Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
AlwaysZenki

Trader Rating: (0)
AlwaysZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question S14 ignition or power issue, always on.

Recently purchased this car and everything looks stock minus the engine was pulled to rebuild and was manual swapped. I bolted up the transmission and installed the Wiring Specialties harness.

After installing the wiring harness I hooked up the battery and the airbag and battery lights came on, weird since the key was in my hand. I then tried the power Windows which functioned with key out.

I proceeded to check the wiring harness power and grounds including fuse box everything seemed fine, if I turn the key forward it?ll cycle the fuel pump properly, the starter will click, but the radio doesn?t power on ever (could just be faulty but worth a mention). But with key removed windows work and air bag + battery light remain solid. I?ve unplugged ignition relay from engine bay fuse box, unplugged 6 pin plug toward ignition cylinder. Problem persists. I?ve searched but no luck finding any solutions any ideas why it always has power?

1995 240SX SE, KA24DE. NO aftermarket alarm, all wiring under dash looks original and not tampered with minus A/T module removed.

Update: pulled every fuse and relay under the dash, one was blown which fixed radio. Radio properly turns off with key. No matter what relay I remove the power issue seems to persist.

Last edited by AlwaysZenki; 07-04-2022 at 09:09 PM..
AlwaysZenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Did you use a Wiring Specialties lower (trans) harness by chance? If so, unplug the 2-pin connector on the alternator and see if you still have these issue.

I just went through a somewhat similar issue, where things would stay powered on after turning off the ignition. Figured out the bulb check relay was getting energized which in turn was keeping the accessory relays energized. Your battery light is what's making me think the issue might be the same even though my issue was on a S13.

Root cause ended up being the 2-pin alternator connector having the wires flipped on my WS lower harness. There's a thick and a thin wire, so should be very easy to compare if you happen to have the old harness laying around.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
AlwaysZenki

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using the WS lower harness. I’ll give that a shot when I get back home today and update the thread. ��
Old 07-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
AlwaysZenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Did you use a Wiring Specialties lower (trans) harness by chance? If so, unplug the 2-pin connector on the alternator and see if you still have these issue.

I just went through a somewhat similar issue, where things would stay powered on after turning off the ignition. Figured out the bulb check relay was getting energized which in turn was keeping the accessory relays energized. Your battery light is what's making me think the issue might be the same even though my issue was on a S13.

Root cause ended up being the 2-pin alternator connector having the wires flipped on my WS lower harness. There's a thick and a thin wire, so should be very easy to compare if you happen to have the old harness laying around.
Gave this a shot, even tried unhooking the alternator and starter altogether and no luck/same issue. Someone else recommended unplugging the F3 dash plug behind ecu and seeing if issue persists. With f3 plug unplugged everything operates normally/no power issue.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:23 AM   #5
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysZenki View Post
Gave this a shot, even tried unhooking the alternator and starter altogether and no luck/same issue. Someone else recommended unplugging the F3 dash plug behind ecu and seeing if issue persists. With f3 plug unplugged everything operates normally/no power issue.
Bummer, worth checking out.

I'd try to dig out a F3 pinout and see what it powers up. My old photobucket account seems to be locked down, I know I had the pinout there at one point. Maybe even reach out to WS and let them know that when you connect their harness you're getting power oddities. I know the 95 wiring is slightly different from 96+ and their harness is supposed to be universal, but maybe something isn't quite right.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
AlwaysZenki

Adding to thread in case anyone happens to have same issue. Yuri wanted purchase history to troubleshoot the harness which is fine but the harness came as package deal when I bought the car so I don’t have it. I dug out an old haggard KA harness I had sitting in storage and swapped them out. Power issue resolved. I think I narrowed it down to 2 wires being different on the F3 connector. Anyways time to get this thing back on the road! Thanks