Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Thumbs up Journey to hit 430+whp with a T28...Lets find out.

OK guys whats up as you know ive been working with my 240 for a while now since i was 17. Im currently serving the US Army and im stationed in Korea, 31B Military Police, but my car car is being put togeather as we speak and i wanted to let you guys in on the progress i would like to get your input good or bad it dosent matter to me i take those and make things better.I wanted to be a little different and go a different route than most ppl and i will be the first on here to push the "Special GT25 EWG V44 turbine housing" to the limit. We will see what it take to break way over 400whp on a GT2871r, it to easy to go past 400 with a GT30r. enough talking lets get down to business,enjoy!!!

Mod list to make this happen:

Powerplant:SR20DET Red Top
-Stock Internals
-ARP Head Studs
-Apex 1.1mm metal Head Gasket
-Built head, BC springs and retainers,BC Valves.
-Tomei ProCam 270 duration
-Tomei RAS
-Cusco Motor Mounts
-Greddy oil catch tank
-NO A/C or P/S

Hotside:GT2871R .72
-Copper Exhaust manifold gasket
-Megan racing Exhaust manifold
-Megan racing Elbow
-Megan racing Down pipe and test pipe
-Apexi N1 Cat back exhaust
-Jegs 3' Eletric Cutout
-ATP Special T25 EWG .72 A/R Turbine housing
-Tial V44mm wastegate

ColdSide:GT3071R 4'inch inlet T04E Compressor housing (56 trim GT2871r's can only use this as a upgrade) flows 50lbs a min.
-Ebay 32X12X3 FMIC (works great BTW never gave me problems)
-2.5inch intercooler pipeing (debateing on going 3'inch)<-- needs your input.
-Greddy Intake manifold

Fuel Delivery:Walbro 255lph
-Precision 1000cc injectors
-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulater (not purchased yet)
-Z32 Fuel Filter
-FUEL:-----> E-85<----- FTMFW

Engine Management:AEM EMS w/all the goodies listed below
-AEM 5.0 bar map sensor
-AEM Boost control solenoid = Baller
-Tuned by ???

Drivetrain:Stock SR tranny
-Drive Shaft shop 1 peice drive shaft
-Helical LSD
-Act 6 puck clutch (brand new getting installed)
-F1 13lbs Light weight Flywheel ( ive seen these work fine, its getting installed)
-Pressure plate (need a new one tell me what u think of my old one)

Most of the parts are already on the car i can count on 1 hand for the parts i dont have.

This will not be babied at 18 lbs of BOOST, it will be 22+PSI
I will be getting the full potential of the T2 based GT2871r.

here are the pics of the new parts so far and the progress on the turbo.

More pics will come your way soon!!!

The Tomei Cams,RAS,and ACT 6 puck Total $638 after shipping

Turbo Parts that Arrived!!!!!!!!! Total $581 from ATP Turbo after shipping

plus comparison

GT3071r Compressor housing installed after some hard work and elbow grease.

The Snap Ring on the CHRA will piss you OFF, i repeat it will piss you off.
Aftermath:

Mission Complete:

Well i had the tranny pull and this is what i found not bad jus showing pics.

Seems to have over heated pretty bad.

the old exedy clutch

the old flywheel

Here is a really old motor shot.

thats all the pics for now and i will come up to post alot more later. and thanks for looking and dont forget to leave your feedback.

Last edited by S13 curtis; 08-10-2010 at 08:42 PM..
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You will do 426whp
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
bl3ujay07
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
bl3ujay07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
damn...cant wait to see it finished.
bl3ujay07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
look how little the turbine wheel is - so weird lookin.

mix and match til it works tho - might take more than one try - but it can happen if u try hard enough...

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
looks like an interesting journey. Wonder what the actual numbers are going to be

-I would use a s15 multi layer gasket

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
look how little the turbine wheel is - so weird lookin.

mix and match til it works tho - might take more than one try - but it can happen if u try hard enough...
thanks, and yea i was thinking the same thing about the turbine wheel tiny little thing. it will be tuned on E-85 + a decent amount of timing so we'll see.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
SpdElemts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
SpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of lightSpdElemts is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice parts...i cant wait to see the turbo mounted with the special exhaust housing. Thinking about using the same housing. Please post some pictures of how close the wastegate is to the shock tower.

-Jeff Wolfson
SpdElemts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good looking build so far. I can't wait to see how this turbo will do. Where you at in Korea and how much longer do you have?
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
ross.cottrill
Zilvia FREAK!

ross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant futureross.cottrill has a brilliant future
im interested to see the outcome of this...

" NEO VVL BABY FTMFW!"

Originally Posted by shagspeed
Dude if I made 500WHP on a 54C SR20DET back in 1999-2000 with old school technology .. This VET will T-BAG your RB engines
ross.cottrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
post ur findings of that exhaust housing please!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
i think to make that housing work - u have to run a pipe off the turbine to move the wastegate.

those housings arent something new they've been out quite a while. - atp turbo sells them - I seen them used on a honda - with the gate sticking upward and the housing horizontal.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Why not go with a T2 flanged turbo that has a bigger turbine wheel if you really want to make more power.

I might have just gone GT2876R as well, since IIRC it flows a bit more up top than even the big E cover on the 56 trim 71mm wheel.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
Wouldn't a GT2871r w/ a GT3071r compressor wheel be the same as a GT2876r? Which I heard is a poor match because the compressor wheel is too big for the turbine. (I'm not 100% sure on this, but just throwing it out there)
guitaraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
i stopped reading your mod list after i got to stock internals....

good luck with that.....hopefully it lasts longer than a couple dyno pulls

not trying to be the token pessimistic dickhead of the thread but i am skeptical of the longevity.

you're stationed in Korea making buku $$ can't spend your money...for God sakes man build the bottom end and give yourself some piece of mind. i understand racer x on forum xyz made 24320482084 horsepower for 3 years on stock bottom end without problems.....good for him, but i wouldn't waste 10 grand of my money because of that.

i would have forgone the head work if it was between that or the bottom end, but i know money's not a problem with you since you're military so i am venting strongly my opinion/suggestion that you build the bottom end.

e85 is cheap race gas and will help the stock bottom end last longer...but also e85 varies from batch to batch even at the same pump...therefore care must be taken to make sure your fuel is consistent to the tune, however duly note that even with a perfect tune....the laws of physics still apply and if that bottom end can't take it, it won't hold.

once you reach the limits of that bottom end..it's too late..

best of luck and thank you for your services

Dave

Last edited by Z U L8R; 01-22-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Z U L8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho 240 Freak View Post
Good looking build so far. I can't wait to see how this turbo will do. Where you at in Korea and how much longer do you have?
Im here until october then i will come back to the states. Im in daegu Area 4. the car shouls be ready to hit the dyno as soon as i can find a new pressure plate. as for my intercooler pipeing im thinking about going 2.5 on the hot side a 3 inch on the cold side along with the SSQV mounted beforethe throttle plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdElemts View Post
Nice parts...i cant wait to see the turbo mounted with the special exhaust housing. Thinking about using the same housing. Please post some pictures of how close the wastegate is to the shock tower.
Will do as soon as it gets mounted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic View Post
Wouldn't a GT2871r w/ a GT3071r compressor wheel be the same as a GT2876r? Which I heard is a poor match because the compressor wheel is too big for the turbine. (I'm not 100% sure on this, but just throwing it out there)
Nope, It dosent turn it into a GT2876r, its still a GT2871r, GT3071r and GT2871r have the same exact compressor wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Why not go with a T2 flanged turbo that has a bigger turbine wheel if you really want to make more power.

I might have just gone GT2876R as well, since IIRC it flows a bit more up top than even the big E cover on the 56 trim 71mm wheel.
I decided to just work with what i had and just upgrade the 2871R, my origional plans were to do a .63 T3 backside and have it top mounted but i changed plans jus to make it easier for my buddy working on it.

Last edited by S13 curtis; 01-08-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I can't wait to see it on the dyno. It would be nice to see a decent spooling turbo that makes pretty good power
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Little update and i ran into a little problem check it out:

the compressor housing is touching the exhaust manifold.

here are the solutions to the problem:

1. Use the stock SR exhaust manifold Extrude and Swained because there is no way in hell im putting a stock restrictive manifold back on.
OR
2.Purchase a T2 Flange and use it as a spacer between the turbo and the manifold.

Opinions Please.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

I've heard the Stock manifold flows pretty good once its been extrude honed. Besides Then you can sell me the manifold...lol J/K
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
HPballer76
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
HPballer76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
what about going top mount t2? if thats not an option then the extrude honed stock many gets my vote.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #20
juggernaut1
Leaky Injector

juggernaut1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
Little update and i ran into a little problem check it out:

the compressor housing is touching the exhaust manifold.

here are the solutions to the problem:

1. Use the stock SR exhaust manifold Extrude and Swained because there is no way in hell im putting a stock restrictive manifold back on.
OR
2.Purchase a T2 Flange and use it as a spacer between the turbo and the manifold.

Opinions Please.
Is it possible to clock the comp housing slightly to gain a little clearance?

Sidenote: its a pity they didn't develope the ex housing to suit the more compact Tial MVS gate.
juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #21
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1 View Post
Is it possible to clock the comp housing slightly to gain a little clearance?

Sidenote: its a pity they didn't develope the ex housing to suit the more compact Tial MVS gate.
yea, it should Clear i will take a pic of the mock up as soon as i get this turbo on the manifold. it was clocked a couple times and still wont clear enough because of runner #1. i will most likely go the extrude and swained route
Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #22
Gorilla Unit 33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Gorilla Unit 33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why not just go top mount?
Gorilla Unit 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
juggernaut1
Leaky Injector

juggernaut1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
yea, it should Clear i will take a pic of the mock up as soon as i get this turbo on the manifold. it was clocked a couple times and still wont clear enough because of runner #1. i will most likely go the extrude and swained route
Just tap the comp housing outlet a couple of times with a soft mallet or the wooden handle of a hammer in the direction you need - it will rotate into position - you don't need to undo the bolts each time.

Good luck
juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
om3ga
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
om3ga is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Unit 33 View Post
Too much work + hes already got these parts haha
om3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #25
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea, i had a tubular mani. Shit broke, so now i use a stock one and im fine with it. Stock unit will never break and it flows fine. It doesn't look very cool but if you get it powder coated it doesn't look bad.Spacers work too just keep in mind cast iron is tuff stuff.

ps-for any asshat that wants to make a comment, it was an HKS mani. 1/2 inch flange and it still cracked.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #26
Dee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Subbed, interested to see how close you get to your mark. Godspeed bruh
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #27
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Unit 33 View Post
I would not waste my time with a T2 topmount. if i was going topmount i wouldve bought a .63 T3 housing.I would have to get a custom down pipe new ssbraided lines etc, too much of a headache for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3ga View Post
Too much work + hes already got these parts haha
You read my mind.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
in for the support i'd like to see how this turns out man, good luck
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #29
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
any updates? really interested to see some clearances on the ex. housing with the wastegate installed
Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
any updates? really interested to see some clearances on the ex. housing with the wastegate installed
waiting on my friend to bring me a stock exhaust manifold so i could get it ported out. then i will post more pics.