respectable power on 4cw.

DE/DET or RWD/FWD the exhaust manifold flange is all the same. Only ones that are slightly different on the exhaust side are VE/VET cylinder heads. And even then they're close enough that stuff can be modified to work.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

that's good to know! i have never used some of those parts so glad to have additional input!
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #9
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
going to bump this to update some information. FWD sr20de's had the 8CW crank. The only de that came with the 4CW crank was the roller rocker in the last years of the G20. The VE 2.0 out of the P11 is 4CW, but the 20V is a 8CW. SR16 is also 8CW but that crank is different.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote