Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #91
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
They were talking about the URAS ones, which are a different design and less quality.

Driftworks designed theirs to be better.

I'll quote:
It doesn't matter how much "better" they design the materials, that part still puts the steering rack into bending when it wasn't designed to handle that(inner tie rods pivot, and it doesn't locate the front spindle at all, so no bending). The rack might handle it for a bit, but I imagine the seals aren't up for that kind of beating.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #92
white92_s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
white92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have a few question just pertaining to basic angles and mods.

So I have a corolla and i have played with angle a little bit.

My first setup was some steering rack spacers, stock inners and megan outer. ran great got good angle. and to correct the roll center i used battle version NRCA.

so now i have a fresh chassis to play with.

I want to get MORE angle by modifying some stock knuckles.

MY idea.....?
take a stock knuckle off. take a pre measured chunck out. not much. and then heat it with a torch and weld it back together. shortening the knuckle with increase the leverage and gain more angle?

so with shortened knuckle length, megan tie rod ends, battle version roll center adjusters, t3 camber plates, and some battle version steering rack spacers, a fresh alignment i should have a good angle setup? in theory should be more then i had before with not having shorten'd knuckles.

i dont have to worry about the tie rod hitting the lower control, and i already have my roll center adjusted with the battle version nrca.
white92_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #93
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
It doesn't matter how much "better" they design the materials, that part still puts the steering rack into bending when it wasn't designed to handle that(inner tie rods pivot, and it doesn't locate the front spindle at all, so no bending). The rack might handle it for a bit, but I imagine the seals aren't up for that kind of beating.
Good to know. I guess the only way to correctly do this is to actually move the rack forward. Fabrication time.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #94
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Another FYI (sorry i know). I'm using the GP Sports Hyper knuckle right now, and because it spaces the lower control arm and the spindle it added a bit of negative camber. It's likely that during compression the front suspension cambers inward, and by fixing the roll center it's added much negative camber. This could take a toll if your camber plates are out of adjustment which doesn't allow you to run less negative camber. Currently I'm stuck running 1.8' negative camber and out of adjustment.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #95
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
Another FYI (sorry i know). I'm using the GP Sports Hyper knuckle right now, and because it spaces the lower control arm and the spindle it added a bit of negative camber. It's likely that during compression the front suspension cambers inward, and by fixing the roll center it's added much negative camber. This could take a toll if your camber plates are out of adjustment which doesn't allow you to run less negative camber. Currently I'm stuck running 1.8' negative camber and out of adjustment.
Found this in a Sport Compact Car article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Compact Car
On MacPherson strut-equipped cars, the wheel will gain negative camber under roll as long as the lower control arm is positioned less than 90 degrees relative to the strut axis. Unfortunately, many enthusiasts with MacPherson strut-equipped cars lower their cars too much and make this angle greater than 90 degrees. Beyond 90 degrees, the suspension will gain positive camber instead of negative as it compresses, significantly compromising grip

I don't know why it would be a problem, as gaining negative camber in a corner is good. Do you mean if you have already adjusted your camber plates to run a lot of negative camber, then correct your roll center, your car will run too much camber in corners?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #96
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Found this in a Sport Compact Car article:

I don't know why it would be a problem, as gaining negative camber in a corner is good. Do you mean if you have already adjusted your camber plates to run a lot of negative camber, then correct your roll center, your car will run too much camber in corners?
This is a great graphic! I remember reading this series in SCC back before the mag went to shit.
This also explains why I have seen some of these super low cars running retarded front camber. That would also get the angle below 90.
I like changing the pick-up points better, but to each is own. Please keep filling this thread with great info.
One thing that I keep thinking about is with suspention set-ups as stiff as have been discussed earlier what kind of compession travel are we talking about?

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #97
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
I can't hit more than 2.3' of negative camber. This is probably due to my shock manufacterer being partially misinformed, but it could be a potential problem for others as well. Another problem that could arise is the shock length. When the knuckle is raised the shock is also compressed. Shocks with a separate perch and preload adjustment will be ok.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #98
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
i should of started this thread years ago when i was curious about this and wanted to learn more back then.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #99
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
VIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I stumbled upon this. They make knuckles that look like the Driftworks ones. Flame away.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #100
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by white92_s13 View Post

MY idea.....?
take a stock knuckle off. take a pre measured chunck out. not much. and then heat it with a torch and weld it back together. shortening the knuckle with increase the leverage and gain more angle?
Yeah, that should work, just be careful welding on cast iron, it's hard to get good penetration! Also, make sure the tie rod holes stay in the same position in relation to the knuckle, just moved in closer. This will keep your steer feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
This is a great graphic! I remember reading this series in SCC back before the mag went to shit.
This also explains why I have seen some of these super low cars running retarded front camber. That would also get the angle below 90.
I like changing the pick-up points better, but to each is own. Please keep filling this thread with great info.
One thing that I keep thinking about is with suspention set-ups as stiff as have been discussed earlier what kind of compession travel are we talking about?
Hmmm...I would say about 4 inches, give or take a few? Most coilovers run 8/6, and cars roll very little with these and even stock anti-roll bars. Heck, most coilovers don't have more than 4-6inches of shock travel anyway.

