Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
K24-T hold the A

I'm finally ready to share this build now that able to get back to working on it come next month. Anyways, last year i decided to ditch my ~325whp KA24DE-T after blowing the rings off a stock block for the second time (too lazy to open up the ring gap) and upgrade to K24A2. At time the i didn't really have much going on other then Riding Unemployment. The auto shop i was working for fired me for enlisting. Illegal I know but the common wealth of VA is a "right to work state". So while waiting in DEP to go to Navy Boot Camp, all i did was work on this swap, sidework and replace the body on my fathers 73' spitfire. so i I parted out my KA-T and started getting ordering the first wave of parts.

I started out with making the oil pan fit while I waited on the tranny adapter. fitting the oil pan and oil pump is a big placement problem as with how far back i wanted it, the pick up would be in the subframe. I cut and welded the pickup shorter to get it in about the same location as a KA/SR would be.

Sometime in the build I found the perfect turbo for 500$ to kick off this build, a Borg Warner S257SX-E twin scroll 1.0 A/R. Here it is next to a RB25DET NEO on the left and the T3/T04e off my KA-T in the middle.

Next came relocating the PS pump and finding a new way to tension the serp belt as the PS pump and tensioner would be in the way of the intake i wanted to run.

Mounted a S2000 radiator with S2000 silicone hoses. The radiator fill cap is a little tall for the 240, but I'm going to relocate the fill port later.

Did a Timing upgrade with a skunk2 tensioner, type-s oil pump, oil pump guides, timing chain gaurd, and the revised upper chain guide while installing a 45degree VTC gear. To get some more low end torque out of the Honda.

After getting all this sorted out, I moved on to wiring. As I still had not received my transmission adapter from Collins yet. So I began to do wiring for a Haltech 1500 in my final weeks before boot camp. I wish I could of keep my MS3X from the KA-T, but I wanted to use my J35 DBW TB i got from work a while back swapping out a Honda Pilot engine.

May 2018
With only a few days left before I leaving for an undetermined amount of time I pushed s13 outside, and set about locking up all my tools.

November 2018
After finishing A school I got a chance to go home and take 14 days leave. A few weeks prior my tranny adapter kit finally came in, but collins never sent me the clutch. So I focused on getting the motor mounted and plumbed.

I came home to this pile of boxes

Tranny fitted and dropped in to make mounts. Fit just as planned, although the valve cover sit a bit higher then when i was building the oil pan. I have a plan for later so I don't have an ugly ass hole in the hood.

My dad lending me a hand droping it in.

Mounts made using poly leaf spring bushings.

Once mounted I set about making the turbo manifold for the BW S257SX-E. Never making a turbo manifold before, this was a challenge, but atleast I already had a equal length manifold planned out using autodesk Inventor. using FSMs and pictures i mocked up a K24 in an S13 engine bay.

Mounting twin MVRs with dump pipes, the space on the passenger side is getting very cramped.

bumming 220v at a friends body shop to TIG weld the manifold, and new exhaust.

It was looking so close, but so many little things left to do.

ran out welding gas 4 days before i had to leave and airgas was closed cause of thanksgiving and black friday, so i focused on wiring and packing the garage back up. pulled the motor, set it down on a dolly and rolled the S13 back outside

And here we are now march 31st Ill be home back in VA, with orders a ship in Norfolk. I'll have almost 4 weeks to work on the car before I go on me first deployment. I don't know when I'll be back yet. Guessing late summer early fall tho as ill be joining in mid deployment.

The very last of the parts have been ordered to finish the swap plus some extra goodies I've picked up while waiting. just recently ordered a walbro E85 450l and all the plumbing to convert to flex fuel. Also my clutch and flywheel came in back in January.

Last edited by foreverdeath; 03-20-2019 at 04:25 PM..
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh wow...another Honda Kseries build thread on Zilvia, but one that actually delivers. NICE! [emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice start to the build thread man, good luck getting it finished . If I may ask tho, why did you choose to go with a k24 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
oh fuckin fuck yeah bud
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
1: thank you for your service
2: this Is the first new build thread I've seen here in quite a while that actually has me stoked! looks like you're doing some rad shit! def keep us posted!!!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
oooooooo baby. sub'd.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
Nice start to the build thread man, good luck getting it finished . If I may ask tho, why did you choose to go with a k24 ?

there's a couple of reasons. I've always been die hard KA guy for the 6 years I've owned this car, but KA are getting old and hard to come by in good shape anymore. I've worked on RBs and they are just long and heavy. Also they can be a bitch to work on. so RB and JZ is out, but if could get a hold of a Barra in the states you bet that would be going in tho. Which leads to another thing I wanted.

I wanted something different some thing challenging. yeah I could scrape up the cash to drop in an LS but everyone and their mother has done it now. one of the motors I've always wanted as a 13B or 20B but thats a bit to exotic and my pockets don't go that deep yet. But K24 fits the bill. As far a I know this will be the 5th one to be completed, the 3rd turbo K series, and the 1st to run a CD trans (I got collins first kit which explains all the delays). stone motorsport has their turbo k24 in ireland and TNTgarage in Austraila has a turbo K20. I've actully talked to the owner of the TNTgarage s13 on facebook and hes a cool dude. theres also the speed academy S14, and an s13 with a K20 that was up forsale in New Jersey last year.

But I've always loved Hondas. I still miss my 91 DOHC ZC EF hatch. the K series is a great engine its much motor modern then any other 4cyl or 6cyl we drop into 240s. shit its still in production and I can go get replacement engines at picknpull for 250$ all day long. the stock block will hold 500whp with E85 or racegas. its been fairly costly to get it in but once its in its dirty cheap to fix just like an LS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
1: thank you for your service
2: this Is the first new build thread I've seen here in quite a while that actually has me stoked! looks like you're doing some rad shit! def keep us posted!!!
Thank you. I can't wait to actually go out and do my job now that I've completed A and C school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Oh wow...another Honda Kseries build thread on Zilvia, but one that actually delivers. NICE! [emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Thank you. There was a Kswap thread on here before?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
i believe he is referring to Max's car:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=532923
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
But I've always loved Hondas. I still miss my 91 DOHC ZC EF hatch.
Hell yeah. I never stop browsing for a nice CRX or si hatch.

Quote:
Thank you. There was a Kswap thread on here before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
i believe he is referring to Max's car:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=532923
That's the one. Did a double take when I first saw your build thread's title...
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Yea man I’ve seen a few people interested in this swap, I can def understand the availability of the Motor as well as being able to hit 500whp and all the aftermarket parts available as well haha

What I don’t understand is why someone would want to go from a 2.4 to a 2.4 with so much customization to make it work. But hey at least you will have some variable valve timing and definitely have something different.
Good luck man, will be following the progress

Quote:
there's a couple of reasons. I've always been die hard KA guy for the 6 years I've owned this car, but KA are getting old and hard to come by in good shape anymore. I've worked on RBs and they are just long and heavy. Also they can be a bitch to work on. so RB and JZ is out, but if could get a hold of a Barra in the states you bet that would be going in tho. Which leads to another thing I wanted.

I wanted something different some thing challenging. yeah I could scrape up the cash to drop in an LS but everyone and their mother has done it now. one of the motors I've always wanted as a 13B or 20B but thats a bit to exotic and my pockets don't go that deep yet. But K24 fits the bill. As far a I know this will be the 5th one to be completed, the 3rd turbo K series, and the 1st to run a CD trans (I got collins first kit which explains all the delays). stone motorsport has their turbo k24 in ireland and TNTgarage in Austraila has a turbo K20. I've actully talked to the owner of the TNTgarage s13 on facebook and hes a cool dude. theres also the speed academy S14, and an s13 with a K20 that was up forsale in New Jersey last year.

But I've always loved Hondas. I still miss my 91 DOHC ZC EF hatch. the K series is a great engine its much motor modern then any other 4cyl or 6cyl we drop into 240s. shit its still in production and I can go get replacement engines at picknpull for 250$ all day long. the stock block will hold 500whp with E85 or racegas. its been fairly costly to get it in but once its in its dirty cheap to fix just like an LS.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Creative title there, never seen that before.

Cool build though!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
tight! curious to see how you'll like it compared to the ka.

why did you decide to go with haltech instead of hondata or ktuner?

Quote:
one day i'll stop getting distracted
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post

Cry me a river lol

Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
What I don’t understand is why someone would want to go from a 2.4 to a 2.4 with so much customization to make it work.k
you literally quoted all of the reasons why and you still dont understand?

i would much rather see these threads than a ls or a sr swap. its entertaining and refreshing to see something new. another cool thing about swaps like this is it encourages others to think outside the box. more options for the s chassis community is always better than less.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #15
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
you literally quoted all of the reasons why and you still dont understand?

i would much rather see these threads than a ls or a sr swap. its entertaining and refreshing to see something new. another cool thing about swaps like this is it encourages others to think outside the box. more options for the s chassis community is always better than less.

Oh no I completely understand what he meant. What I’m saying is, at least my way of thinking is, if ima swap something, and go through all the hassle, it’s going to be for more displacement. That’s just me tho, all the power to OP and others with the swaps they choose

Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yea man I’ve seen a few people interested in this swap, I can def understand the availability of the Motor as well as being able to hit 500whp and all the aftermarket parts available as well haha

What I don’t understand is why someone would want to go from a 2.4 to a 2.4 with so much customization to make it work. But hey at least you will have some variable valve timing and definitely have something different.
Good luck man, will be following the progress

I'm debating making a swap kit for it and possably having my friend Ryan aka RaceBread to make batch of turbo manifolds. I already have a new manifold designed that will fit a s300 borgwarner.

2.4 to 2.4 isnt a fair argument. The kseries is much more efficient of a motor. The max anyone has made out a NA KA other then the CORR trucks, is what 220 whp. OEM part combo K24s can make mid to high 200s whp and built motors have made 500hp at the crank. With that efficiency it's more comparable to 90s I6 or V6 even v8s of larger displacement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by foreverdeath; 03-14-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post

I already had a standalone, MS3X on the KAT so I wasnt gona step back in features.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hell yeah. I never stop browsing for a nice CRX or si hatch.

That's the one. Did a double take when I first saw your build thread's title...
skimmed it a saw a K24 make a cameo appearance on page 3 lol. maybe he'll get rolling on the swap soon.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #19
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is rad, subbed!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #20
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
it’s going to be for more displacement.
OP: Go .020 overbore. MOAR displacement.

Swap: Justified.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
OP: Go .020 overbore. MOAR displacement.

Swap: Justified.
Lmao would that get me over 2389cc from the K24s 2350cc? Might need to go bigger.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
SRTFerg
Zilvia Member

SRTFerg is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for your service. I am super stoked for this build.
SRTFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Thank you I cant wait to get back. This last 3 weeks on corry station has been killing me nothing to do in holding and almost all my friends have gone on to their new duty stations.

Do have some news tho. Today I sold my old 93 Dakota 3.9 2wd beater truck and got a 01 F250 7.3 superduty 4x4 crew cab. Now I can tow myself and my whole gang to summit raceway and Shenandoah. Next Tuesday I got a 1033 mile road trip to Norfolk stopping in TN. Gona be a much better ride on the way back.

Last edited by foreverdeath; 03-18-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #24
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Thank you I cant wait to get back. This last 3 weeks on corry station has been killing me nothing to do in holding and almost all my friends have gone on to their new duty stations.

Do have some news tho. Today I sold my old 93 Dakota 3.9 2wd beater truck and got a 01 F250 7.3 superduty 4x4 crew cab. Now I can tow myself and my whole gang to summit raceway.
Someone reported this post, it may not have s chassis content but is somewhat related to his build. Please do not report posts unless admin/moderator action is necessary.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #25
SRTFerg
Zilvia Member

SRTFerg is an unknown quantity at this point
I will keep a lookout for you at Summit and Shenandoah. My car wont be ready for this season but I will be out there to spectate.
SRTFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #26
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Counteract is an unknown quantity at this point
This is awesome man.

I'm looking into doing this swap myself. Do you have any more pictures of how you modified the oil pickup? I have a different idea altogether but it would be a lot of work, so it's good to keep my options open!
Counteract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #27
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

I just got home to Virginia last nite. Idk how you modify the pan different but you can try. Speed academy did less cutting by lowering and notching the front subframe but affect geometry. I notched the front subframe a little but not much cause my rack has been relocated

Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #28
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Opened up the garage today and looked over all the parts I've been piling up. Sorry I dont have many pictures I was mainly tryn to figure out if everything was there. At first the amount of boxs wasnt right but they were scattered around the house. I did mess up and forgot to order more AN10 hose for the remote oil filter setup I have. And the Canton remote filter adapter I got used for a deal was the wrong thread pitch.

I didnt spend to much time today cause I had to help a friend move and I was wiped out. I got the motor on the stand to get ready to fit bungs on the oil pan and move some coolant fittings around. Moved the wastegate coolant feed to the top of the rear coolant adapter for firewall clearance will pulling and installing the motor. And the coolant temp sensor for my innovative gauge to the thermostat housing, but I need to open the hole for the sensor as the 1/8 npt port is ressed and the sensor wont fit.

Tommorrow I got check in on base and move into the barracks. But I'll try put some work in this weekend. Cant do any welding till next week tho cause I didnt get a chance to refill my argon bottle today.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #29
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Did a good bit of plumbing work today. But first here's all the extra bits I acquired while in Florida to add to the build. Got a walbro E85 450lph pump, turbo speed sensor for my borgwarner, parts to remote mount the oil filter, and a fuel pump controller out of a range rover. This fuel pump controller is the same module out of Aston Martins with supercharged V8s and handles big single fuel pumps. NZEFI has tested this unit up to 18amps continuous load and it takes a simple 100hz PWM signal from a standalone ECU. They sell this unit with a bracket for over 300$ but I got mine on ebay for 60$ with the pigtail.

Started off with the fuel lines, fuel filter and flex fuel sensor. Riv-nutted the fuel filter to base of the shock tower. I didn't spring for the PTFE hoses as want to later rerun the hard lines down the drivers side away from the exhaust with -8 feed and -6 return. Later I'll add a heat shield to the passenger rear side of the engine bay to protect the fuel lines and body harness.

Next I moved to the oil system. Mount up the remote oil filter to the frame rail to make more room around the exhaust manifold. Haven't started running lines as I'm still waiting to get into contact will Canton racing about ordering just a the banjo bolt so I can use mount the adapter.

Originally I wanted to run -10 for the crankcase scavenger with a fitting made for these motors. But, flipping the Skunk2 Ultra intake doesn't allow for it. So I used some left over -6 from the old fuel system which just barely clears the intake, alternator and alternator cable. This will work till later modify a pre 09 water housing to fit a post 09 alternator. Which I can mount with a turnbuckle, making belt tightening much easier then squeezing a turnbuckle behind the water pump pulley to move the power steering pump.

Also started some welding prep. Fitted up the fitting for the wastegate coolant feed by cutting a S2000 oil cooler barb fitting for a -4 bung.

Hopefully tomorrow I get out of class early enough to refill my argon bottle and start finishing up the oil pan.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #30
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

New class schedule gives me a good bit of time to work on the project in the afternoons. Today I got cracking on finishing the oil pan. added bungs for the turbo drain, temp sensor and a -6 for oil drain. Used some hinges and 16ga to make the baffles for the pan. At this point only 2 more things are holding me up from putting the motor in for the last time. Hammering the transmission tunnel on the drivers side of the tranny bracket on the body to clear the CD009 and final welding of the motor mounts on the subframe.