Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #61
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I have some concerns about adjusting the rear roll center by simply spacing the joint down. The balljoints are mounted at an angle. That means that if you simply space the joint down you end up with a longer lower control arm to put the upright in the same position. Since the rear is a multilink that could affect the camber and toe curves. The affect could, of course potentially be positive or negative, but negative is much more likely. IMO in the rear the way to go is to re-locate the subframe and modify the spindles.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #62
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
The Driftworks option posted on page one looks like the best option, though I'd like to know if it can be used with a z32 brake setup.

Man, it's too bad GP Sports stopped making those for the S-chassis.

Supposedly you can use the Driftworks knuckles with the Z32 rear brakes, but they require "modifications" to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
I have some concerns about adjusting the rear roll center by simply spacing the joint down. The balljoints are mounted at an angle. That means that if you simply space the joint down you end up with a longer lower control arm to put the upright in the same position. Since the rear is a multilink that could affect the camber and toe curves. The affect could, of course potentially be positive or negative, but negative is much more likely. IMO in the rear the way to go is to re-locate the subframe and modify the spindles.
Are you talking about using a longer ball joint/shank in the lower control arm? This would affect the suspension curves, but really the affect would not be large.

Most roll center adjusting control arms/ball joints only move the pivot point down by 15mm or so and that 15mm only increases control arm length probably 5mm effectively, which should be able to be offset by the adjustment of the inner heim joints if you have an adjustable arm. And if not, just adjust all your other arms 5mm longer.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 10-03-2010 at 04:19 PM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #63
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
He's talking about the actual arcs that the arms go through being effected in a negative way. Which is why a modification to the rear toe arm mount on the knuckle is likely necessary to achieve proper suspension geometry out back (like the picture I posted of the S15 with Z32 uprights).

Danny, I do not believe there is enough material on the front spindle to just cut the bottom off and bolt something else on. You can see the GP Sports knuckles have a good 1/2 inch more material then the stock knuckles where the bottom part bolts on.

It IS a shame that GP Sports stopped making them....but at the same time it was an unmarketable product. Very few S-chassis owners can afford/are willing to throw a good 1000-1200 bucks for a set of knuckles here in the US. Especially when it can be corrected by just raising the car up (which is what people who care about performance usually do).

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #64
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Can we sticky this? This is very good.
NiSilS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #65
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
He's talking about the actual arcs that the arms go through being effected in a negative way. .
Using a longer shank doesn't affect the arc of the control arm at all. It merely moves it down in it's arc. It moves exactly the same way, think about it. The other control arms stay the same as well.

EDIT: The relationship between the arms does change slightly, but as stated below, the change is not really a performance-hurting one.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 12-29-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #66
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Using a longer shank doesn't affect the arc of the control arm at all. It merely moves it down in it's arc. It moves exactly the same way, think about it. The other control arms stay the same as well. Their relationship does not change. Just because the lower control arm is spaced down doesn't mean that the arms move any different than they used to.
wrong. For the front, being a macphearson strut design, has a 1:1 ratio in relation for the lca moving 1" and the shock compressing 1", so you could almost assume it does not affect other suspension components. The problem is more apparent in a multilink suspension such as the rear links on our car. It's difficult to conceptually visualize, but a few hardcore racing companies have developed new spindles in contrast to addig spacers under the lca to combat the negative affects of lowering a production based vehicle while preserving the initial suspension dynamics from the factory. In other words there more to adding spacers between the knuckle and lca.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #67
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
wrong. For the front, being a macphearson strut design, has a 1:1 ratio in relation for the lca moving 1" and the shock compressing 1", so you could almost assume it does not affect other suspension components. The problem is more apparent in a multilink suspension such as the rear links on our car. It's difficult to conceptually visualize, but a few hardcore racing companies have developed new spindles in contrast to addig spacers under the lca to combat the negative affects of lowering a production based vehicle while preserving the initial suspension dynamics from the factory. In other words there more to adding spacers between the knuckle and lca.
Not really sure what you're getting at, but all you would change(besides the roll center) would be the camber and possibly toe curves(I'm imagining this might stay the same). If anything, you'll probably increase your camber gain in the rear, even though that's not really a problem when lowered.

As for the GP Sports knuckles - if you're fine with two bolts in bending, why not just drill out the stock spindle and use a 3/4" bolt in bending in place of the balljoint?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #68
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Just making the point that it requires more attention to correctly raise the roll center given a multi-link suspension. Unless I misread.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #69
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Just making the point that it requires more attention to correctly raise the roll center given a multi-link suspension. Unless I misread.
Do you realize I started this thread? Hahaha, I know more than you think, though I think Def knows more than all of us.

Quote:
It's difficult to conceptually visualize, but a few hardcore racing companies have developed new spindles in contrast to addig spacers under the lca to combat the negative affects of lowering a production based vehicle while preserving the initial suspension dynamics from the factory. In other words there more to adding spacers between the knuckle and lca.
Did you read through the first post? There are a couple that I posted up.

Anyway, I was responding to racepar1's post.

You have a point, but as I stated in my post, the only real difference is LCA length. Which is really quite slight, as the angle of the ball joints makes the additional length of the ball joint/shank not the length the control arm is extended. Here's my crude Paint example:

And as Def stated, the camber and toe curves change very little with this.

I think you guys are making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 12-29-2009 at 12:53 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #70
RastaS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
RastaS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Geder done andy!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #71
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
This is the reason we went ahead with making our set up. Alot of assumptions, I think's, and what if's. Until we get this 95katurbo's car on an alingment rack and take it to the track we will not know the results. Kinda ol'skool engineering I call it. Build it and take it to the track and beat the piss out of it. If it works everyone will want to have his set up. If it breaks into a billion pieces then we will get "the i told you so". As I look at the set up on the ground with the new GM ball joint set up we will be spacing the LCA about 20mm down. The spherical bearing that I intalled works with the up and down movement of the LCA. Essentially affecting nothing at this point. Under lateral G's we will have to wait and see. As far as I can tell I see nothing but positives from our set up. It beats the crap out of an old worn out rubber set up.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #72
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Where did you find the pic of Powered Max fabbing some new hubs?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #73
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Where did you find the pic of Powered By Max fabbing some new hubs?
BTW, it's Parts Shop MAX. Powered By MAX is the website name.