Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #61
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
and for the record, let me remind you that its a toyota - they're overbuilt to the point where they (very) rarely need major service.
try changing a clutch or anything related to pulling the motor to work on it... not fun in any way at all. removing the drivers side axle is like pulling teeth!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #62
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
MR2's might be a PITA to work on, but it might be worth it. Just depends on how much one might want a reasonably reliable mid-engine turbo car. And I've been wanting one alot more than an S-chssis lately. I keep hearing from owners that the labor & snap oversteer issues are petty overblown. These cars were pretty similarly priced to 240's when they were both on sale, weren't they? I wonder if there were any comparison reviews...
Old 06-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #63
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
MR2's were kind of expensive

27k for a turbo in 1994 was quite a bit

Base 2dr Coupe
See Specs
4 cyl.
130-hp, 2.2-liter I-4 (regular gas)
22/29
$22,538/$19,045
Destination charge: $385

T-Bar 2dr Coupe
See Specs
4 cyl.
130-hp, 2.2-liter I-4 (regular gas)
22/29
$23,718/$20,042
Destination charge: $385

Turbo w/TBar 2dr Coupe
See Specs
4 cyl.
200-hp, 2.0-liter I-4 (regular gas)
20/27
$27,588/$23,312
Destination charge: $38

a 1993 240sx SE fastback was 10k cheaper
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #64
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
MR2's might be a PITA to work on, but it might be worth it to have a reasonably reliable mid-engine turbo car, IMO. I keep hearing from owners that the labor & snap oversteer issues are petty overblown. These cars were pretty similarly priced to 240's when they were both on sale, weren't they? I wonder if there were any comparison reviews...
Not even close in terms of price.

The SW20 was priced closer to a Corvette.

Base 240sx was $16,000 ($26,200 in 2015)
Base Civic SI was $10,000 ($16,400 in 2015)

Base Mustang Cobra $17,195 ($28,154 in 2015)
Z28 Camaro (T56 + LT1) $19,550 ($32,665 in 2015)

Base MR2 $20,749 ($33,973 in 2015)
Turbo MR2 $29,243 ($47,881 in 2015)

Completely different markets.

As for working.... It's just a backwards FWD car.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #65
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
try changing a clutch or anything related to pulling the motor to work on it... not fun in any way at all. removing the drivers side axle is like pulling teeth!
i know we're totally off topic here, but have you ever wrenched on a Z32TT?

real convenient car to work on.... :-P
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #66
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Oh, I thought the mr2 was cheaper than that new... Still, its an indication that it was a higher caliber car than the s-chassis. Good thing they're unappreciated so they're still relatively cheap & beneath the notice of the ratchet spec crowd.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #67
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
MR2's might be a PITA to work on, but it might be worth it. Just depends on how much one might want a reasonably reliable mid-engine turbo car. And I've been wanting one alot more than an S-chssis lately. I keep hearing from owners that the labor & snap oversteer issues are petty overblown. These cars were pretty similarly priced to 240's when they were both on sale, weren't they? I wonder if there were any comparison reviews...
I have had one, and now i have a couple 240's, mr2 was like my first car, so i learned to drive well in it, heel toe, etc. The shifting is kinda lame compared to 240's, because its cable shifting, so its hard to get right, but after a while you get better at it, and can even shift without the clutch(despite cable lag).

My car was N/A, and i have heard that some of the mr2 enthusiasts actually prefer it ( though if i was going to do a N/A mr2 i would build a beams one).

Car was super reliable, and if you need to do anything, i would just do what you do here and look it up, someone has usually found a better way to do it. It might be fun to start out with a cheap high mileage N/A, and swap it, but then you would need to swap brakes for turbo breaks etc.

