Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #121
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatche View Post
Bardabe, we have 4 classes now. Last year was just 3.
sweet! I have updates on my car so hoping to shake down over the summer!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2017, 04:26 AM   #122
Marphie21

Trader Rating: (0)
Marphie21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any more updates?

BTW, what did you use for the rubber that seals the gap between the splitter and the bottom of the front bumper?
Marphie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #123
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marphie21 View Post
Any more updates?

BTW, what did you use for the rubber that seals the gap between the splitter and the bottom of the front bumper?
Hey Marphie,
That is ebay rubber lip. I wouldn't recommend it if you are using it for high speed as it will deform under high speeds.

Just picked up the head.. got busy weekend ahead.
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #124
UG-T
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
UG-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Love the build

Thought you may want to look into this

https://www.rhdjapan.com/jun-high-fl...ctric-fan.html
UG-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #125
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UG-T View Post
Love the build

Thought you may want to look into this

https://www.rhdjapan.com/jun-high-fl...ctric-fan.html
Thank you! e-pump would be cool!

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Almost done with putting the engine back in. some wiring to do for the new injectors/ rearrange intercooler pipe, etc.

Next event is on 5/13 so gotta get moving to finish and have it tuned. will report back!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #126
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
koukimonst3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
Pulled head and found that #1/#4 pistons are slightly melted around the edges. This is probably from extreme exhaust temperature..

This is what I'm afraid of, finally gonna get a compression test after owning my s14 sr for 4 years

ig : koukimonst3r
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #127
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIV+ View Post
This is what I'm afraid of, finally gonna get a compression test after owning my s14 sr for 4 years
Haha. Yeah I do compression test pretty often. Matter of fact, I just performed one after putting everything back in. 150psi on all 4 so I'm relieved

completed everything

went back to Koji for another session; I guess this is what proper dyno numbers look like on 2871r .86.

It's hard to see but first set of graphs is high boost (19psi) with hood open (350hp 330hp with hood closed) /low boost (15psi) with hood closed (291hp)
Second set of graphs is before the head gasket/ ID injectors / Freddy manifold (260hp) / after (350hp)
All tuned on 91 pump gas

To summarize: don't go high compression for turbo unless going e85.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #128
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Nice work.

Any idea on the spike?? Is that a boost spike @ 4500 RPM??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #129
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Nice work.

Any idea on the spike?? Is that a boost spike @ 4500 RPM??
Hey! yeah I'm still running internal and looking to upgrade to tubular + external. we had some difficulties using the greddy profec as well. I guess we will reserve that for next tune.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #130
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Cool. I had problems with the Greddy, but on an entirely different turbo lol.

Standard gate does have problems both keeping shut at the higher boost levels and just impeding flow/causing back pressure in general.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #131
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
Haha. Yeah I do compression test pretty often. Matter of fact, I just performed one after putting everything back in. 150psi on all 4 so I'm relieved

went back to Koji for another session; I guess this is what proper dyno numbers look like on 2871r .86.

It's hard to see but first set of graphs is high boost (19psi) with hood open (350hp 330hp with hood closed) /low boost (15psi) with hood closed (291hp)
Second set of graphs is before the head gasket/ ID injectors / Freddy manifold (260hp) / after (350hp)
All tuned on 91 pump gas

To summarize: don't go high compression for turbo unless going e85.

Yeah I'm gonna do a compression test on thursday, track day on the 14th, hopefully the numbers are good. I have a Tomei 7960 with a failed internal, went external turbosmart 40mm and it stopped my boost creep.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #132
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Cool. I had problems with the Greddy, but on an entirely different turbo lol.

Standard gate does have problems both keeping shut at the higher boost levels
and just impeding flow/causing back pressure in general.
Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna do a compression test on thursday, track day on the 14th, hopefully the numbers are good. I have a Tomei 7960 with a failed internal, went external turbosmart 40mm and it stopped my boost creep.
yeah I think internal is not working out so well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/13/2017 Nissan challenge rd. 4.

Engine was running strong w/ egt max at 1350 F, ect max at 209 F, and oil temp max at 210 F. This was probably the first time engine ran this good finally.. of course I had to mess something up. I forgot to tighten the oil cap so it flew off somewhere

went to test out the camping gear and realized I didn't have blanket lol. slept in the 4runner with the heat on

went out to autozone to buy a stupid oil cap cover. this is the second time I had forgot to tighten that cap..

New Number for remaining of 2017!

Hapy with the result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTFuOu_XbtY

Best lap time of the day was 1:23:36 which was enough to win the Class 2!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #133
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
How is towing with a 3rd Gen Runner? I just got one earlier this month.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #134
locodrftr
Zilvia Member

locodrftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good Peter, it's me Ted by the way
locodrftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #135
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
How is towing with a 3rd Gen Runner? I just got one earlier this month.
Cool! these cars are becoming pretty popular with overlanding. They are ok with towing. Obviously lacks power so going up hills with OD off is challanging sometimes. I have a really small trailer so I think it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locodrftr View Post
Looks good Peter, it's me Ted by the way
Hey Ted!

Welcome back to zilvia! hope to see your work on here!

If you guys wanna see ted's welds instagram: heliarc_hustler
Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #136
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

My compression numbers were 160, 160, 156, 160. Track day went fine except I now have a turbo manifold problem for the 3rd time ��. Upgrading flange studs to arp and adding locking tabs as well as stover lock nuts. It may also have to do with my cusco engine mounts, chopped the test pipe and added a flex pipe.

What did you use to keep yours together?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 AM   #137
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
My compression numbers were 160, 160, 156, 160. Track day went fine except I now have a turbo manifold problem for the 3rd time ��. Upgrading flange studs to arp and adding locking tabs as well as stover lock nuts. It may also have to do with my cusco engine mounts, chopped the test pipe and added a flex pipe.

What did you use to keep yours together?
I can almost promise it will pull apart again.

The key to all the woes is simply the exhaust to transmission mount bracket. That and a flex in the downpipe is what cured my problem.

If you think about it, the turbo is in a constant state of trying to pull away from the manifold (turbo is hanging down off the manifold). Couple that with several thousand heat cycles and vibrations and no matter type of adamantium you use for hardware, the turbo and manifold will inevitably separate. The problem is exacerbated with more power (heat) and track usage (heat cycles). The studs is what the issue is btw, and NOT the mounting/locking hardware. The studs themselves see several thousand heat cycles and end up stretching and contracting hundreds of thousands of times with no cooling being available. Once the studs are compromised, the locking hardware is useless. And this is why I ALWAYS recommend OEM Inconel studs and not any aftermarket bling bling trash. That or the TSE $100 kit from the miata guys (Inconel studs and stage 8 locking hardware).

Not sure how many times I have said this to folks lol. a few options
1) weld a bracket to the compressor housing and suspend the turbo/manifold combo off the engine
2) Run the exhaust/transmission bracket with flex section
3) Weld them together.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #138
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just put in a flex pipe, get a stainless one for 10 dollars or so off ebay and have it welded in.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #139
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
Just put in a flex pipe, get a stainless one for 10 dollars or so off ebay and have it welded in.
That does not solve the inherent problem.......especially for a track day vehicle
Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #140
Extreme Dimensions
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (9)
Extreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
From start to finish is a fun read.
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #141
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I can almost promise it will pull apart again.

The key to all the woes is simply the exhaust to transmission mount bracket. That and a flex in the downpipe is what cured my problem.

If you think about it, the turbo is in a constant state of trying to pull away from the manifold (turbo is hanging down off the manifold). Couple that with several thousand heat cycles and vibrations and no matter type of adamantium you use for hardware, the turbo and manifold will inevitably separate. The problem is exacerbated with more power (heat) and track usage (heat cycles). The studs is what the issue is btw, and NOT the mounting/locking hardware. The studs themselves see several thousand heat cycles and end up stretching and contracting hundreds of thousands of times with no cooling being available. Once the studs are compromised, the locking hardware is useless. And this is why I ALWAYS recommend OEM Inconel studs and not any aftermarket bling bling trash. That or the TSE $100 kit from the miata guys (Inconel studs and stage 8 locking hardware).

Not sure how many times I have said this to folks lol. a few options
1) weld a bracket to the compressor housing and suspend the turbo/manifold combo off the engine
2) Run the exhaust/transmission bracket with flex section
3) Weld them together.
well explained! I have mine welded. I have titanium cat-back and flexible hose on the down pipe. It was still backing out.
Cheapest solution is factory hardware + tack welds. or v-band. If you go back few pages, you will see how mine was welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
From start to finish is a fun read.
Thank you!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

Put carpet back in to run Global Time Attack Street Class!

looking forward to 6/3/2017
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #142
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Enjoyed the build so far. If you're interested, there is another time attack league called racefreely (ig: racefreely) that has events at grange motor circuit. The next event is July 22. I've taken my car to the canyons a few times but this is going to be its first (and my first) track shakedown.
Anyways, keep up the good work! Those look like good times and the car looks good, too!
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #143
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Man, grange is such a small "track" to run a grip car on lol. Great for drifting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #144
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post
Enjoyed the build so far. If you're interested, there is another time attack league called racefreely (ig: racefreely) that has events at grange motor circuit. The next event is July 22. I've taken my car to the canyons a few times but this is going to be its first (and my first) track shakedown.
Anyways, keep up the good work! Those look like good times and the car looks good, too!
Thanks! I'll try to make it if I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Man, grange is such a small "track" to run a grip car on lol. Great for drifting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll check it out!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......

Entered GTA (Global Time Atttack) rd. 3 @WSIR.

Personal best time of 1:32.411. 2nd place in Street class.

I will update with in-car footage.

Images above by Amanda Gift SNAPS Studio If sharing please give photo credit by tags & hashtags. Photo: @snapsstudio #snapsstudio @globaltimeattack #globaltimeattack

Images above by Matt Viramontes MCV Imagery If sharing please give photo credit by tags & hashtags. Photo: @mcv_imagery #mcvimagery @globaltimeattack #globaltimeattack
Old 06-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #145
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

water temp peaked out at 225. I'm gonna switch over to nismo thermostat.

I was talking to Koji and he told me that there is alot of timing pulled at that temperature.

I don't think I should be this much slower than e90 m3..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTEK4Q547U
Old 06-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #146
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
you have any idea if time attack is done in the midwest. so i can get track time.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #147
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
you have any idea if time attack is done in the midwest. so i can get track time.
not sure 123, I'm sure there are plenty of track days over in mid-west though.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #148
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

ARP studs, OEM Nissan locking tabs and stover lock nuts held fine! Sayonara turbo manifold problems. Followed you on instagram too!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #149
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
ARP studs, OEM Nissan locking tabs and stover lock nuts held fine! Sayonara turbo manifold problems. Followed you on instagram too!
Awesome! your car looks super clean!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #150
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Swapped to nismo thermostat

temp @ around 170 degree F cruising. Hopefully this helps out at the track!

Not sure if I can make it to next GTA but will definately go to the next nissanchallenge on 8-20-17!