Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #121
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (8)
Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brian W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Naw, more like 1.16

Yeah I would say more like 420 range

Whe I did 375 on the DD I did 419 on the DJ

Back to Back

yeah, well even still i wouldnt say 420whp is a low # for my setup at all. that was with a 15% correction. a 13% correction would be 420whp.

and we probably are the closest Dyno Dynamics to you. feel free to shoot me an email or give us a call. our prices on dyno time are reasonable for sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #122
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
yeah, well even still i wouldnt say 420whp is a low # for my setup at all. that was with a 15% correction. a 13% correction would be 420whp.

and we probably are the closest Dyno Dynamics to you. feel free to shoot me an email or give us a call. our prices on dyno time are reasonable for sure.
420 sounds more right. Ive seen 458 on the .86 which is what you get close to if you do the multiplication. Im not sure what dyno that was on though.

Anyone else have problems with Crower 272's post up please because every tuner I have been to has been stumped.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #123
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
420 sounds more right. Ive seen 458 on the .86 which is what you get close to if you do the multiplication. Im not sure what dyno that was on though.
Im pretty sure I saw the same graph on Freshalloy and it was a DynoJet

Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #124
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen that also, But the setup I was reffering to was a guy up in Jersey. I saw his car in person

A question for those with or familiar with 272's. What type of vac numbers at idle. I'm at 7-9 no more than 10 and Im sure thats wrong hinting to an issue with these cams.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #125
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
-10 is about right at idle.

If your using an auto-meter gauge who knows, those things are soo far off most of the time.

My gauge will read like 24 psi sometimes, and my haltech data log and the dyno will both ready a spike no higher than 19 psi :ghey:
Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #126
DanDriftS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DanDriftS13 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
-10 sounds about right for 272's because I have crower 264's in mine and I'm seeing about 16-17 vacuum at idle.
DanDriftS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #127
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i get what dandrifts13 gets - i think anyways - my shits in bar.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #128
DanDriftS13
Leaky Injector

DanDriftS13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
i get what dandrifts13 gets - i think anyways - my shits in bar.
a tad more than 1bar?
DanDriftS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #129
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
somethin like that its too cold to start that stupid thing up - plus its all unpainted so i dont even wanna look at it.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #130
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
somethin like that its too cold to start that stupid thing up - plus its all unpainted so i dont even wanna look at it.
Lol, your non paint looks better than my 'paint.'
Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #131
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Quote:

If your using an auto-meter gauge who knows, those things are soo far off most of the time.

My gauge will read like 24 psi sometimes, and my haltech data log and the dyno will both ready a spike no higher than 19 psi :ghey:
I never got the details of your setup. What cams are you using?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #132
s13envy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nices13envy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to s13envy Send a message via AIM to s13envy Send a message via MSN to s13envy Send a message via Yahoo to s13envy
the info i gave about the cams came from steward engines. The same guys that build heads and blocks for enjuku racing.
s13envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #133
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13envy View Post
the info i gave about the cams came from steward engines. The same guys that build heads and blocks for enjuku racing.

Can you give me specifics? I contacted BC and they arent being very receptive. Im going to a machine shop to get them looked over, but a little more info would be helpful.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #134
rotation3x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
rotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rotation3x
Im getting my motor back in my car this weekend or next weekend. I got the gt2871r .64 and I was kinda wondering what to expect from it with stock cams and manifolds. Eventually I plan to get the BC 264's since it will be street driven.

Anyone know what the stock setting is on the 2871's wastegate actuator and how much boost it can handle?
rotation3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #135
serturbo
Leaky Injector

serturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't it set to 1 bar? I'll know for sure when I get my engine installed. I've seen people mention that the max psi is about 18-21.
serturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #136
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

Never had an issue with any of my Autometers or VDO's when compared with logging values with the Innovate LM1 and the map sensor....I should really get that setup back together and use it on a dyno run mmmm MAF car with logged boost hotness. What Autometer version/type where you using Stevie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotation3x View Post
Im getting my motor back in my car this weekend or next weekend. I got the gt2871r .64 and I was kinda wondering what to expect from it with stock cams and manifolds. Eventually I plan to get the BC 264's since it will be street driven.
It'll run ok, make the tradiational 310-330 whp....quick spooler, but def a turbo that LOVES low 26x duration cams.

Quote:
Anyone know what the stock setting is on the 2871's wastegate actuator and how much boost it can handle?
Reliably? Maybe about one bar. I've been able to boost 19-20 with just the wastegate...that's creeping and holding to redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Anyone else have problems with Crower 272's post up please because every tuner I have been to has been stumped.
I know FWD guys using the cams have had to spend some time dialing them in with cam gears to get them to work right. Not sure why'd you want 272's with a t2 based turbo though....

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #137
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
I've had problems with my .86 spiking. trying to get it to hold 20psi it wants to shoot to 25 and bounce. (boost cut on the standalone is set to 22 now and I haven't messed with it in a few days due to other issues with the car) But I know ((SR)) Kelly was having a similar issue with that boost level. I'm starting to wonder if the internal wastegate isn't up to holding that.

bottom mount T25 flanged internal wastegate. HKS adjustable wastegate actuator set to 10psi.