Also snap oversteer is a factor especially in the 91 and 92 models, but if you get enough experience you know the limit and what not to do, you feel like a badass.( one time i took mine to the limit in the rain, snap oversteer kicked in around an onramp, and i spun out in the middle of the highway, luckily this is texas, so there wasn't really anyone on it)

Also toyota is badass, and mr2's are super fun. If your tall it might get old though, like 6'3+

240's are easier to work on tho......
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #68
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Yeah, as I looked around there seemed to be plenty of ppl maintaining their SW20's without needing to drop the engine. Z32 is similiar, ppl have figured out ways around a lot of those things. I mean, I'm pretty sure an R35 GTR is a bitch to work on too... Gonna give up on that one as well? If I ever get rid of my S14 for another inexpensive JDM toy, it will be probably be for an MR2 turbo. Otherwise, I'll just hold on to my 240 and hope that the GT4 Stinger or something like it eventually hits the market.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #69
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Forget the MR2 Turbo...the Celica All-trac/GT-Four is my JAM! It's a crying shame we never got the ST205 chassis '94-99 models like the rest of the world
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #70
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^I used to have an ST183 GTS. Those things are ghastly to me now. The st205 is even uglier. Making either of them look good is impossible. Would much rather have the MR2 & certainly wouldn't give up an SR swapped 240 for those rollee pollee things.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #71
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgRWDgoodness! View Post
Forget the MR2 Turbo...the Celica All-trac/GT-Four is my JAM! It's a crying shame we never got the ST205 chassis '94-99 models like the rest of the world
The 86-89 all tracs are badass plus we got a few of them they're just like never for sale, such rally champion 80's nostalgia awesomeness. MR2's are better though, more sexy lines and supercar fighting skills yo!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #72
simmode1
Post Whore!

Found some goodies!

Dori Dori compares the S13 to the then new S14 & throws in a Mine's Zenki for fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kk63m_LR7s

Dori Dori now compares the S14 Silvia against the SW20 in a N/A AND Turbo showdown! NA MX5 & FD3S also make an appearance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rxueyuWKAU

Early S14 tuning tips & showdown against R32 GTR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjP6tgKYhgE

Early S13 tuner Shoot-Out... When is the last time Keiichi drove this many cars with lowering springs?!? lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rtEYoxkRk

Last edited by simmode1; 06-28-2015 at 06:10 PM..
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #73
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oulONbutow

Z32 first review - non turbo
Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #74
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGKV_WByYM
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #75
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gonna go through my old Best Motoring videos. I remember there being one where they compared the new Z32 with a MR2, FC, S13, and a couple of cars.

August 1989 Best Motoring had S13 as part of comparison against the FC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLwcMMDcVY

Found the one I was looking for
November 1992 Best Motoring with Z32 vert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjAYGErPcc
Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #76
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBc78UZw2s
Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #77
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Sweet. Can't wait to watch that when I get off work.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #78
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

does anyone now what they name was of that old fellow with the jdms ? he has a bluebird SSS just like this, and I though it was interestingly old school and awesome.

Thought I should post this nismo/autech bluebird SSS video cuz its cool

Thought bluebird guy would appreciate it too, its also sorta old school so it counts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTv...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTv-i4e6Bo

sorry I don't know how to embed,
but it magically embeded itself! that or some mod pittied me and my non-embedded insolence

Last edited by kashira kureijii; 12-05-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #79
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Old 07-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #80
ixfxi
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sukj17ZxRwo

^ this get posted yet?
Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #81
ixfxi
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Sokqyk2Sk
Old 01-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #82
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Well prepared for all challengers.....best thing I’ve seen all day. Fuck I wish I could have had one new look how nice it was.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #83
ixfxi
Post Whore!

i like how he says that the engine has "serious internal refinements" and the transmission "shift action is better, more precise"

uhmm.......... its the same engine and transmission.

im one of those people that think the s13 hatch is better than the s14 in too many ways.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:01 AM   #84
EF_jaycee
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
EF_jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 ka refinements= less aggressive cams, no scv, and double cone synchros on some of the gears
EF_jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #85
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i peeped this last video also,

memories!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #86
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
rofl...that post is very current to me...just different Toyota, had 06 corolla come to me with ~12 CEL codes...replaced spark plugs an all were resolved!

My mr2, 1st gen, was a very reliable car...got it horribly abused, took about 2k in parts an who knows how much of my labor and was a perfect car...sold it to fix front end damage on my civic partially due to the fact that I for some reason did not want to spend money to fix the AC on it or the civic would have probably been gone at that point...plus the gas mileage
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #87
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
"A car most evolve to survive"

Well that aged like milk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddDpXp2zJZY
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote