Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
S14Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Synapse bov

Is anyone using this brand bov or has used it before on there sr20. Is a good bov or should I look at some other brand. Couldn't find any videos online on sr running this. Asked around and was told that it's a really quiet bov compare to like a hks or greddy. Any help will be good thanks
S14Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
DamianN.
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
DamianN. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Do you want a loud bov?

What do you use your car for?

It is usually person choice of what you want to use.
DamianN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Lee View Post
Is anyone using this brand bov or has used it before on there sr20. Is a good bov or should I look at some other brand. Couldn't find any videos online on sr running this. Asked around and was told that it's a really quiet bov compare to like a hks or greddy. Any help will be good thanks
i just googled " synapse bov sr20 " and the first few results showed a video from youtube.

take your laziness elsewhere
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

I already saw that one on YouTube so not trying to be lazy I just want to know from personal experience if it's a pretty good bov. I'm using a greddy knockoff one right now that sounds pretty good for loudness but I was told that the synapse is even quieter and that one video it doesnt give a good example if it did I won't be asking on here
Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Matthew Murphy
Leaky Injector

Matthew Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
get a qr tail bov. they are awesome, recirculating and its so quit
Matthew Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

I'm not looking for a quiet bov I want something like how loud my knockoff greddy is but heard the synapse is very quiet compare to a greddy or hks
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
oi...another case of form over function...

if you want loud, just buy an HKS SSQV4 and turn your boost up...stop buying knock off shit

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

Lol it came with the fmic kit figure I'd use it and save up for a good one so it's that time because knockoff one is leaking
Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
well if youre looking for really good perfoming BOV, the synapse unit is awesome from everything ive ready..the HKS isnt too far behind it, though id recommend you run more than 7psi on it as its meant for higher boost applications (hence why so many stock SR guys have problems with chatter, myself included)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
jvsc91talon

jvsc91talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
well if youre looking for really good perfoming BOV, the synapse unit is awesome from everything ive ready..the HKS isnt too far behind it, though id recommend you run more than 7psi on it as its meant for higher boost applications (hence why so many stock SR guys have problems with chatter, myself included)
REALLY???? I dont know where you are reading that from, probably from an employee of the company. Synapse is cheap china crap. Get a Tial, you will never have a problem and it will last forever.
jvsc91talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

well im only running stock boost so i guess synapse wont work for me then
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
jvsc91talon

who cares what boost level your at, DONT GET SYNAPSE! haha Seriously its crap.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

@jvas91talon are you telling from experience because you have used it before or just because its made in china
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
jvsc91talon

I would never buy that.lol They also make me laugh at the garbage videos they post trying to "prove" their product on youtube. Here is one for example. I also get an even bigger laugh at people who fall for their gimmicks. All this is, is a great showing of how marketing can sometimes be more important than the product. This "Dr." comes up with some biased tests, promotes them all over the place, and then gets people to feed into buying another china/taiwanese knock off part.

Wastegates don't seal that are made today - YouTube
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

well talon, thanks for your input given you avoided the original question addressed to you...have you ever actually used one?

i cant stand when people jump in and say something is shit when theyve never actually used it

S14lee, just get an HKS and youll be fine. ive used quite a few different BOVs including greddy typeS, DSM crushed, HKS SSQV and an old apexi something or other...the HKS is the most responsive out of them all, though it kinda sucks with lower boost pressures, i wouldnt worry too much about that (and talon, i dont want to hear you jump all over me about compressor surge, i could care less)

Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
jvsc91talon

HAHA Well if you read my first 5 words i posted you would see that not only did i not avoid the question but that was the FIRST thing i addressed. I understand what you mean about people ragging on stuff they havent tried, but then again i wouldnt need to put an SS Autochrome manifold on my car to tell people that it is crap. Synapse is crap. In your first post, you told the OP not to buy knock off shit(synapse is knock off) and in your 2nd post you told the OP you never tried the Synapse BOV but said you heard good things(what you bashed me for.) I say again, synapse is china CRAP! I would personally buy a knock off tial BOV on ebay before i spend all that money for a synapse that has the same reliability as the knock off tial. Just saying
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
jvsc91talon

Here is a Synapse wastegate...

Made of such poor material, they literally fall apart.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #18
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

well, im not going to argue on this topic. ive read in quite a few magazines that the synapse was a decent BOV and worked well when installed correctly. would i try one, maybe...but for now im fairly happy with my HKS as they have relied on a vacuum based BOV since they originated the first super sequential over 12 years ago in japan. would i recommend that the OP get one, eh, not really (hence why i kept saying for him to pick up an HKS...they CAN be loud, but they still function correctly when they are)

Old 10-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
my friend runs a synapse on a ka-t running 22lbs and he has never had a problem with it at all! not sure where you get your info from, but i like them and he has been running his for about 2 years.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #20
jvsc91talon

Well everyone has an opinion and i gave the OP mine. All in all its his car, his money, and his choice. Whichever you choose i wish you good luck. To dorkidori, you would really put the HKS bov under the Synapse in quality??? Im really not trying to argue with you, its just a question. To imarvin, i know people that ran knock off tials and greddy bov 25+ psi without problems but that doesnt happen very often and i wouldnt buy one. I gave the OP a consistently great BOV that would last 10+ years.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
i am currently running a synapse synchronic (at 20psi), and im very satisfied

I switched over from a hks ssqv, and have also had a geddy type s and turbo xs h34 in the past on other cars

The synapse and turbo xs are by far my favorite out of the 4 ive owned, its very responsive all delivers everything you need from a bov, which honestly isnt all that complicated. I have a video on youtube which i believe is the only one with a synapse on my s13 sr

SR20DET Synapse Synchronic BOV - YouTube

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Synapse synchronic BOV is a piece of shit. It's held on the flange by two allen keys and uses a tiny rubber o-ring to seal. It leaks like crazy and can't be used vented to the atmosphere without an anti-stall fitting. I had one for 6 months, used to blow off the flange under 15 psi. There have been numerous threads posted about that blow off valve. Do a quick search. They also use shoddy marketing tactics to make their products look superior to tial / hks and other brands.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

^ This is true.. to an extent

I am using the hks adaptor flange for my synapse, i had to have the adaptor flange machined to mount properly, which i brought to synapse to have done for free.

Any idiot can fuck up something great, not that you are an idiot, but if your bov was shooting off the flange, then you sir were doing something wrong...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
RB Me
Zilvia Junkie

RB Me is an unknown quantity at this point
well if you need more feedback then go ahead and buy it and you'll get some feedback of your own.
RB Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Goldeneye9mm
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Goldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeneye9mm has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Goldeneye9mm
Thumbs up

i had the synapse on my s14. at first i had an issue w/ it because some threads stripped out on the shaft for the plunger my i called them up and had a new one in a day or so. the next one was actually redesigned due to my complaint. talk about awesome customer service. anyway i had the maf fix on it and didn't like the stall out issues so i recirculated it and never looked back. it's instant response and i never once after it was replaces got chatter. i ran 8 psi. i fully support this bov. never ran their waistgate so i can not judge it bit the bov is awesome.
Goldeneye9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
jvsc91talon

Haha you guys are so funny. Just cause a FEW cases where people dont have problems doesnt change the fact that the company makes knock off crap products. As mewantkouki put it, there are NUMEROUS threads on how this BOV, WASTEGATE, and COMPANY are shit. Why take a chance and spend all that money when you can buy a tial and KNOW for a fact it will perform exactly how you want and NEVER fail? To badbob2121, to say that a TurboXS BOV is your favorite shows me why you support Synapse...hahaha
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

so much to say about something that you dont own. Have you ever actually owned a turbo xs product either? probably not

And how is the synchronic a knock off, show me what they knocked off please..

why are you getting so worked up about something that you dont own, have never owned, and apparently wont ever own...

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
jvsc91talon

United States Patent: 6863260

The patent is for the retarded multi stage garbage, not the piston actuator design...porsche used the piston style back in the 70's on the 911 turbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronic

two things that have nothing to do with turbo applications

other little tid bits - things like Synapse doesn't use nitronic 60 because they have a better design...BULLSHIT their crap is cast/made in CHINA...and you can't get nitronic 60 in china...so lets make up excuses!

the guy also mentions in his video that his larger 50mm wastegate is for the 'real racer needing to control high boost levels' - ugh, larger wategates are for controling LOW boost levels.

HAHAHA and do i really have to post the hundreds of ebay pages on TurboXS to prove that their company makes crap products??? For someone to stand by a company like TurboXS, you should be the last person to tell someone where to spend their money.

Are we REALLY having a debate whether TurboXS and Synapse are knock off fake crap companies??? Do 1 search on either company and tell me you stand by their crap products.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
what ever makes you sleep better at night, man.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #30
jvsc91talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJDM View Post
what ever makes you sleep better at night, man.
If your gonna join this discussion, atleast have something to say.