Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
240dk
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
240dk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Piggy SR Street/Drift Build

Hi Everyone!

Well this is like my bizillionth 240. This will be the 2nd one that I have put an SR in. This build will be for a daily driver/drift car. Eventually it may become more of a drift car than a daily, but for now its all about having a fun car.

Car -
S13 90 Hatchback Piggy
130,xxx original miles on the body

Picked up a hell of a deal locally on Craigslist. Picked up complete SR Swap for $800!! SOOO whats the catch you say? Bottom end is trashed, crank is scarred from a spun bearing and has been taken apart. Here is what I got in the deal -

-Sr20det Engine
-SR Wiring harness already wired for s13
-Front mount Intercooler & piping
-Greddy Blow Off
-Full 3" downpipe back exhaust
-Exedy Clutch and Stock pressure plate
-All Accessories
-All Belts
-Transmission
-Turbo, lines, etc
-Pretty much everything!

Dual Row KA Radiator I already had

Found another awesome deal on craigslist, I had to drive almost 2 hours for this one but was well worth it. $200 for SR long block, the guy didn't know for sure what was wrong with it if anything. He got it awhile back from a buddy doing a partout, so he was letting it go cheap. I figured what the hell, Ill check it over and give it a shot.

Long block came with Comedic metal head gasket and ARP headstuds. Looks clean overall!

Checked the bottom end bearing clearances with plastigauge. Everything checked out good and everything was clean. Scored a set of NDC rod bearings on eBay for $20. Went ahead and installed them.

Out with the old KA24E

Got a tubular manifold for cheap locally. Traded the purple valve cover for a red one. Prepped the SR.

Ready to go in!

Thats better!

Spent a few weekends hooking everything up, plumbing the intercooler, installing the wirining harness, etc. Didn't take too many pictures during this because I was so excited to just get the thing running! Also picked up a Walbro 255 and installed that.

I had an old Ford Probe cold air intake laying around and wondered to myself, I wonder if I could make this fit for my turbo intake? The answer is yes! Had to cut it signically to make it shorter, but it worked perfect. Even already had a bung for the hose coming from the valve cover.

Installed Thermostatic electric fan controller with manual override switch. Picked up the kit from ORielly. This kit is awesome and I recommend it to anyone. It comes with the built in fuse, relay, thermo probe that simply goes in your radiator fins, and instructions. It allows you to use the AC wire on the kit as a manual override if you like. That is what I did and it works great! Installed the switch and everything is working great. Fans turn on and off by themselves at 190 degrees. And did I mention it is the correct, SAFE way to install your electrics fans? Don't just tap into some switch source that you have no idea what the circuit is designed for and the amps it is supposed to carry. Good way to fry shit and blow fuses/relays.

Link to kit - Hayden 3652 - Thermostatic Fan Control | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Installed and Mounted Boost Gauge

Trimmed and Installed front bumper and piggy lip. As she sits now

Installed Circuit sports fuel rail adapter and an aftermarket FPR since neither of my engines came with the stock FPR. Cranked her up and she runs great! Fixed a few coolant leaks and checked the timing. Ready to hit the road soon!

Traded the orginal SR engine with the messed up bottom end for a GSP 3076r T2 and a top mount fuel rail.

So here is what still needs to be done. This is short term and long term -

-Weld up Diff (hopefully getting a welder for xmas)
-Square g6 wheels 17x9 all the way around
-Coilovers
-Finish the kit for the GT3076 (external Wastegate, fuel injectors, maf, tune, etc.)
-shooting for 400whp
-A little concerned this turbo may be too laggy for drifting, but if it is I will sell it and get something different
240dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
240dk
Leaky Injector

Finally got my adapter in for the oil pressure gauge. 1/8th NPT to 1/8th BSPT adapter from Glowshift. It was only like $10 shipped. Installed all the gauges and they all work, with no leaks!! I used RTV instead of teflon tape on the oil sender adapter and it sealed up real nice. I am going to have to make a custom bracket so I will have room for my radio. Wired the guages in with the headlight switch wire coming off of the dimmer switch. Red with a Blue stripe was the wire I used and it worked wonderfully.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Careful with that adapter for the oil pressure hanging off the motor. Very common to snap the adapter from vibrations etc. it's better to mount the sending unit remotely with braided line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
240dk
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Careful with that adapter for the oil pressure hanging off the motor. Very common to snap the adapter from vibrations etc. it's better to mount the sending unit remotely with braided line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a manual gauge so it does not have a sending unit. Just a brass fitting with nylon tube and whatever kind of nipple like connector that it uses. I do not for see it snapping off with no weight on it. I did away with the stock sending unit.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
240dk
Leaky Injector

Started working on my custom 3 gauge fiberglass bezel. Cut out the templates, now just need to glue them together and in the bezel and ready it for fiberglass. Please keep in mind this is my FIRST fiberglass project ever. lol

Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
240dk
Leaky Injector

Did some more work to the custom gauge pod this weekend. Glued the template in place. I used an old shirt to fiberglass with. Glued that in place just like I wanted it then I mixed and brushed the fiberglass resin on. Took a few hours to dry but came out pretty nice. Next will be sanding, priming and painting. I think I am going to go with a flat black textured paint.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
CaliforniaMayhem
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaliforniaMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey I think it's awesome that you are posting a build thread of your own. Even if it has been covered many times it's still fun for people to check out what you've done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240dk View Post
Hi Everyone!

Picked up complete SR Swap for $800!! SOOO whats the catch you say? Bottom end is trashed, crank is scarred from a spun bearing and has been taken apart. Here is what I got in the deal -

Installed Thermostatic electric fan controller with manual override switch. Picked up the kit from ORielly. This kit is awesome and I recommend it to anyone. It comes with the built in fuse, relay, thermo probe that simply goes in your radiator fins, and instructions. It allows you to use the AC wire on the kit as a manual override if you like. That is what I did and it works great! Installed the switch and everything is working great. Fans turn on and off by themselves at 190 degrees. And did I mention it is the correct, SAFE way to install your electrics fans? Don't just tap into some switch source that you have no idea what the circuit is designed for and the amps it is supposed to carry. Good way to fry shit and blow fuses/relays.

Link to kit - Hayden 3652 - Thermostatic Fan Control | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Great come up on that motor set--WOW!

Also I stumbled onto this by searching for a wiring solution to my own fans so thanks for that tidbit of info there--score
CaliforniaMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
240sx707

240sx707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome info on the fans!

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
407s14sr20det

407s14sr20det is an unknown quantity at this point