Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:32 AM   #91
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Deezal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheers guys, hopefully the weather holds out for Saturday as there's some mixed reports coming in. Joys of being in the middle of the ocean is they're never sure what the weather is doing.

Basically all of the little tidy up jobs I wanted to do are sorted, she's ready to roll.
Deezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #92
Gr1mey_Norm
Leaky Injector

Gr1mey_Norm is a well-known jackass
I hate that photo bucket ruined this thread...I wanna see!!!
Gr1mey_Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:11 AM   #93
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Hopefully between the build video I threw together and my facebook page it will keep you satisfied.

Will get an update together over the next day or two. Was a bit of a non event at Highlands but has given me a well needed kick in the ass to sort a few underlying issues out and get on top of things.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #94
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
This is awesome...

Any worries on the gearbox holding the torque?

Also, your VVL cam change sounds pretty late, where the turbo has already built up some boost. I found you want to change it right as you start getting reasonable positive pressure in the intake manifold. You can't just do a sweep on the low lobes and then on the high lobes and pick the point via that, as the turbo will be a dog coming into boost down at low RPM on the high lobes. You've got to use the low lobes to get the turbo somewhat up to speed, then the high overlap and early exhaust valve opening of the high lobes will make it really come on boost quickly.

If you still have trouble getting the boost to come in earlier, I'd probably go to a tighter turbine housing A/R, as I think another few hundred RPM of powerband in the midrange is going to make you faster than a tad more power on the very top of the powerband based on how the car drives. It seems slowest compared to other cars coming out of corners, and it's easy to miss how much time that costs you on a turbo car. Versus I think you're looking at maybe a tenth a second max per lap if you took off 20-30 HP up top.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #95
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, yes I am a little paranoid about how much more power I can get out of it but speaking to another tune shop last week confirmed my suspicions that the dyno my car is tuned on is rather optimistic. In reality it's more like 550WHP and quite peaky at that as you've just made mention to. It's not the VVL you're hearing switch that late, that's the wastegate opening. That's how lazy it is building boost. The transaxle has a 10" diff in it and had the back off it when I was having shifting issues and everything still looks like new in there.

After having the car away 10 days ago and getting smoked by 200HP honda's off hairpins I pulled the motor out and got the info from Kelford to get the cams on the right centerline's. Inlet was out by 6 degrees and 12 degrees on the exhaust as we'd worked off the high lobe centers on the spec sheet thinking that's what we were after. With the engine mounted the way it is you can't do it in the car.

Then got it out for a quick test on track Thursday last week, had unfortunately damaged the wastegate lines getting the motor in and out so it was free boosting. Definitely had far better spool than previously, booked to go back on the dyno next Saturday and see how much we've achieved. Tune is far enough out that I'm not keen on trying to road tune it at that boost level.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #96
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Was a mixed back at Highlands, will have to put a grub screw into the shifter pivot to lock it onto the selector as it gave me grief again in the morning.

Qualified on P2, the warm up lap for the first race was that slow I couldn't get any temp in anything and went off on the first lap at the hairpin as it wouldn't stop while trying to retake my starting position after avoiding other people on the first turn. Was almost back through the field when I tried to make a move down the inside on the LS powered RX7 and ran out of space, tried to pull back out and tangled wheel to wheel which put me out for the rest of the day as we couldn't get a tyre on the spare wheel before we came up. Also gave the bottom arm a good tweak. I'll take some of the blame as it pinched the front right which I'd already flat spotted quite badly going into the 2nd hairpin infront of the museum in qualifying.

Had a spare outer at home so have swapped that over and glued it back up, will have a tyre back on it next week.

Definitely need to fix the spool issue before I go back up there as it's lucky to have 100wkw coming off the corners, trying to pass 200hp Honda's and they were going back passed untill I could get it spooled and to go down a gear it was too short. Was going bloody nice through the high speed left hander through the trees, apex speed around 185-190. With some more confidence I firmly believe I can go through there flat at 200+.

Have also found I'm getting quite a bit of flex in the rear hubs and the brake rotors are eating the sides out of the bottom ball joint carriers. Job for next week to work out what's causing that.

