Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
TigWiz

Trader Rating: (0)
TigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Building A Turbo Manifold...Step By Step

Over the next few weeks I'm going to go over all the steps that I follow while building one of my turbo manifolds. I'm always being asked just how I build them, and I've never seen an in-depth write-up on how to make one, so now you're getting one. I will be making this manifold during my break time at work, so progress will be slow, but you will have a complete guide to building a manifold.

Day 1: Prepping the Materials
On the first day I gathered all the materials that I will be using in this manifold and prepared to clean them all. This is a very important step if you want to have a professional quality manifold.

Here is a 90 degree 304SS elbow as I receive them from my supplier. It has ink on the surface along with oils and grease residue from shipping. This will need to be cleaned with acetone to have a good base for the next step.

Here we see the elbow after having been wiped down with acetone. The surface if free of any contaminates, but is not the most appealing, so a mechanical cleaning step will need to be used. This will bring out the luster and beauty of the stainless steel, but will also allow for very nice coloring to be seen after the parts have been welded together.

This is the elbow in its final cleaning phase, and is ready to accept a clean weld. There are many different ways to obtain a finish similar to this on the elbows, but mine remains a trade secret.

Here we have the stainless steel pipe that we will use to make both the collector and parts of the runners in our manifold. This too is covered in ink and oil so it must be clean.

After cleaning not much of a difference is seen, but DO NOT skip this step. You will kick yourself later if you do.

And here is the part after going through a mechanical cleaning step. This is the one process that really makes the parts shine.

Next we will move onto the flanges in the build. No matter how clean you think the flanges may be, do yourself the favor and clean them again. When I first started making manifolds this was one of the biggest mistakes I made. Assuming that the flanges were clean because they were already shiny.

Here is the head flange followed by the turbo inlet flange.

I just happened to take a picture of a B series flange that I had on me, but I will be building a manifold for a SR20DET.

If you are not gong to use the parts you just cleaned right away make sure you store them in a clean location. Here are a lot of the parts being put away for tomorrow.

Now I just so happened to have a little more time today than expected so I started to cut my collector. There are a million ways to do this, and a million different jigs to use, so I'll leave it up to you to figure this out of your own, but I will give you a tip. When cutting your pipe I’ve found that after the first cut you have to rotate the pipe just beyond 90 degrees. For some reason if you rotate the part exactly 90 degrees the collector doesn't meet up cleanly.
Here is just one of the four parts to my collector.

And that’s all for today. Tomorrow I will try to finish my collector and will so you how I prep it for welding the techniques used to do so.

A teaser of two manifolds that I'm working on. At this stage I’m just adding wastegates to the manifolds. The far manifold has an interesting location, it should work out nicely. I hope you all like the write- up so far. Feel free to ask me questions along the way.
TigWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
OfourTHREEfive
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
OfourTHREEfive is making a name for him/her selfOfourTHREEfive is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats awesome you are taking the time to write-it-up.

Thanks.
OfourTHREEfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
this is sick, i'll definitely be following this thread.

what kind of tools are you using for your cutting?
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
TigWiz

TigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura about
I use a few different tools to cut all of my pipe. A bandsaw, a chop saw, and a plasma cutter are used at different points, but other tools can be used to get the same results.
TigWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
cool thread so far +1 for you... Please update when you can I'm sure a lot of us will be subscribing..
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
whats grade of metal is typically used for making exaust manifolds

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
wrapmeup2005
Zilvia Junkie

wrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to beholdwrapmeup2005 is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for sharing your break time with us
Looks too be very informative
+1
wrapmeup2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
gprb25
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
gprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of lightgprb25 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Very nice writeup so far!

Thanks for taking your time to help us.

SUBSCRIBED
Old 05-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
It's nice to see a fellow welder willing to share some info. Most of us are to stingey on sharing how we build things... Especially weld prep techniques and welding techniques...

+1 for you and I'm deffinately subscribing!
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote