Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #691
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 01:36 AM   #692
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
really into works9 right now for some reason

Old 11-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #693
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
the fuck are you taking about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
You can't even make this shit up anymore. Kid is oblivious.
Wow. lots of hate

Red circle below would be a vent.

what you pointed out is there to create vortex so the air would stay closer to the surface of the car.
My guess is that it uses low pressure air from engine bay and with high pressure air from surface create down force as well.

Alot of Andrew Brilliant's design would have them. Under Suzuki's car used to have one on the fenders but they got deleted.
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #694
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Don't post that car here. Kids will start asking where they can get that wing in the small questions thread and kids like STR8 H8IN will buy one for each of his shit boxes.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #695
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
Wow. lots of hate

Red circle below would be a vent.

what you pointed out is there to create vortex so the air would stay closer to the surface of the car.
My guess is that it uses low pressure air from engine bay and with high pressure air from surface create down force as well.

Alot of Andrew Brilliant's design would have them. Under Suzuki's car used to have one on the fenders but they got deleted.
The hate is coming because you're wrong. The things you've circled and the previously pointed out parts on the hood are both vents of different styles. Purely to facilitate air pass the radiator, intercoolers, engine. They do not create any vortices and if they did their effect would largely be mitigated from the windshield and roof which would break it up almost immediately. Vortex generators are sometimes used on the rear of the car in an attempt to create cleaner air for the wing or prevent flow seperation.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #696
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
The hate is coming because you're wrong. The things you've circled and the previously pointed out parts on the hood are both vents of different styles. Purely to facilitate air pass the radiator, intercoolers, engine. They do not create any vortices and if they did their effect would largely be mitigated from the windshield and roof which would break it up almost immediately. Vortex generators are sometimes used on the rear of the car in an attempt to create cleaner air for the wing or prevent flow seperation.
"The hate is coming becuase you're wrong" you sound like you've been influenced by trump.. actually he hates everyone even when you are right.

Why are some people so serious on this forum.. don't you come here to share ideas (right/wrong/different) and look at what other's are doing to something you love as well?

Actually, I can not argue any of it without looking at the actual airflow and even than, I'm not an aerodynamicist by degree. I will ask my friend who holds a PhD in aerodymics.

I will point out that vortex generators are very often used in front of the vehicles though. Why do people put multiple canards in their front bumper? But again, I don't hate you because you're wrong.

Last edited by battery1882; 11-14-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #697
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think we should clarify what a vortex generator is and where theyre placed. I feel like some people dont know much about it and are pulling shit outta they asses
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #698
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
My vortex generator is on the rear. It generates a powerful downward vortex that is quite audible.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #699
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
"The hate is coming becuase you're wrong" you sound like you've been influenced by trump.. actually he hates everyone even when you are right.

Why are some people so serious on this forum.. don't you come here to share ideas (right/wrong/different) and look at what other's are doing to something you love as well?

Actually, I can not argue any of it without looking at the actual airflow and even than, I'm not an aerodynamicist by degree. I will ask my friend who holds a PhD in aerodymics.

I will point out that vortex generators are very often used in front of the vehicles though. Why do people put multiple canards in their front bumper? But again, I don't hate you because you're wrong.
I wasn't going to reply because I hate threads that devolve into off topic conversations like this, but I think somethings need to be cleared up. You asked why people were flaming you and I simplified it. It's because you are perpetuating misinformation willfully.

First, off. What is a vortex generator in the context of motor sports. I have largely been referencing the type of vortex generator found on the trailing end of the car that is intended to prevent separation of air. The ones I am specifically referring too, look like this:

This example is more show than function however the point remains. The idea of this design is to create vortices in an attempt to prevent separation of flow at the aggressive change in direction at the roof. A secondary effect is less turbulent air to make passing over a wing more effective.

Now, are vortices created by canards/dive planes or splitters? Many times yes, however to imply that the function of these is only to create a vortex is wrong and for many applications apart from Formula, open wheel cars, LeMans or other highly competitive race cars the effect is almost non existent up front. Those applications are intended to create higher pressure from building underneath the car or subverting air from the wheels at speed. Going back to what I mentioned earlier, the hood does not need to prevent flow separation due to its favorable pressure gradient and realistically it is not going to provide any difference in pressure to the under carriage at that point. A vortex in the middle of the hood would at best do nothing and worst provide excessive turbulence early on with added drag. The vents on the hood are to evacuate to air from the engine bay. The image you referenced as an example of frontal vortex generators did in fact include some, however there far more strakes. A strake can also indirectly create a vortice but is primarily used to redirect and straighten flow and I think you may have been confused about them.

Feel free to consult your PHD friend. He should give you all of the same information.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #700
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
I wasn't going to reply because I hate threads that devolve into off topic conversations like this, but I think somethings need to be cleared up. You asked why people were flaming you and I simplified it. It's because you are perpetuating misinformation willfully.

