Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #1861
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Idk how it's even possible to restore an S13 nowadays when so much stuff is discontinued and not available.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #1862
Ichi-Go
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Ichi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Idk how it's even possible to restore an S13 nowadays when so much stuff is discontinued and not available.
It is getting to be a real restoration at this point.

People are sourcing clips and weatherstrips from Japan, paying finders fees, shipping, etc. I'm debating if I should be focusing my money on retainer clips instead of paint since the retainer clips may never be available again. Body shops will always be around.

Even the old muscle car restorations have reproduction factory parts at this point. The plastic pieces and electric clips on modern cars are the worst part of "preserving" or "restoring" car. Keeping the car rust free is one thing (easy to say in Florida) but unless the car has lived in a garage the first time you pull the dash AC vent it is coming out in 10 pieces.

2005 G35 already has a cracked dash. Should I buy one and keep it in a closet until 2025?
Ichi-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #1863
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichi-Go View Post
It is getting to be a real restoration at this point.

Agreed. There is demand for a lot of needed pieces but it seems to not be worthwhile financially for any major supplier to make it. See "S13 metal fender reproduction" thread or whatever it is called.

I used to work in the auto industry and my company went past the point of gauging interest on certain parts and moved forward with production on a few handful of pieces before they were even available to the public. Then they company was sold to an investment group who wanted to focus on the bread and butter of the business instead of letting people get too deep on the side stuff regardless of the profit margins.

I was part of the product development team but I got the hell out of there soon after the company sold.

Still kicking the idea around of getting into parts reproductions but the finances don't work out.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:23 AM   #1864
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I may have spent around 10k on chassis interior and suspension work over the years.
Engine and transmission are currently being built, and clearly not going over that 25k mark is a long forgotten dream ... The money is mostly parts at a discount. Initial car price is not included either ...

The only way not to lose money on an S chassis is not to part from it. As long as the car is not gone, money is not lost i guess...
I have a lot more money tied into my cars (i own multiple) and can tell you that unless I need to sell, I'm not selling. Its as simple as that. We like certain types of cars and thats the reason we are stupid and throw money at these old relics. New cars are great but I always say, new cars have new car problems. Old cars have old car problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
For the most part, this can be a problem. However, its still possible to do relatively basic restoration by crossing over parts with other vehicles. It would be nice if everything was still available, though...
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #1865
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
used to do restoration on packards and Studebakers with my dad...some of the stuff is outright gouging for prices regardless of labor or parts...its a lot of work between talking to people, travelling the country to source parts then actually doing work to make them pass our inspection (dad was OCD on perfection for these, made for a VERY nice car when done) so for s13s to some it may be worth it...to others not so much. I did find it amusing to hear that a lot of the older JDM cars were now being sold/collected by those that grew up with them and they are also paying an arm and leg for vehicles from way back when...if you have the money then do what you want with it!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #1866
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just buy a mint one for $20k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-nissan-240sx-9/
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #1867
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
That's fucking lame^^^

My car looks exactly the same, but with 92,XXX miles. Garage kept, all invoices from the dealership. I can literally flip through the service booklet and watch the Nissan Logo change in the top right corner throughout the years. It's not 26,XXX miles, but I guess I can ask about $12k for it now.

Anyways, sorry to plug my car yet again. It still just amazes me sometimes what people ask, and sometimes get, for these cars.

Anyways, here's another one:

Would you buy an NSX/R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...or get an S14 (to complete the 'Silvia set') and POSSIBLY a 2nd S15.

I think this is an old grumpy asshole question because I REALLY think sticking to the SChassis isn't a bad idea. I'm stuck in my ways and I know it...but the parts interchangeability and the lower costs to maintain overall keep me in my safe space.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #1868
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
That's fucking lame^^^

Would you buy an R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...and be cool like my boi
Yes.

msglength
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #1869
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
That's fucking lame^^^

My car looks exactly the same, but with 92,XXX miles. Garage kept, all invoices from the dealership. I can literally flip through the service booklet and watch the Nissan Logo change in the top right corner throughout the years. It's not 26,XXX miles, but I guess I can ask about $12k for it now.

Anyways, sorry to plug my car yet again. It still just amazes me sometimes what people ask, and sometimes get, for these cars.

Anyways, here's another one:

Would you buy an NSX/R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...or get an S14 (to complete the 'Silvia set') and POSSIBLY a 2nd S15.

I think this is an old grumpy asshole question because I REALLY think sticking to the SChassis isn't a bad idea. I'm stuck in my ways and I know it...but the parts interchangeability and the lower costs to maintain overall keep me in my safe space.
I constantly debate this idea in my head with X car vs. sticking with the s chassis family with the idea of a second build/collector for that reason of lower cost to maintain. I guess it comes down to how you are as an owner. Some people are content leaving things as is and preserving the car the way it is at purchase and some really want to source some of the rare oem or aftermarket parts which will slowly become a decade long headache..

With all that being said, Id personally go with the NSX/R34 lol

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #1870
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This is a sensitive subject for me because I've considered myself a fanatic of the s-chassis for the longest time and I think I finally have come to terms with the limits of the chassis...and my time/money.

First off, the cars were never designed to be high performance vehicles and it takes money and time to get them to that level. Second, the cars were built with cheap materials. Add some age and you have a car that squeaks, rattles and doesn't have much engineering to justify the amount of sanity you are losing driving in it everyday. Sure, everything can be done to it to make it awesome, but I am at the point that I would rather just buy something that is more purpose built. We all know how much it is to build a car and it's easily twice the amount of what you can sell it for. So instead of dumping $40k into an old secretary car, I would rather buy a Porsche Carrera S and keep my knuckles clean.

/end old grumpy [snobby] asshole
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #1871
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i just dread the day i sell all my shit trying to "be an adult" and then attempt to buy it all back in 5 years after having a severe existential crisis and then realize i'm too fuckin poor to pay 15k for a rattle canned hatch shell filled with rat shit.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #1872
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
i just dread the day i sell all my shit trying to "be an adult" and then attempt to buy it all back in 5 years after having a severe existential crisis and then realize i'm too fuckin poor to pay 15k for a rattle canned hatch shell filled with rat shit.
This is why we need to hold onto them and not throw them away in an attempt to "grow up". I believe I've come to the realization that I will probably own an s chassis for quite some time, and I am ok with that...... i think.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #1873
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:

I had that exact realization about 5 years ago with my s14...wanted to sell it, it sat for 3-4 yrs prior to that. I even went to the point of new battery, new tires and had a buyer lined up. Took it for its "last drive" and said fuk it couldnt sell. Left it sit for a another few yrs till $ was good and now the past 6 months beennin a process of a complete rebuild/overhaul. Couldnt be happier. Ill never sell it, the amount of $ ive spent and hrs worked on it. And id never see shit back in return. Im acually looking foward to enjoyingbthe car again
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #1874
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
^that's the stuff i like to hear.

one of my friends wend mia for nearly a decade but never sold any of his s chassis stuff and just got back into it. said he's super glad he held onto everything haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
This is why we need to hold onto them and not throw them away in an attempt to "grow up". I believe I've come to the realization that I will probably own an s chassis for quite some time, and I am ok with that...... i think.
lol "i think"

i just added up how much i've spent on shop rent over the last 6 years. you can bet your ass i won't be getting rid of my s13's and part stash for anything less than 40k
Old 12-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #1875
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
i just added up how much i've spent on shop rent over the last 6 years. you can bet your ass i won't be getting rid of my s13's and part stash for anything less than 40k

I haven't had to deal with shop rent, Yet. Currently trying to get into a home with a 2 car garage so that I can tear the bucket down and spend another $10k on it.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #1876
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
I haven't had to deal with shop rent, Yet. Currently trying to get into a home with a 2 car garage so that I can tear the bucket down and spend another $10k on it.
mannnnn i've been house hunting for damn near 8 months. not SHIT. might as well be hunting for reasonably priced ganadors or bricks
Old 12-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #1877
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
26 thousand miles in 27 years

i really dont understand people. to buy something, keep it relatively stock and unused, only to one day resell it at top dollar

anyone here going to buy a BRZ and do that? not me. lifes worth living and enjoying, not cryogenic freezing your possessions
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #1878
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

i really dont understand people. to buy something, keep it relatively stock and unused, only to one day resell it at top dollar

anyone here going to buy a BRZ and do that? not me. lifes worth living and enjoying, not cryogenic freezing your possessions
i would agree with just about any other car (figuratively) however i can't say i would pass up something similar to this, if i had the funds of course.

i'm constantly having regrets about not keeping at least one s13.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #1879
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
saw thread title.... is this for me?
Old 12-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #1880
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2001??? *insertFridayDAAAMMNreaction.meme*
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #1881
s14ka-t

s14ka-t has a spectacular aura abouts14ka-t has a spectacular aura abouts14ka-t has a spectacular aura abouts14ka-t has a spectacular aura abouts14ka-t has a spectacular aura abouts14ka-t has a spectacular aura about
dang its bing I still have your exhaust somewhere haha
s14ka-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #1882
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
This is the biggest problem. Not calling anyone out (in here) but most people have that trendy/fuccboi style and think that they have to sell the car they've applied it to in order to escape it. Why not just let your 'style' mature? Most people just end up getting a BMW and applying the fuccboi logic to it. They don't know that they still look like a fucking moron even if their car is newer and 'more adult'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

I guess it depends on what you're into.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #1883
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
This is the biggest problem. Not calling anyone out (in here) but most people have that trendy/fuccboi style and think that they have to sell the car they've applied it to in order to escape it. Why not just let your 'style' mature? Most people just end up getting a BMW and applying the fuccboi logic to it. They don't know that they still look like a fucking moron even if their car is newer and 'more adult'.
Alternatively, just embrace that your automotive sensibilities don't have to 'mature.'

When I was younger I liked dumb, low cars with aero. As an established adult, that's still what I like. Now I just execute things a bit more cleanly.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #1884
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Agreed...younger i was more in a rush...slap the car together, cut coners just to have a "complete" car, then come on here and bitch about it not running right, or poor fitment. With age comes wisdom..and more $. Buy all quality parts, take the time to fit parts right and truly build a quality car, then u can full enjoy it and not have the bullshit issuses. Im speaking on my time in the car scene atleast
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #1885
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Alternatively, just embrace that your automotive sensibilities don't have to 'mature.'

When I was younger I liked dumb, low cars with aero. As an established adult, that's still what I like. Now I just execute things a bit more cleanly.
Ah yeah that's true. I think I spoke negatively on 'style' as a dumb reason to wholesale sell your car, if that makes sense. I'm all for maintaining your style as time progresses, but when people say they're 'getting out' because it's immature most of the time it's the style choice.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #1886
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Rofl i added up how much i spent on cars over the last 15 years and saw I could have paid cash for my house had I not built/sold them!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #1887
TollieLifted
Leaky Injector

TollieLifted is an unknown quantity at this point
I did the whole, "i need a more adult car thing" back in 2011 or so.

Sold my stock (except suspension mods and wheels), 1 owner, old man owned, 75k miles coupe and bought an Audi S4. I regret that on a very regular basis. A year or so later I bought a "race car" S14 to fill that void and it just wasn't the same.

If I had to guess I would say the S13 is prolly a clapped out drift car now based on the kid I sold it to.
TollieLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #1888
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollieLifted View Post
If I had to guess I would say the S13 is prolly a clapped out drift car now based on the kid I sold it to.
That is the typical scenario.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #1889
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollieLifted View Post
I did the whole, "i need a more adult car thing" ...

Sold my car and bought an adult car. I regret that on a very regular basis. A year or so later I bought another car and it just wasn't the same.
I hear this quite often, from people who used to own classic cars that are worth a lot of money or just cars that they are really attached to.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #1890
TollieLifted
Leaky Injector

TollieLifted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I hear this quite often, from people who used to own classic cars that are worth a lot of money or just cars that they are really attached to.
Right. To buy the "same" car would now cost anywhere from 2-3x as much, or more, depending on what it is.
TollieLifted is offline   Reply With Quote