Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #91
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hmmm, looks like the website I'm hosting from is down currently... it should be back up later I hope. And agreed on a good writeup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Aww McCoy's pics are down!

Great write up!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #92
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
Nice write up
digging the multi-purpose work bench
LMFAO

Nice write-up man
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #93
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
heads up for people putting the GC sleeves on

GC supplies some rubber bands that you wrote around the housing and create friction between the housing and the sleeve to hold it in place. Not the most technologically advanced system.

On one side, the rubber band has slid out of place so my sleeve is moving a bit. I don't think it's a huge problem, but I still have to get around to fixing it. I'd have to crack open the locking nut on top which means taking the whole thing off the car.

That and i need to get around to getting helper springs
Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #94
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Just use a few wraps of electrical tape until it's tight. Adjust your springs down and you can do a wrap of tape by lifting the sleeve up.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #95
2toneluv
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
2toneluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn that setup is a grip! my buddy works at ground control and i wanna say they cost waaay less then what you paid
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #96
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toneluv View Post
my buddy works at ground control and i wanna say they cost waaay less then what you paid
Do you want to clarify what costs way less... the GC coilover kit for $399 or OptionZero's whole suspension setup?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #97
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Can someone please take a picture of how far the bottom of the damper housing is from the lower control arm in the front? And how much room is there between the bottom of the damper and the mounting bolt on an S13? I'm looking to drop the shocks as low as possible because I want to be low. I'm guessing Koni doesn't make shorter stroke dampers? I can't seem to get Koni's catalog to load on my computer.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #98
JesusFreakDrifter
Zilvia Addict

JesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud of
i would like to see lower, not slammed, but lower road race setups...............as a matter of fact how low can this setup go, without compromising roll center, and also has anyone thought of an even more efficient way to keep the springs from unseating...im tuned in
Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #99
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakDrifter View Post
i would like to see lower, not slammed, but lower road race setups...............as a matter of fact how low can this setup go, without compromising roll center, and also has anyone thought of an even more efficient way to keep the springs from unseating...im tuned in
To keep the springs from unseating there's helper springs that are like only 100lbs resistance so when all the weight of the car is on the wheels the helper spring is compress but when weight is unloaded the helper spring expands and fills up the gap between spring and spring perch.

I have the front GC/Koni setup on my S13 with veilsides housings and im pretty low. You can either go really low and have good low center of gravity or sit them higher for correct roll center. Im using 6" long 2.5" ID 500# springs.

Im pretty sure though it can go super low but then you run into problems with the top of the tire hitting top of the fender well. Which im having a problem with at VIR in very heavy load high speed cornering.
Time for stiffer springs??
Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #100
2fly2die
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
2fly2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have something kinda like this. great autocross setup
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #101
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking to run something similar to this on my s13.

But I'd like to use the z32 aluminum uprights and q45 rear end, knuckles, etc.

The two caveats with this setup (IMO) are lack of separate lower perch adjustability, and the clunking issue due to unloading and reseating.

For Honda setups, ground control makes a decent extended tophat to prevent bottoming out the shocks. Is there not a similar Nissan application?

I guess I'll pm Richard to see if he can make those housings threaded with some height adjustment.

Last edited by Black R; 11-21-2009 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: typo again
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #102
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
I'm looking to run something similar to this on my s13.

But I'd like to use the z32 aluminum uprights and q45 rear end, knuckles, etc.
Like this... these are richards housings with Koni 8610's in them.

Quote:
The two caveats with this setop (IMO) are lack of separate lower perch adjustability, and the clunking issue due to unloading and reseating.
The rears can go pretty low, and with the right spring length you will have pretty good adjustability out back. As for the clunking, I live in a pretty rough area and never hear clunking, even over uneven railroad tracks at speed, so I just don't see this as being an issue.

If you REALLY want to do something about it, just install a tender spring and be done with it.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #103
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post

The rears can go pretty low, and with the right spring length you will have pretty good adjustability out back. As for the clunking, I live in a pretty rough area and never hear clunking, even over uneven railroad tracks at speed, so I just don't see this as being an issue.

If you REALLY want to do something about it, just install a tender spring and be done with it.

Those are #1 on my list right now, but I just prefer to set ride height independently of preload. That's the only thing missing from that setup imo.

I don't even really mind *clunking* if it's not damaging anything, but it can be annoying and there's always that thought in the back of your head like 'what was that noise?' I know OptionZero posted something about needing tenders because of his seating and unseating randomly and the associated sounds...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #104
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
im doing something like this for my e30. i wish someone would make a affordable plug and play kit that goes low for that car..

these are awesome.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #105
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
great write up!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #106
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post

Those look like the dampers go all the way to the bottom of the housing. Do they? Or can you shorten them up a bit?

Wondering the same thing for the fronts, and how close the bottom of the housing comes to the lower control arm.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #107
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Those look like the dampers go all the way to the bottom of the housing. Do they? Or can you shorten them up a bit?
yep, the struts go all the way to the bottom.

Quote:
Wondering the same thing for the fronts, and how close the bottom of the housing comes to the lower control arm.
Here's the best picture I have... they are close to the LCA, but I do have enough room under the housing to adjust compression.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #108
Sterlz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Sterlz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm glad to see there are some Zilvians who understand and appreciate what QUALITY suspension is!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #109
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I get no clunking/popping on my 8611/8610 setup. I have tender springs in the rear, and get actual usable wheel travel(about 2.5" of droop from static ride height).

Why are you guys set on preloading the main spring. Why would you ever want to do that? Unless you're just talking about keeping it lightly snug, but then again, what does that get you except from even the possibility of more droop travel via a secondary(tender) spring?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #110
koukimatt

koukimatt is on the path to ruinkoukimatt is on the path to ruin
Ground Control complete kit for S14

Sorry for the thread necromancy... I'm still fighting with the crap on my car and I want to get it resolved.

I found this today. I don't know how long it's been around... I checked on GC's site some time before the holidays in 2009 and don't remember seeing it then, so it's relatively new...

Ground Control - Complete Kit - Nissan 240SX (95-98) S14

I see threaded sleeves and height-adjustable lower perches, upper perches, front pillowball upper mounts / camber plates, and an adjuster on top of the rear shaft (unlike my OEM replacement Konis).

It doesn't look like the rear upper mount has any articulation (it can't tilt - ?).

How does this compare to OptionZero's custom setup?

Edit: I just emailed Ground Control for more info, including a list of parts included in the kit, and questions about the upper mounts. I'll try to remember to post their response when I get it.

Last edited by koukimatt; 03-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: email'd GC for more info
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #111
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Wow that is really good find!!! Not much information on this but I wonder if these are the double adjustable 8611s.... because this thread talks about using the correct 8611 shocks... I hope they are....
Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #112
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that is interesting to say the least.
strange that they would sell it @ 1700 w/out any specs whatsoever.
my guess is that they're just using the ots Koni yellows, & not the nicer, double adjustable 8611's
(which is really more than sufficient for prob 90% of us, including myself).
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #113
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I would rather get some KWs for that kind of money.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #114
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^^

I don't think you can fairly compare, unless you know the specifics of the said GC coilover.
KW's are wonderful however.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #115
ColumbusDrift
Leaky Injector

ColumbusDrift is an unknown quantity at this point
koukimatt,

I just emailed GC too. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. An off-the-shelf tuned coilover set-up from a top manufacturer with Koni's that isn't too expensive. I hope they get back to me soon and also hope some of the second party aftermarket parts vendors can carry these at a slightly lower price.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #116
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
I am currently piecing together a setup and wonder what you guys think of this coilover-sleeve setup- 90-97 Mazda Miata EURO Style Coilover Kit 331090 : eBay Motors (item 160417693900 end time May-25-10 14:26:48 PDT)

I wondering if the upper spring perch on those look usable? They are flat rather than conical like I see on other setups. And the tender/helper springs? For the rear? What difference between the two? helper only "holds in place" and tender preloads?

Would the spring seperator/perch( between spring and tender-spring) work as a torrington bearing? or I would still need them? Put tender spring above the main spring? and torrington bearing below everything? or?

Have= 9k/7k stance springs in 7inch and front tein camber plates.
Need= shocks, housings, misc (bushings, torrington bearings etc), and coilover kit/upper spring perches, and rear top hats.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #117
koukimatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
I am currently piecing together a setup and wonder what you guys think of this coilover-sleeve setup- 90-97 Mazda Miata EURO Style Coilover Kit 331090 : eBay Motors (item 160417693900 end time May-25-10 14:26:48 PDT)

I wondering if the upper spring perch on those look usable? They are flat rather than conical like I see on other setups. And the tender/helper springs? For the rear? What difference between the two? helper only "holds in place" and tender preloads?
We're talking about 2 separate things here: the upper spring *perch* (which keeps the spring centered around the shock shaft) and the *mount*, which should allow the shock to pivot independently of the spring.

Take a look at this.

Autocross.dsm.org - Build Your Own Konis

In case that link doesn't work, here's the first picture hosted on Tinypic:

This is what the top of a coilover *should* look like. The upper perch is separate from the mount. Most coilovers have pillow ball joints in the upper mounts.

I bought an OEM-style set of Koni yellows, and used them with Ground Control sleeves and stock upper mounts. The front Konis are probably trashed; when I raise the front of the car and take the wheels off, I can see shock oil dripping out of the tops. The shock shafts may be bent and/or the internal shim stacks and valves may be destroyed. The most likely cause is the lack of articulation in the stock upper mounts.

Don't do it that way.

If you could rig a real upper perch on top of a Koni yellow, and then bolt it up to a Tein pillow ball mount, that might work. But the Koni yellows, plus the Ground Control kit (sleeves + perches + springs) cost me as much as a set of Stance GR+ Pro coilovers. The amount of frustration that I went through just to put the front shocks together wasn't worth any possible cost savings or performance improvement vs. a set of pre-assembled coilovers.

Quote:
Would the spring seperator/perch( between spring and tender-spring) work as a torrington bearing? or I would still need them? Put tender spring above the main spring? and torrington bearing below everything? or?
I would say that torrington bearings aren't required, but they will probably reduce squeaking and they will make the springs behave better.

The upper perches in the eBay auction you linked to are functionally identical to the perches that came with my Ground Control kit. They *might* work if you could secure them to the shock shafts properly (which I wasn't able to do with my setup). You don't want the upper perches to move around on the shaft at all.

Helper/tender springs are supposed to collapse as soon as any force is placed on them. Their only purpose is to keep the (main) springs in contact with the spring perches, so the springs don't bounce loose from the perches if the suspension is unloaded (for example, if the car gets airborne).

Quote:
Have= 9k/7k stance springs in 7inch and front tein camber plates.
Need= shocks, housings, misc (bushings, torrington bearings etc), and coilover kit/upper spring perches, and rear top hats.
I missed the bit about camber plates for some reason. The Teins are fine but you still need some real upper perches, like the Vorshlags that OptionZero recommends in the first post.

Honestly, I would either copy OptionZero's setup as closely as possible... or just buy some coilovers. The only thing I didn't like about my Stances was that even at the max safe height, they were too low for me, considering the roads in my area.

Something else I have realized about suspensions: Don't assume that stiff springs and/or low ride height will cause an improvement in handling. If you want your car to feel planted through corners or while drifting, you should probably look at anti-roll bars (sway bars) and shocks first.

You can use the OEM-style Koni yellows with stock springs. You'll have 4x4 fitment, but your car will ride better than it would with the stock KYB GR2 shocks. However, the Konis don't come with lower spring perches like the GR2s do; you have to cut apart the stock shocks and shove the Konis into them. If you fabricate stuff on a regular basis this would probably not be a big deal for you, but it was a pain in the ass for me. Oh, and the rear OEM-style Konis can't be adjusted while they are installed on a car. Again, either go big (OptionZero setup, Koni double-adjustables with the correct upper perches and mounts) or go cheap and get Stances or something. The middle ground isn't worth the hassle or the perceived cost savings.

Last edited by koukimatt; 05-01-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #118
koukimatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusDrift View Post
koukimatt,

I just emailed GC too. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. An off-the-shelf tuned coilover set-up from a top manufacturer with Koni's that isn't too expensive. I hope they get back to me soon and also hope some of the second party aftermarket parts vendors can carry these at a slightly lower price.
FWIW I never got a reply to my email or the voicemail I left for them.

I would be happy if they would simply list which shocks they were selling with the kit, and if they had more pictures of the tops of each coilover, so I could verify that they were built with real, separate upper spring perches and pillow ball mounts.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #119
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
I already have a set of megan streets. Too much rebound at low speeds and not enough dampening at high speed.
I got them used, and for temporary setup, don't flame please... I KNOW they suck.
I have stock front sway bar and no rear(base model), I have stock rear one, but have not installed it yet.

I am just confused in the names, I will just call them upper spring mount/perch and upper shock mount

I still don't understand why I NEED "real" upper spring perches.
Do the upper spring perches look ok on the ebay link? All I need is some space for some movement/articulation? and make sure they centered on the shaft?

Middle ground not worth the hassle? to me its worth it, my megans suck... really bad.
heres my calculations so far--
have-
90= tien camber plates
70= stance 9k/7k springs(can replace later)
need-
100= ebay coilover kit, has sleeves, tendersprings and upper spring perches
800=8610 insert x4
600=housings front and rear
50-100=misc bearings, bushings, etc
~100= rear pillowball top mounts

I am looking at ~1800ish after its said and done.

much further than the 2400+ people spend to do it "right" with 8611's
I don't want to deal with the dual adjustable shocks, I don't have data logging or the cash to use them fully.
I also don't want to use the yellows, no external adjustment in the back and the front does not have much shock travel on lowered car.

I have only ridden in 240sx's with my megans or my friends tien he's which are better than the megans, but still left me wanting more. I've never ridden on stance, but all the koni's setups I have ever ridden on were ALWAYS great or good(both comfort and handling), never bad or ok. The megans are ok at best.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #120
crashjust4kix

crashjust4kix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You can't use 861x series struts with the stock strut housing. Those require a gland nut up top, and I believe are too big of a diameter for the stock housing.
(I know this is an old ? but I wanted to clarify)

Actually, it's possible but far from ideal. I had to do that recently when we were in a time crunch to get on the track,and couldn't fab a whole set of housings in time. you only gain roughly 1/2" of bump travel over stock I believe, the tire clearance is far from great, and no off-the-shelf gland nuts are cut in a thread that will work with a stock housing i.d.- something needs to be made. However, if you're realy hurting for cash and can make some of your own parts, they will fit and work pretty well if you don't go too low.

Just thought I'd throw the info out there.