I hit 345hp (stock cams, on a dynojet) with it spiking like that.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #138
DrifterProdigy85
Leaky Injector

DrifterProdigy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DrifterProdigy85
I run Tomei 270 Solid Cams on my 2871R .86 setup. There really not that bad. You can feel the difference when the turbo hits full boost to when you hit peak tq though. Hits around 20psi on the street below 4500rpm and tq feels the hardest around 5500rpm. Power feels like it comes on smoother than it used to with the 264 cams. Less wheel spin going from a 2nd gear roll but if you clutch kick, the tires spin like crazy. I should dyno this setup before i stick my GT3567R setup on. I raced a new M5 on the highway last weekend and I pulled around 6 car lengths from 60mph to 120mph. Guy was pretty surprised. My setup is pretty close to Brian W. except i have a P&P Head, Valve Job, and Ichiba Vers. II Exh. Mani.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #139
rotation3x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
rotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choicesrotation3x has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rotation3x
At what boost level does the stock 370cc injectors and maf max out with the 2871r .64?
rotation3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #140
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

I wouldn't run more than 12-14 psi on stock injectors. But thats just me.

Dumping 740's and going with Sard 850's, so you can buy mine if you want.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #141
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
theresa a thread on fresh alloy in the basic section on running the GT2871r one stock stuff. general consensus. don't bother. get your fuel and ignition fuel control set up first. unless your turbo is absolutely dead.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #142
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterProdigy85 View Post
I run Tomei 270 Solid Cams on my 2871R .86 setup. There really not that bad. You can feel the difference when the turbo hits full boost to when you hit peak tq though. Hits around 20psi on the street below 4500rpm and tq feels the hardest around 5500rpm. Power feels like it comes on smoother than it used to with the 264 cams. Less wheel spin going from a 2nd gear roll but if you clutch kick, the tires spin like crazy. I should dyno this setup before i stick my GT3567R setup on. I raced a new M5 on the highway last weekend and I pulled around 6 car lengths from 60mph to 120mph. Guy was pretty surprised. My setup is pretty close to Brian W. except i have a P&P Head, Valve Job, and Ichiba Vers. II Exh. Mani.
Im not a really big fan of the .86 on stock displacement for this reason.

Peak torque for a lot of t3/t4 cars Ive tuned comes on before this even with high duration cams (like 272).

But personally I feel the benefit of having a bottom mount with a T28 trim family wheel is to have it very fast spooling and torque building-style of power band.

I would wager that a properly tuned GT3071R with .63 housing will poop all over the .86 housing 2871R.

note exibit A

car made about 375 whp on a dynojet , but just note the point where the curve builds to peak torque.

and compare it to most .86 graphs, this is also a GT3076R which is even larger and mis-matched wheels on the CHRA
Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #143
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
here's my setup

S14 SR
Crower rods
Weisco forged pistons bored .020 over.
HKS cams 264's
rebuilt head
GT2871R .64
stock intake and exhaust manifold
Hybrid IC
Apexi intake
Z32 MAF
740cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi 3 in exhaust
Greddy elbow and down pipe
megan test pipe
Tuned with Apexi power FC

So at 1.3 BAR she made 363 whp and 353 tq w/ 93 octane

What do you guys think? I was hoping for at least 380, maby closer to 400.

Also wierd dip around 5k huh? any idea's on this?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #144
steve shadows
Post Whore!

what is the boost data logging in that dip?

What is boost doing there? check if boost is dipping.

If it's not it's a bad tune. Seems kind of choppy anyways

also is that an .86 Housing? seems very fast spooling
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #145
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
i edited, its .64.... dont know what the boost is doin i'll have to check with the guy who tuned it... Also just realized it was tuned with a gutted cat not the test pipe i installed afterwards... if that makes a difference (minimal i'm sure)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #146
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedNewTires View Post
i edited, its .64.... dont know what the boost is doin i'll have to check with the guy who tuned it... Also just realized it was tuned with a gutted cat not the test pipe i installed afterwards... if that makes a difference (minimal i'm sure)
That's not your problem. (gutted cat)

The problem is bad tuning (timing map) Like he did not adjust where VTC came on (if you still have it operating on the motor)

or boost is bleeding off and then coming back, Im havinga similar problem right now with an external wg, the solenoid didnt have enough start duty so it would overcorrected when peak boost came on in mid-range

You tuner should have a data file of the run where youguys logged boost over RPM.

should...at least
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #147
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

yea i just meant a difference in some of the power... i know that has nothing to do with the dip.

Every now and then it'll over boost and it cuts itself out, esp when its cold outside. I have a dual stage MBC that has a lil solenoid switch, i've got it set for 1 bar and 1.3 bars hi/lo

I'll check with the tuner if he has the boost data but doubt it, its been almost a year and well, i just dont know.... Sure wish there was a good nissan tuner in dallas tx... anyone know of a good one?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #148
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Not off the top of my head. Texas has a lot of good tuners, so does Florida and Virginian/ PA

I would junk the manual boost controller, they are trash for effectivey controlling smaller bottom mount turbos with internal wastgates.

I would get the PFC boost solenoid and use that in conjunction with the PFC unit. In my experience this seems to be the best closed loop bc to manage those smaller turbos.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #149
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steve, have you seen any issues with the stock internal wastegates not holding 20psi? mine seems to flutter between 20-25 when I try and set the HKS EVC. 15 holds fine. actuator is set at 10. alot of this has me wanting to get the .64 housing and swap out. (i was supposed to be getting a .64 when i bought mine. got an .86 instead)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #150
steve shadows
Post Whore!

EVC?

I think the greddy Profec B and the PFC are the best in my experience in controlling the boost spike or drop off.

other than that you can try porting the wg door hole a little bit and like you said pre-loading your adjustable wg.