Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #1231
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Lucky, what part of Philly are you in? I’m local and should have my car up here in the next couple of months. Is your car street legal? If so what steps did you have to take in order to get it inspected? I’m coming from Fla and there were no inspections or emissions down there.
Oh hey, welcome to Philly, I remember following your build back when you were in Florida, good stuff. I'm pretty much in the middle of the city, hence the difficulty working on the 240 lately. Finally got a place with a garage about 5 months ago but a 911SC resto project got that spot. The 240 is currently parked up in the Lehigh Valley but I'm hoping to have another garage in the next month or two to bring it down here. On top of all that, I street park my Miata too. I'm an idiot trying to live in the city and keep all these cars

Anyway, I've had it inspected before, just gotta find understanding shops. Been sitting a bit and may last one has since expired so I have to take care of that again. I mean, it can out brake and out steer 99% of cars on the road, it's very safe in that regard and meets the requirements for lighting and all that but I've had shops just look at it and say no. Being an 89 helps at least, it's emissions exempt.

I'll shoot you a DM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #1232
S13VE

Trader Rating: (0)
S13VE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
I am on my DET
What setup did you go with?
S13VE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #1233
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Another trackcross event complete. Car did well, however on long sweeping or high g left handers, the car just completely dies for 2-3 secs.....which cost me a top 6 easily. Car made is the almost 200 mile round trip plus how many track miles.

Going to drop in the N1s, keep the boost @ 14 on the 7163 and go have some fun.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #1234
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Another trackcross event complete. Car did well, however on long sweeping or high g left handers, the car just completely dies for 2-3 secs.....which cost me a top 6 easily. Car made is the almost 200 mile round trip plus how many track miles.

Going to drop in the N1s, keep the boost @ 14 on the 7163 and go have some fun.
do you run a fuel swirl tank or like a holley fuelmat or anything?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #1235
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
So I was recommend on Holley HydraMat. I had the ECU failsafe for oil pressure as well. However, was unable to setup data log before or during the event (long story). So I am not sure if it's fuel starvation or ecu failsafe or both. Tough to glance down at the race dash when trying to hang on because #stockseat (a part of why I wasn't able to setup datalogging......yeah long story).

I am "guessing" fuel starvation as if it was an oil pressure issue, I figured it would occur on both right AND left handers (the custom oil pan baffle, designed off the old Jun drop in stock pan design, is symmetrical on both sides). We will see

Will probably throw in the hydramat and see. Tough to test on the street however as there is no way in hell I am going to be full send on any on ramp
Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #1236
S13VE

Sounds like fuel starvation.

I doubt you're going fast enough in corners to cause oil surge unless you're on slicks?

I run a basic surge tank setup and that eliminated all fuel surge issues for me. IO was getting fuel starvation issues even with under 200rwkw and on semi's in my CA s13.

You can carry more fuel to get around it but the weight can make the car more rear biased.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #1237
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ I am going to grab a holley hydramat. Thanks for reminding me!

So.........anyone else want to report on thier setup?? I see a bunch via insta, but build threads seem to be a thing of the past....
Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #1238
S13VE

My setup is currently being bead blasted before the build begins. Head, Block, Crank all passed inspections.

Builder was very happy with the block/crank, but I hunted around specifically for something that had a very minor failure (cracked ring land) and no bearing failure on a virgin block.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #1239
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Nice!

I am awaiting to hear back from my cage builder as I am planning on getting a half caged installed.

Next; fixed the shifter popping out of the shifter cup, fuel pickup issue, diff swap to S15 diff, and clean up IM. But mostly drive!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #1240
S13VE

I did the s15 diff swap when I swapped subframes, made a big difference to rear end grip.

Very happy for the minimal $$.

I went a little custom and retained my CA crown and pinion and used just the helical centre.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #1241
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
^^ I am going to grab a holley hydramat. Thanks for reminding me!

So.........anyone else want to report on thier setup?? I see a bunch via insta, but build threads seem to be a thing of the past....
My build thread was systematically destroyed by Photobucket... On other news, the car is now located in Pa which I am stoked about. Time to get to work.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #1242
turtl631
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
turtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm very slowly reassembling. Hoping to get it dyno tuned this spring sometime and see how 2.0/N1/7163 setup does.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:32 AM   #1243
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ I hope to do the same. Turns out the AL fittings don't play well with PS fluid so I have all new PS lines and Steel fittings to fix.

I think I am on the Def train. The N1 may perform much better than internet/drag racing wisdom
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #1244
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
^^ I hope to do the same. Turns out the AL fittings don't play well with PS fluid so I have all new PS lines and Steel fittings to fix.

I think I am on the Def train. The N1 may perform much better than internet/drag racing wisdom
Everything I’ve seen that compares the VE cams shows the true value of them. I’m looking forward to getting mine swapped over and re-dyno’d.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #1245
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Jr. You are in Philly about 2 hours north of me! When and where are you planning to dyno?? I usually take my vehicle to JK tuning in Carlise. I have a roll bar and a few odds and ends planned for March in preparation for the first track day in April. At some point between now an then, I would like to make my way up to JK for a new tune with N1 cams, E85 and a boat load of boost and drivability and track day tune.

Let me know how your schedule shakes out. There is another SR Z32 (no VE however), I will also be planning to meet up with to lend him a hand in a few things

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #1246
S13VE

Pics have started coming in from the builder.

This is after glass bead blasting.

Next step is final acid wash/pressure wash with bungs etc removed and we can start the build.

https://imgur.com/a/XlMRxX5
Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #1247
PRT73

PRT73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello everybody . I'm looking for information. Who uses Brian crower valve springs BC1030 in their construction? I wonder if they are reliable for 8500 RPM ? . have offered me a new game at a good price

Thanks you
PRT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #1248
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRT73 View Post
Hello everybody . I'm looking for information. Who uses Brian crower valve springs BC1030 in their construction? I wonder if they are reliable for 8500 RPM ? . have offered me a new game at a good price

Thanks you
I’d use Supertech over BC. Supertech has been know to use superior metal.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 AM   #1249
PRT73

Quote:
I’d use Supertech over BC. Supertech has been know to use superior metal.

hello, thank you for your comment. I saw that Brian crower was manufactured by PAC racing. What do you think of kelford beehive springs?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 AM   #1250
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
hello, thank you for your comment. I saw that Brian crower was manufactured by PAC racing. What do you think of kelford beehive springs?
I’ve never used Kelford springs so I can’t comment on them. Honestly, I haven’t looked into springs in years. With that said, beehive springs are used in the Honda and Mitsubishi world prevalently with large success. Keep in mind, the lower spring rating of the Supertech springs is sufficient to prevent valve float in higher rpms while also minimizing unnecessary premature wear of valve train components.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #1251
immy21

immy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13VE View Post
What setup did you go with?
1. Link NS15 G4+ plugin ECU with external Link E-Throttle module
2. Bosch Motorsports 60mm TB 0280 750 151
but VW/Audi 1.8t TB also works, both TB bolt onto DE/DET with M8-M6 thread reducing inserts
3. 350z throttle pedal assembly with sensor
350z pedal cut off south of hinge and bend, Stock Schassis pedal welded on
Chassis throttle stopped extended to reduce travel.

Would be nice to see more S chassis owners playing with DBW
For VE builds I guess it would simplify certain aspects, with no throttle cable and no IACV/wiring needed.
immy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #1252
PRT73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRSHARP_240SX View Post
I run N1 cams without valve reliefs without issues. I used a thicker head gasket to help.
Hello , you use pistons sr20det 8:5 ? and gasket 1,8mm ? thanks you
Old 04-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #1253
PRT73

Quote:
I’ve never used Kelford springs so I can’t comment on them. Honestly, I haven’t looked into springs in years. With that said, beehive springs are used in the Honda and Mitsubishi world prevalently with large success. Keep in mind, the lower spring rating of the Supertech springs is sufficient to prevent valve float in higher rpms while also minimizing unnecessary premature wear of valve train components.
ok thanks ,
i am looking for supertech or kelford dual (which uses retainer stock apparently)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #1254
RZRSHARP_240SX
Leaky Injector

RZRSHARP_240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hello , you use pistons sr20det 8:5 ? and gasket 1,8mm ? thanks you
They are 8.5:1 Stroker pistons. With a 1.8mm headgasket
Total calculated Compression ratio is 8.7:1
RZRSHARP_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #1255
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys I have a stock P12 head lying around and most components to do a RWD VET. Power goal is ~500-550 if twin scroll Gtx 3071r allows it. Competitive drift car, fast spool time is a plus.

I have N1 intake and a normal non-N1 sr16ve exhaust camshafts on the P12 head. What do you guys think of this combination? with this small turbo.

With this camshaft combination would I need VE pistons?

I have all stock valvetrain on the head, what would you guys suggest to change/upgrade?

Thanks
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #1256
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
Hey guys I have a stock P12 head lying around and most components to do a RWD VET. Power goal is ~500-550 if twin scroll Gtx 3071r allows it. Competitive drift car, fast spool time is a plus.

I have N1 intake and a normal non-N1 sr16ve exhaust camshafts on the P12 head. What do you guys think of this combination? with this small turbo.

With this camshaft combination would I need VE pistons?

I have all stock valvetrain on the head, what would you guys suggest to change/upgrade?

Thanks
personally I would ALWAYS recommend a piston with valve relief notches, like the CP pistons https://www.mazworx.com/cp-pistons-set-sr20ve.aspx

what fuel you run will have a big effect on your power goals.
if this is a track only car, set it up and tune it for 110 or e85 and you'll get to that 500whp much more easily than a street car tune on 91 octane.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #1257
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
personally I would ALWAYS recommend a piston with valve relief notches, like the CP pistons https://www.mazworx.com/cp-pistons-set-sr20ve.aspx

what fuel you run will have a big effect on your power goals.
if this is a track only car, set it up and tune it for 110 or e85 and you'll get to that 500whp much more easily than a street car tune on 91 octane.
Yeah most likely it will be tuned on 100 octane.

What about that camshaft combination and having all stock valvetrain?
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #1258
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

So figured out my boost control issue. The gate wasn't preloaded. This thing is a riot on just 18lbs!
Old 04-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #1259
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
since you guys are talking about pistons, what would be the perfect pistons to use high comp or lower comp for e85 and methanol?

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #1260
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
since you guys are talking about pistons, what would be the perfect pistons to use high comp or lower comp for e85 and methanol?
High comp on E85.