Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Why is there no solid answers on SR oil restrictors?

How the hell are there so many well running, simple setup SR's running stock turbos, but I can't get a simple answer on running a restrictor? Are yall just guessing?

Turbo: Stock S14 T28. 14411-69f00. I'm 90% sure this is a single ball bearing turbo. I currently run a .06" restrictor as my previous research has led me to believe is correct, but upon removing my turbo after 1 drift event, the hot pipe is very oily inside. I don't know if this is due to blown seals or an improper restrictor. No amount of googling is giving me a solid answer for which restrictor to use while running a 69f00.

I don't want wives tales. Does anyone have a solid fucking source as to what is correct here? I don't want to play a game of "that thread sucks and is misleading". I will kiss your toes and call you daddy if you provide a thread that says my googling skills are bad.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Garrett website.

Quote:
"An oil restrictor is recommended for optimal performance with ball bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure of 40 ? 45 psi at maximum engine speed is recommended to prevent damage to the turbocharger?s internals. In order to achieve this pressure, a restrictor with a 0.040? orifice will normally suffice, but you should always verify the oil pressure entering the turbo after the restrictor in ensuring that the components are functioning properly. Recommended oil feed is -3AN or -4AN line or hose/tubing with a similar ID. As always, use an oil filter that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.

OIL LEAKAGE SHOULD NOT OCCUR ON A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING SYSTEM IF RESTRICTOR IS NOT USED UNLESS THE SYSTEM PRESSURE IS EXCESSIVELY HIGH."

Straight from the mfr. Why don't people think to look to the company that manufactured their parts for recommendations and specifications for proper operation? And it isn't different on every individual turbo. Garrett manufactures their turbos to a general set of operating conditions for cooling and oiling.

So, as always, it depends. The oil pressure is key here. Can you run a bb turbo with no restrictor? sure. If your oil pressure is below 40-45 psi. What size of feed line are you running? what side of drain line? if there is a restriction in the drain, the pressure the turbo will see increases. There isn't a blanket yes/no answer.

Example, I see about 65 psi oil pressure when my engine is cold at cruising rpms (3.5K ish) but when the motor heats up that'll go down to 55-57 as taken at the oil filter block. I need a cooler setup but, with a -4AN line and appropriately sized adapter on my BW journal bearing turbo, I have no issues.

TL;DR - it depends, but, measure your oil pressure at the feed line. .060" may be too large if pressure on the turbo side is exceeding 40-45psi peak (I read drift so, I'm guessing that's a yes.)

Also in for people who operated outside of this just fine. That'll happen too. This is just Garrett's recommendation, not absolute law.

Last edited by NukeKS14; 03-25-2020 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: amplifying info
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post

Straight from the mfr. Why don't people think to look to the company that manufactured their parts for recommendations and specifications for proper operation? And it isn't different on every individual turbo. Garrett manufactures their turbos to a general set of operating conditions for cooling and oiling.

So, as always, it depends. The oil pressure is key here. Can you run a bb turbo with no restrictor? sure. If your oil pressure is below 40-45 psi. What size of feed line are you running? what side of drain line? if there is a restriction in the drain, the pressure the turbo will see increases. There isn't a blanket yes/no answer.

Example, I see about 65 psi oil pressure when my engine is cold at cruising rpms (3.5K ish) but when the motor heats up that'll go down to 55-57 as taken at the oil filter block. I need a cooler setup but, with a -4AN line and appropriately sized adapter on my BW journal bearing turbo, I have no issues.

TL;DR - it depends, but, measure your oil pressure at the feed line. .060" may be too large if pressure on the turbo side is exceeding 40-45psi peak (I read drift so, I'm guessing that's a yes.)

Also in for people who operated outside of this just fine. That'll happen too. This is just Garrett's recommendation, not absolute law.
Thank you. This is a good start. When drifting my oil pressure often exceeds 60psi at the oil filter block. My oil drain is plenty adequate.

I guess I'm also looking for a solid answer on the turbo itself. I cannot find hard evidence as to if the 69f00 is ball bearing or not. I plan on disassembling this weekend but getting some knowledge during the week would be nice.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
That part number is for an rb20det skyline turbo

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbo-...ching=UNLINKED
Old 03-26-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
That part number is for an rb20det skyline turbo

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbo-...ching=UNLINKED
Not sure where the inconsistency is here, but I'm sure dozens of people here could vouch for the 69f00 being a turbo from SR's, whether or not its the same as a skyline. I always assumed skyline turbos were T3. Maybe they have the same CHRA and housing A/R's, therefore Garrett seeing it as the same thing?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partl...1169F00&page=1

Yeah. Weird.

"The first number is a batch number, it tells you when/where it was built

The second number is the "oem" number. On a nissan turbo it's a nissan part number, on an HKS turbo it's an HKS part number, on a garret turbo it's a garret number, on a Tomei turbo it's a tomei number etc etc. 14411-69F00 is a nissan part number.

The last number is a chra number. 466541 is a ball bearing cart with a 60 trim 60mm comp wheel and a 62 trim 53.8 mm turbine wheel, 466543 is a brush bearing cart with the same wheels. On this particular turbo the second part of that number describes what turbine housing is used. If it ends in 01 it means the "normal" turbine housing, if it ends in 02 it means the S15 turbine housing "

So could be bb could be journal. What are the rest of the numbers from the plate?

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/t...t-is-my-turbo/
Old 03-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

So could be bb could be journal. What are the rest of the numbers from the plate?

That's going to have to wait. I memorized the part number but will have to go back to my shop before seeing the plate again.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Late Zenki and Kouki S14SR’s came equipped with BB turbo’s. There may be a random journal bearing turbo in the mix.

I contacted Garrett directly for answers pertaining to oil feed restricters. I believe I have a .044 or there about a on my GTX3076R. My oil pressure is also 80-85psi under load and has seen spikes above 100psi. -10 AN drain and I’ve had zero issues.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
For the stock SR20 turbos, most oil line kits come with two sized restrictors.

1.6mm / 0.062" for journal bearing
or
0.8mm / 0.032" for ball bearing

Using the larger restrictor on a ball bearing turbo can blow out the seals.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
For the stock SR20 turbos, most oil line kits come with two sized restrictors.

1.6mm / 0.062" for journal bearing
or
0.8mm / 0.032" for ball bearing

Using the larger restrictor on a ball bearing turbo can blow out the seals.
Uhm not necessarily.

DIF lines and many others come with 0.06" restrictor for journal bearing and 0.04" restrictor for ball bearing.

https://diftech.com/products/bottom-...nt=16883594374

I use the 0.04" restrictor on my S14 ball bearing turbo.

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 03-27-2020 at 01:22 PM..
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Uhm not necessarily.

DIF lines and many others come with 0.6mm restrictor for journal bearing and 0.4mm restrictor for ball bearing.

https://diftech.com/products/bottom-...nt=16883594374

I use the 0.4mm restrictor on my S14 ball bearing turbo.
I hope you mean 0.04in? .4mm (.015in) is smaller than any restrictor I've seen.

I was thinking about going down to a 0.04in. I'm currently using an unrestricted 4AN braided line and a .06in restrictor and there's a lot of oil. Going to take my turbo apart before buying anything though.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I hope you mean 0.04in? .4mm (.015in) is smaller than any restrictor I've seen.

I was thinking about going down to a 0.04in. I'm currently using an unrestricted 4AN braided line and a .06in restrictor and there's a lot of oil. Going to take my turbo apart before buying anything though.
Yeah typo, I meant 0.04" and 0.06".
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partl...1169F00&page=1

Yeah. Weird.

"The first number is a batch number, it tells you when/where it was built

The second number is the "oem" number. On a nissan turbo it's a nissan part number, on an HKS turbo it's an HKS part number, on a garret turbo it's a garret number, on a Tomei turbo it's a tomei number etc etc. 14411-69F00 is a nissan part number.

The last number is a chra number. 466541 is a ball bearing cart with a 60 trim 60mm comp wheel and a 62 trim 53.8 mm turbine wheel, 466543 is a brush bearing cart with the same wheels. On this particular turbo the second part of that number describes what turbine housing is used. If it ends in 01 it means the "normal" turbine housing, if it ends in 02 it means the S15 turbine housing "

At my garage now. Tag is a 466541-7001. So ball bearing, S14 turbine housing. Exactly what I was speculating, cool. Gonna order seals and a smaller restrictor, should do me good.

Thanks Nuke and Sy.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I currently use a .035 on a gt28rs turbo. https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=RES

Next turbo setup i do, I probably will use one of these. https://www.turbosmart.com/product/opr-t40-40psi-black/
Old 03-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
I currently use a .035 on a gt28rs turbo. https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=RES

Next turbo setup i do, I probably will use one of these. https://www.turbosmart.com/product/opr-t40-40psi-black/

Now that is slick. I didnt know those existed. I just grabbed one of their wastegates and they make some nice stuff. Bookmarked.