Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-31-2023, 09:52 AM   #1
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (23)
Chief 1402 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
s14 Window Switch alternatives

I just got back in the game.. got a 98 kookie a few days ago and trying to bring it back from the dead. Missing a few items, one of them being the driver window switch..

Has anyone figured out an alternative to the stock switch? I can't find a used switch and even if I were able to, we're talking $200-400 for it and who knows how long it's gonna last?

I know a guy on eBay was selling 3d printed trim with generic switches and it worked on my brothers s14, $130 but he's not selling anymore.

I've been trying to look for something similar and just saw a window switch for a 98-04 frontier for sale, looks identical to an s14 switch. my plug on my car has 10 pins, the switch for sale has 10 pins.. Anyone tried this??

Or any other suggestions? Prefer it looked factory and function like it should. We need a long term fix for the entire community.

If only a Nissan exec or someone with power in the company could push for a production run of parts needed for these cars similar to what Toyota just did for the Supra community..
Chief 1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2023, 09:52 AM   #2
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Here's the link to the frontier switch I mentioned.. My car has 10 pins on the plug, this switch for sale has 10 as well.. Thoughts?

https://www.carparts.com/details/Nis...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-31-2023, 10:10 AM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The pinout is different but you could make a jumper harness or repin your stock harness or just swap wires around. Other vehicles which have basically the same switcch assembly with slight variations/different pinouts include the B14 200SX (I think this one is identical to the D22 Frontier) and the GC8 Impreza 2dr.

If you grab a B14 200SX FSM (I think they're still up on NICO) you can get the pinout, and I've seen the GC8 pinout around. I think the B14/D22 and GC8 also don't use the whole "window amp" setup so you'd bypass that.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
The pinout is different but you could make a jumper harness or repin your stock harness or just swap wires around. Other vehicles which have basically the same switcch assembly with slight variations/different pinouts include the B14 200SX (I think this one is identical to the D22 Frontier) and the GC8 Impreza 2dr.

If you grab a B14 200SX FSM (I think they're still up on NICO) you can get the pinout, and I've seen the GC8 pinout around. I think the B14/D22 and GC8 also don't use the whole "window amp" setup so you'd bypass that.
Yeah I figured the pinout would be different, but the amount of pins matches. Just trying to find something similar to the s14 switch, hopefully it would fit in the stock trim or have to 3d print a trim and cut it.

To my understanding the 95 s14 didn't have an amp, caused fires, so they introduced a built In amp to the switches from 96-98. So in theory you'd still need an external amp for the b14/d22/gc8 you mentioned to be "safe" I'd assume.

Just trying to tackle a problem here that would help the entire community potentially... I'm telling you if someone had a retrofit window switch with the trim and a adapter harness on the market they'd be making a killing in sales for this car..
Old 01-05-2024, 08:23 PM   #5
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So in case you are curious because i sure as shit was, i actually order one of these and got it today.

While it could work with a repin of the harness. You would ALSO need to modify heavily the door switch trim piece. The switches and buttons do line up however you would need to trim down the screw locator in the back and in the front they dont line up at all, you would actually need to cut off the screw holes on the window switch itself because its actually physically longer and wont slide into the door panel.

Ill try to get some pics up.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:30 AM   #6
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
So in case you are curious because i sure as shit was, i actually order one of these and got it today.

While it could work with a repin of the harness. You would ALSO need to modify heavily the door switch trim piece. The switches and buttons do line up however you would need to trim down the screw locator in the back and in the front they dont line up at all, you would actually need to cut off the screw holes on the window switch itself because its actually physically longer and wont slide into the door panel.

Ill try to get some pics up.
Hey, which one did you order? I know AKAdriver suggested an Impreza or 200sx switch. I went with the frontier. I don?t mind cutting the new switch to fit, and trimming the back of the window switch trim. Concrete the new switch in and forget about it as long as the part you see looks oe, and the switches work properly!
Old 01-06-2024, 08:23 AM   #7
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In for pics of the modified switch. Need to find a solution as well.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:25 AM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think I see the problem. It looks like there's an extra 6mm or so of switch body sticking out in front of the lock buttons on the 200SX/Frontier switch while the S14 switch body ends flush with the lock buttons. Looks a little longer on the backside too.

FWIW the GC8 switch does not have this. At least this variation doesn't. You can see the front of the switch body is flush with the lock buttons.

https://subieautoparts.com/product/1...switches-lhrh/
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM   #9
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
As promised, i went with the frontier one which is the same as the B14 one.

Here are the pics obviously the clean one is the new one lol, you could probably make it work, however i dont want to cut up trims or the part. In the pics you will see the holes dont really line up and when you force the back ones, its only a matter of time before they break off. The front would be unsupported and make the problem worse. Additionally when you force the back screws in, it jams the window and door lock forward making them difficult to operate. I did have a look at the wiring, it is simple enough and will work.

over all length

as you can see it kind of lines up.

however for it to line up none screw holes match up.

If you cut the front screw holes off the trim as well as the bracket, you can kind of wedge it in, however it bends the trim and im not sure it will clear the door panel.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:05 PM   #10
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
As promised, i went with the frontier one which is the same as the B14 one.

Here are the pics obviously the clean one is the new one lol, you could probably make it work, however i dont want to cut up trims or the part. In the pics you will see the holes dont really line up and when you force the back ones, its only a matter of time before they break off. The front would be unsupported and make the problem worse. Additionally when you force the back screws in, it jams the window and door lock forward making them difficult to operate. I did have a look at the wiring, it is simple enough and will work.

over all length

as you can see it kind of lines up.

however for it to line up none screw holes match up.

If you cut the front screw holes off the trim as well as the bracket, you can kind of wedge it in, however it bends the trim and im not sure it will clear the door panel.

I appreciate the pictures and additional info you?ve contributed to this idea!! I bought a new oe window switch trim for the driver side, with the intent to cut/shave the 4 mounting holes down, and the new frontier window switch the mounting holes and housing are going to have to be cut/shaved. Want to get everything lined up and make sure it?s 100% and I?ll probably just run epoxy or something around the trim to make sure the trim and switch stay put together.

I don?t know wiring, tried looking at a wiring diagram for the windows on the two cars hoping to find out which wire is for what and can?t make heads or tails of it. And only 3-4 wires on the frontier pigtail even match my 240 wiring. Going to take it all to a friend who does wiring and give you guys an update soon
Old 03-13-2024, 08:49 AM   #11
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Just an update for everyone wondering, the window switch works!! I got the switch brand new for $30, the brand new trim was $80, you’re going to have to source a pigtail from a 99-04 Nissan frontier and re pin the connector or wire it into your existing door wiring. And as mentioned above the trim and the switch housing are going to have to be sanded/trimmed to fit together. But brand new switches for $30??
Old 03-13-2024, 12:54 PM   #12
wezurii
Leaky Injector

wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Yoooo sick man, good to know there are alternatives.
I notice that nissan is slowly discounting several parts, so this is great
wezurii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:02 PM   #13
Chief 1402
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezurii View Post
Yoooo sick man, good to know there are alternatives.
I notice that nissan is slowly discounting several parts, so this is great
I think Nissan could do a little better, knowing that these cars are aging. Toyota had done a survey a few years ago asking everyone what parts they?d like to see them start making again as part of the heritage program. Nissan should do the same.

Trying to do my part in helping the community and I think this window switch is a huge upgrade for everyone with a 240.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:19 AM   #14
wezurii
Leaky Injector

wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Very very true, especially with stuff that nissan knows they only make it.
We don't have alot of even any cars that I might even think of shares stuff that is remotely close to s13 parts haha
wezurii is offline   Reply With Quote