I know with my 10/8 there was pretty much zero roll, and with my 12/10 there was absolutely no roll. But then again, this was with less-than-grippy tires.

Maybe the grip guys running slicks can comment on body roll a little more.

But anyway, part of the reason you run a stiff suspension is to reduce camber and toe change with body roll. So with a corrected roll center, this should allow you to run just a little less static camber. I guess it depends on how your strut is angled and how low your car is. Those guys running extended front lower brackets on their coilovers are actually at a disadvantage there; they make the angle greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPDRFT View Post
I stumbled upon this. They make knuckles that look like the Driftworks ones. Flame away.
Taiwan? Making a knock-off?!?! What?!?!? Hahahaha.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #101
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPDRFT View Post
The Taiwanese company could have copied a Japanese manufacturer initially; I know I've seen this before. Though, the design would be somewhat similar between manufacturers, the geometry might have changed. Anyway, I would rather have a part made in England rather than in Taiwan... but I guess it could go both ways (a part failing that is).
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM   #102
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Driftworks GeoMaster Hub Knuckles - Drifting forum - Driftworks
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #103
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dang, 695 pounds for all 4... that's about the price of just the GP Sports front knuckles.

Good deal, but who imports their stuff?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #104
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I would hope someone imports this stuff as its gona be arm and a leg on customs/taxes rape as well as shipping. This is the most awesome part ever imo
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #105
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They (DriftWorks) cant estimate shipping? I wonder who rhdjapan uses for shipping because their stuff wasnt that bad on shipping charges to be honest. I wouldnt be surprised if they can ship international through USPS for a fair price. I may need to email them about shipping international.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #106
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

yeah but they charge arm and a leg on the product itself. I've bought from rdhjapan before... insane prices on stupid simple stuff just because its jdm... seriously... but they are friendly.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #107
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I have a friend stationed in the UK, I don't see why he couldn't get the spindles shipped to him, then ship them out through the base USPS and get very reasonable rates on shipping.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #108
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
I have a friend stationed in the UK, I don't see why he couldn't get the spindles shipped to him, then ship them out through the base USPS and get very reasonable rates on shipping.
Yeah but not everyone has a hook up in the UK for the purpose of shipping something.

I think what we were trying to get at is to have a more permanent solution to the shipping dilemma for Drift Works stuffs.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #109
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Right, I should have worded it a little differently. If anyone is serious about wanting them I can talk to my friend.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #110
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
So the basic idea is to try to get all arms parralel with the ground while under load and keeping all arms as even as possible at the same time??
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #111
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Right, a more correct way of saying it might be - preserve the stock suspension geometry as much as possible.

I believe there are improvements that can be made to the stock geometry, but that is much more complicated then just correcting it back to stock. I figure if you make everything adjustable, you can tweak it at the track and get it set up for your own personal preference.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
d0pe240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
d0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i was wondering would these greddy and moonface ball joints/roll center adjusters be enough to make the control arm straight enough for a slammed 240sx?

d0pe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #113
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

No, at most those give 1/3-1/2 inch of adjustment.

The only ones that actually do anything are the top of the line Moonface ones....IMO 1/2 inch of adjustment isn't worth 450 bucks.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #114
d0pe240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
d0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of lightd0pe240 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
No, at most those give 1/3-1/2 inch of adjustment.

The only ones that actually do anything are the top of the line Moonface ones....IMO 1/2 inch of adjustment isn't worth 450 bucks.

yeh they didnt look long enough, like how your setup is. how much do you think your set up cost, just for the roll center adjusters?
d0pe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #115
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Remember, if they space the ball joint UP, then they don't actually do anything. The pivot point has to remain the same, the shank is what is supposed to be taller.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #116
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0pe240 View Post
yeh they didnt look long enough, like how your setup is. how much do you think your set up cost, just for the roll center adjusters?
Since you have to ream the spindle to accept the shank I am using and weld parts to the LCA, it will have be a LCA + spindle package. I will talk to Danny and let you know. It should be pretty affordable compared to whats out there.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 12-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #117
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Pardon my ignorance, but what does overcentering mean? And why is it bad?

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #118
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what does overcentering mean? And why is it bad?
That's when you pass the point at which more side-to-side movement moves the knuckle out, and the knuckle comes back in - then you go to turn the other way and the tie rod is stuck. Hard to explain, hopefully that gives you a visual.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #119
udon!
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
so for a basic (begginer) roll correction setup on a slammed 240sx you would want inner/outer tie rods, tension rods, and the ruca and rear toe rod?

sorry im a little new to the suspension stuff...
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #120
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Ahhh, I got it now. Ok makes sense.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote