Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
liquidchicken
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
liquidchicken is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question How Much To Fix S14 Rocker Rust

Hey s14s are really hard to come by in my area and i finally found a good-ish one with a nice swap, only catch is that the rocker panels have some rust, this is the only hole, but the guy said that it is bubbled on both sides, any ideas on cost to fix? Or should i just hold onto my money for a little longer?

Also should mention i dont want the cost to paint it aswell, i just want them fixed and smoothed.
Attach1.jpg
liquidchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
that rust is probably the size of your foot when its all cut up and prep for welding.

roughly labor is $80-85 an hour plus material

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
liquidchicken
Leaky Injector

liquidchicken is a well-known jackass
Bump, anyone else have general price ideas?
liquidchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
On average, rust repair can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000
I've seen higher, I've seen lower. You should take this empty time and do some research.

Learn some stuff, this could be something you can tackle yourself with the right knowledge and tools. The experience is worth more than your money.

DIY rust hole fix
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Fuglychuki91
Zilvia Member

Fuglychuki91 is on a distinguished road
I vote diy it. You can flux weld them although you'd be better off with a mig especially if you've never welded 18 gauge thick metal and under. I've never welded anything prior to owning my s13 so I bought one and fixed the rocker rust myself. It's very very far from perfect but it's better then the holes that where in it. It also was my first time working with filler and really anything body related on a car. Some people know I did a poor job but I can't complain for an old car.

Depending on the extent of your rust I would get a quote at a professional shop and hope and pray they do it the right way(unlike me) haha especially for what you would probably pay. I bought a welder and some sheet metal and spent some time messing with it and then I got my car painted basically by Maaco lol

But here are some pics

Fuglychuki91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
bump for people with s14 rusty rockers
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
I wish fuglychuki91 had talked more about what welding setup he bought. Looks like he was working in a parking lot in jeans so it can't have been too impressive.

I'm tossing between having a shop do my strut towers and doing them myself - I know a shop will want to replace entire towers/aprons while I just want to patch holes TBH. Don't know where the cost will fall between the two as I currently own zero welding equipment. I've used a mig and an arc welder before but that was many years ago.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
I wish fuglychuki91 had talked more about what welding setup he bought. Looks like he was working in a parking lot in jeans so it can't have been too impressive.

I'm tossing between having a shop do my strut towers and doing them myself - I know a shop will want to replace entire towers/aprons while I just want to patch holes TBH. Don't know where the cost will fall between the two as I currently own zero welding equipment. I've used a mig and an arc welder before but that was many years ago.
A cheap mig goes a long way. I know people that swear the Eastwood migs are great. I?ve never personally used one, I was blessed with Miller machines.

I have a Lincoln Tig now in the garage and that takes a bit more finesse.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the tip! I had heard of Eastwood welders but always assumed they were just slapping their logo on Harbor Freight equivalent. It looks like their low end welders are at least packaged/set up differently out of the box for low power MIG jobs on sheetmetal instead of just hot gluing angle iron together with flux wire.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a few friends with Eastwood welders that have seen some abuse. +1 for those.

I personally own a Hobart Handler 140 as it was recommended by another friend. Hobart (made by miller) has a good name and reputation. Met the criteria for me, and while I scored mine new on facebook market place, take advantage of someone (like me) who has this shit sitting around and uses it not even a few times a year.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote