Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #271
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
AscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
In the US, that would be solved.

People talk about the US being a disposable society, I feel like Japan takes it to another level.

Japan recycles damn near everything. I mean EVERYTHING. there’s tons of recycle shops here. So you’re 110% wrong there lol when It comes to cars there’s tons of reasons why they don’t but you can recycle every piece of that car and then scrap the chassis for metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
decrepit teenage shitsleds
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
"Cut my springs, car is bouncy, will a camber kit help?"
AscendaShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #272
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Busy weekend lifting and moving things but we are back in the new place.

Had a bit of the time getting the car into the driveway. The soft gravel made me wish I had a GTR

Some playing around with plywood and we were unstuck and sitting pretty

Super stoked to be back home. Just have a few more things to finish up inside before I can start playing around in the garage

-Jordie
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #273
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
The new pad is looking GREAT! I bet you're hyped with having your car at home, and not in storage!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #274
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Congrats dude!!
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #275
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Been a while but I've slowly been chipping away at little things.

Managed to get some $60 amazon LED lighting for the garage. I will want to neaten up the wiring when its not super cold out. They are a great budget option for anyone looking to brighten up their work space.

Now that we have light. It was time to tackle the first upgrade.

After the last summer of lapping it was time to replace my (used to me) Z32 front rotors. I modified my GKTech caliper brackets (intended for R33 GTR rotors) to work with 350z Track rotors.

The diameter is the same at 324mm, but the top hat height is 4mm different. But most importantly, 350z rotors can be picked up locally and are less that $80 for the pair.

Bigger rotors mean saying bye to the 16 in P1s.

More updates once I figure out a new photo uploader , IMGUR is not working out for me.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #276
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
]

Bigger rotors mean saying bye to the 16 in P1s.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #277
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

I was able to carve our some Sunday to clean out all the crap left in the garage by the contractor and setup a little work area. I wheeled in my old toolbox from the shed and setup a folding table as a temp work bench.

The goal is to get some 2' deep industrial shelving to double as a work surface as well as storage. I just need to paint the floors before I fill it with stuff

These $60 amazon lights are incredible

So now it was time to finally get on with installing my LQ9 coil upgrade. Old crusty ignition system out. New wiring specialties conversion harness and LQ9 coils in. I picked them up from the local U Pull yard over the summer and tested them.

I was originally going to design and CNC cut my own bracket but have been so busy with house stuff so I caved and bought the CX Racing bracket. Given the price I paid I was expecting a quality part. What I received looked as though it had been made by a blind 4 year old with a blunt chisel. It didnt even look as though the finish had fully cured before it was packaged and shipped.

Technically it works and it will be covered by the cover but I dont think I will be ordering anything from them again.

Got everything setup and it now starts and idles 100% better than before. I just need to do a little cable management and re install the cover and its ready to go.

Excuse the dust

[/url]2019-02-26_10-57-30 by Jordie Lewis, on Flickr

I also ordered new gauge holders re located my gauges back from the column to the dash.

I still have some interior electronics to install as well some cooling mods on their way from FRSport.

Thanks for checking in

-Jordie
Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #278
Juusan
Leaky Injector

Juusan is an unknown quantity at this point
Came for the rad R32, stayed for the super cool house transformation.

Loving the R32 aesthetic and the super cool lines of the home, I tip my hat sir.
Juusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #279
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juusan View Post
Came for the rad R32, stayed for the super cool house transformation.

Loving the R32 aesthetic and the super cool lines of the home, I tip my hat sir.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad that the house is more or less complete so I can get back to tuning
Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #280
Juusan
Leaky Injector

Juusan is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds good dude, look forward to future updates.
Juusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #281
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Cooling mods arrived yesterday

Managed to snag a new Universal Blitz Oil Cooler kit from the clearance section on FRSport. Comes complete with Core, Lines / Fittings as well as a thermostatic sandwich plate.

Got it for $250 CAD (marked down from $970)

Not to sure why they were giving these away for nothing but I'm pretty happy.

Now its time for mounting and ducting

-Jordie
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #282
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

So a few things have changed over the past month or so. I finally got the car out of the garage and managed to clean off all the drywall dust and gave it a proper wash. Best part of the garage is the car can stay much cleaner now.

Once it was washed, I got cracking on replacing the exhaust. My car has been nicknamed "dyson" by my close circle of friends do to it sounding... well like a dyson.

Not anymore.

I believe that the exhaust that came with the car was a 3.25" HKS (no markings, but square flange) which I had cut the secondary muffler out of but it made no difference.

The new exhaust is a 3" with a straight through cannon style muffler. Ill see how I like it, so far ive gone for a quick drive and the new noise is causing something inside the interior to rattle / vibrate which will have to be sorted. Might be a little too obnoxious for me but its easy to revert back.

My friends over at Speed Academy hooked it up with a AEM AFR / Boost gauge. I am not a fan of flashy "spaceship looking" AEM gauges, but understand their importance. The perfect spot to tuck it away in the R32 is in the drivers side knee vent (they're usually broken anyways) and are the perfect size.

Still visible when driving.

Ive gone back and forth on this for a while now. There are pros and cons to each location. I knew I wanted to mount it vertical. So i took out the headlight and rebar and got around to mocking it all up

In front of the rad provides the most protection and allows the fan to pull air through the rad when idling after turning some hotlaps. The FMIC also provides protection from road debris.

Ultimately I decided on mounting it on the drivers side. I chose this location mainly to simplify running the lines. If i had mounted in front of the rad, I would have had to cut / drill into the rad support and move the chase bays overflow. now the lines have plenty of room to up behind the fender and through the opening into the engine bay

Got my trusty bender out and started making bracketry

Got it all mounted up with locking hardware and its extremely sturdy. These Bluetooth oil lines arnt going to cut it though. Ill have and update on those as well as the plan for ducting in the next post.

Thanks for checking in

-Jordie
Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #283
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
I think that old muffler is from a fujitsubo exhaust. I have one on my 180.

Try and flip that oil cooler so the lines are on the inside? Better protection that way. And make sure oil in is at the bottom. They run opposite to radiators to prevent aeration.

Car is looking sweet though man! Looking forward to see where it goes!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #284
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joobie610 View Post
Try and flip that oil cooler so the lines are on the inside? Better protection that way. And make sure oil in is at the bottom. They run opposite to radiators to prevent aeration.

Car is looking sweet though man!
Thanks! Ill try and flip the cooler, I am just not too sure if there is enough room around the intercooler piping. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #285
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Very cool build. Love seeing great restorations and keeping this things alive!
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #286
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

I attempted to flip the cooler as per Joobie610's suggestion but there just wasnt enough room for the fittings to pass by the piping.

Anyhow its all mounted now. Everything Is tucked up high and as tight as possible away from the corner of the car

Of course everything had to come apart to properly tighten everything down. Good thing im a pro at removing intake manifolds now haha.

The lines are super simple, not overly long and dont have any tightly forced bends

Got everything back together with no leaks or dramas. Chucked my NS2Rs on and went for the first real drive of the season (we have only had 2 or 3 really nice days so far).

They fit a bit bigger than the Zestinos I was running before and I rub ever so slightly in the rear. Nothing a little raise and camber wont fix.

Feels great to be back on the road again

-Jordie
Old 05-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #287
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
That is a cool house, man.

Nice to see your car is back on the road.
That oil cooler mounting location seems like a good alternative to the other. Nice
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #288
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

So its been quite a busy month or so since I last posted. Prepping the React cars for FinalBout Gallery took a long time but the outcome was well worth it

Had a great time hanging out with old friends as well as meeting new ones.

Anyways back to the 32

We last left off installing the oil cooler. It does a fantastic job at helping the car run a lot cooler. Both coolant and oil temps are way down. Still ducting was in order

Picked up a sheetmetal nibbler, an 18" bender and some scrap galvanized steel and got to work

Quick lick of paint to match the bumper as well as some edge gasket to protect the sharp edges.

Also changed up my catch can setup as the one I had made wasnt adequately baffled. $25 amazon special which is an exact copy of the misimoto unit fit the bill and works awesome.

Got fancy clamps

Time to test everything

Car ran rock solid all day. 20 min lapping sessions and the car never saw 85* on either oil or coolant temp. The NS2Rs worked amazing and the minor brake upgrade completely transformed the car.

Overall great day out. Just need to do a quick bolt check and I'm off to try my hand at autocross this weekend.

-Jordie
Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #289
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hell yeah man! Love it when you make meaningful changes and see them all work well together after the fact. Kudos
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #290
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Hell yeah man! Love it when you make meaningful changes and see them all work well together after the fact. Kudos
Yeap. thats the best feeling.

Anyways autocross was an interesting experience to say the least. The event was cheaper than a go kart session. For the price of admission you got 6 timed runs and it even included lunch time lapping on the Grand Prix Circuit at Mosport. Sold.

Somewhere lost in the sea of FRS, Civics and Miatas. Number 32, Naturally.

Ready for Blastoff

I ended out missing a few gates on my first run. The course was too tight for 2nd gear so I left it in 1st and let the RB sing. I ended out finishing mid pack all while not taking it very seriously and sliding about more than I probably should have.

Another lesson in not buying rep parts. I had picked up a Rep GTR wing locally for a decent price. However, the wing tips touched the fenders before the wingstands touched the trunk.

Printed up some spacers and got everything all mounted.

I am trying to figure out if I like it or not before I put more work into glassing in the spacers and painting it

It needs something on the trunk, I am just not too sure this is it.

-Jordie
Old 07-10-2019, 03:40 AM   #291
Wknd

Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks great, did the wing tips rub the rear fender slightly? Mine did the same with GTR wing though.
Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #292
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknd View Post
That looks great, did the wing tips rub the rear fender slightly? Mine did the same with GTR wing though.
Without the spacer, the wing tips would hit the quarter panels and there was a 6mm gap between the wing stand and the trunk. This was the only way to make it fit.

The wing is growing on me. I've come to the realization that I will need more aggressive side and rear aero to pull off a GT wing.

I guess its time to smooth in the spacers and paint it black to match.

-Jordie
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #293
Wknd

Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Without the spacer, the wing tips would hit the quarter panels and there was a 6mm gap between the wing stand and the trunk. This was the only way to make it fit.

The wing is growing on me. I've come to the realization that I will need more aggressive side and rear aero to pull off a GT wing.

I guess its time to smooth in the spacers and paint it black to match.

-Jordie
Yeah, with the spacers or even with Crazy Hornet raisers the wing looks pretty aggressive on its own. What kind of rear bumper lip/extension is that though?
Also, do you happen to have a close up picture of the front hood logo? Is it the same one as they use on the GTR and how is it attached, 2-sided tape? Mine's missing and I think the small logo upfront really is a great addition for the front.
Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #294
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm feeling the wing, balances out the car. Loving the front bumper setup this year too!
Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #295
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknd View Post
What kind of rear bumper lip/extension is that though?
Also, do you happen to have a close up picture of the front hood logo? Is it the same one as they use on the GTR and how is it attached, 2-sided tape? Mine's missing and I think the small logo upfront really is a great addition for the front.
I dont have a close up picture of it at the moment but Ill post one next time I update. One of my hoods came with it but my spare hood does not have one. There are no holes so I would assume it is taped on.

The sides and rear lip are TommyKaira. The front bumper is Top Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka24Power View Post
I'm feeling the wing, balances out the car. Loving the front bumper setup this year too!
Yea its growing on me. Time to pull it off and glass in the spacers. This bumper makes my car run so much cooler. Now I just need matching sides... never ending really
Old 08-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #296
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Ive ordered a new exedy replacement clutch and throwout bearing as mine has started making lots of noise.

Did some garage decorating and got some racks up to best make use of the space. I still need to get the the remainder of the house crap out of the garage

Had the guys by for a bbq.

But not too much to report I have just been pretty much daily driving and enjoying the car.

My goal is to get back on track one more time before we run out of good weather.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #297
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Time for the almost quarterly update.

I did make it out to the track one more time last year. It supposed to be a lapping session but it quickly turned from grip to drift after the rain started. My friend came out for his first time on track with his 135i but it kept going into limp mode due to the E-Diff getting confused. Despite the rain, it did dry out a bit and I managed a 1.32.8 at TMP cayuga. Not a fast time by any means but something to start and work from.

Unfortunately I had to give the Top Secret bumper back as it was my friends spare and he had an unfortunate encounter with a raccoon.

All the lapping and harder driving had taken its toll on my near 30 year old engine. near the end of the season it had become quite apparent that some oil was getting by the valve seals in cyl 3 and 6. compression was even but a tad on the lower side so. Time for a refresh.

I took my old spare head apart. as it would be best to freshen that one up, have it decked ect. rather than just replacing the valve seals. This way I could lap the valve and hopefully gain a little more of that compression back

Then things started to snowball.... as they do

My good friend was parting his RB20 setup in favour of going SR. Although its in poor choice, I gladly took his Tomei Poncams.

Then something else came up for sale Locally (ish) and I jumped on it.

Now there are many ancient threads on this conversion many are filled with people saying it cant be done (for whatever reason) but only a small handful have completed or have experience with it. My build has always gone for a subtle / sophisticated approach and the mechanical look and feel of ITBs fit right inline with that. I am loosely following the formula Area 13 Racing used for the engine on their Red R32. I doubt I can find a legit GTS-R manifold (but theres something in the works )

It also helps that everytime i open the hood and see my knockoff chinese manifold I die a little inside.

Eyesore Manifold

The kit I had obtained was the Otaku garage adapter kit. I mocked it all up. The plenum came powdercoated back which I don't mind but the rest will be thoroughly cleaned before final installation.

This kit make this (*almost) a bolt on affair. No more time consuming welding runners and grafting together parts.

The modification that is needed is to clear the thermostat housing. Ive messaged Otaku about this and they were VERY quick to respond with detailed instructions on how to modify the water passage. They also say a RB30 thermostat housing further helps with clearance

You will also have to move/ modify the dipstick to clear. But I love it waay more than the old setup.

Again these photos are only of the initial mockup. everything is filthy and needs to be cleaned up ect. I am looking forward to the challenge of getting all this to play nice together.

My friend Santi takes great photos.

Till next time

-Jordie
Old 01-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #298
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Good update is good! Loving the rb26 itb set up
Old 01-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #299
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFITTZY View Post
Good update is good! Loving the rb26 itb set up
Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and back together
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #300
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

To add more complexity to this winter rebuild Ive decided to update the look of the car a bit. I have had the same wheels for the past 6 or so years so it was time for a change.

I picked up a set of Gramlight 57 Pros in 18x9 +25 for the front and 18x10 + 15 for the rears.

The rear will need a bit of fender massaging to work but should be more than do able .

Now I really need to push myself to get everything together and ready for the spring. and really dont need any more destractions....Oooh cutsom LED tail light conversion...

Now its time to make progress. More to come.

-Jordie