On top of that, have found I'm another victim of the notorious cracked Mazworx inlet manifolds, runners for cylinder 2 and 4 2/3 of the way around where it attaches to the head flange. Getting them welded back up and will get the mounting face machined as I found it has 0.5mm deflection in it.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #97
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The cracked manifold could have been one of your reasons for such slow spool this whole time. The turbo and wastegate was having to overcome the pressure loss.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:03 AM   #98
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Only hairline cracks through the outer surface of the welds, not right through the runners. More cosmetic than anything but I'd rather not leave it to get any worse.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #99
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Fairly successful day on the dyno, made 565RWKW = 758RWHP There's been plenty of discussion about how generous this dyno is but I'm happy to lay claim it's a healthy 700hp at the fly any day of the week on 27psi. Took the 2wd record, 5kw more than a 2JZ MK4 supra on 4psi more boost than the JZ. Was going to run more boost but on a standard bore I thought we were reaching the limit as it was starting to breathe quite heavily so called it a day. Remembered when I got home that I hadn't drained the breather out so it was half full of ethanol after trying to get it started... Oh well

Definitely made a huge difference for spool moving the cams after getting the info off kelford for the low lobes. Moved the exhaust cam 12degrees and the inlet 6.
You'll also see the boost curve is a lot flatter on 22psi which is where it will be spending most of its time. 3rd graph is an overlay from last time, both on 60% duty cycle.

Should haul off corners far better now!

Big thanks to the guys at Ralston Sheetmetal and Probuilt engines for getting the inlet manifold and a few other things tidied up this week and milling the manifold flange to get the car on the dyno today. Hopefully the runners don't crack again now that it's all squared up.

Made some PTFE lines for the wastegate today so I can get rid of all the nuisance rubber lines I had been using.

Top element for the rear wing is getting an extra layer of carbon wrapped around it as it was getting a little bit of twisting action going on at speed.

Next major item on the hit list is sorting out the suspension arms and hubs. Thinking it may need billet hubs in the back at least. Rear wheels were moving over 10mm forward on the dyno today and we've also noticed that the rotors have been giving the bottom ball joint carriers a touch up. Joys of pioneering something that was never designed to take the power it's being submitted too.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #100
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Had the car back out a little over a week ago, unfortunately the new hubs and bottom A arms weren't ready so had to make do.

Qualified on Pole and won the first and second races convincingly.

Unfortunately kicked the throttle cable off the accelerator pedal half way through the 3rd race so DNF'd that one, definitely need to modify how it mounts to the pedal as my extra 2 cable ties to help hold it in clearly isn't enough to cut it. Have since made a bracket to hold the crimp on the end of the throttle cable so it's locked in place and won't allow the rubber retainer to be able to shoot out the side.

Won the last race of the day quite comfortably in a heavily reduced field. Best lap times for the first 3 races were within about a tenth of one another and then managed to get another 4 tenths in the last race to get down to a 61.7 as the track started to come back as the day cooled off. I suppose 1 tenth off my official PB on 8psi less boost on a slow track wasn't too bad. Whole new car to drive now with more throttle response.

With my corner speed still lacking to what I wanted I never bothered to wind up the Boost, best times of the day were on 16PSI. Approx 450hp, was enough to keep the supercharged LS7 corvette behind to the loop so no point in giving it anymore.

Now for some soul searching and a new set of tyres for speedfest and see if I can find another 10+kph around the loop.

Below is footage of race 2 as I didn't get the farewell recorded, obviously knocked a button and ended up with a 2000 photo time lapse of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7k497a4bE

Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 AM   #101
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Update time again gentlemen, hasn't been too much happen in the last 2 months just the usual mad rush now to make sure everything is ready to rock for next weekend.

The hubs and new bottom A arms are finally in and finished. Had the car out last night and unofficially beat my PB by over a second just testing. Only would it up to 19psi for the last 2 laps before we threw it in the trailer. All new rubber going on for race day as the tyres are over a year old now and have done all the miles the car has done since the first race day.

Huge thanks to Wayne and Des from MPE for looking after me on getting the hubs and arms sorted out, was a good test for the new Haas CNC machine, machined out of billet 4140. Arms are now the thickest wall molly in that size and we've done away with the ball joint and gone to a spherical bearing on the bottom also. Made the plywood jig at home to keep the geometry as close to the same as possible and setup the arms/hubs and ensure everything would bolt straight in.

Also swapped out the master cylinder for the rear brakes to try and get more rear braking as we had the bias bar maxed out. Numerous other little tidy up jobs on the go also, car is the best it's been without a doubt. Just got to get the rear grip back again...

Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #102
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The car is looking awesome! This is by far one of my favorite builds.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #103
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, racing 3 weeks ago was a dud. Alternator had failed for qualifying and didn't even make it 1 lap on 6 volts as it wouldn't even fire the coils, the car draws 30A at idle. Then for race one the throttle jammed on the warm up lap as I was a bit rough on it and bent the bracket for the throttle cable. Started off the back for the first race on Sunday and the brakes felt pretty average from the beginning, found after the race that both front brake rotors had pretty big cracks in them. 2 seconds slower than in testing with a best lap of a 1.02.4

Took 2 laps for the new tyres to come on song but after they did it wasn't feeling too bad.

If nothing else the old SR20 was going nicely, the old Dawker Camaro is a healthy 700hp and managed to get Jeremy to the line by .001 from a good 4 car lengths back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5xr0LO1vs

The brakes were one of the only things on the car when I bought it, found that the rotors are off a Mitsubishi 3000GT so off the shelf performance ones are out of the question. Got some DBA rotors and custom hats machined to suit to replace those.

Today on the other hand was far more successful, achieved my first major milestone. Broke the minute barrier 3 laps in a row, got a few laps in on the wastegate to get the car to a point I was happy which almost had me there and then dropped the tyre pressures a little and threw 19psi at it. The new DBA rotors with custom hats made the brake pedal feel a lot better, still got to get more accustomed to the complete lack of feedback in the pedal. A bit more confidence makes a huge difference in being able to push the car.

Only real drama was the left rear tyre now has a nice chunk missing out of it somehow? Have to get another one, and tidy up a few little things for Highlands in a months time and we'll be away laughing.

Doing a sub 60 for real will have to wait for next season.

For reference the best of the weekend warriors in 997/991 Porsche cup cars do about the same times I was doing today. Pro's are roughly a second faster on soft tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-Dyk19vgI
Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #104
CaliforniaMayhem
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaliforniaMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Loved the ending, WOOOO YEAHHH hahaha.
CaliforniaMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:01 AM   #105
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, I kinda forgot all about updating this. Got some far more realistic power figures now, did 570whp on a mainline at 31psi on a 2nd gen Precision 6062. Far more responsive than the old Holset, just had a race day on sunday. 2 2nd places and 2 1st places plus the round win. No footage worth uploading as the day was pretty miserable, Next race day is in a months time.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 AM   #106
moto21
Leaky Injector

moto21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you going to be sticking with the precision or are you planning on opting for something else?
moto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #107
Deezal
Leaky Injector

I got the precision at cost, so I really can't complain. Supposedly every bit as capable as a GTX3576 and it's a lot better than the holset I had before. I couldn't justify the extra cost of going to a EFR and butchering a lot of what I've already done. If I was starting from scatch again though I would have genuinely considered it.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #108
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Hey guys, been a while. In the december meeting the head lost the head off a valve which then took out another 2 valves and more or less destroyed that engine.

The only bits we saved without having to give them at least a little TLC were the crank and the valve springs. On the plus side I now have a lot more spares...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJd22T5LYE

Full rebuild and 2 months later we had it back on track for the classic speedfest. Qualified on pole but lost my time due to a transponder issue so started 8th. Caught my brothers R32 mid race and stuck with him through traffic. Now had custom Manley 1mm O/S valves instead of the standard ones which everyone assured me could handle the heat?

Car is a lot better in the handling department now after some major spring rate changes and other minor adjustments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRSFi1f7tM

Race 2 was a wet race, started on pole and drove away from the field.

Race 3 I started on pole again and set another PB on Lap 3, Lap 4 would have been faster again if not for getting a little loose through turn 2. On pace now with Factory spec GT3 cars in race trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCETaJE2Ww

Race 4 I lined up beside the 750hp VQ35HR turbo toyota levin, he keeped creeping on the start and as soon as the lights went out I nailed it but found the rev limiter almost straight away. He had no such issues, especially having a sequential. Managed to pass him on the outside through turn 2 and manage the gap till the end. Brakes & tyres went off big time mid race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptMQxG7vHs

Next event is in a couple of weeks.