First, off. What is a vortex generator in the context of motor sports. I have largely been referencing the type of vortex generator found on the trailing end of the car that is intended to prevent separation of air. The ones I am specifically referring too, look like this:

This example is more show than function however the point remains. The idea of this design is to create vortices in an attempt to prevent separation of flow at the aggressive change in direction at the roof. A secondary effect is less turbulent air to make passing over a wing more effective.

Now, are vortices created by canards/dive planes or splitters? Many times yes, however to imply that the function of these is only to create a vortex is wrong and for many applications apart from Formula, open wheel cars, LeMans or other highly competitive race cars the effect is almost non existent up front. Those applications are intended to create higher pressure from building underneath the car or subverting air from the wheels at speed. Going back to what I mentioned earlier, the hood does not need to prevent flow separation due to its favorable pressure gradient and realistically it is not going to provide any difference in pressure to the under carriage at that point. A vortex in the middle of the hood would at best do nothing and worst provide excessive turbulence early on with added drag. The vents on the hood are to evacuate to air from the engine bay. The image you referenced as an example of frontal vortex generators did in fact include some, however there far more strakes. A strake can also indirectly create a vortice but is primarily used to redirect and straighten flow and I think you may have been confused about them.

Feel free to consult your PHD friend. He should give you all of the same information.
I did talk to my friend and he thinks that the original picture that I made my comment on , indeed, appears to be some type of vane or vortex generator. Now as you said, I do not want to clutter up this thread as well so I will speak to you over pm and we can discuss further. No hard feelings.

below is CFD on andrew brilliant's eclipse. He uses those on almost every car that he consults. Obviously locations would be all different. Center is obviously a vent.

I'll leave with some doing it right picture.

I don't know who is doing it more right than this guy as far as time attack goes. He won 2016 WTAC.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #701
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
can we get back on track in this thread again please?

perhaps go start a "vortex generator" thread or take the conversation to the "downforce thread"

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #702
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
can we get back on track in this thread again please?

perhaps go start a "vortex generator" thread or take the conversation to the "downforce thread"

Cheers.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #703
MJenkins1101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
MJenkins1101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Cheers.

Pic
This is awesome!
MJenkins1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #704
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #705
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #706
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #707
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore

God this car is cool, blksylv owns it I think?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #708
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Thanks and yea that's me lol.
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #709
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #710
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #711
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How is this guy still active? I thought he was gone
Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #712
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charzilla View Post
Hear me out guys.

I have been working on my car for several years, I just got it to a point where I had some time to post a picture of it and see if anyone else is running with some crazy setups for spacers. Apologies if it came across as defensive. I know there has to be people out there that are not spending the crazy amounts of money for 3 piece wheels and have wide body setups. Perhaps the RocketBunny kit was wider than I anticipated. Nothing I can do about it now. I get that its not great for the wheel bearings and everything else. I appreciate yall's concerns. I was just seeing if anyone else had experience with it first hand.

Everyone has their budget and what they have in mind of what looks appealing. This is what I had and what I thought looked good to me. I don't have the money to spend $4000 or more on wheels. Bottom line. I live in an area where that would be stolen so fast it would really be a dumb on my part. I mean I totally get the community doesn't like what monstrosity I've created here, but this monster is my child. Y'all can laugh it up, this is my shitbox.

Maybe it was the wrong thread but sheesh i didn't mean to get everyone riled up. Anyone who's upset, SORRY. Seriously tho, I love zilvia, its a great place for S-Chass enthusiasts. Can't we all just be friends plz?
Shout out for apologizing and being a decent dude after causing a bit of a stir and coming off as a dick. His setup still isnt quite dir, but at least hes owning up to it and actually trying to make things right.
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #713
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #714
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Don't know if this has been posted here because I only log onto Zilvia to laugh in the DIW thread, but I saw this on FB and have to share. This is the baddest SOHC I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjFggMuhKU
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #715
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #716
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, that's one angry single jingle.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #717
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
any idea what it makes for power? gotta be in the 4 digit range
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #718
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Damn, that's one angry single jingle.
You can probably hear it jingle from across town!
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #719
MamangSorbetero
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
MamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99FyfU3JNcw

Delicious oldschool.
  • No excessive paint jobs or aero.
  • No stupid hueg wheels and tires.
  • No extraneous suspension.
  • No V8 or 800-1000HP motors.
  • No tube or silhouette body.
  • No crap FRP parts.
  • No hydraulic handbrake or dual caliper rear brake setup.
  • No insane steering lock mods.
  • No ridiculous electronic metering systems, standalone management or ignition systems.
  • No racing-spec fueling system.

"Why has drifting turned into NASCAR?" is the argument time and time again
MamangSorbetero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #720
Malik
Nissanaholic!